Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/508535-your-most-recent-cycling-related-purchase.html)

02Giant 07-20-14 08:05 AM

A Banjo Bros. handle bar bag for an upcoming trip and Kool Stop brake shoes.

Bathwater 07-21-14 08:52 PM

Got a great deal on this guy. The ultimate in taint relief.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...Wash/photo.jpg

rekmeyata 07-22-14 06:02 AM


Originally Posted by Bathwater (Post 16961739)
Got a great deal on this guy. The ultimate in taint relief.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...Wash/photo.jpg

hopefully you measured your sit bones and added 20 to 30 mm to get the proper saddle width or you'll be more tainted than before!

edgamar 07-22-14 10:08 AM


Originally Posted by Bathwater (Post 16961739)
Got a great deal on this guy. The ultimate in taint relief.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...Wash/photo.jpg

Where did you get it from and the great deal ($)... thx.

Bathwater 07-22-14 10:40 AM


Originally Posted by edgamar (Post 16963222)
Where did you get it from and the great deal ($)... thx.

$148 at Probikekit. This was a couple weeks ago and they had a 10% off promo for the TdF. Unfortunately, it looks like they raised the price a few bucks since then and the promo is no longer available. If you're diligent about checking, they may run another one. Also, I've gotten 15% off emails from them in the past so that would help, too. Good luck, man.

ProfsrChaos407 07-22-14 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=394695

nondes 07-22-14 01:50 PM

Told the guy at King Cage the stainless steel bottle cage that had been in regular use for about 12 years had broken (for some reason I thought it was Titanium all that time). He offered me a 2-for one deal on a new cage and 2 cages are in transit now. That's a pretty good guarantee/customer service (and I like the cage as well)

King Cage - Bicycle waterbottle cages handmade in Durango, CO

CALE262 07-22-14 03:12 PM

Bought some fancy shmancy chain to try out...let's see if they last longer than the record11's.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps8s9aiuvs.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...psqepdyx0h.jpg

JTGraphics 07-22-14 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up a set of Schwable One's and Schwable S tires.
I use Schwable's on my Tandem and really like the puncture and cut resistance on them.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=394754

rekmeyata 07-22-14 03:54 PM


Originally Posted by CALE262 (Post 16964383)
Bought some fancy shmancy chain to try out...let's see if they last longer than the record11's.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps8s9aiuvs.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...psqepdyx0h.jpg

On their website they say the "diamond like" (note how they play on that?) is a black coating that is harder than most...does this mean that there are chains with even harder coatings? Who has chain coatings harder than that? That only tells me that somewhere out in the lala land of bike components are a chain or two or maybe more that have an even harder longer lasting chain?

CALE262 07-22-14 04:04 PM


Originally Posted by rekmeyata (Post 16964505)
On their website they say the "diamond like" (note how they play on that?) is a black coating that is harder than most...does this mean that there are chains with even harder coatings? Who has chain coatings harder than that? That only tells me that somewhere out in the lala land of bike components are a chain or two or maybe more that have an even harder longer lasting chain?

If such a chain exists that performs well, outlasts R11 and doesn't come with a huge weight penalty...I'd likely buy it ;) Currently getting about 2k km out of an R11 chain.

I also bought two of their gold chains (sans fancy box) for the tool box and another Antares 00 Saddle for future considerations.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...pshsavp8vv.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...psrmrspbf3.jpg

dalava 07-22-14 05:05 PM


Originally Posted by ProfsrChaos407 (Post 16963431)

Angry much?

rekmeyata 07-22-14 05:09 PM


Originally Posted by CALE262 (Post 16964532)
If such a chain exists that performs well, outlasts R11 and doesn't come with a huge weight penalty...I'd likely buy it ;) Currently getting about 2k km out of an R11 chain.

I also bought two of their gold chains (sans fancy box) for the tool box and another Antares 00 Saddle for future considerations.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...pshsavp8vv.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...psrmrspbf3.jpg

just 2,000 miles on a chain? That's nothing! You must be going through 2 sets of chains for every set of tires? Does that seem "good" to you? I don't have a 11 speed bike, thank god if those chains only last 2k miles, I have a couple of 10 speed units and one of the chains currently has over 4,000 and still good for more miles. The real spoiler is the old 5, 6, and 7 speed chains, those I averaged 14,000 miles. But in the name of more gears came thinner gears and chains that just don't hold up anywhere near as long.

Anyone out in bike land getting more miles on their 11 speed chains?

bugly64 07-22-14 06:13 PM


Originally Posted by silkroad (Post 16951130)
You bought it from Nashbar? I got mine after a week. :thumb:

Can't wait to use it this weekend.

