Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/508535-your-most-recent-cycling-related-purchase.html)

ARPRINCE 10-30-13 08:14 AM


Originally Posted by daihard (Post 16203631)
Okay, I bought a pair of the tights (in small). They are super comfy! Fit me very well, too. Thanks again for the suggestions.

NP. I like the tights too and the SMALL is a perfect fit 4 me as well. The TOP (small size) is a little loose though so I might have to return that one. I really liked the materials though.

daihard 10-30-13 08:20 AM


Originally Posted by ARPRINCE (Post 16204184)
NP. I like the tights too and the SMALL is a perfect fit 4 me as well. The TOP (small size) is a little loose though so I might have to return that one. I really liked the materials though.

We probably have similar body frames. The small top is a bit on the loose side for me, too. Yes, I love the materials!

daihard 10-30-13 08:22 AM


Originally Posted by Smokinbbl (Post 16203776)
sorry.. just saw your edit! when I put mine on steady pulse, I feel like the cars ahead of me are parting like the red sea!

:thumb:

PatrickGSR94 10-30-13 09:50 AM


Originally Posted by daihard (Post 16203341)
I used it for the first time this evening. The "SteadyPulse" mode worked great. I have a question, though. The Cygolite website says the Expiion 700 has 8 lighting modes.

http://www.cygolite.com/products/expilion700.html

However, mine only has 5 - without Day Flash, Walk or SOS.

What's yours like? I don't mind not having those three modes. I was mainly interested in the brightness of the light. I wonder if it's just incorrect information on the Website or if I bought an old version.

[EDIT] Nevermind... looks like those 3 modes are "special modes," which you can invoke by holding down the button when it's off mode and then releasing the button. Works on mine too. Yay!

Yep, I always use the Day Flash mode in daylight, basically any time there's enough light for me to see what's ahead of me such that the Cygolite doesn't provide any help.

Multiple people have told me that both the ExpiliOn in Day Flash mode and my Hotshot tail light are very noticeable and visible from VERY far away, a mile or more.

daihard 10-30-13 10:44 AM


Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16204530)
Yep, I always use the Day Flash mode in daylight, basically any time there's enough light for me to see what's ahead of me such that the Cygolite doesn't provide any help.

Multiple people have told me that both the ExpiliOn in Day Flash mode and my Hotshot tail light are very noticeable and visible from VERY far away, a mile or more.

That's good to know. When do you use the SteadyPulse mode? I see that the light stays on while giving additional "flashes" in that mode.

MagicHour 10-30-13 02:35 PM

Cateye Stealth 50/ + Speed/Cadence sensor
wanted a barebones GPS unit on a budget for both on bike display and for logging my rides to Strava. Mostly does what I need it to do.

Speedplay Zero Stainless Pedals + Bike Fit Cleat Wedges + PearlIzumi 1:1 Insoles + Physical Therapy to help correct some knee issues. So far so good - PT confirmed my pedal fixes are sound (feels WAY better) and is working with me to strengthen other areas for better stability and alignment.

PatrickGSR94 10-30-13 03:13 PM


Originally Posted by daihard (Post 16204714)
That's good to know. When do you use the SteadyPulse mode? I see that the light stays on while giving additional "flashes" in that mode.

It's basically the opposite of normal strobe mode where the light stays on steady, but then strobes off every second or two. It's handy for dark or dusk conditions where you need light on the ground in front of you, but want that extra level of "being seen" by other cars by having the strobe/flash effect. I don't know of any other light that has that flash mode (that I've seen), so to me it's pretty unique. I always use it when it's dark when I leave my house in the morning, then switch to the Day Flash mode about halfway through my commute to work.

PatrickGSR94 10-30-13 03:16 PM

So after all the crap I went through yesterday with the bike chain, I ended up with $20 in promotional credits on my Amazon account. So I went ahead and ordered everything else that had been "saved for later" in my cart:

Park freewheel tool:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....0L._SY100_.jpg

Another ExpiliOn mount to put on my MTB:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....FL._SX100_.jpg

New Shimano UN55 BB and M131 triple crankset for my wife's bike, because the stuff that came on it from BD is crappy:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....YL._SX100_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....5L._SX100_.jpg

$65 worth of stuff before shipping, for $49 shipped. :)

rekmeyata 10-30-13 04:00 PM

On the subject of flash or steady, I use the flash mode on my helmet light and steady on the bar light unless I'm on a dark country road or path then I'll put the helmet light on steady. For the rear I out my main and brightest light on steady at night and flashing during the day if on streets. The other tail lights only flash at night and are off during the day. The reason I run the main on steady instead of flash is because European studies "proved" that steady was better because it allowed drivers to tell more easily how far they were from a cyclist so flashing is outlawed! However, a Canadian study "proved" that flashing was better because it alerted drivers to the cyclist faster. Actually I think both are correct, and that's why I use both...BUT...please don't ask me to prove that my way is better, I have no idea and no proof, it just makes sense to me.

daihard 10-30-13 06:44 PM


Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 16205561)
It's basically the opposite of normal strobe mode where the light stays on steady, but then strobes off every second or two. It's handy for dark or dusk conditions where you need light on the ground in front of you, but want that extra level of "being seen" by other cars by having the strobe/flash effect. I don't know of any other light that has that flash mode (that I've seen), so to me it's pretty unique. I always use it when it's dark when I leave my house in the morning, then switch to the Day Flash mode about halfway through my commute to work.

Thanks! I will follow suit. I already love the SteadyPulse mode. :)

supe1 10-30-13 08:38 PM

Bib tights from Nashbar.
If the hour and a half in the rain at 48 degrees wasn't enough to convince me, the "The Shower of Agony" sure was.

