Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Allez vs Giant OCR3

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized Allez vs Giant OCR3

Reply

Old 06-01-04, 12:52 PM
  #1  
LordViperScorpn
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Specialized Allez vs Giant OCR3

I am a newb to road racing. I just want a good bike to get me started. I have checked out some local bike shops and the two bikes I am looking at are the Specialized allez and the Giant OCR3. To me they seem like very similar bikes. I was hoping someone could provide me some insight that would help me decide which bike to choose or maybe someone knows a better bike that is in about the same price range
LordViperScorpn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 01:37 PM
  #2  
shaq-d
been ridin?
 
shaq-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: toronto
Posts: 598

Bikes: serotta cti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, frankly, you're right, they are very similar bikes. the allez seemed more racer-like adn the ocr more comfortable. have you taken them for rides? all that counts is how you feel when you're on them. myself, i prefer the ocr. fine bike. but people who post who have allez's are happy with them too. u can't go wrong with either

sd
shaq-d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 01:56 PM
  #3  
LordViperScorpn
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by shaq-d
well, frankly, you're right, they are very similar bikes. the allez seemed more racer-like adn the ocr more comfortable. have you taken them for rides? all that counts is how you feel when you're on them. myself, i prefer the ocr. fine bike. but people who post who have allez's are happy with them too. u can't go wrong with either

sd

I have rode both and I liked both and because of my newbishness I was leaning toward the allez because I liked the plain black color. The giant came in black and yellow. Though that is not bad colors I was just more partial to the plain black. I was justing wondering if there was something that I had missed about the two bikes that someone could tell me. I know that each dealers was going to push the bike they were selling. I think that I would be happy with either bike but just making sure I am not missing something important that one bikes has that the other doesnt that would be essential to my rides. Thanks for you input.
LordViperScorpn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 02:22 PM
  #4  
Iron Chef
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Specialized has a carbon fork or at least a carbon legs and Cro-Mo steerer. I don't know about the Giant it may have an aluminum fork you can follow-up on that. Aluminum fork is a little rougher ride they say. My guess is the forks are pretty much the same. For X amount of dollars you pretty much get the same set of options from most the major builders. I would go with the shop I like best. The Specialized has Tiagra rear derraileur. The Giant is all Sora. Since the rest of the Specialized components are Sora then there is little advantage to the better rear derraileur. I think they just put it there to say look with have a better components but the shifters are still lowend.

Both bikes look like girls bikes. Any particular reason for going with the sloping top tube? A lot of companies seem to be doing that these days.

Last edited by Iron Chef; 06-01-04 at 02:35 PM.
Iron Chef is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 02:33 PM
  #5  
shaq-d
been ridin?
 
shaq-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: toronto
Posts: 598

Bikes: serotta cti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the giant also has a cromo steerer/fork. anyway both of these bikes are rock-solid. definitely pick the one that draws you to it; you'll ride it more. if it's the colour, then pick that one. you should also know that both the allez and the ocr can be upgraded with componentry and be full-fledged race bikes; the frames are light and stiff.

sd

edited: oops. from the giant site it looks like the ocr3's fork is a composite with aluminum steerer. guess things have changed a bit in a few years.

Last edited by shaq-d; 06-01-04 at 02:39 PM.
shaq-d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 02:44 PM
  #6  
LordViperScorpn
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Iron Chef
The Specialized has a carbon fork or at least a carbon legs and Cro-Mo steerer. I don't know about the Giant it may have an aluminum fork you can follow-up on that. Aluminum fork is a little rougher ride they say. My guess is the forks are pretty much the same. For X amount of dollars you pretty much get the same set of options from most the major builders. I would go with the shop I like best. The Specialized has Tiagra rear derraileur. The Giant is all Sora. Since the rest of the Specialized components are Sora then there is little advantage to the better rear derraileur. I think they just put it there to say look with have a better components but the shifters are still lowend.

Both bikes look like girls bikes. Any particular reason for going with the sloping top tube? A lot of companies seem to be doing that these days.

