Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Industy Nine Wheels?

Old 03-03-09, 10:58 AM
  #1  
savyen
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19

Bikes: 2008 Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Industy Nine Wheels?

I am looking for any input from anyone who has used I9 wheels on their road bike or know anything good or bad about the wheels. My lbs has almost convinced me that these wheels are worth the money. Originally I was looking at a set of Rolf Vigor wheels however the lbs has stated that the I9's roll better (ceramic bearings) and weigh about the same and they also cost the same. There is also an aesthetic advantage because you can choose from a variety of colors for both the spokes and hubs. Below is a description from their website...

http://www.industrynine.net/Ego

DETAILS:
FRONT : 18 hole / Radial lacing pattern
REAR : 24 hole / 3x drive side / radial non-drive side lacing pattern
DRIVER : 3 pawl engagement mechanism: Shimano // Campagnolo freehub
SPOKE : Machined & cold forged / bladed / 7075 aluminum spokes
RIM : Industry Nine Ego rim: 30mm deep aluminum clincher / Black or White (adds 30 grams)
WEIGHT : 1450 grams
PRICE : MSRP $1099.99


EGO
Our bread and butter wheelset. Bladed aluminum spokes, 18 hole front and 24 hole rear coupled with a 450g, 30mm deep aluminum clincher rim. At 1450g for the pair this wheelset is light enough to race but durable enough to train on. Our wheel design keeps the rotational weight low while maintaining an incredibly stiff and responsive feel. Hybrid ceramic bearings are standard too, leaving you with few excuses. Suitable for everyone from the club rider to the seasoned racer, this wheelset can do it all.

COLORS- Red // Black // Silver in any hub/spoke combination
CUSTOM COLORS- Orange // Blue // Purple // Green // Gold // Pewter // Pink // Brown
OPTIONS- Campagnolo or Shimano Freehubs available. Campagnolo 11 speed kit*
*Extra charge will appl
savyen is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 11:01 AM
  #2  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez. 1100 bucks for a set of wheels?

I'd get the soul's instead. Much cheaper and lighter with ceramic bearings. The rim is a few mm less deep.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 12:35 PM
  #3  
Rutnick
Senior Member
 
Rutnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by savyen View Post
I am looking for any input from anyone who has used I9 wheels on their road bike or know anything good or bad about the wheels. My lbs has almost convinced me that these wheels are worth the money. Originally I was looking at a set of Rolf Vigor wheels however the lbs has stated that the I9's roll better (ceramic bearings) and weigh about the same and they also cost the same. There is also an aesthetic advantage because you can choose from a variety of colors for both the spokes and hubs. Below is a description from their website...

http://www.industrynine.net/Ego

DETAILS:
FRONT : 18 hole / Radial lacing pattern
REAR : 24 hole / 3x drive side / radial non-drive side lacing pattern
DRIVER : 3 pawl engagement mechanism: Shimano // Campagnolo freehub
SPOKE : Machined & cold forged / bladed / 7075 aluminum spokes
RIM : Industry Nine Ego rim: 30mm deep aluminum clincher / Black or White (adds 30 grams)
WEIGHT : 1450 grams
PRICE : MSRP $1099.99


EGO
Our bread and butter wheelset. Bladed aluminum spokes, 18 hole front and 24 hole rear coupled with a 450g, 30mm deep aluminum clincher rim. At 1450g for the pair this wheelset is light enough to race but durable enough to train on. Our wheel design keeps the rotational weight low while maintaining an incredibly stiff and responsive feel. Hybrid ceramic bearings are standard too, leaving you with few excuses. Suitable for everyone from the club rider to the seasoned racer, this wheelset can do it all.

COLORS- Red // Black // Silver in any hub/spoke combination
CUSTOM COLORS- Orange // Blue // Purple // Green // Gold // Pewter // Pink // Brown
OPTIONS- Campagnolo or Shimano Freehubs available. Campagnolo 11 speed kit*
*Extra charge will appl
I have seen I9 MTB wheels at some MTB races. A friend of mine actually MTB races on some. they look very well built and if memory serves me correctly, someone posted some pics of I9s business.

I believe their hubs are made at their shop. Not sure if the rims are domestic or not.

What I have seen looks quality.
Rutnick is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 12:37 PM
  #4  
MIN 
big ring
 
MIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 5,838
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I9s have amazing hubs, better or at least equal to Chris King. I almost bought a set (not ceramic) but I passed because I don't like the proprietary spoke setup.
MIN is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 01:13 PM
  #5  
foresthill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 1,212

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez. If I were going to shell out $1100 for wheels, I'd get some Reynolds Assaults or Attacks. That seems like a lot of money for aluminum wheels.
foresthill is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 01:22 PM
  #6  
Val23708
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,457

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can get 2 sets of williams 30's for that price...
Val23708 is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 01:26 PM
  #7  
dsotm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CNJ/CENY
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Industry Nines are very expensive, but they are a very high quality product. Those things will be rolling smoothly until long after you die. Most of my experience is from MTB, but in that application they are considered to be greatly superior to Chris King. They are considered to be just as high quality, but overall better engineered and much lower maintenance.
dsotm is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 02:31 PM
  #8  
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22,456

Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreeing with the above, $1100 for those specs is crazy. I could hand build a set with similar specs and weight (WI or DT hubs, Aerolite spokes, Kinlin XR-300 rims) for a little more than half that.

