Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/508535-your-most-recent-cycling-related-purchase.html)

jadocs 02-18-20 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21326925)
Here's my pair of Fizik R5 Tempo Powerstrap after 10 months and about 2,500 miles of rides. I think I bought them a week or two after getting a nice used 1993 Trek 5900 that I rode with flat pedals for the first couple of weeks before switching to SPD-SL.

I've wiped them down maybe once or twice. Only a little fraying of the Velcro straps, easily fixed with scissors and the match or lighter melt-knot trick. They look pretty good.

I may go order another pair. I have a set of Look Keo carbon fiber pedals I want to try.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...08016229d.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f249fb8e8.jpeg

Does the Velcro still secure as well as it did when new? That's the biggest issue I have with Velcro. The Army switched back to buttons on their uniform cuffs because of that very issue (drove me nuts). I would hate to spend that much money on cycling shoes that relied on Velcro as its securing mechanism.

Rides4Beer 02-18-20 12:50 PM


Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 21332278)
Does the Velcro still secure as well as it did when new? That's the biggest issue I have with Velcro. The Army switched back to buttons on their uniform cuffs because of that very issue (drove me nuts). I would hate to spend that much money on cycling shoes that relied on Velcro as its securing mechanism.

Hopefully it holds up. Had my first ride in the new shoes last night, very comfortable, we'll see how they do for durability.

canklecat 02-18-20 02:06 PM

No problems so far with my Fizik shoe Velcro straps after almost a year. One advantage to the way the shoe is designed, if the Velcro strap was damaged or lost its "stick," it would be possible to stitch a replacement strap onto the old strap.

That would be more difficult with my Scott shoes, because the Velcro is laminated into the faux-leatherette upper material and strap. The Velcro on those Scott shoes is also still good after more than 2 years.

Often when the "hook" part of Velcro seems to lose its stick, it can be restored by using tweezers to pull out accumulated fluff and debris. But if the hooks are worn out then it'll need to be replaced. Genuine Velcro seems to last awhile. I suspect the "velcro" straps that lose their stick may be cheaper hook and loop closures, since the patent expired years ago.


Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 21332278)
Does the Velcro still secure as well as it did when new? That's the biggest issue I have with Velcro. The Army switched back to buttons on their uniform cuffs because of that very issue (drove me nuts). I would hate to spend that much money on cycling shoes that relied on Velcro as its securing mechanism.


Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 21332697)
Hopefully it holds up. Had my first ride in the new shoes last night, very comfortable, we'll see how they do for durability.


GnipGnop 02-18-20 02:31 PM

Just installed new cranks and a new chainring. Purchased this one: Link and paid $74 CAD shipped to my door. Got a set of EUC SRAM Force 22 cranks, took the spider off, installed the DM chainring and away I went.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6c7e2a8329.jpg

ultrarider7 02-18-20 04:33 PM

See.Sense Icon 2 Lights
 
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b95cd496bb.jpg
These bad boys are really bright!
https://seesense.cc/pages/see-sense-icon2

seedsbelize 02-19-20 07:42 AM

I bought a vintage bb dynamo. Something I've long wanted to try.

jadocs 02-19-20 08:17 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e6fa5ed3ce.jpg

jadocs 02-19-20 08:29 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e6fa5ed3ce.jpg

noodle soup 02-19-20 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 21333670)

how much?

jadocs 02-19-20 08:35 AM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21333692)
how much?

$10, pricey for an offset washer...but not as pricey as some other places I've seen. Campagnolo really should really include this in their groupsets IMO.

noodle soup 03-06-20 09:13 AM

NOS 1997 Selle Italia Flite $40

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a6446579_b.jpg

Rides4Beer 03-06-20 09:51 AM

New wheels! $460 from CRC with tires/tubes (Hutchinson Fusion5, but I prefer Continental). They come with the prism decals installed, which would probably look good on a flashier bike, but mine is dark with muted decals, so I swapped them for the black decals that also come with the wheelset. First ride will be today, but they felt good on a quick spin when I mounted them up.

Out of the box:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fec69fbbbd.jpg

Swapped for black decals, mounted 25mm GP5000s and Silca latex tubes. :thumb:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...334fe57d4f.jpg

jadocs 03-06-20 10:02 AM


Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 21355699)
New wheels! $460 from CRC with tires/tubes (Hutchinson Fusion5, but I prefer Continental). They come with the prism decals installed, which would probably look good on a flashier bike, but mine is dark with muted decals, so I swapped them for the black decals that also come with the wheelset. First ride will be today, but they felt good on a quick spin when I mounted them up.

