Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Moving to NYC. Which bike to bring, pt 2 (now with cool comparison chart!)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Moving to NYC. Which bike to bring, pt 2 (now with cool comparison chart!)

Old 05-24-09, 09:57 PM
  #26  
fishologist
 
cohophysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,199

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I will keep an eye on that Bianchi for ya....in fact, I will be glad to come get it from you
__________________
We cannot solve problems with the same level of consciousness that created them. A.E.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx


cohophysh is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 02:15 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCrassic
Am I thinking of the right area? The area I was thinking of is Broadway between 110th and 120th...a few blocks down to the right is Spanish Harlem (not as dangerous as it used to be, but common sense still required) and a few blocks to the left is Harlem (also not as dangerous and is gentrified in some areas)
Spanish Harlem is on the east side of the island (basically east of Park Avenue). The area you are describing - basically north of 110th street and east of Morningside Park is simply Harlem. The area west of Morningside Park where Columbia is located is nominally called "Morningside Heights", basically a name Columbia invented so they didn't have to tell rich daddies and mommies they were sending their kids to Harlem.

Anyways, west Harlem (east of Morninside Park from 110th and up) is very gentrified these days and quite safe. I live at 117th and Manhattan Ave at the base of the stairway through Morningside Park. I ride my bike regularly through the area to run errands and haven't had an issue. In fact, the only bike I've ever had stolen in NYC (Klein with Record ) was stolen from an apartment building on central park west in the low '80s ... possibly the most boring, wealthy and low crime neighborhood in NYC.
vadimivich is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 04:35 AM
  #28  
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,375
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by the beef
So I'm still stuck. I'm moving to New York City soon for college (Columbia U). After building a Centurion road bike w/ some spare earnings I have three bikes now, and I still can't decide which to bring.

I'm not that familiar w/ NYC, college life, or living in the big city. I've checked and yeah my dorm will be pretty small, so I'll probably end up bringing one road bike (and get a sheety beater MTB or something?).


My parents want me to bring the Centurion because they picture me getting my bike stolen in the first week, while simultaneously being mugged and then deciding I never want to bike again (which is their fantasy, since they think I'll get killed by a crazy NY driver). But the Centurion ain't much fun.. and the Bianchi and the Schwinn are my babies.. ya know?









you should let your parents in on a little secret: NYC is safer than Disneyland.

Originally Posted by MrCrassic
A couple of things:

1) If you bring your bike wherever you go (not sure if you can do this at Columbia, but it's pretty easy at Stevens), you should be fine. I haven't had to worry about either of my bikes being stolen, and both are prime suspects.

2) A single-speed for city commuting will be sort of fun, but you will suffer if you decide to do long rides with it (or race with Columbia, where fixies aren't allowed for road race season). If you have any intention at all with racing
(Columbia's team is very, very good), bring the Bianchi.

3) You won't need to worry about grocery getting, since everything you need will be close to you.

With that said, I would bring the Bianchi if you have the chance, or the Super Sport if not.
considering how bad they were in the early/mid 90s, they had only one way to go.


Originally Posted by jeanatx
i really think you should take the ss. after you made your chart, i'm surprised that's not the first thing you concluded. i mean, it's really between the centurion and the ss, but seriously, the singlespeed would be more fun IMO.
of course you do.

Last edited by MrCrassic; 05-25-09 at 09:25 AM.
botto is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 07:07 AM
  #29  
stole your bike
 
roadiejorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 6,907

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I would take the Bianchi because having a geared bike will be nice for romps outside of Manhattan. I've never locked up a bike on the street because chances are high it will either get stolen or have components stolen from it, and riding around with 10lbs of chain and lock just isn't for me considering I can walk to most places or take public transportation. If you like to ride I can almost guarantee you'll be riding 9W and the surrounding areas and the SS will lose it's charm when you're flying down hill, it did for me anyway. If you bring the Bianchi make sure to keep it secured in your room and all will be well.

Oh, and do tell your parents that muggings are so late 70's - early 90's; the only people you'll get harrassed by are the fund raiser types getting in your face. Once you're here check the Northeast board in the community forums for BF rides up to Piermont/Nyack. Also, if you ride a 55cm Bianchi I have one to sell which might sort out your issue of having to bring a bike at all so if interested let me know.
__________________
I like pie
roadiejorge is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 07:19 AM
  #30  
well hello there
 
Nachoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Point Loma, CA
Posts: 15,433

