Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Tale of Passing Two Cyclists...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A Tale of Passing Two Cyclists...

Old 07-18-09, 10:56 AM
  #1  
acaurora
B+ roadie I guess?
Thread Starter
 
acaurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,287

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo GF01 Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Tale of Passing Two Cyclists...

So I don't know if I did something wrong, but here goes:

Was on my way back on my morning ride and there were these two cyclists(or should I say commuters). They were on what appeared to be hybrid bikes in that they had thin tires, but straight handlebars, and were not dressed as "cyclists" with the whole jersey and cycling shorts getup (I myself only wear cycling shorts and a sleeveless t... jersey is still on its way )...

Now on this route that I go, the way home is always faster as the entire route home is slightly downhill, so I'm going around 20+. I was slowly catching up to them, and then finally was getting behind them. I decided to pass them by pushing it and going faster and passing them within that whole 3-second rule (right?) on their left.

Now this is the weird part. They were in single file, one behind the other. I passed both of them fairly quickly, and then suddenly as I passed the guy in front he turns to me and yells (in an Asian accent, and the way I understood it as) : "GIVE RIGHT WAY-LA". I honestly had no idea what he was saying, so I kept on going. 20 seconds later, the guy that had yelled at me catches up to me(still going at 20+mph) and zooms right past me and doesn't look back. He stops at the intersection ahead and continues to not look at me. The light turns green in the direction I'm going (straight), so I just keep going and don't bother to stop.

In retrospect, I assume I probably should've said something to let them know I am approaching / passing them. I myself have been startled by cyclists while riding. But again, did I do anything wrong?

Last edited by acaurora; 07-18-09 at 11:14 AM.
acaurora is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 11:08 AM
  #2  
Jynx
.....
 
Jynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,816

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No you were fine. I would have done the same thing.
__________________
Weight Listing Index (Feel Free to add to it!)

Buy your bike parts here
Jynx is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 11:32 AM
  #3  
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,197

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
riding hybrids without kits doesn't make you a cyclist?
hairnet is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 11:33 AM
  #4  
billyymc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
What's a three second rule?

When I overtake someone, I try to call out "on your left" or ding my bell so they aren't startled.
 
Old 07-18-09, 11:36 AM
  #5  
acaurora
B+ roadie I guess?
Thread Starter
 
acaurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,287

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo GF01 Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've read here I always thought you need to pass a person within 3 seconds?
acaurora is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 11:50 AM
  #6  
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes
 
Tigerprawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No idea what he wanted... but I would assume he wanted a "on your left!" or something of that nature. If they're single line they may be running pace line drills? No idea, but I always call it if I'm passing someone up.
Tigerprawn is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 11:54 AM
  #7  
Diegomayra
Too Fat for This Sport
 
Diegomayra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 698

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No rules. Its like Mad max out there. I never yell unless its necessary. I think once I yelled on your left. Basically if I "feel" it needs to be said for saftey reasons, I will. If not Ill pass and wave. On my way.
Diegomayra is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 12:03 PM
  #8  
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I seldom see anyone on a bike around here.

If I pass someone at close to my speed then I say hi.

If they are way way slower then I just blow by them (giving a wide berth).
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 12:15 PM
  #9  
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,685
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigerprawn View Post
No idea what he wanted... but I would assume he wanted a "on your left!" or something of that nature. If they're single line they may be running pace line drills? No idea, but I always call it if I'm passing someone up.
Maybe. But F that. I had someone say something to me about that the other day. I was climbing up a hill in a local park (Percy Warner), and saw someone ahead of me climbing very slowly ahead. She was weaving a bit, but was on the right, so I figured I would just pass her on the left. As I got closer she seemed to be moving more and more to the left, which was making me nervous, since I wanted to give plenty of room. Well, she practically cut across from the middle of the road right into my intended line at a slight right turn, cut me off and forced me to practically come to a stop. I was annoyed and regained my momentum by accelerating past her on the right. And as I did it, she called out "Give heads up," or something. WTF? NO, more like you hold your friggin line and, if possible, stay to the right if you're moving slowly. The fact that I passed as close as I did to this woman was her own fault.

My point is that there should be no reason to warn people if everyone rides appropriately and you pass with plenty of room (or, if there's not plenty of room, at a slow overtake speed). "On your left," only seems to confuse people, so I go without it. If anyone has a problem with that, tough.
grolby is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 12:19 PM
  #10  
the_drain
Senior Member
 
the_drain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's got Tour Fever and thought you were George Hincapie...don't worry about it.

In the future however, remember to never let a hybrid commuter catch up and pass you...we may need to ban you.
the_drain is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 12:30 PM
  #11  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have tour fever too. Today, I passed a tandem and I couldn't help shouting "allez allez!" at the pair.

I don't know why because I'm finding the tour really boring.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 12:37 PM
  #12  
Beaker
moth -----> flame
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,916

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy View Post
I seldom see anyone on a bike around here.

If I pass someone at close to my speed then I say hi.