I dont really have a reason for going with the sloping top tubes if you are asking me. I just went into the bike shops with very little knowledge of the sport or bikes. I was like look I am a poor college student but, I want a nice bike that I can be competitive with. The specialized guy pointed out his bike and told me for $600 dollars it was a good bike. He explained all the components and what not and told me to come back saturday and ride the bike( I was in dress pants and shirt, just got off work) I though to myself that $600 dollars was little more than I wanted to spend but I would just have to save up a little longer than what I was expecting. I then visited other bike shops and told I wanted to spend about $600 dollars and told what I wanted and the only other bike I found for that price was the OCR3. So no there is no particular reason I was going for the sloping top tube just going off the advice of the guys in the bike shops.
LordViperScorpn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 02:48 PM
  #7  
originalbart
Ride to remember
 
originalbart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario
Posts: 198

Bikes: 02 Giant OCR 3, 95 Kona Cinder Cone, 83 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just did a little ride yesterday with a friend who purchased the 2004 OCR3. It's his first road bike and he's loving it. The bike has a compsite fork with an aluminum steerer. The only thing I could do without is the 2nd pair of brakes. I don't know if they're catering to the cyclocross crowd or figure that newbies spend most of their time with their hands up on the top (he did).

I have the 2002 version and have upgraded everything but the Tektro brakes to Ultegra. I haven't ridden the Specialized and can't compare the two, but I haven't regretted the purchase. (Only wish I had the new frame.)
originalbart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 02:53 PM
  #8  
LordViperScorpn
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by originalbart
Just did a little ride yesterday with a friend who purchased the 2004 OCR3. It's his first road bike and he's loving it. The bike has a compsite fork with an aluminum steerer. The only thing I could do without is the 2nd pair of brakes. I don't know if they're catering to the cyclocross crowd or figure that newbies spend most of their time with their hands up on the top (he did).

I have the 2002 version and have upgraded everything but the Tektro brakes to Ultegra. I haven't ridden the Specialized and can't compare the two, but I haven't regretted the purchase. (Only wish I had the new frame.)

The guy at the Giant bike shop told me the reason for the second brakes was to help new riders adjust. He said that newer riders would want to use the second brakes as your friend did.


I have heard from several people that have Giants and love them is their somebody who has ridden a specialized. Thanks for all of the advice
LordViperScorpn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 03:02 PM
  #9  
Iron Chef
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by originalbart
Just did a little ride yesterday with a friend who purchased the 2004 OCR3. It's his first road bike and he's loving it. The bike has a compsite fork with an aluminum steerer. The only thing I could do without is the 2nd pair of brakes. I don't know if they're catering to the cyclocross crowd or figure that newbies spend most of their time with their hands up on the top (he did).
...
Trek has done that with the 1000c. They put on a set of brake levers where you can reach them from the hoods. The whole design idea is geared toward comfort riders. The posture the bike is geared toward is very upright.

I don't know anything about the Giant though. Anything you get at a bike shop will be OK and most major brands have a starter road bike model and they all start at about $500-$600 price wise. Except Fuji, they have a $375 road bike but it has downtube shifters.
Iron Chef is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 03:12 PM
  #10  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I thought the new 2004 OCR3's had a composite fork instead of chromoly. Try testing the next one up in the OCR's and allezs. Their baseline versions have the sora shifters where I think the upshift is on the side of the hood in a little knob and the downshift is the brake lever. Everything else has the upshift as a separate little lever behind the brake lever. See which one you're most comfortable with.
Also, ask around for last year's models. You might be able to find the next step up OCR2 or allez in last year's model at a discounted price similar to the new OCR3 and allez's.
slvoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 07:10 AM
  #11  
LordViperScorpn
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by slvoid
I thought the new 2004 OCR3's had a composite fork instead of chromoly. Try testing the next one up in the OCR's and allezs. Their baseline versions have the sora shifters where I think the upshift is on the side of the hood in a little knob and the downshift is the brake lever. Everything else has the upshift as a separate little lever behind the brake lever. See which one you're most comfortable with.
Also, ask around for last year's models. You might be able to find the next step up OCR2 or allez in last year's model at a discounted price similar to the new OCR3 and allez's.

