Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your bike with a percentage of grade sign

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your bike with a percentage of grade sign

Old 05-30-09, 06:15 PM
  #1  
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs
Thread Starter
 
Vireo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 2,359

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your bike with a percentage of grade sign

On my ride today I had this idea for a thread. Before digital cameras became as inexpensive and widespread as they are now, I had a collection of pictures with my bike in front of grade signs on print. Many of them I don't know where they ended up and even if I had them I wouldn't waste the time to scan them. I guess I will just have to climb them again and take a picture. I used to "amaze and amuse" my friends and coworkers with said pictures. Most of them thought I was nuts.

OK so let's see 'em. Have integrity the picture should only be taken and posted if YOU have actually climbed that hill.




Last edited by Vireo; 05-30-09 at 06:29 PM.
Vireo is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 06:25 PM
  #2  
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 17,413

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 06:28 PM
  #3  
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs
Thread Starter
 
Vireo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 2,359

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^What's all that mean in "old money" as Phil Leggit says.
Vireo is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 06:28 PM
  #4  
Hammertoe
A Little Bent
 
Hammertoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not quite what you are looking for but you can guess the grade...

__________________
Hammertoe is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 06:34 PM
  #5  
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs
Thread Starter
 
Vireo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 2,359

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammertoe View Post
Not quite what you are looking for but you can guess the grade...

Thank you for admitting you are a rogue poster

But kudos to you!! I hear the weather is very unpredictable up there. How was it on your attempt? You're wearing short sleeves and ...tights?

Edit: successful attempt
Vireo is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 06:40 PM
  #6  
Hammertoe
A Little Bent
 
Hammertoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not want to hijack but it hailed soon after I finished...

I finished top 10 in my age group but should have been higher (this year I am primed!!)...

I developed shingles 11 days prior to the race...

I climbed in bibs and my Fredly SpongeBob jersey but you need to get dressed warm soon after you finish or you will freeze...

__________________
Hammertoe is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 06:40 PM
  #7  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,447

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 49 Posts
How about a photo of a friend of mine standing next to a percentage sign ... but I climbed the hill with him?

And does walking up the hill with the bicycles count?
Machka is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:07 PM
  #8  
ericm979
Senior Member
 
ericm979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains
Posts: 6,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post

And does walking up the hill with the bicycles count?
No, that's walking, not cycling.
ericm979 is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:10 PM
  #9  
Nachoman
well hello there
 
Nachoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Point Loma, CA
Posts: 14,951

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
No, that's walking, not cycling.
walkforums.net
__________________
.
.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Nachoman is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:12 PM
  #10  
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs
Thread Starter
 
Vireo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 2,359

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
How about a photo of a friend of mine standing next to a percentage sign ... but I climbed the hill with him?

And does walking up the hill with the bicycles count?
Machka the thread serves a few purposes -- you get to show off your bike, show off your climbing prowess and show off some ridiculous steep roads. Maybe your friend should join BF and post his picture
Vireo is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:14 PM
  #11  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,447

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
No, that's walking, not cycling.
Vireo said, "if YOU have actually climbed that hill" ... he didn't indicate a method. So I'll wait for his verdict.

The hill I'm asking about is a 25% grade in Wales ... not too easy to climb on the bicycle when the bicycle is loaded with panniers.
Machka is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:16 PM
  #12  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,447

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo View Post
Machka the thread serves a few purposes -- you get to show off your bike, show off your climbing prowess and show off some ridiculous steep roads. Maybe your friend should join BF and post his picture
Well ... it's in this set of photos ... on my Wales tour. There were actually two 25% grades on the route. In Wales you're either doing 4 km/h or 40 km/h. Nothing in between.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1430288...7602327322420/

He asked if I wanted to pose by the sign, but for some reason at the time I didn't figure it was important. Who knew there would be a thread!
Machka is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:35 PM
  #13  
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク
 
NomadVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 3,173

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry no bike, but since the climb is on the other side of the world now I can't go back to it.

This road is in Japan a week after a typhoon did some serious damage to the route.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VFMI0005.JPG (61.5 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg
VFMI0006.JPG (23.6 KB, 401 views)
__________________
Envision, Energize, Enable
NomadVW is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:36 PM
  #14  
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs
Thread Starter
 
Vireo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 2,359

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Vireo said, "if YOU have actually climbed that hill" ... he didn't indicate a method. So I'll wait for his verdict.

The hill I'm asking about is a 25% grade in Wales ... not too easy to climb on the bicycle when the bicycle is loaded with panniers.