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
The Bianchi (and never take your eyes off it). And then pick up an old piece of junk for commuting that you won't care about, it it's ripped off.
__________________
.
.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Nachoman is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 07:38 AM
  #31  
Bike Junkie
 
roccobike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Posts: 9,625

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Likes: 0
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
My son is going into his fourth year at ECU. He had a bike out there his first semester and all of his Junior year. He never road the bike his freshman year and he rode it twice his junior year. Now it's back home.
His accume is around a 3.8, my point is you need to be focused on studies, not bikes. You don't need any distractions, ESPECIALLY your freshman year. If you're going to take a bike, take a beater, preferably a rigid fork MTB like a Trek 800 that you don't care about. Take something that if it gets stolen you won't think about it for more than an hour, then move back to your studies. Whatever you buy, paint it flat black or gray or both colors, make it ugly.
School is for studying. At least get through your freshman year, then you'll know the ropes and know what you can and can't do as far as bikes go. Maybe in your Sophomore year you'll know what you want to do and can make a better, informed decision.
The best advice I received as I was headed for college was to let the other guys party, have a good time and play the fool then you can talk about them after they flunk out. I listened to that advice and my older freind was 100% correct.
__________________
Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator
roccobike is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 07:48 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You wanted your son to focus on his studies and not party ... so he went to ECU? Jebus.
vadimivich is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 08:52 AM
  #33  
Car-Free Flatlander
 
Stacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Below 14th Street
Posts: 1,976

Bikes: Sirrus

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the beef
I'm not that familiar w/ NYC, college life, or living in the big city. I've checked and yeah my dorm will be pretty small, so I'll probably end up bringing one road bike (and get a sheety beater MTB or something?).
uh... you know Columbia has a cycling team.....
https://www.columbia.edu/cu/cycling/
Stacy is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 09:00 AM
  #34  
Custom User Title
 
Quijibo187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,913

Bikes: 2006 Marin Stelvio, 1990s Steve Bauer, Marin Palisades Trail

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread needs a graph to go with that chart.
Charts are meaningless without graphs.
I cannot help with your decision without the required data.



Quijibo187 is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 09:21 AM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: north bergen, nj
Posts: 410

Bikes: cannondale caad 8 custom

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its actually pretty hill near columbia. i would bring the centurion and the bianchi. they may have bike storage at the campus. thre are great road rides right across the gw bridge in nj. so if you have time to ride bring the nice road bike, and another for transportation
rtruectoc is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 09:23 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,644

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rtruectoc
its actually pretty hill near columbia. i would bring the centurion and the bianchi. they may have bike storage at the campus. thre are great road rides right across the gw bridge in nj. so if you have time to ride bring the nice road bike, and another for transportation
Not really; there is maybe one climb going towards Columbia (or towards Midtown). The hills are closer to the NY State Line.
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 09:42 AM
  #37  
fix
yeahh, becky
 
fix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DC
Posts: 1,395

Bikes: 1990 Kotter Albuch, 2005 Empella Spaar Select Cross, 2007 Ridley Aedon

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
My son is going into his fourth year at ECU. He had a bike out there his first semester and all of his Junior year. He never road the bike his freshman year and he rode it twice his junior year. Now it's back home.
His accume is around a 3.8, my point is you need to be focused on studies, not bikes. You don't need any distractions, ESPECIALLY your freshman year. If you're going to take a bike, take a beater, preferably a rigid fork MTB like a Trek 800 that you don't care about. Take something that if it gets stolen you won't think about it for more than an hour, then move back to your studies. Whatever you buy, paint it flat black or gray or both colors, make it ugly.
School is for studying. At least get through your freshman year, then you'll know the ropes and know what you can and can't do as far as bikes go. Maybe in your Sophomore year you'll know what you want to do and can make a better, informed decision.
The best advice I received as I was headed for college was to let the other guys party, have a good time and play the fool then you can talk about them after they flunk out. I listened to that advice and my older freind was 100% correct.
This is terrible advice.

I brought a bike with me my freshman year of college. I used it to get to crew practice, where I met friends that I still speak with on a regular basis today. During the following spring I joined the cycling team and developed a love for something that would help me balance studies and fun during college, and work and fun after college. Not to mention the amount of people I met, and still meet, doing it.

Bring a bike to college. Bring two if you think it's at all possible. If your choice is between riding and going to class, go to class. If your choice is between riding and going to the library, go to the library. If your choice is between riding and spending the 199th hour studying for a test, go ride. You're smart enough to balance studying and riding. Don't let anyone (roccobike) tell you to limit your options for activities your freshman year - that simply forces you to study or drink, not study or ride.

Rocco, get real. There are people who are capable of having fun AND keeping a 3.8 GPA AND having a social life. I think if the beef wants to bring a singlespeed so he can ride downtown and meet those kids from NYU for coffee at 10pm on a Friday that will better his life far more than spending that Friday night in the library.
fix is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 10:00 AM
  #38  
Batüwü Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,798
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately Rocco seems a bit far removed.

As a rising senior in college, I have to say that you should take the SS and the Bianchi and sign up to ride with the team asap. That way you'll have a good idea insofar as what you need for time commitments to train and race, and you'll have an automatic group of friends who you can chill with.

The thing you need to be worried about is to not spread yourself out to thin academically or socially. You might be tempted to take more classes or join more clubs, but limit yourself to 7 things total (clubs+classes+job/whatever) for your first semester, and then play it by year.

My worst semesters at school have been the ones where I've taken too many classes because I felt I had to prove myself, and then I got caught up in grades (instead of learning) and didn't do as well.

Make your mistakes freshman year, it's much better to make them and learn early on instead of later.

