Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ok, admit it! who else was lazy this winter?

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ok, admit it! who else was lazy this winter?

Old 02-18-09, 08:04 PM
  #1  
xanadu
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 70

Bikes: 2008 Tarmac Elite, 2002 Cannondale Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, admit it! who else was lazy this winter?

I'll go first. Got back into cycling this summer after not riding since I was 19 (i'm 32 now). I was not a racer as a teenager, but back in Poland me and my budies had some decent German 10 speeds (dont remember brand) and were raking havoc in the neighborhood But we actualy road a lot since we got a lot of free time in the summer, a lake beach full of hot, young ladies 20km away and no other mode of transportation. We were well motivated to get to these ladies so we road there daily and sometimes quite fast.
So anyway, I bought a Specialized Sequoia this June and started to ride almost daily. It felt great and I quickly was hooked and lost over 20lbs. I got a deal with my LBS to pay 50% of the cost of the bike in barter exchange for my business' services. This was tempting so I got an '08 Tarmac Elite at a nice discount and gave my Sequoia to my gf. Love the new bike but did not get to ride it a lot since I got it in Oct as it was scary in Chicago since. I know HTFU... but did not want to abuse the new ride and could not find a nice cheapo beater (finally bought a 2002 Cannondale Cyclocross 2 weeks ago - like it).
To summarize I did not ride this winter even close to what I hoped for. About 5 rides outside (pitiful), once a week or so on trainer and swimming once a week. I mean I have some legit excuses - no beater bike, got winter clothes late, awful winter, hate the trainer (ok, the last one is just an excuse ).
So how did you do this winter?

Sorry for the long post, but since I was mainly a lurker, I also somewhat introduced myself above since I plan on posting AND riding more
xanadu is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 08:24 PM
  #2  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,448

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2871 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 50 Posts
First, more paragraph breaks are helpful for reading ease.

As for the question ... "So how did you do this winter?"

I was doing really well till the end of November. November was a gorgeous month ... warm weather (above 0C), no snow. I rode and walked a lot that month. Around the beginning of November, I also started a spinning class twice a week, which continued to the middle of December, so that was good too.

But then I ended up taking a bit of a break from cycling because I was sorting through my household things, trying to get rid of as much of what I own as I could. Time consuming! Although I wasn't cycling, I was doing a lot of lifting and carrying which was probably good for me, and I was still doing some walking. That took me till early January.

In January I started going to the gym 3-4 days a week, and walking 4 km a day 5 days a week. I was gradually increasing the amount of exercise I was getting each week with the intent of continuing to ramp it up till spring. I even got out for a couple outdoor rides in this time period.

Then on January 23rd everything started to fall apart with my first kidney stone attack.

I have a kidney stone which is giving me a lot of pain ... absolute agony at times. In addition to the kidney stone pain, the stone is stuck and sitting on a nerve that would make cycling very painful. I've been in the hospital, in to see several Drs, in for tests, and I will be going for surgery.

Then on Feb 7th, my husband, Rowan, lost his/our home and furniture in the Australian bushfires, and narrowly escaped with his life ... I've been very distracted with concern for his safety.

Meanwhile, I started a teaching practicum which is also very time consuming. And I am still trying to go through my household goods ... still working on getting rid of as much as possible. But for now my stuff is everywhere, and my trainer is buried under it all.

So ... I haven't been on a bicycle (inside or out) since January 22nd. I really need to start exercising again, but I've lost my motivation just now.
Machka is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 08:37 PM
  #3  
ILUVUK
en fuego
 
ILUVUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,685

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike hasn't seen (not the bike can see, but you know what I mean) the sun since November 26. It has, however, seen some trainer hours.
ILUVUK is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 08:41 PM
  #4  
Hocam
Ho-Jahm
 
Hocam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the roads look like this:



I use these (cross country):



Or I use these:


The word lazy has yet to enter the picture.
Hocam is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 08:42 PM
  #5  
dmb2786
Senior Member
 
dmb2786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xanadu View Post
But we actualy road a lot since we got a lot of free time in the summer, a lake beach full of hot, young ladies 20km away and no other mode of transportation. We were well motivated to get to these ladies so we road there daily and sometimes quite fast.
better than the svein tuft story
dmb2786 is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 08:45 PM
  #6  
FigBug
Senior Member
 
FigBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 111

Bikes: Glacier Team Ice, Cannondale XR800, Rocky Mountain Hammer Race, Specialized Big Hit Comp, Fuji Track Pro, Burley Tosa, Fiori Roma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I broke my leg, so that limited my riding this winter.
FigBug is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 08:47 PM
  #7  
entukay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
me
entukay is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 08:48 PM
  #8  
xanadu
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 70

Bikes: 2008 Tarmac Elite, 2002 Cannondale Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmb2786 View Post
better than the svein tuft story


had to look it up:

"Tuft dropped out of school at 15 to travel and camp. He spent the next several years mountain climbing and going on long bike trips, including a 4,000 mile trip to Alaska as a teenager.[1]"

and yeah it was much better
xanadu is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 08:55 PM
  #9  
tkehler
Senior Member
 
tkehler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 723

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was lazier than usual. (I'm not that lazy.)

We have had a lot of snow and I couldn't ride. Then some of it melted but I couldn't ride to work for another long spell, because it's on top of a mountain where there was snow (and still is). Then the kids got sick and I've had a sinus infection and now possibly pneumonia.

I'm not making excuses. I admit that I could have ridden a dozen times on the mountain bike no problemo.
tkehler is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 09:04 PM
  #10  
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have nothing to admit but I did back things off a bit like normal to prevent burnout.
I should start adding more miles in shortly.
DataJunkie is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 09:10 PM
  #11  
Karenjack241
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 125

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo Soloist Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been lazy with my diet, but have been pretty serious about getting good workouts on the trainer. I'm pretty sure I've made huge gains in my technique and cycling fitness. Now, if only I applied myself to not eating like a fatty, I'd be all set.
Karenjack241 is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 09:38 PM
  #12  
Sage23
It is what it is
 
Sage23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Shaw (SE WI)
Posts: 574

Bikes: Trek 1500 and Trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time on the trainer all winter was yesterday . . . my *ss paid the price for the time off.
Sage23 is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 09:48 PM
  #13  
JF1
Senior Member
 
JF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 544

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the tune of almost 20lbs since October. It's starting to come off now.
JF1 is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 10:28 PM
  #14  
xanadu
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 70

Bikes: 2008 Tarmac Elite, 2002 Cannondale Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sage23 View Post
First time on the trainer all winter was yesterday . . . my *ss paid the price for the time off.
i also restarted riding trainer daily recently and my *ss is already responding better. http://www.thesufferfest.com was a great find and makes trainer a bit better. wish i had found it sooner. if a keep at it for until the March 9 (daylight savings and hopefully finally some warm temps) i should regain at least some strentgh from the fall and be semi ready to really hit the road.

Last edited by xanadu; 02-18-09 at 10:29 PM. Reason: wrong link
xanadu is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 10:30 PM
  #15  
superdex
staring at the mountains
 
superdex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 4,280

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship, Spesh Crux

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by xanadu View Post
To summarize I did not ride this winter even close to what I hoped for. About 5 rides outside (pitiful), once a week or so on trainer and swimming once a week. I mean I have some legit excuses - no beater bike, got winter clothes late, awful winter, hate the trainer (ok, the last one is just an excuse ).
So how did you do this winter?
Why do you speak about winter as if it's over? Why do you taunt us so?
superdex is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 10:36 PM
  #16  
xanadu
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xanadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 70

Bikes: 2008 Tarmac Elite, 2002 Cannondale Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex View Post
Why do you speak about winter as if it's over? Why do you taunt us so?
it really improved in chicago recently after brutal dec and jan (nov was bad as well). oh wait, there is at least 4" of fresh snow outside now and counting.

still, i see the light, it's coming, it's almost here...
xanadu is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 10:38 PM
  #17  
nickthaquick1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dorchester, MA
Posts: 305

Bikes: Blue Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put on a solid 15 pounds this winter. Id like to say some of it was muscle, as i've been continuing my lifting regimine (im more of a weightlifter than cyclist).. i pretty much said goodbye to my six pack until june. hoping to get some good miles once busy season ends (im an accountant ). i'd like to be doing 50 miles a weekend once the weather turns, on top of continue to lifting and also fixing up my diet
nickthaquick1 is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 10:41 PM
  #18  
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,644

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lazy? I went up a notch; I was depressed. Work was bumming me out towards the middle of December, and from then up to about when I started school, I mostly felt like crap on a daily basis. Almost broke up with my girlfriend of then 2 months (and probably would have lost her), though I'm super duper glad that we're still together. Rode very little, maybe like once a week. I went to the gym a few times to do some core work, along with calisthenics. I didn't gain any weight, since I mostly lowered my intake. It did, however, fluctuate between 158 (up 3 pounds from avg) and 162 (and still does). I spent a lot of time in my apartment being a hermit.

