Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/508535-your-most-recent-cycling-related-purchase.html)

Gus90 03-25-15 08:55 PM


Originally Posted by oldnslow2 (Post 17662705)
I sort of like it but with Spring temps increasing 10*-15* during a morning ride, I like having 3 pockets available for nutrition and carrying takes off like arm warmers, wind breakers and other layers.

I like the clean look of no saddle bag, but I just purchased a Bontrager "small" bag that fits really tight under the saddle.

Then during the summer my lower back is a sweaty mess and rather not have a leather bag blocking my ventilation.

Just my 2. Use whatever works for you.

There's also the Lezyne Road Caddy that is really compact but it will fit a spare tube, 2 CO2 cartridges and nozzle, a multitool, small patch kit, and 2 small tire levers.

http://www.lezyne.com/images/product...addy-zoom2.jpg

spdntrxi 03-25-15 08:56 PM


Originally Posted by bmcphx (Post 17662710)
Might be worth checking out the specialized emt pro tool if you want something slick and small. I've never needed a tool it doesn't have, and if I ever do I'll probably need a ride home anyway.

65g.. that's nice. I have the BikeSmart multi 12 or whatever.. has a chain breaker and all... but weighs a ton.

GlennR 03-25-15 08:58 PM

Here's my small bag.
http://www.glenn-ring.com/emonda/saddle%20bag.jpg

Again, your needs could be different.

bmcphx 03-25-15 08:59 PM

And how many times have you used the chain tool? 40k+ miles and I've not needed one. If I ever do I'll call a friend or family member for a ride anyway.

The weather has been nice and I'm using a case that goes in one of my bottle cages. Have you tried that?

spdntrxi 03-25-15 08:59 PM

^ I'm trying to go bagless..

Gus90 03-25-15 09:16 PM

replacing the Zipp VS I damaged, expensive mistake.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdn...road-bikes.jpg

spdntrxi 03-25-15 09:23 PM


Originally Posted by bmcphx (Post 17662725)
And how many times have you used the chain tool? 40k+ miles and I've not needed one. If I ever do I'll call a friend or family member for a ride anyway.

The weather has been nice and I'm using a case that goes in one of my bottle cages. Have you tried that?

yeah that's what I figured too... going to swing by the LBS and check into the light ones... as for water bottles I need both. I try to be pretty good about finishing both bottles on 2+ hour rides.

scottsmith 03-26-15 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Flashing rear lights for my kids bikes & a new pump.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=441288

Cheers

SpeshulEd 03-26-15 09:48 AM


Originally Posted by spdntrxi (Post 17662697)
you can... the first half of the zipper open up to the compartment that holds the cards and money... nothing falls out.

Hmm, I might check this out then. I'd like to go bagless as well.

The downside for me is, that I like to carry different tubes for each of my bikes...I guess that wouldn't be much of an issue though to swap them before I head out.

gsa103 03-26-15 10:28 AM


Originally Posted by SpeshulEd (Post 17663837)
Hmm, I might check this out then. I'd like to go bagless as well.

The downside for me is, that I like to carry different tubes for each of my bikes...I guess that wouldn't be much of an issue though to swap them before I head out.

I built up separate kits for each bike. Most of a kit is consumables so you're really looking at ~$20 for inflator+multitool, plus cost for a bag. Then you don't have to think about it. Road bike has a basic multitool, CO2 inflator+2x cartridges, levers, tube and patches. The MTB kit adds a larger multitool with chainbreaker and quicklinks, and goes in a ziplock for the jersey or Camelbak (dropper seat post).

SpeshulEd 03-26-15 12:34 PM


Originally Posted by gsa103 (Post 17663940)
I built up separate kits for each bike. Most of a kit is consumables so you're really looking at ~$20 for inflator+multitool, plus cost for a bag. Then you don't have to think about it. Road bike has a basic multitool, CO2 inflator+2x cartridges, levers, tube and patches. The MTB kit adds a larger multitool with chainbreaker and quicklinks, and goes in a ziplock for the jersey or Camelbak (dropper seat post).

I currently have an arundel dual for each bike, each loaded with all the goodies. It'd just be nice to go bagless and carry everything together.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy three of those for each bike though, since they're $70 each.

cderalow 03-26-15 12:55 PM

I'd taken to carrying a Lezyne Caddy Sack small on my shorter (50 miles or less) rides with a flat kit


http://www.twospoke.com/forum/attach...689.878836.jpg

That goes in center pocket with a blackburn airstick SL, nutrition in right jersey pocket. wallet/phone in left.

no saddle bag.

upcoming supported century in Vegas has me running a small saddle bag with the above and an additional tube and multi-tool wedged into it.

will likely run nutrition right side, 3rd bottle center pocket (supposed to be 82) with phone/wallet/first aid kit in left pocket.

