Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How bad is this wheelset? - Shimano WH-RS-10

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

How bad is this wheelset? - Shimano WH-RS-10

Old 09-06-09, 12:26 AM
  #1  
deepakvrao
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
deepakvrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore India
Posts: 2,387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
How bad is this wheelset? - Shimano WH-RS-10

I got this stock on my CAAD 08 model and was wondering how much of a difference I might feel if I replaced these with say a 300-500 dollar wheelset. Was looking at Soul s3 as I can get them shipped easily to where I live.

I'm pretty new to cycling, so could anyone point out what exactly I might notice with a better wheelset?

Any other suggestions around that price range? We dont have great roads here. Plenty of speed breakers as well as pot holes, and I'm about 175 pounds [reducing] FWIW.

Have read more than a dozen threads here which suggest that aero is better than lightweight, unless you are climbing a lot. A friend on another forum said that I would struggle with crosswinds a lot. So - should I go aero, or light weight? Both is beyond budget.
deepakvrao is offline  
Old 09-06-09, 02:49 PM
  #2  
mtnroadie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might get smoother bearings with less rolling resistance. The lighter weight probably won't be noticeable. Aerodynamics might help a little. Losing body weight will be much more noticeable. If you want to get faster, more riding and getting into better shape is your best bet.
mtnroadie is offline  
Old 09-06-09, 02:54 PM
  #3  
SoreFeet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Just wait till the rims have problems or failures at critical points. Wear em out, then upgrade. Those Cannondale frames are mighty stiff and efficient compared to my old steel jalopy.
SoreFeet is offline  
Old 09-06-09, 03:09 PM
  #4  
yrrej
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 1000 miles on my RS-10s and have not had any problems.

I weigh about 205~208 pounds.

Jerry
yrrej is offline  
Old 09-06-09, 04:17 PM
  #5  
robotkiller
Senior Member
 
robotkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 442

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
I got this stock on my CAAD 08 model and was wondering how much of a difference I might feel if I replaced these with say a 300-500 dollar wheelset. Was looking at Soul s3 as I can get them shipped easily to where I live.

I'm pretty new to cycling, so could anyone point out what exactly I might notice with a better wheelset?

Any other suggestions around that price range? We dont have great roads here. Plenty of speed breakers as well as pot holes, and I'm about 175 pounds [reducing] FWIW.

Have read more than a dozen threads here which suggest that aero is better than lightweight, unless you are climbing a lot. A friend on another forum said that I would struggle with crosswinds a lot. So - should I go aero, or light weight? Both is beyond budget.
I have the caad9 and I switched out the RS10 for a DT Swiss Mon Chasseral.

The RS10 is about one pound heavier than the DT's and I, personally, notice a difference when climbing. Although the absolute difference in speeds between the two are probably marginal (seems to be 1-2 miles faster up the same hill), subjectively, the bike feels alot quicker and lighter going uphill.

The DT's are a good bit more compliant than the Shimanos and the ride is smoother. The difference here was pretty noticeable and a big help on rough roads. The Shimano hubs were not very smooth or fast in comparison, either.

I've never owned a true, deep aero wheelset, so can't comment on the advantages there.

Frankly, the Shimano wheels are a pretty decent set, for the money. That being said, IMO, though lighter weight wheels are sometimes overhyped, when you drop up to a pound of wheelweight, you will notice a difference.

I'm a sucker for wheels and have always thought they are biggest performance difference you can make, as far as components are concerned. You can build a wheelset very close to the Mon Chasserals for a lot cheaper than retail for that set. I picked them up b/c I got a decent price and they look too cool.
robotkiller is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 04:45 AM
  #6  
deepakvrao
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
deepakvrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore India
Posts: 2,387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks guys. I have about 3k km on them, and I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to get 'cool looking' wheels. I have lost about 20 pounds but my aim is another 20.
deepakvrao is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 04:55 AM
  #7  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
How is the road cycling in Bangalore?
patentcad is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 05:07 AM
  #8  
robotkiller
Senior Member
 
robotkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 442

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are riding in Bangalore, I would forgo the aero option. I can't imagine you getting any decent velocities there.

Actually, a cross bike would be perfect for India.
robotkiller is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 05:35 AM
  #9  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by robotkiller
If you are riding in Bangalore, I would forgo the aero option. I can't imagine you getting any decent velocities there.

Actually, a cross bike would be perfect for India.
I hear riding in India is a sari state of affairs.
patentcad is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 05:50 AM
  #10  
Jay-W
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I hear riding in India is a sari state of affairs.
Terrible. Just terrible.
Jay-W is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 05:55 AM
  #11  
robotkiller
Senior Member
 
robotkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 442

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
robotkiller is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 05:56 AM
  #12  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,338

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Deepak, email psimet. I betcha he can do a better wheelset for the price. And apparently, Sean is getting some new hubs and will have an improved version of the S3 and S4 by the end of this month as well.