If they are way way slower then I just blow by them (giving a wide berth).
Hi or How's it going? are the norm for me. The guy you passed does sound like a tool - you played it well by not taking the bait.
__________________
BF, in a nutshell
Beaker is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 01:26 PM
  #13  
mtnroadie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The riders that I pass tend to freak out. I recently had one go off the road and nearly crash. I politely let her know that I was coming, but she was still startled. I find that most of the riders that I do pass are new riders who have trouble handling their bikes. I guess there's nothing I can do to prevent a skiddish rider from being startled,but I let them know that I'm coming for my own safety if nothing else.
mtnroadie is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 01:40 PM
  #14  
ggatsby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acaurora View Post
So I don't know if I did something wrong, but here goes:

Was on my way back on my morning ride and there were these two cyclists(or should I say commuters). They were on what appeared to be hybrid bikes in that they had thin tires, but straight handlebars, and were not dressed as "cyclists" with the whole jersey and cycling shorts getup (I myself only wear cycling shorts and a sleeveless t... jersey is still on its way )...

Now on this route that I go, the way home is always faster as the entire route home is slightly downhill, so I'm going around 20+. I was slowly catching up to them, and then finally was getting behind them. I decided to pass them by pushing it and going faster and passing them within that whole 3-second rule (right?) on their left.

Now this is the weird part. They were in single file, one behind the other. I passed both of them fairly quickly, and then suddenly as I passed the guy in front he turns to me and yells (in an Asian accent, and the way I understood it as) : "GIVE RIGHT WAY-LA". I honestly had no idea what he was saying, so I kept on going. 20 seconds later, the guy that had yelled at me catches up to me(still going at 20+mph) and zooms right past me and doesn't look back. He stops at the intersection ahead and continues to not look at me. The light turns green in the direction I'm going (straight), so I just keep going and don't bother to stop.

In retrospect, I assume I probably should've said something to let them know I am approaching / passing them. I myself have been startled by cyclists while riding. But again, did I do anything wrong?
singaporean.
ggatsby is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 01:55 PM
  #15  
reef58
Senior Member
 
reef58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 1,690

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem is you didn't dial up the wattage enough. Did you give the look? Maybe it was R600?

Richard
reef58 is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 01:59 PM
  #16  
Kai Winters
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern NY...Brownville
Posts: 1,903

Bikes: Merlin Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always whistle a bit from just enough distance to get attention but not startle. I always slow for a moment to say hello and have a nice ride. Courtesy always pays off with at least good karma.
Kai Winters is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 02:27 PM
  #17  
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Posts: 6,955

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Wow, is it that hard to say, "on your left" when passing another cyclist? Especially two cyclists who might have been focusing on drafting/pacing each other.

Like one of the posters above, I've found that "on your left" confuses people but for whatever reason if you say, "Passing - on your left" people get it.
BengeBoy is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 02:34 PM
  #18  
xg43x
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"On your left" would have been more appropriate than simply passing them with some unwritten rule I have never heard of.
xg43x is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 02:49 PM
  #19  
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes
 
Tigerprawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it were just one guy I would still call "on your left" - However, "Passing on your left" seems more appropriate and concise.

The fact it was multiple guys possibly in a pace line would be even more reason to call before passing. Mainly safety and what not and to me it's common courtesy.
Tigerprawn is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 03:01 PM
  #20  
Kurt Erlenbach
Senior Member
 
Kurt Erlenbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 2,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You give notice that you are passing and then say, "Good morning," or "How are you?" or something like that. It's just being polite.
Kurt Erlenbach is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 03:02 PM
  #21  
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had people veer left when I say "on your left".
GP is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 03:30 PM
  #22  
Pugsly
Ride to Ride
 
Pugsly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 641

Bikes: Fuji C7 full DA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I've had people veer left when I say "on your left".
+1. Sometimes I call out, sometimes I just ride on by - depends on how I think the cyclist will react based on what they are riding / wearing.
Pugsly is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 03:40 PM
  #23  
bob the nailer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: edmond, ok
Posts: 348

Bikes: trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flame away all you who believe wearing anything other than 100% cotton is a sin, but how likely is it really that two people riding hybrid bikes and wearing "regular" clothes were doing paceline drills? You did nothing wrong.
bob the nailer is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 03:49 PM
  #24  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acaurora View Post
But again, did I do anything wrong?
Nope
umd is offline  
Old 07-18-09, 03:52 PM
  #25  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
Wow, is it that hard to say, "on your left" when passing another cyclist?
Fwiw, I posted this in another thread (about drafting):

This kind of thing comes up a lot too about saying "on your left" because people generally can't imagine riding in an environment other than your own. It's common for people to say that of course everyone understands "on your left"... But where I ride there are a lot of migrant farm workers who ride around on old beat up bikes because they can't afford cars. They are slow and they are generally all over the road, usually don't understand English, and if you say something they are just as likely to be startled and swerve into you as anything else.
umd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.