Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire Repair (NOT tube repair)

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire Repair (NOT tube repair)

Old 02-27-09, 07:26 PM
  #1  
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig
Thread Starter
 
ManBearPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: .
Posts: 1,122

Bikes: .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire Repair (NOT tube repair)

So I have a relatively expensive pair of Michelin Pro3 with low miles still, but I found a few small craters from where they have probably been cut by a piece of glass or whatever. Any tricks for repairing them? I have a tube of Krazy Glue that I'm fixin' to try. It may be crude, but as long as it keeps foreign objects from entering I'd be happy.

Any other ideas??
__________________
...
ManBearPig is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 07:27 PM
  #2  
Jynx
.....
 
Jynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,816

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
So I have a relatively expensive pair of Michelin Pro3 with low miles still, but I found a few small craters from where they have probably been cut by a piece of glass or whatever. Any tricks for repairing them? I have a tube of Krazy Glue that I'm fixin' to try. It may be crude, but as long as it keeps foreign objects from entering I'd be happy.

Any other ideas??
replace the tube.
__________________
Weight Listing Index (Feel Free to add to it!)

Buy your bike parts here
Jynx is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 07:27 PM
  #3  
Jynx
.....
 
Jynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,816

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just kidding. anyway do you have pics of the gash? If it is pretty round small just fill it with crazy glue. Also a lot of people recomend shoe goo or something similar (something softer and for rubber). If it is a longer slice sometimes there is nothing you can really do.
__________________
Weight Listing Index (Feel Free to add to it!)

Buy your bike parts here
Jynx is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 07:28 PM
  #4  
cslone
Quarq shill
 
cslone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,962

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, super glue.
cslone is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 07:51 PM
  #5  
MONGO!
Senior Member
 
MONGO!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shoe goo
MONGO! is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 07:53 PM
  #6  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 8,891

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2478 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by cslone View Post
Yes, super glue.
+1

Old technique was common in sew up days.
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 08:46 PM
  #7  
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig
Thread Starter
 
ManBearPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: .
Posts: 1,122

Bikes: .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
replace the tube.
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
just kidding. anyway do you have pics of the gash? If it is pretty round small just fill it with crazy glue. Also a lot of people recomend shoe goo or something similar (something softer and for rubber). If it is a longer slice sometimes there is nothing you can really do.
Ha! You almost had me going there.
__________________
...
ManBearPig is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 09:12 PM
  #8  
dark13star
Mountain Goat
 
dark13star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,244

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they are in the main surface of the tire, don't worry about them. I posted about them last year and tried filling them with Krazy Glue, Shoe Goo, and Gorilla Glue (not all at the same time). The glue comes back out in a ride or two from the way the rubber stretches and flexes.

Those little gashes seem to be a normal occurrence with these tires.

BTW, don't pay a lot for P3Rs. I buy them 6 at a time when the prices are good on PBK. I think my last batch were $27 each.
__________________
"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." Charles Olson
https://herodot.us
dark13star is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 09:23 PM
  #9  
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig
Thread Starter
 
ManBearPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: .
Posts: 1,122

Bikes: .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dark13star View Post
I buy them 6 at a time when the prices are good on PBK. I think my last batch were $27 each.
smokin' deal. Like less than 1/2 the bike shop price.
__________________
...
ManBearPig is offline  
Old 02-28-09, 12:38 AM
  #10  
nycphotography
NYC
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,637
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
You sure those aren't wear indicators?
nycphotography is offline  
Old 02-28-09, 01:37 AM
  #11  
Ratfish
Senior Member
 
Ratfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mle Island
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dark13star View Post
If they are in the main surface of the tire, don't worry about them. I posted about them last year and tried filling them with Krazy Glue, Shoe Goo, and Gorilla Glue (not all at the same time). The glue comes back out in a ride or two from the way the rubber stretches and flexes.

Those little gashes seem to be a normal occurrence with these tires.

BTW, don't pay a lot for P3Rs. I buy them 6 at a time when the prices are good on PBK. I think my last batch were $27 each.
Pretty good deal, and it's fun to cancel your CC right afterward too.
Ratfish is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 09:23 PM
  #12  
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,854

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(yes, Google search worked.. lol)

How deep, or long, can a cut be before it's unrepairable?

I got one today in a tire that probably hasn't even been ridden for a couple hundred miles, and whatever cut it also went through to cut the tube. The cut itself is about 6 mm long and goes mostly laterally across the center of the tread.

I would have left it alone if it didn't start to bulge when I pumped it up.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 09:31 PM
  #13  
nycphotography
NYC
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,637
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
6mm? If you see it bulging, then it's basically unrepairable.

But a tyvek boot should at least get you home.
nycphotography is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 09:40 PM
  #14  
Will G
Senior Member
 
Will G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Deflate the tire, apply some super glue gel, and you should be good to go. Anything cut big enough to cause a bulge after the repair means the tire is toast. I have cut a section of an older tire, glued it into a newer tire with a nasty slice, and used that tire on a trainer.
Will G is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 10:04 PM
  #15  
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,854

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least I have another couple tires sitting around. Oh well..

When it bulges, it looks like if you had a cut in your skin and it starts to swell or get infected; the tire's cut definitely opens wider under pressure, so I suppose the casing isn't holding together like it should. I might try some super glue or shoe goo tomorrow just to see how well it might hold.

The other bummer is that the other puncture I've gotten was on the same block, same side of the street. I'm guessing that this one was a piece of beer bottle. Stupid Capitol Hill interns...
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 10:10 PM
  #16  
anticlimbactic
road plague
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: dropped in dc
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
At least I have another couple tires sitting around. Oh well..

When it bulges, it looks like if you had a cut in your skin and it starts to swell or get infected; the tire's cut definitely opens wider under pressure, so I suppose the casing isn't holding together like it should. I might try some super glue or shoe goo tomorrow just to see how well it might hold.

The other bummer is that the other puncture I've gotten was on the same block, same side of the street. I'm guessing that this one was a piece of beer bottle.
Stupid Capitol Hill [strike]interns[/strike] C Street House congressmen...
There ya go, all fixed up
anticlimbactic is offline  
Old 08-14-09, 11:31 AM
  #17  
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,854

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anticlimbactic View Post
There ya go, all fixed up
Hey, that's not fair. Making fun of politicians is as easy as shooting **** in a bucket. How 'bout displaying some comedic skill next time, huh?
BarracksSi is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.