I am getting a pair of wheels from Psimet - if you are ordering from him, we can combine the shipment and save about $150 or so in shipping. Email me if you decide to go this route.

As for road riding in India - the hardest part is the f**king animals. Last week, I ran over a lamb and today, on my second proper ride on the BMC, went over a bloody kitten with both wheels (guess it isnt bad luck if the damn thing never actually crossed the road in front of me... for me, anyway).

And yesterday was a new one for me - a tied cow grazing on the other side of the road, with the rope stretched across the road at a height of 2 feet of the ground, just as i come hammering round a corner. Rival brakes work well, I am happy to say.

I am not even going to mention the assorted clueless dogs that meander right where I am riding. But other than, all is good. A lot fewer instances of active malevolence directed towards cyclists, although being buzzed/passed with very little gap is pretty much normal (I have managed to train most of the drivers of the handful of vehicles on my island to give me some room, thanks to loud yelling - city boys like Deepak have a harder time of it).

V. "Creeping Death"

Last edited by guadzilla; 09-08-09 at 06:01 AM.
guadzilla is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 06:13 AM
  #13  
Flash
Are you with me
 
Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,311

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vkalia
Last week, I ran over a lamb
I think this is a BF first...
Flash is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 09:11 AM
  #14  
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Posts: 12,258

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vkalia
Deepak, email psimet. I betcha he can do a better wheelset for the price. And apparently, Sean is getting some new hubs and will have an improved version of the S3 and S4 by the end of this month as well.

I am getting a pair of wheels from Psimet - if you are ordering from him, we can combine the shipment and save about $150 or so in shipping. Email me if you decide to go this route.

As for road riding in India - the hardest part is the f**king animals. Last week, I ran over a lamb and today, on my second proper ride on the BMC, went over a bloody kitten with both wheels (guess it isnt bad luck if the damn thing never actually crossed the road in front of me... for me, anyway).

And yesterday was a new one for me - a tied cow grazing on the other side of the road, with the rope stretched across the road at a height of 2 feet of the ground, just as i come hammering round a corner. Rival brakes work well, I am happy to say.

I am not even going to mention the assorted clueless dogs that meander right where I am riding. But other than, all is good. A lot fewer instances of active malevolence directed towards cyclists, although being buzzed/passed with very little gap is pretty much normal (I have managed to train most of the drivers of the handful of vehicles on my island to give me some room, thanks to loud yelling - city boys like Deepak have a harder time of it).

V. "Creeping Death"
going by the volume x weight pricing on shipping, you're unlikely to save anything by having 2 wheelsets shipped together. it might end up oversized if there even is a box that fits 4 wheels.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
https://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 09:22 AM
  #15  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,338

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Well, I am getting a bike and wheels, which gets charged by weight (50lb) as it is oversized already. Adding another wheelset wont do much to the price (I've added a whole lot of stuff to previous frame and bike purchases before).

V.
guadzilla is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 11:28 AM
  #16  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
This is amazing. Now we have members in India. That's pretty cool.
patentcad is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 08:57 PM
  #17  
deepakvrao
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
deepakvrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore India
Posts: 2,387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Pcad,

Yup - riding in India is indeed a sari state of affairs. ;-)

We have maybe about 50 'BF type - as in road bikes, spandex etc' road bikers in Bangalore. Of course the city is full of cyclists. India is truely a bicycle based commuting country. In spite of that we have terrible drivers, terrible roads and cycling can be quite nightmarish if you are not used to it [as can driving here be].

MTBs are used on road here for two reasons. First, the perception that our roads are not fit for 23/25mm tyres [not true], and second, they are cheaper. We just have to find the good [relatively] roads for our rides.

Pollution is amazing and I often wonder what the state of my lungs will be - worse than a smokers I'm sure, as are the animals like vkalia pointed out. Then we have vehicles driving in the wrong direction of one ways and on the wrong side of the road etc. Quite a challenge actually, even when in a car. I will be doing 100kmph on a 4 lane freeway, and I'll suddenly see a tractor/scooter/truck coming smack at me on my side of the road in the opposite direction. I think thats 'only in India'. Its something that anyone living in the west cannot even comprehend. Its like, suppose you miss your exit, and decide to just turn back on the wrong side of your road to get back to the missed exit. Cousin of mine had a head on like that a while ago.

My wife and I spent 3 weeks in New England a couple of months ago, and the beauty of cycling on good roads, with no pollution, great scenery etc got us completely hooked. My wife had not ever been on a cycle and started on a MTB in Feb - now she is hooked too, and started road biking in fact in Acadia [on the loop road]. What a place to start your cycling career.