@Fix: It's not about choosing between going out on a friday or going to the library on a friday as it is knowing which one to do when. My worst semester was the first semester of junior year, when I was taking too many classes and just couldn't go out because I had that much work to do. All I did was ride and study. I burnt out really fast.

It's easy to get carried away but you have to realize that you need balance and work, play, and other things constitute what's necessary.

Beef, see what you can do as far as storing your bike in your room. I used to keep mine in the room, and moved it around depending on what I was doing. I.e. Study: Lean on bed, sleep: lean on desk, etc. Take the wheels off and put it under the bed if you can, or see if you can get one of those wall leaning gravity racks and put both your bikes on it. That's what I'm doing now.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 10:56 AM
  #39  
frequent rider
 
jeanHTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 686

Bikes: 2014 Trek 1.2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, Rocco! that's so terrible, staying physically active is an important part of keeping things balanced in college.

fix and ride the cliche know where it's at. since columbia has a cycling team, i'm now leaning towards the bianchi, but that would be better off in storage most of the time, where you can always see it. if you're down to take two bikes, i think that'd be the best deal: nice, fast road bike you can race/ride with, ss for commuting all over.
jeanHTX is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 11:06 AM
  #40  
Custom User Title
 
Quijibo187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,913

Bikes: 2006 Marin Stelvio, 1990s Steve Bauer, Marin Palisades Trail

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's your graph Beef.
Red= Bianchi (winner)


Quijibo187 is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 11:21 AM
  #41  
stole your bike
 
roadiejorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 6,907

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Yeah, unfortunately Rocco seems a bit far removed.

As a rising senior in college, I have to say that you should take the SS and the Bianchi and sign up to ride with the team asap. That way you'll have a good idea insofar as what you need for time commitments to train and race, and you'll have an automatic group of friends who you can chill with.

The thing you need to be worried about is to not spread yourself out to thin academically or socially. You might be tempted to take more classes or join more clubs, but limit yourself to 7 things total (clubs+classes+job/whatever) for your first semester, and then play it by year.

My worst semesters at school have been the ones where I've taken too many classes because I felt I had to prove myself, and then I got caught up in grades (instead of learning) and didn't do as well.

Make your mistakes freshman year, it's much better to make them and learn early on instead of later.

@Fix: It's not about choosing between going out on a friday or going to the library on a friday as it is knowing which one to do when. My worst semester was the first semester of junior year, when I was taking too many classes and just couldn't go out because I had that much work to do. All I did was ride and study. I burnt out really fast.

It's easy to get carried away but you have to realize that you need balance and work, play, and other things constitute what's necessary.

Beef, see what you can do as far as storing your bike in your room. I used to keep mine in the room, and moved it around depending on what I was doing. I.e. Study: Lean on bed, sleep: lean on desk, etc. Take the wheels off and put it under the bed if you can, or see if you can get one of those wall leaning gravity racks and put both your bikes on it. That's what I'm doing now.
That's the key right there. I didn't go away to school but rode every day and maintained a good GPA balancing free time and study time.Extremes of anything aren't healthy studying included.
__________________
I like pie
roadiejorge is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 08:10 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: north bergen, nj
Posts: 410

Bikes: cannondale caad 8 custom

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCrassic
Not really; there is maybe one climb going towards Columbia (or towards Midtown). The hills are closer to the NY State Line.
yea but for his second/commuting bike... i would not pick the single speed. that was the point. I lived near columbia for 5 years and now live in nj and ride "the hills" north of the gw weekly.
rtruectoc is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 08:46 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,644

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quijibo187
Here's your graph Beef.
Red= Bianchi (winner)


You win teh internetz
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline  
Old 05-25-09, 08:47 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
MrCrassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,644

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rtruectoc
yea but for his second/commuting bike... i would not pick the single speed. that was the point. I lived near columbia for 5 years and now live in nj and ride "the hills" north of the gw weekly.
Actually, I had to ride past there to get to Ossining.

You are absolutely right. It's rollers past 116th Street all the way to Ossining.

I wouldn't do the single speed if serious rides are in your plans at all. Plus, you can find them on Craig's List for cheap (if you look well) if you want one later on, or get more dorm space (which you probably will).
__________________
Ride more.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
MrCrassic is offline  
Old 05-26-09, 01:07 AM
  #45  
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!
 
FIVE ONE SIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,078
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i say bring the Bianchi and the Schwinn, but you'll probably end up riding the Schwinn more, since it's higher in the "Power to get girls" category... LOL
FIVE ONE SIX is offline  
Old 05-26-09, 04:34 AM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 215
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoever said it's the safest area of the city -- you're nuts. I lived a mile from there until I went to college.

Here's what would bring me the most peace of mind (it's what I am currently doing). Bring your good bike, buy a beater. Buy a lock for the beater. Don't buy or bring a lock for your good bike. If you need to leave your good bike somewhere where you need to lock it, it will probably get stolen. Don't leave it outside unless you know it won't get stolen (you're standing next to it, or someone else on the team is watching it). If you don't have a lock for it, you won't even be tempted to do this.
davids0507 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.