Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/508535-your-most-recent-cycling-related-purchase.html)

SpeshulEd 08-28-13 10:55 AM

I've found with most hobbies, you hardly ever "need" any of it.

I do wish I could find a cheaper hobby one day. Perhaps I'll try to take up knitting, yarn can't be that expensive.

cvall91 08-28-13 11:06 AM


Originally Posted by SpeshulEd (Post 16007405)
I've found with most hobbies, you hardly ever "need" any of it.

I do wish I could find a cheaper hobby one day. Perhaps I'll try to take up knitting, yarn can't be that expensive.

Although true, some things are necessary. Like I'm 90% sure my front tire was at the verge of a blowout at any given time while riding so I decided to buy new tires. I lost 60 lbs so most of my cycling clothing fits me like baggy clothes now, and I decided to reward myself with some nice fitting Castelli stuff while I saw it on Chainlove. That reasoning doesn't give me buyers remorse like, say, buying a carbon stem just to shave a small amount of weight. But I agree, this sport is ridiculously expensive.

bmcphx 08-28-13 11:12 AM

All hobbies are expensive. ever priced water skiing,

Nagrom_ 08-28-13 11:28 AM

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Schwalbe-Ultr...meQ~~60_57.JPG


http://i.ebayimg.com/t/American-Clas...mwVQ~~60_3.JPG

cvall91 08-28-13 11:35 AM

Mine just came in today, but they are the clincher version. Excited to test them out.

Jakedatc 08-28-13 11:42 AM


Originally Posted by SpeshulEd (Post 16007405)
I've found with most hobbies, you hardly ever "need" any of it.

I do wish I could find a cheaper hobby one day. Perhaps I'll try to take up knitting, yarn can't be that expensive.

Incorrect... my gf is a knitter and between needles, yarn, books.. then of course you want to spin your own yarn so a wheel or 3. she makes some really nice things though

cmtbiz 08-28-13 02:34 PM

White Bontrager Road Shoes with Speedplay Zero :)

[IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff149/BlueBird5_2007/null_zps0e2aec62.jpg[/IMG]

BoSoxYacht 08-28-13 02:58 PM

My boss gave me a set of Speedplay Zeros.

itrsteve 08-29-13 04:49 PM

My "2014" flat black road shoe came in today... except it was a 2012 white and black shoe. I know it was an honest mistake and that shop treats me really well with discounts so I kept my mouth shut. Got a set of speedplays and went out for the first ride... Loved the shoes, jury is still out on the zero's though.

http://www.stevelaclairphotography.c...dom/shoobs.jpg

gc3 08-29-13 05:00 PM

Even with discounts you're paying a pretty penny for those "latest S-works shoes" and I for one would ensure they make it right and not take something I didn't really want. But you're a better man than I...

itrsteve 08-29-13 05:38 PM


Originally Posted by gc3 (Post 16012310)
Even with discounts you're paying a pretty penny for those "latest S-works shoes" and I for one would ensure they make it right and not take something I didn't really want. But you're a better man than I...

Perhaps, I second guessed the year.. At first I just thought the color was off and noticed the front strap was missing and thought it was odd. Either way, the shoe is amazing.

alexaschwanden 08-29-13 07:30 PM

I purchased a shifter/brakes set to turn my road bike into a flatbar.
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/...ps99cd7495.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/...ps19fdb1d4.jpg

bmcphx 08-29-13 07:38 PM


Originally Posted by itrsteve (Post 16012283)
My "2014" flat black road shoe came in today... except it was a 2012 white and black shoe. I know it was an honest mistake and that shop treats me really well with discounts so I kept my mouth shut. Got a set of speedplays and went out for the first ride... Loved the shoes, jury is still out on the zero's though.

http://www.stevelaclairphotography.c...dom/shoobs.jpg

You got the older generation than you ordered and paid for and you're Ok with it???

itrsteve 08-29-13 07:44 PM


Originally Posted by bmcphx (Post 16012809)
You got the older generation than you ordered and paid for and you're Ok with it???

How do you approach this one? Keep in mind this is a shop that I have a great relationship with, get the team discount with everything. I was thinking about saying something casually like "hey, were you guys over invoiced for my shoes? they ended up being the 2012 model"... approach it like I was looking out for them or something. Hate to raise a stink over maybe a lost hundred bucks.

bmcphx 08-29-13 07:48 PM

Uh.

You walk in and say "these aren't the shoes I ordered". If anyone has an issue with you expecting to get what you bought then you probably don't want that person around you anyway.

Just a lost couple hundred bucks though.

KantoBoy 08-29-13 07:59 PM


Originally Posted by itrsteve (Post 16012828)
How do you approach this one? Keep in mind this is a shop that I have a great relationship with, get the team discount with everything. I was thinking about saying something casually like "hey, were you guys over invoiced for my shoes? they ended up being the 2012 model"

Why didn't you? You could say it kindly. They should be the one's bending over since you're still a customer.

Just like you I'm very compromising, but this is way too much. It's not even a 2013 at that.

itrsteve 08-29-13 08:10 PM

At first I thought they were the 2014's in the wrong color... I did notice it was missing the front strap but figured I was missing something. Wasn't until I had mounted cleats, went for a ride then got home that I realized they were 2012's after some googling..

The shoes still rule though. I really don't know how they could have improved on them.

bmcphx 08-29-13 08:16 PM

Well they did improve them. Quite a bit too.

SpeshulEd 08-29-13 08:42 PM

I have to agree with everyone else, they sold you the wrong shoe...they could have easily sent them back and got you the right shoe, no skin off their back.

bianchi10 08-29-13 08:57 PM

lol Another one for not understanding your actions (Or lack of here). The 2014 S works shoes is in fact nicer and more money. If you paid for the 2012 retail then not as big of a deal, you paid for what you got, but if you paid for the 2014 which are much more, then you should get the ones you paid for. There are PLENTY of ways you can bring it up without coming across ungrateful for all they have done for you. If you bought a new bike from them with DA components but when you picked it up saw you got ultegra, would you still not say anything?

gc3 08-30-13 12:39 AM

Lesson learned..... never admit on the 41 to having committed a dumb action... the raking over the coals isn't worth the relief of unburdening...

And open the box before leaving the shop...

KantoBoy 08-30-13 01:22 AM

I think you can ask them for a partial refund at this point. $100 won't hurt.

itrsteve 08-30-13 07:25 AM


Originally Posted by bianchi10 (Post 16013019)
If you bought a new bike from them with DA components but when you picked it up saw you got ultegra, would you still not say anything?

Well that would stand out like a sore thumb... At first I honestly thought they were 2014's just in the wrong color and he was mounting cleats on them before I knew it. Definitely too late to send back now, I will tactfully ask if they ended up overpaying for them in error and see where it goes.. I've put 50mi on the shoe since and definitely love them but hate these Speedplays so far.

BoSoxYacht 08-30-13 07:51 AM


Originally Posted by itrsteve (Post 16013797)
hate these Speedplays so far.

What do you hate about them, and what where you using before Speedplay?

itrsteve 08-30-13 08:10 AM


Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht (Post 16013870)
What do you hate about them, and what where you using before Speedplay?

They take an asinine amount of force to clip into, something probably isn't right though. Previously coming from a SPD-SL. I know there's a break-in period but this seems really odd.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.