Should hopefully work.

rekmeyata 03-26-15 07:56 PM


Originally Posted by SpeshulEd (Post 17664366)
I currently have an arundel dual for each bike, each loaded with all the goodies. It'd just be nice to go bagless and carry everything together.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy three of those for each bike though, since they're $70 each.

I don't carry 3 but I have two because one is on my touring bike which has a slightly different mix of stuff then the one I carry on my main road bike, if I ride one of my other road bikes I simply transfer the bag from my main road bike to the other, takes about 1 to 2 minutes to do, beats spending $70 or more for another bag with stuff in it. I happen to like the Topeak Aero Wedge, very durable compared to my last bag, no water has ever made it's way to the contents, and holds a lot of stuff. But bags like the gear in it is personal trial and error type of thing to find what you want in a bag.

Pump wise all my bikes have their own pump just because it worked out that way with sales, and wanting to try different pumps to see how well they worked, and the touring bike with it's larger volume tires needed a faster pump so that one has the Topeak Road Morph G, the others just use various mini pumps a Topeak RaceRocket HP, 2 different Lezynes a Road Drive and a Pressure Drive, a SKS Wese Carbon, and a Specialized Airtool Road Flex. When I go touring I do throw the SKS pump into a pannier just in case the main pump breaks. Which is the best? I like them all but the SKS is the least capable as far as getting to higher PSI, but so far none have broke so no weaknesses have come to the surface yet, the lightest is the Specialized if that matters. I would no longer recommend the SKS line of mini pumps, the Wese carbon was the last of the good ones, all the new ones they sell are simply awful pumps, built poorly and can't pump to higher psi's that road bikes need without a great deal of effort and even then fail to deliver.

bubbajoelouie 03-26-15 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sprintech Adjustable Review Mirrors For Racing Cycle. I like that the mirrors fit into the bar ends without being too obvious. I don't care if they look dorky, I want to be able to see what's behind me without turning my head away from oncoming traffic.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=441430

Gus90 03-27-15 06:38 AM

Those are nice mirrors. I sometime use one on my left. It stays in place compared to another model I tried that wasn't as well made.

The Pusher Man 03-27-15 07:21 AM


Originally Posted by bmcphx (Post 17662725)
... The weather has been nice and I'm using a case that goes in one of my bottle cages. Have you tried that?

To each his own, personally I think that would look a little tacky, why don't you spring for a small bar bag, just say'in.

The Pusher Man 03-27-15 07:57 AM


Originally Posted by rekmeyata (Post 17665503)
... the lightest is the Specialized if that matters. I would no longer recommend the SKS line of mini pumps, the Wese carbon was the last of the good ones, all the new ones they sell are simply awful pumps, built poorly and can't pump to higher psi's that road bikes need without a great deal of effort and even then fail to deliver.

If you are willing to pay, you can get a small ultra-light and well made pump. After looking at several that fit that criteria I went with the iPump Micro. Fits in my seat bag at 5.5" long, weighs 21g, very well built/robust and can get you to any pressure you want. I'm 60 @ 170lbs and can get it to 100 psi in about 5 minutes. Sure it's work, that's the trade-off with a small pump. If you want speed, small and light then the CO2 cartridge is your answer - just my 2 cents.

bmcphx 03-27-15 08:04 AM


Originally Posted by The Pusher Man (Post 17666275)
To each his own, personally I think that would look a little tacky, why don't you spring for a small bar bag, just say'in.

Because then I'd be adding things to the bike. A half bottle with a cap in the bottle cage only looks, uh, normal.

Bunyanderman 03-27-15 08:11 AM


Originally Posted by Gus90 (Post 17662773)
replacing the Zipp VS I damaged, expensive mistake.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdn...road-bikes.jpg

What did you do, and how damaged were they?

The Pusher Man 03-27-15 08:20 AM


Originally Posted by bmcphx (Post 17666397)
Because then I'd be adding things to the bike. A half bottle with a cap in the bottle cage only looks, uh, normal.

I would like to see a pic of how that looks, what you said was "I'm using a case that goes in one of my bottle cages".

bmcphx 03-27-15 08:28 AM


Originally Posted by The Pusher Man (Post 17666435)
I would like to see a pic of how that looks, what you said was "I'm using a case that goes in one of my bottle cages".

I just took this for you since I'm sitting around at coffee.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...psqfdik6k8.jpg

SpeshulEd 03-27-15 08:57 AM


Originally Posted by rekmeyata (Post 17665503)
I don't carry 3 but I have two because one is on my touring bike which has a slightly different mix of stuff then the one I carry on my main road bike, if I ride one of my other road bikes I simply transfer the bag from my main road bike to the other, takes about 1 to 2 minutes to do, beats spending $70 or more for another bag with stuff in it. I happen to like the Topeak Aero Wedge, very durable compared to my last bag, no water has ever made it's way to the contents, and holds a lot of stuff. But bags like the gear in it is personal trial and error type of thing to find what you want in a bag.