Still don't have it; should be tomorrow. What I didn't expect was that UPS would transfer it to the Post Office for delivery instead of delivering it. I will think twice before buying from Nashbar and will continue to avoid UPS too.

gsa103 07-22-14 08:24 PM


Originally Posted by rekmeyata (Post 16964505)
On their website they say the "diamond like" (note how they play on that?) is a black coating that is harder than most...does this mean that there are chains with even harder coatings? Who has chain coatings harder than that? That only tells me that somewhere out in the lala land of bike components are a chain or two or maybe more that have an even harder longer lasting chain?

"Diamond like carbon coating" is actually technical term. It describes a family of coating technologies.
Diamond-like carbon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CALE262 07-22-14 08:43 PM


Originally Posted by rekmeyata (Post 16964723)
just 2,000 miles on a chain? That's nothing! You must be going through 2 sets of chains for every set of tires? Does that seem "good" to you? I don't have a 11 speed bike, thank god if those chains only last 2k miles, I have a couple of 10 speed units and one of the chains currently has over 4,000 and still good for more miles. The real spoiler is the old 5, 6, and 7 speed chains, those I averaged 14,000 miles. But in the name of more gears came thinner gears and chains that just don't hold up anywhere near as long.

Anyone out in bike land getting more miles on their 11 speed chains?


OT but, Just checked the actual milage on the last Record chain, just under 3000km (2000 miles'ish)...noticed it was pretty noisy on the last ride and measured it at 0.75...should change it out at 0.5 and if it wasn't noisy I'd still be riding it. However, I have been told that the Chorus chain will last allot longer with a mild weight penalty.

(note to self; check chain more often)

rekmeyata 07-22-14 08:55 PM


Originally Posted by bugly64 (Post 16964875)
Still don't have it; should be tomorrow. What I didn't expect was that UPS would transfer it to the Post Office for delivery instead of delivering it. I will think twice before buying from Nashbar and will continue to avoid UPS too.

Why would you blame Nashbar for UPS's problem? Nashbar chooses the most economical form of shipping for their lowest cost and sometimes free shipping, you just have to grow up and except the fact that UPS or whatever mail service may be slow when you have something sent the cheapest way. If you wanted it faster than you should have ordered it Express or 2nd day and paid the difference in the shipping cost. This isn't Nashbar's fault and not really even UPS's fault even though they may be dropping the ball a bit on the time but cheap shipping never promises anything except to get it to you eventually, it's actually your fault for not requesting a faster form of shipping.

silkroad 07-23-14 06:47 AM


Originally Posted by bugly64 (Post 16964875)
Still don't have it; should be tomorrow. What I didn't expect was that UPS would transfer it to the Post Office for delivery instead of delivering it. I will think twice before buying from Nashbar and will continue to avoid UPS too.

They did that to me too. Can't blame you because I know how you feel. Packages doesn't come any sooner.



Let me know what you think of the helmet when you get it. Im pretty happy when I got it except one thing...

edgamar 07-23-14 08:41 AM

If don't mind let me know your opinion about it after a couple of rides. Thanks.

gc3 07-23-14 08:58 AM


Originally Posted by CALE262 (Post 16964383)
Bought some fancy shmancy chain to try out...let's see if they last longer than the record11's.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps8s9aiuvs.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...psqepdyx0h.jpg

One thing you CAN count on is the red and black coating starting to wear off quickly

More Cowbell 07-23-14 09:18 AM


Originally Posted by RPK79 (Post 16950644)
http://www.eriksbikeshop.com/Assets/...C14612_mlg.jpg
I think I may have crossed a line with this purchase...

Only if your from St. Paul

RPK79 07-23-14 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by More Cowbell (Post 16966575)
Only if your from St. Paul

Actually neither. Live in Hastings and work in Bloomington so I almost never set foot in Minneapolis and I'm actually closer to St Paul... It was either this one or the Assos one and I didn't want to go all white since it would have never stayed all white.

silkroad 07-23-14 10:11 AM


Originally Posted by edgamar (Post 16966448)
If don't mind let me know your opinion about it after a couple of rides. Thanks.

Is this regarding the helmet? If so sure!


I did wear it last Saturday when I did my regular 45 mile route. I think it's safe to say that's its a lot better than my Giro Stylus, which I bought(3 years ago) because its comparable and identical to Prolight. Of course that time I can't justify paying more than $100 for a helmet. Anyway, when I first held the Prolight, I was amazed by how much 50 grams really feel, more so when you put it in your head. Nothing wrong with my Stylus, but after I wore the Prolights, I asked my self why didn't I buy this in the first place? Its much more simplier and lighter than the Stylus, and of course, you get more(larger) vents to prevent your head getting heat soaked. The one thing I don't like is you get tan lines or should I say tan circles in your head because of those bigger vents they have. :lol:

CALE262 07-23-14 12:32 PM


Originally Posted by gc3 (Post 16966516)
One thing you CAN count on is the red and black coating starting to wear off quickly


meh...guess I'll find out quick :/

Silvercivic27 07-23-14 04:52 PM


Originally Posted by CALE262 (Post 16967342)
meh...guess I'll find out quick :/

It's a great chain, and the color stays on fine.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.