If the hubs are really that good, pair them with a good carbon rim and make it worth the price.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 02:34 PM
  #9  
Rutnick
Senior Member
 
Rutnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsotm View Post
Industry Nines are very expensive, but they are a very high quality product. Those things will be rolling smoothly until long after you die. Most of my experience is from MTB, but in that application they are considered to be greatly superior to Chris King. They are considered to be just as high quality, but overall better engineered and much lower maintenance.
better than CK in MTB?



you just don't like the bees in a can sound do you?
Rutnick is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 02:45 PM
  #10  
JeffS
not a role model
 
JeffS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Jeez. 1100 bucks for a set of wheels?

I'd get the soul's instead. Much cheaper and lighter with ceramic bearings. The rim is a few mm less deep.
Maybe instead of building their own wheels in the US (they only outsource wheels and bearings) they should just import something from china and slap an I9 sticker on it.

I'm not saying they're not expensive... they definitely are. And yes, a certain amount of that comes from the bling-factor. What's list price for a set of Ksyrium SL's now though? I see plenty of those posted around the forum.
JeffS is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 02:46 PM
  #11  
MIN 
big ring
 
MIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 5,838
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I9s sound more like bees, only angrier. There are even more engagement points than CK.
MIN is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 02:48 PM
  #12  
JeffS
not a role model
 
JeffS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
you just don't like the bees in a can sound do you?
Nope.

If it were a Deore hub making that sound people would ridicule it. Since it's one of the more expensive hubs on the market they use it to identify their bling to passers by.
JeffS is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 02:52 PM
  #13  
Rutnick
Senior Member
 
Rutnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN View Post
I9s sound more like bees, only angrier. There are even more engagement points than CK.

I've heard I9s and CK hubs on the trail. The CK's have always been louder.
Rutnick is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 04:12 PM
  #14  
eric01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jersey
Posts: 219

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
Agreeing with the above, $1100 for those specs is crazy. I could hand build a set with similar specs and weight (WI or DT hubs, Aerolite spokes, Kinlin XR-300 rims) for a little more than half that.

If the hubs are really that good, pair them with a good carbon rim and make it worth the price.
Well if you want bling, you gotta pay for it. Strictly based on appearance alone, these wheels look awesome. Very unique.

Agreed that if you're going to spend this kind of money, might as well go for the full carbon rims. Yes they're twice the price, but you're getting Edge carbon rims, which have a very good reputation.
eric01 is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 04:43 PM
  #15  
eric01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jersey
Posts: 219

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
Agreeing with the above, $1100 for those specs is crazy. I could hand build a set with similar specs and weight (WI or DT hubs, Aerolite spokes, Kinlin XR-300 rims) for a little more than half that.

If the hubs are really that good, pair them with a good carbon rim and make it worth the price.
Well if you want bling, you gotta pay for it. Strictly based on appearance alone, these wheels look awesome. Very unique.

Agreed that $1100 seems pricey for aluminum rims, no matter how cool the hubs / spokes are. $2200 for nice carbon rims? not too outlandish
eric01 is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 04:46 PM
  #16  
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle
 
SushiJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 6,119

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eric01 View Post
Well if you want bling, you gotta pay for it. Strictly based on appearance alone, these wheels look awesome. Very unique.

Agreed that $1100 seems pricey for aluminum rims, no matter how cool the hubs / spokes are. $2200 for nice carbon rims? not too outlandish
Not much more than Mavic Ksyrium SLs or Fulcrum Racing Zeroes.
Just sayin'
__________________
2009 CAAD9 BB30 Team Issue
MY BLOG.
SushiJoe is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 04:58 PM
  #17  
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22,456

Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SushiJoe View Post
Not much more than Mavic Ksyrium SLs or Fulcrum Racing Zeroes.
Just sayin'
I wouldn't waste my money on those either.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 05:10 PM
  #18  
vinofan
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here you go.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/EAS...-Wheelset.html

Lighter and Cheaper
vinofan is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 05:51 PM
  #19  
justintime8425
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 133

Bikes: 07' Biacnchi Pista, 06' Felt Jumpshot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would buy these. If their road wheels possess any of the same qualities as their mtn. bike wheels then they are 100% bad ass. I seem them all over town here in AVL, but i guess thats because they're made just right down the road.
justintime8425 is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 06:34 PM
  #20  
Spookykinkajou
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 494

Bikes: Titus Modena

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, the road hubs are not the same as their mtb hubs. They are slower engaging and supposedly have a lot less drag. I got this straight from I9 when I was considering them a few months ago.

I, basically, decided they were definitely not worth the money. They do look cool, though, and if I had oodles of money to spend on whatever I wanted I would certainly own a pair

If you want to shell out that kind of $ and get something worthy of the price, consider Ligero SLW. Sub 1400 grams and a few hundred less than the I9.
Spookykinkajou is offline  
Old 03-04-09, 10:23 AM
  #21  
vinofan
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are arriving at my parents tomorrow. If you look around enough you can find a good deal.
http://www.geartrade.com/item/74038
vinofan is offline  
Old 03-04-09, 10:45 AM
  #22  
dsotm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CNJ/CENY
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those reynolds there certainly look like a good deal. But if you want indy nines and can afford the carbon ones, it would be worth the upgrade, 1100 grams is nothing to sneeze at, never mind the performance and looks.
dsotm is offline  
Old 03-04-09, 10:56 AM
  #23  
vinofan
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The carbon nines are pretty nice looking wheels, customizing the color would awesome too.
vinofan is offline  
Old 03-04-09, 11:21 AM
  #24  
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle
 
SushiJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 6,119

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dig the red hubs and spokes.
__________________
2009 CAAD9 BB30 Team Issue
MY BLOG.
SushiJoe is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ilikebikes
Foo
0
11-24-09 02:40 PM
dmotoguy
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
1
07-06-09 09:32 AM
hiromian
Bicycle Mechanics
2
12-08-08 08:50 PM
Eyestrain
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
33
01-14-08 09:04 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.