Out of the box:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fec69fbbbd.jpg

Swapped for black decals, mounted 25mm GP5000s and Silca latex tubes. :thumb:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...334fe57d4f.jpg

Wow that's super inexpensive! Pics on the bike!

jadocs 03-06-20 10:10 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8f0f120c2d.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3e60f819f2.jpg

noodle soup 03-06-20 10:17 AM


Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 21355699)
New wheels! $460 from CRC with tires/tubes (Hutchinson Fusion5, but I prefer Continental). They come with the prism decals installed, which would probably look good on a flashier bike, but mine is dark with muted decals, so I swapped them for the black decals that also come with the wheelset. First ride will be today, but they felt good on a quick spin when I mounted them up.

A little heavy, but the price is great.

WhyFi 03-06-20 12:57 PM

That's the TT version, right? Let me know what you think. I have a set of the regular road tubeless waiting in the wings, but I want to give it another month or so for the road debris to be cleared up before mounting them.

aclass 03-06-20 02:03 PM

My first ever set of carbon wheels. What a nice difference and especially in the ride quality.

Sy Reene 03-06-20 03:39 PM

Getting ready to try this when it becomes drier and dustier outside.. only chose this as it seems like a promising description and because nobody mentions this product... hey, that's how I like to roll :D

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bb8a5c702e.jpg

August West 03-06-20 06:17 PM

I've found my Specialized Torch 2.0 shoes so comfortable I decided to give the Torch 3.0s's a try while they are still available. I also wanted something other than black which my current shoes are. Hope they fit like the 2.0's but if not I'll just exchange them.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6986a207bf.jpg

Rides4Beer 03-07-20 10:13 PM


Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 21355722)
Wow that's super inexpensive! Pics on the bike!

No doubt, def a bargain for what seems so far to be a good wheelset. Did 54 miles with them yesterday, in some really strong winds and they did great, very predictable handling. They also tested well on Hambini's wheel test, within 1-2w of Enve 7.8s and Zipp 404s.

Not the best lighting, but I wanted to go ride and didn't feel like waiting for the sun to come back out. :lol:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...827770bb4a.jpg



Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21355747)
A little heavy, but the price is great.

Agreed, not the lightest out there, but when I realized that they were the same weight as the 32mm DT wheels I had on my old bike, which never seemed "heavy", I figured they'd be ok. So far they seem good, taking them on a century tomorrow, hopefully with less wind. lol

noodle soup 03-13-20 01:04 PM

Park Tool flush cut pliers

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...dce51c5e_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...be37c600_c.jpg

phrantic09 03-13-20 04:11 PM


Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 21357469)
No doubt, def a bargain for what seems so far to be a good wheelset. Did 54 miles with them yesterday, in some really strong winds and they did great, very predictable handling. They also tested well on Hambini's wheel test, within 1-2w of Enve 7.8s and Zipp 404s.

Not the best lighting, but I wanted to go ride and didn't feel like waiting for the sun to come back out. :lol:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...827770bb4a.jpg




Agreed, not the lightest out there, but when I realized that they were the same weight as the 32mm DT wheels I had on my old bike, which never seemed "heavy", I figured they'd be ok. So far they seem good, taking them on a century tomorrow, hopefully with less wind. lol

did you swap the crank on that defy? I thought it came with a non series crankset

GnipGnop 03-13-20 04:11 PM

Wow that purple Giant is nice. Dark purple I think is my fav colour for a bike.

smashndash 03-13-20 06:47 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21355986)
That's the TT version, right? Let me know what you think. I have a set of the regular road tubeless waiting in the wings, but I want to give it another month or so for the road debris to be cleared up before mounting them.

Not the poster but it looks like the “new” One, which is just the old pro one rebadged.

WhyFi 03-13-20 07:18 PM


Originally Posted by smashndash (Post 21365987)
Not the poster but it looks like the “new” One, which is just the old pro one rebadged.

Yeah, I think you're right - I saw the tan sidewalls but missed the lack of "Pro" labeling. Those old Pro Ones are going for a song, now, but I've always been scared off my durability concerns.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.