Pump wise all my bikes have their own pump just because it worked out that way with sales, and wanting to try different pumps to see how well they worked, and the touring bike with it's larger volume tires needed a faster pump so that one has the Topeak Road Morph G, the others just use various mini pumps a Topeak RaceRocket HP, 2 different Lezynes a Road Drive and a Pressure Drive, a SKS Wese Carbon, and a Specialized Airtool Road Flex. When I go touring I do throw the SKS pump into a pannier just in case the main pump breaks. Which is the best? I like them all but the SKS is the least capable as far as getting to higher PSI, but so far none have broke so no weaknesses have come to the surface yet, the lightest is the Specialized if that matters. I would no longer recommend the SKS line of mini pumps, the Wese carbon was the last of the good ones, all the new ones they sell are simply awful pumps, built poorly and can't pump to higher psi's that road bikes need without a great deal of effort and even then fail to deliver.

I'm good on bags. I have three different ones as I have different wheels on each bike.

My fixed gear has normal style wheels, so that bag gets a tube with a shorter stem.
My weekend road bike has deeper carbon style wheels, so it gets light tubes with a longer stem.
My commuter road bike has gatorskins and deeper carbon wheels, so it gets heavier tubes with a longer stem.

Each bag also has a multi tool, two tire levers, a patch kit, two co2 cannisters and an air chuck. I do not carry a pump.

In my jersey pockets go keys on the left, cell, cash, credit, id in the center, asthma inhaler on the right. Food gets dispersed as necessary when necessary.

The point of buying the bag would be to not have a saddle bag so the bike looks cleaner. The question is...is sweaty back worth it for a more cleaner aesthetic of the bike? I'm already carrying a pile of stuff in my center jersey pocket though, so the bag could clean that up as well.

The Pusher Man 03-27-15 10:05 AM


Originally Posted by bmcphx (Post 17666464)
I just took this for you since I'm sitting around at coffee.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...psqfdik6k8.jpg

So your "case in a bottle cage" is actually something like a 12 oz can with the top removed and replaced with a cap? Just trying to understand what I'm looking at.

rekmeyata 03-27-15 11:10 AM


Originally Posted by The Pusher Man (Post 17666380)
If you are willing to pay, you can get a small ultra-light and well made pump. After looking at several that fit that criteria I went with the iPump Micro. Fits in my seat bag at 5.5" long, weighs 21g, very well built/robust and can get you to any pressure you want. I'm 60 @ 170lbs and can get it to 100 psi in about 5 minutes. Sure it's work, that's the trade-off with a small pump. If you want speed, small and light then the CO2 cartridge is your answer - just my 2 cents.

I watched several videos and I didn't see anything special about the IPump Micro. In one video a person pumps 200 times and got a tire to 69 psi and then they stop the video? wait, what about 100psi? they didn't show that but the guy pumping said he was very tired after just getting it to 69, you can't even ride a bike at 69 without the big possibility of snakebite unless it's a 28 size tire. Neither the Lezyne nor the Topeak pumps I have make me very tired after even 100 psi. Here is how many pumps it takes: it takes about 110 pumps to get to 100 for the Lezyne and about 175 for the Topeak; the Specialized takes more at about 350 pumps but it's also the smallest; the SKS takes about 500 pumps! Yes, I did count those strokes whenever I used one to get an idea as too many pumps it would take for each in case I ever got asked the question. The Lezyne Road Drive by the way comes in 3 sizes, small, medium, and large, I got the large so the count is based on that, if you get one of the smaller ones it will take more pumps and more effort. The tire size I was using when I did those counts was a 700 X 23, obviously a 25 will take more pumps but it will be easier since you don't have to put as much pressure in a 25 as you do with a 23.

You can't buy into some hype about micro pumps and expect what they say is for real, it's an obvious thing of physics, the shorter the pump the more pumps it will require to put air into a tube, the pump chamber will only hold so much air and only that amount will go in with each stroke, and since you don't have a lot of space to slide that pump the amount of effort (muscle) increases dramatically as the psi increases vs a longer pump, this is why floor pumps work so effortlessly and in just a couple of dozen pumps, and why full size frame pumps work really good, or why the Topeak Road Morph (which takes about 90 strokes) works really great too because you use it like a floor pump so you're standing above it pushing down...so it's true, size is everything.

SpeshulEd 03-27-15 11:13 AM


Originally Posted by The Pusher Man (Post 17666827)
So your "case in a bottle cage" is actually something like a 12 oz can with the top removed and replaced with a cap? Just trying to understand what I'm looking at.

These things are pretty common actually.

http://www.amazon.com/XLAB-1972-Mini...C3B7YTFN23WJ7K

http://www.amazon.com/Tacx-Tool-Tube.../dp/B002SR0JRM

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Super-Ho...C3B7YTFN23WJ7K


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.