I'm much, much better now.
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces

Last edited by MrCrassic; 02-18-09 at 10:46 PM.
MrCrassic is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 10:43 PM
  #19  
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,644

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
First, more paragraph breaks are helpful for reading ease.

As for the question ... "So how did you do this winter?"

I was doing really well till the end of November. November was a gorgeous month ... warm weather (above 0C), no snow. I rode and walked a lot that month. Around the beginning of November, I also started a spinning class twice a week, which continued to the middle of December, so that was good too.

But then I ended up taking a bit of a break from cycling because I was sorting through my household things, trying to get rid of as much of what I own as I could. Time consuming! Although I wasn't cycling, I was doing a lot of lifting and carrying which was probably good for me, and I was still doing some walking. That took me till early January.

In January I started going to the gym 3-4 days a week, and walking 4 km a day 5 days a week. I was gradually increasing the amount of exercise I was getting each week with the intent of continuing to ramp it up till spring. I even got out for a couple outdoor rides in this time period.

Then on January 23rd everything started to fall apart with my first kidney stone attack.

I have a kidney stone which is giving me a lot of pain ... absolute agony at times. In addition to the kidney stone pain, the stone is stuck and sitting on a nerve that would make cycling very painful. I've been in the hospital, in to see several Drs, in for tests, and I will be going for surgery.

Then on Feb 7th, my husband, Rowan, lost his/our home and furniture in the Australian bushfires, and narrowly escaped with his life ... I've been very distracted with concern for his safety.

Meanwhile, I started a teaching practicum which is also very time consuming. And I am still trying to go through my household goods ... still working on getting rid of as much as possible. But for now my stuff is everywhere, and my trainer is buried under it all.

So ... I haven't been on a bicycle (inside or out) since January 22nd. I really need to start exercising again, but I've lost my motivation just now.
I hope that you pull through!
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 10:48 PM
  #20  
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber
 
Dick Rhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,071

Bikes: 2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
School and work killed my lofty goals of limited winter riding and regular spin classes. I had the first two ride of the season last weekend and I'm pretty sure it's gonna take a while to get back to form.
Dick Rhee is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 10:55 PM
  #21  
Tariq08
Senior Member
 
Tariq08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 856

Bikes: Felt F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did as much as I could weather/school/holidays permitting, but where I messed up was diet, so many damn sweets around during the holidays, and so many big meals..

oh well, i don't regret it, burning it off this month
Tariq08 is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 10:59 PM
  #22  
agarose2000
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourselves. With the crappy unrideable weather (ice!) in the midwest and east, large stretches of the seasons were only for the hardcore on the East coast.

After living there for 30 yrs and then moving here 2 years ago to SoCal, you'd be amazed how easy it is to "motivate" when it's 55-60F and sunny EVERY freaking weekend. I've ended up riding 2x more than I'd planned to, mainly because of how nice it is. I'm a total wuss though - it actually rained last weekend here, and I didn't even attempt to get on my bike!
agarose2000 is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 11:03 PM
  #23  
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Posts: 12,275

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did Spinervals and weight training from the end of November through December and went to a structured training plan since then with weights, the trainer and rollers seven days a week. Been riding outside every weekend and a few evenings since the end of a brutal January. I'm down about eight pounds. Feel bad about being lazy yet? Good.
halfspeed is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 11:04 PM
  #24  
MrCrassic 
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,644

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000 View Post
Don't be too hard on yourselves. With the crappy unrideable weather (ice!) in the midwest and east, large stretches of the seasons were only for the hardcore on the East coast.

After living there for 30 yrs and then moving here 2 years ago to SoCal, you'd be amazed how easy it is to "motivate" when it's 55-60F and sunny EVERY freaking weekend. I've ended up riding 2x more than I'd planned to, mainly because of how nice it is. I'm a total wuss though - it actually rained last weekend here, and I didn't even attempt to get on my bike!
You're darn right. It's really difficult to want to do 60+ miles in near 20 degree weather, even with the right clothing.
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 11:11 PM
  #25  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,448

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2871 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCrassic View Post
I hope that you pull through!
I'm working on it ....... that list is not the complete list of disasters and distractions going on right now either. One day at a time ... one hour at a time.
Machka is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.