I am a newbie to cycling itself, starting in Jan this year [although unlike my wife, I had cycled as a kid], but before that we were not getting any equipment here. Now, at least a few have set up shop. Namely - Trek, Merida, Cannondale, Bianchi, Kona etc but bikes are very limited esp road bikes as are spares and accessories. Hence you see us often ordering from the US/UK like vkalia is doing. Land up with expensive shipping and 30% customs

V,

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll pass. Like I said I have an target before I 'gift myself' new wheels. I'll mail Psimet however anyway. I am planning a cycling vacation to either California or UK/France in May and might just pick up wheels at that time.

Just got my transport box ready yesterday. Got one done as a sample and it seems great. Weighs in at 8kg so even with my bike and some stuff [clothing and tools] I'll be within Europe limits [20kg] at least. Made with MDF and pinewood re-enforcements, HDPE foam inside [yet to be attached]. Total cost - less than 1k :-) Dont mind even if it lasts just one or two trips even. It should not fall apart on the first flight at least.

My problem will be - how to ensure that my rental car in my destination can accommodate two bike cases the size of Nashbars Team Bike Case? I need a hatch/SUV. Will rental companies like Budget, agree to the exact type of vehicle? Last trip, we bought the bikes in NYC, put them on a rack and drove around but this time we will be landing with our bikes, so we would need to get them from airport to the first hotel to assemble them. Any suggestions from the US guys here?

BTW-Patentcad, BF has had members from India long before vkalia and I joined . Plenty who live abroad, but some living in India too.
deepakvrao is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 09:05 PM
  #18  
robotkiller
Senior Member
 
robotkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 442

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Pcad,

I will be doing 100kmph on a 4 lane freeway, and I'll suddenly see a tractor/scooter/truck coming smack at me on my side of the road in the opposite direction. I think thats 'only in India'. Its something that anyone living in the west cannot even comprehend. Its like, suppose you miss your exit, and decide to just turn back on the wrong side of your road to get back to the missed exit. Cousin of mine had a head on like that a while ago.
.
What's always fascinated me is that despite the honking horns, insane driving, wandering people and animals that impede normal driving, you scarcely see road rage in India. Conversely, if someone even perceives that you are delaying them by a millisecond in America, you are liable to get waxed. I think if some people in the US witnessed the difference, they'd understand how pointless and stupid road rage really is.
robotkiller is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 09:16 PM
  #19  
deepakvrao
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
deepakvrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore India
Posts: 2,387
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by robotkiller
What's always fascinated me is that despite the honking horns, insane driving, wandering people and animals that impede normal driving, you scarcely see road rage in India. Conversely, if someone even perceives that you are delaying them by a millisecond in America, you are liable to get waxed. I think if some people in the US witnessed the difference, they'd understand how pointless and stupid road rage really is.
Yes, I know what you mean. Considering the scope for it, road rage is relatively less. I guess we just learn to live with it.

Have you lived here? or do you visit often?
deepakvrao is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 09:30 PM
  #20  
robotkiller
Senior Member
 
robotkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 442

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Yes, I know what you mean. Considering the scope for it, road rage is relatively less. I guess we just learn to live with it.

Have you lived here? or do you visit often?
I have family in Kerala and have visited many times.
robotkiller is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 10:02 PM
  #21  
tubescreamerx
climbing
 
tubescreamerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 925

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Ridley Crosswind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
This is amazing. Now we have members in India. That's pretty cool.
old man. get with the program
tubescreamerx is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 10:48 PM
  #22  
ridethecliche
Batw Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The illadelph
Posts: 20,765
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 152 Posts
I was pretty indian last time I checked.

Then again, New Delhi is a whole nuther level of driving craziness!
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-09-09, 01:50 AM
  #23  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,338

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by robotkiller
What's always fascinated me is that despite the honking horns, insane driving, wandering people and animals that impede normal driving, you scarcely see road rage in India. Conversely, if someone even perceives that you are delaying them by a millisecond in America, you are liable to get waxed. I think if some people in the US witnessed the difference, they'd understand how pointless and stupid road rage really is.
I think at some point, you just run out of rage. I used to start raging the moment I got into my car while starting my commute in DC (and I had a reverse commute - out of the city to Bethesda). If I were to rage while driving in India, my head would explode.

Deepak - am going to email you about that box. It sounds interesting and would be a good way to schlep Candy about (already, my cardboard box is frayed from the trip to the Himalayas and no local bike box fits an XL 29er). I've been toying with the idea of a regular fabric bike bag, but inflatable. Need to see if I can find someone who can make it.

V.
guadzilla is offline  
Old 09-09-09, 01:52 AM
  #24  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,338

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
This is amazing. Now we have members in India. That's pretty cool.
Wait - where are you all from then?

Self-loathing lives the world over, dont worry. And slow Freds (moi).

V.
guadzilla is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.