Clarification on the original post-- "climbed", for the purpose of this thread, means that NO FORWARD MOTION was achieved by any other means than by pedaling your bike. Dismounting and resting, falling over, or tacking are all acceptable but you must have ONLY achieved forward progress by pedaling. Getting a push from a friend or a Madison Sling is also not allowed.

Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Well ... it's in this set of photos ... on my Wales tour. There were actually two 25% grades on the route. In Wales you're either doing 4 km/h or 40 km/h. Nothing in between.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1430288...7602327322420/

He asked if I wanted to pose by the sign, but for some reason at the time I didn't figure it was important. Who knew there would be a thread!

Thank you for the flickr. Great scenery. I see your friend pushing his bike up another hill was it steeper than the one he "climbed" that was 25%?
Vireo is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:38 PM
  #15  
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs
Thread Starter
 
Vireo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 2,359

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadVW View Post
Sorry no bike, but since the climb is on the other side of the world now I can't go back to it.

This road is in Japan a week after a typhoon did some serious damage to the route.
Holy Moly!

Question is--did YOU climb it? How long was the hill?
Vireo is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:42 PM
  #16  
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs
Thread Starter
 
Vireo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 2,359

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
walkforums.net
drunkardswalkforums
Vireo is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:50 PM
  #17  
johnny99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 10,867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
State Highway 108 in eastern California.

johnny99 is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 07:59 PM
  #18  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,447

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo View Post
Thank you for the flickr. Great scenery. I see your friend pushing his bike up another hill was it steeper than the one he "climbed" that was 25%?
He pushed up the 25% grade hill where he posed at the top with the sign ... but he rode up the second 25% grade hill after weighing me down with a large bottle of wine in my panniers which forced me to walk.
Machka is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 08:02 PM
  #19  
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク
 
NomadVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 3,173

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo View Post
Holy Moly!

Question is--did YOU climb it? How long was the hill?
I climbed it a number of times - though it was closed for a few months after I took those shots. The other side is way steeper in some sections. On the other hand, you don't have to get that far away from where I lived to get to those roads. We had 22% grades about 15 minutes away, and plenty more in the 12+% all over the place.
__________________
Envision, Energize, Enable
NomadVW is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 08:18 PM
  #20  
johnny99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 10,867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tuscany, Italy
johnny99 is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 08:31 PM
  #21  
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.
 
KiddSisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Topanga Canyon
Posts: 8,352

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammertoe View Post
Do not want to hijack but it hailed soon after I finished...

I finished top 10 in my age group but should have been higher (this year I am primed!!)...

I developed shingles 11 days prior to the race...

I climbed in bibs and my Fredly SpongeBob jersey but you need to get dressed warm soon after you finish or you will freeze...
Don't leave us in suspense with incomplete stories! Did you have to descend in the hail? Did you in fact freeze on the way down in only your SpongeBob jersey?
KiddSisko is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 08:59 PM
  #22  
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At a So Cal forum ride in June 2007.
GP is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 09:27 PM
  #23  
fixedgearinker
Senior Member
 
fixedgearinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Petrolia, PA
Posts: 383

Bikes: '01 Cannondale CAAD5 3000si, Framed Minnesota2 Fattie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, stupid question time... I understand the specific grade% refers to the steepness of the incline, and the greater the % the steeper the hill. However, what is the specific % in relation to? a 12% grade is 12% over what? hope I am making sense.
fixedgearinker is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 09:38 PM
  #24  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,447

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedgearinker View Post
Ok, stupid question time... I understand the specific grade% refers to the steepness of the incline, and the greater the % the steeper the hill. However, what is the specific % in relation to? a 12% grade is 12% over what? hope I am making sense.
In England they call grades 1:3 or 1:4. Rise over run. So it goes up 1 ft (or whatever unit of measure you choose to use) for every 3 ft in distance, or 1 ft for every 4 ft of distance. 1:3 is 1/3 or 33.3%. 1:4 is 1/4 or 25%.

So a 12% grade is approximately a 1:8 ... for every 8 ft of distance, the hill rises 1 ft.
Machka is offline  
Old 05-30-09, 09:41 PM
  #25  
fixedgearinker
Senior Member
 
fixedgearinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Petrolia, PA
Posts: 383

Bikes: '01 Cannondale CAAD5 3000si, Framed Minnesota2 Fattie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
In England they call grades 1:3 or 1:4. Rise over run. So it goes up 1 ft (or whatever unit of measure you choose to use) for every 3 ft in distance, or 1 ft for every 4 ft of distance. 1:3 is 1/3 or 33.3%. 1:4 is 1/4 or 25%.

So a 12% grade is approximately a 1:8 ... for every 8 ft of distance, the hill rises 1 ft.
I thought it might be something like that, similar to the pitch on a roof... Thanks Machka!
fixedgearinker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.