Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle width discrepancies

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle width discrepancies

Old 01-13-09, 04:26 PM
  #1  
dmb2786
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmb2786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle width discrepancies

I was just checkin' out We Keep You Cycling. They have an option to search saddles by width. I checked it out. I found lots of information that disagreed with my beliefs. For example, they claim that the Concor is "2mm narrower than the San Marco Rolls and 9mm wider then the San Marco Regal." I thought both the Rolls and Regal were 150mm and the Concor was really skinny. I normally wouldn't give this much consideration to one source against so many, but this site is convincing because of their Life-Size comparison tool. Is that Life-Size thing total B.S.**********

Your thoughts...
dmb2786 is offline  
Old 01-13-09, 04:29 PM
  #2  
dysFTP
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Local psych ward
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never could figure out just exactly where Specialized "measures" the width of the Toupes. If you wrap a tape around the saddles they are, edge-to-edge, wider than the stated size. They must take flattening/flexing into account.
dysFTP is offline  
Old 01-13-09, 04:34 PM
  #3  
dmb2786
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmb2786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dysFTP View Post
I never could figure out just exactly where Specialized "measures" the width of the Toupes. If you wrap a tape around the saddles they are, edge-to-edge, wider than the stated size. They must take flattening/flexing into account.
Yeah. I'm particularly interested in the Regal. I think there might be some debate about where to measure it because I assume you don't want to sit on the rivets. I'm not sure because I have not tried it. I was looking at it because I'm riding a Rolls and I like the width, but I wish it was flatter and a bit stiffer. According to Competitive Cyclist, the Regal fits the bill, but We Keep You Cycling claims that a Fizik Arione is wider than a Regal!
dmb2786 is offline  
Old 01-13-09, 04:39 PM
  #4  
dysFTP
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Local psych ward
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmb2786 View Post
Yeah. I'm particularly interested in the Regal. I think there might be some debate about where to measure it because I assume you don't want to sit on the rivets. I'm not sure because I have not tried it. I was looking at it because I'm riding a Rolls and I like the width, but I wish it was flatter and a bit stiffer. According to Competitive Cyclist, the Regal fits the bill, but We Keep You Cycling claims that a Fizik Arione is wider than a Regal!
The Toupe is the flattest saddle I've yet tried.
dysFTP is offline  
Old 01-13-09, 05:11 PM
  #5  
dmb2786
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmb2786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not looking for the flattest. I do know I need a wide saddle and this website just rocked my universe.
dmb2786 is offline  
Old 01-13-09, 05:34 PM
  #6  
DaveSSS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 5,239

Bikes: Look KG461, Colnago C-RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
The whole idea that maximum saddle width is relevant to comfort is highly debatable. I never pay any attention to saddle width. I look at the shape (not width) and if it looks promising I buy it to try out.
DaveSSS is offline  
Old 01-13-09, 05:42 PM
  #7  
dmb2786
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmb2786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
The whole idea that maximum saddle width is relevant to comfort is highly debatable. I never pay any attention to saddle width. I look at the shape (not width) and if it looks promising I buy it to try out.
Good point. I really don't have the money to try out many saddles and I have had a bad experience from a saddle that was too thin for me.

I'm hoping CK can weigh in on the vintage SSM issue.
dmb2786 is offline  
Old 01-13-09, 05:43 PM
  #8  
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,632
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
The whole idea that maximum saddle width is relevant to comfort is highly debatable. I never pay any attention to saddle width. I look at the shape (not width) and if it looks promising I buy it to try out.
If you say so; in my experience, saddles wider than ~140mm turn out to be uncomfortable with remarkable consistency.
grolby is offline  
Old 01-13-09, 05:46 PM
  #9  
dmb2786
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmb2786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
If you say so; in my experience, saddles wider than ~140mm turn out to be uncomfortable with remarkable consistency.
I guess the difficulty is measuring it. I thought the Regal was one of the widest. This site says it 131mm or something.
dmb2786 is offline  
Old 01-13-09, 05:55 PM
  #10  
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,632
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a thought: there are three more-or-less plausible ways to measure saddle width that I can think of:

1. Widest point. Both this and method #2 might include accomodations for saddle flexing, etc.
2. Width at the, um, I guess we'll call it the "arse pocket:" the part of the saddle on which the manufacturer expects the rider's sitbones to rest during normal riding.
3. Some average width taken from these two or some other points on the saddle.

The problem here may be that we are always assuming that saddle width is measured from the widest point. If you think about it, very few people park their sitbones on the widest part of the saddle; it's possible that most manufacturers don't measure width from here. Or that others are measuring width from what they believe to be a more sensible location, while the manufacturers measure from the widest point.
grolby is offline  
Old 01-13-09, 06:16 PM
  #11  
dmb2786
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dmb2786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
Here's a thought: there are three more-or-less plausible ways to measure saddle width that I can think of:

1. Widest point. Both this and method #2 might include accomodations for saddle flexing, etc.
2. Width at the, um, I guess we'll call it the "arse pocket:" the part of the saddle on which the manufacturer expects the rider's sitbones to rest during normal riding.
3. Some average width taken from these two or some other points on the saddle.

The problem here may be that we are always assuming that saddle width is measured from the widest point. If you think about it, very few people park their sitbones on the widest part of the saddle; it's possible that most manufacturers don't measure width from here. Or that others are measuring width from what they believe to be a more sensible location, while the manufacturers measure from the widest point.
I think someone needs to set an international standard.
dmb2786 is offline  
Old 01-14-09, 09:52 AM
  #12  
DaveSSS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 5,239

Bikes: Look KG461, Colnago C-RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
If you say so; in my experience, saddles wider than ~140mm turn out to be uncomfortable with remarkable consistency.
I find that saddles with the wrong shape are uncomfortable with remakable consistency. I tried several that were flat from front to back with relatively sharp corners in the sitbone area and they all sucked. With a more rounded shaped from side to side, I've almost assured more comfort. The Fizik Gobi works great for me, but now they've ruined it with an entirely new shape on the Gobi XM.

To get the same sitbone width on different models, it's usually just a matter of how far back you sit on the saddle.
DaveSSS is offline  
Old 01-14-09, 12:56 PM
  #13  
Rob P
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 224

Bikes: Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me apologize for us here at We Keep You Cycling, there was an error on our site. The widths of the two of the san marco saddles were incorrectly stated in the text descriptions, they will be correct shortly.

Life-Size is accurate to within 1mm tolerances of the real saddle. If you print off the rolls and regal you will notice they are within millimeters of each other.

In house width measurements, taken at the widest point are:
Regal 147mm
Rolls 149mm
Concor 140mm

This slight variation is not unusual. Many saddles come in at or slightly less than what their respective manufacturers claim. When pressed we are told this is just the manufacturing variation.

In this case our error had the wrong width on two saddles, however in fairness to everyone in the industry the specs/data sheets provided are not always accurate to the product. There may even be in season changes that go without notice or even without update on the respective company’s website. For examlpe, check out the Concor Light. San Marco claims 128mm wide yet many retailers claim the light is 135+.

We hope the Life-Size cuts through the misinformation and provides you the best possible sizing comparison.

If I can be of any direct help feel free to contact me via PM or email us at www.wekeepyoucycling.com

Rob

Last edited by Rob P; 01-14-09 at 03:02 PM.
Rob P is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tommy2000
Bicycle Mechanics
0
06-26-17 12:33 PM
chris.....
Foo
0
07-14-12 05:08 PM
thebikeguy
Bicycle Mechanics
2
01-04-08 12:11 PM
Turbonium
Introductions
0
01-05-04 01:55 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.