I asked if they had any 2003 in stock and both stores told me that they did not. I would up grade to a better bike because I dont really care for the shifters being in a different spot but, I am a little short on money and I am struggling to pay for one of these bikes much less have to pay and extra $100-$200 dollars.
LordViperScorpn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 07:12 AM
  #12  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Originally Posted by LordViperScorpn
I asked if they had any 2003 in stock and both stores told me that they did not. I would up grade to a better bike because I dont really care for the shifters being in a different spot but, I am a little short on money and I am struggling to pay for one of these bikes much less have to pay and extra $100-$200 dollars.
Check the Hotdeals forum. Someone has an OCR3 for $200.
slvoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 07:22 AM
  #13  
kerny
two wheeler
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: great falls,MT
Posts: 108

Bikes: daily rider...gary fisher Capitola , trek mountain trak 800 , schwinn la tour road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by LordViperScorpn
I am a newb to road racing. I just want a good bike to get me started. I have checked out some local bike shops and the two bikes I am looking at are the Specialized allez and the Giant OCR3. To me they seem like very similar bikes. I was hoping someone could provide me some insight that would help me decide which bike to choose or maybe someone knows a better bike that is in about the same price range

LordViperScorpn...I have been riding the specialized triple for about2 months....600 miles, Let alone some derailuar adjustments shes been flawless...the sloping tube is called compact geometry...there is an ongoing debate between compact and standard...for the casual rider, not a big deal,IMHO.....and whoever said it looks like a girls bike is FOS....I'd like to see them say that as I ride by with my 17" muscular arms and 195 8% bodyfat frame......good bike for the money IMHO.



kern
kerny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 07:46 AM
  #14  
LordViperScorpn
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I am going to go with the Specialized. I do not think that it is a whole lot better than the Giant. The Specialized store is closer to home. I flip flop between two cities and the city I will be in the most has the Specialized bike. I will need the free maintenance. Thank for all of the information and help. I hope to join some of you guys on some rides soon.
LordViperScorpn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 08:47 AM
  #15  
Ebbtide
Senior Member
 
Ebbtide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ohio's Cycling Capital, America's North Coast.
Posts: 4,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both bikes look like girls bikes. Any particular reason for going with the sloping top tube? A lot of companies seem to be doing that these days.
He he, the obligatory "girls bike" retort (don't let that sway your decision, LVS). Actually, they look like Mountain Bike frames.

You will enjoy the Allez.
Ebbtide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 05:28 PM
  #16  
Rushfan
Senior Member
 
Rushfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Woodland, CA, USA
Posts: 637

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by LordViperScorpn
I think I am going to go with the Specialized. I do not think that it is a whole lot better than the Giant. The Specialized store is closer to home. I flip flop between two cities and the city I will be in the most has the Specialized bike. I will need the free maintenance. Thank for all of the information and help. I hope to join some of you guys on some rides soon.
I have an Allez Elite '03 model. I'm very happy with it, except for the crap Alex 330 wheels that came with it. Switched to Open Pros/Ultegra hubs after the Alex hub cracked.

Enjoy your new bike.
Rushfan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 05:03 PM
  #17  
amdaily
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have (close to) the same choice.

Specialized Allez Sport 27 for $799 or
Giant OCR2 for for $675.

From what I've read, the Specialized will need more upgrades than the OCR, but the frame is not as good on the OCR. I'm thinking I may go with the OCR and use the difference in the pricefor new breaks, which I've hard are not any good.

Anyone have a recommendation, given the prices?

[edit] I currently have a Trek 820 mountain bike and go biking in unpaved Amish country quite often. Would either of these hold up well, or do I need to find a new area to bike ?

Last edited by amdaily; 08-09-04 at 05:34 PM.
amdaily is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 09:19 AM
  #18  
Redhed 
Senior Member
 
Redhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 494

Bikes: 02' Schwinn Mesa GSX, 2005 Giant OCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you mean by "unpaved"? I am waiting (from the factory) on my first road bike, it is an OCR3. I always had a mountain bike. I was wary of anything with skinny tires and I probably will be afraid to hit a pebble until I get used to it. To me unpaved means gravel, or white chat road. That would probably be a no-no on a road bike, but after seeing the TDF where they were riding on cobblestones, I would guess you could probably manage.
Redhed is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service