SpeshulEd 10-30-13 09:40 PM


Originally Posted by supe1 (Post 16206423)
Bib tights from Nashbar.
If the hour and a half in the rain at 48 degrees wasn't enough to convince me, the "The Shower of Agony" sure was.

Did you get the Nashbar branded ones?

I picked up a pair of Nashbar bibs for $20 on clearance...they're ok, but not awesome by any means. If you got the tights though, you shouldn't have to worry about them riding up due to lack of grips on the legs. The chamois in mine doesn't come up very far either so it leaves you a bit exposed. I usually wear them at night when I'm just doing a quick 15 miles or so.


And to stay relevant...today I picked up one of these bad boys:
http://www.rei.com/media/oo/80964f37...05af7b93a1.jpg

supe1 10-30-13 10:26 PM

Unfortunately I can't afford awesome. Just need better than my summer weight shorts.

SpeshulEd 10-30-13 10:38 PM

Honestly, I think you'll be good with the tights...just be careful when wearing them off the bike, you might be showing off a bit.

supe1 10-31-13 01:48 AM

Probably not. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

PatrickGSR94 10-31-13 10:18 AM

Nashbar has this Cannondale windbreaker jacket on sale for just $28 today only so I couldn't pass it up.

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...MTc2NDE1MTI2S0

Got the high-vis version which there are no pics of so I hope it looks okay.

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nash...E-RD-FRONT.jpg

Also picked up this long-sleeve jersey in high-vis, which is on sale for $31 today.

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...MTc2NDE1MTI2S0

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nash...J-YL-FRONT.jpg

supe1 10-31-13 01:57 PM

I had an old guy pull up next to me yesterday and tell me that my hi-vis shell was "great" because he could see me so well. It's nice to know that I can be seen. Much of where I ride is windy, no shoulder, and fast (45=65).

VA_Esquire 10-31-13 02:25 PM

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/con...ue_jacket.jpeg
Too bad it is too warm for it

Ghost Ryder 10-31-13 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by VA_Esquire (Post 16208274)

You can always send it up here...How bout I break it in for you while you wait for winter. :lol: ;)
I'm already layering to stay warm on rides. :rolleyes:
:giver:

lsberrios1 10-31-13 02:52 PM


Originally Posted by VA_Esquire (Post 16208274)

Gorgeous! It's a shame everything I've bought from castelli has been of subpar quality... I guess I've had bad luck. I like Giordanna for fancy wear and Gore for practical reasons.

macjager 10-31-13 04:54 PM

Big noob here (was riding a mtb, but not enjoying it and doing more road travel than anything else), but i did, after lots of research and a few days of bike testing, purchase a 2013 Domane 4.3. Picked up a few other bits, helmet, lights and water bottle holder. Great price, and i was the only person who tested the bike, so its as new as new can be...:lol:
This site is a great place for info, as well as being a great enabler...

cheers

george

VA_Esquire 11-01-13 07:28 AM


Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder (Post 16208299)
You can always send it up here...How bout I break it in for you while you wait for winter. :lol: ;)
I'm already layering to stay warm on rides. :rolleyes:
:giver:

haha, yeah it is 75* right now.

VA_Esquire 11-01-13 07:31 AM


Originally Posted by lsberrios1 (Post 16208345)
Gorgeous! It's a shame everything I've bought from castelli has been of subpar quality... I guess I've had bad luck. I like Giordanna for fancy wear and Gore for practical reasons.

yeah, most of my winter apparel is castelli and has held up, but their summer line has been "meh". I purchased bibs from competitivecyclist in May and by the end of the summer the lettering on the side peeled off, the logo is chipped, and the chamois is unstitched in places. Hopefully this jacket isn't the same...

lsberrios1 11-01-13 07:40 AM


Originally Posted by VA_Esquire (Post 16209972)
yeah, most of my winter apparel is castelli and has held up, but their summer line has been "meh". I purchased bibs from competitivecyclist in May and by the end of the summer the lettering on the side peeled off, the logo is chipped, and the chamois is unstitched in places. Hopefully this jacket isn't the same...

Stuff that I've bought from them include. Aero shoe covers, Sanremo Speedruit 2.0, Sorpaso Bib Knickers, Aero Gloves, Rosso Corsa Pittards etc... I can't remember all of it. The bib knickers were "cheap" so I wasnt expecting much from them. They are becoming undone on the stitching of the chamy. The pittards (my fiancee's fault) were put in the washer and holes on the palm of the hands followed promptly.. that was crappy because those were $65 dollar gloves!!! My $18 Giro gloves have taken a beating in the washer and thousands of miles on the road and still hold great. The speed suit, which is supposed to be their top of the line equipment, is becoming undone near the zipper on the belly... A lot of money for something that sucks. I try to avoid buying castelli anymore but their stuff looks so good that sometimes I pull the plug either way.

aaronmcd 11-01-13 10:39 AM


Originally Posted by lsberrios1 (Post 16208345)
Gorgeous! It's a shame everything I've bought from castelli has been of subpar quality... I guess I've had bad luck. I like Giordanna for fancy wear and Gore for practical reasons.

My first jersey was Castelli, and it was AMAZING. It was so comfy I wanted to wear it all day. Tore it up in a crit a few months ago :(
-------------------------------------------------------

Went to the shop to use their cassette lockring tool and bought:
Bottle cage
Seat pack
3 tubes
Tire levers
Frame pump
Bar tape
Free bracket for my Niterider


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.