Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question for those using Rock N Roll Gold chain cleaner/lube

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question for those using Rock N Roll Gold chain cleaner/lube

Old 12-26-09, 03:37 PM
  #1  
No longer just a beginner
Thread Starter
 
diverguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Auburndale, FL
Posts: 444

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for those using Rock N Roll Gold chain cleaner/lube

Got about 120 miles on this bike/chain and ready to clean it with Rock N Roll Gold for the first time. I don't have a bike stand or anything. What is the recommended technique? Turn it upside down, lube the chain, and hand crank the pedals to run the lubed chain through the gears? Leave it upright, lube the chain, lift the bike by the seat and hand crank the pedals? Then afterward you wipe the excess off of the chain, right? I bought a four ounce bottle at the LBS. About how much of that would be the typical amount to use for one cleaning?

Thanks for any wisdom or insight you can impart.

John
diverguy is offline  
Old 12-26-09, 04:04 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Put the bike against a wall. Wipe the chain-with a rag your left hand, grab the chain at the lower rung and with your right hand, crank the pedals backwards until the chain is clean. Now lube the chain by drizzling oil on the lower rung of the chain as you crank the pedals backwards. Next time you ride the bike, wipe off excess using above technique.

Wipe the chain every time you ride (takes less than 30 seconds)
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline  
Old 12-26-09, 05:19 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
mechBgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
lube the chain, and hand crank the pedals to run the lubed chain through the gears?
Skip that last bit. You want your gears as clean as practical so they don't attract dirt-aka-grinding-compound more than necessary. Where you need the lube, is in the parts of the chain that swivel on eachother (inside the rollers, and where the plates swivel against eachother).

We use R&R Gold at work as our default chain lube, so I'll mention my preferred technique:

1) remove the rear wheel, clean cassette if appropriate, and set the rear wheel aside.

2) put a "dummy hub" into the rear triangle in place of the rear wheel, with the chain running over its freehub body.

3) clean chainrings if appropriate (depends what we're doing to the bike)

4) shift the chain to the big ring and backpedal to make sure the chain's happy and not going to jump the upper RD pulley (usually a few clicks in makes it line up happily)

5) apply the lube at the top of the dummy hub's cassette body while backpedalling the chain, then immediately wipe off the excess by backpedalling the bottom run of chain through a rag for 20-30 seconds. If the chain was really nasty, repeat.

6) shift the chain to the small chainring and use a rag to clean the residual lube off the big chainring: inboard, outboard, and flossing the chainring teeth themselves.

7) reinstall rear wheel
mechBgon is offline  
Old 12-26-09, 05:32 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
rdtompki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollister, CA
Posts: 3,957

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you're prone to take the chain off for cleaning you can put some R&R Gold in a baggie, drop the chain in and swish around. Amazing how much gunk comes off. I would wipe the chain down and give a light lube followed by a wipe after re-installation.
rdtompki is offline  
Old 12-26-09, 06:57 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 218

Bikes: Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rock n Roll Website:

Application Instructions

Shake well and apply a stream of lube to the chain at the cassette. Do not drip the lube on like you would oil-this is not oil!

Get the chain really wet, this stuff cleans and lubes all in one. Freewheel the chain backwards for about 5 seconds-no less.

Wipe off all the excess lube (all of it, wipe the chain as clean as it will get). That's it go ride ...
rcummings1 is offline  
Old 12-26-09, 07:04 PM
  #6  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
Skip that last bit. You want your gears as clean as practical so they don't attract dirt-aka-grinding-compound more than necessary. Where you need the lube, is in the parts of the chain that swivel on eachother (inside the rollers, and where the plates swivel against eachother).

We use R&R Gold at work as our default chain lube, so I'll mention my preferred technique:

1) remove the rear wheel, clean cassette if appropriate, and set the rear wheel aside.

2) put a "dummy hub" into the rear triangle in place of the rear wheel, with the chain running over its freehub body.

3) clean chainrings if appropriate (depends what we're doing to the bike)

4) shift the chain to the big ring and backpedal to make sure the chain's happy and not going to jump the upper RD pulley (usually a few clicks in makes it line up happily)

5) apply the lube at the top of the dummy hub's cassette body while backpedalling the chain, then immediately wipe off the excess by backpedalling the bottom run of chain through a rag for 20-30 seconds. If the chain was really nasty, repeat.

6) shift the chain to the small chainring and use a rag to clean the residual lube off the big chainring: inboard, outboard, and flossing the chainring teeth themselves.

7) reinstall rear wheel
Wow, if I had to do that every time I would quit riding. I lube my chain with R&R gold every few days in the manner according to their directions (posted below). Maybe twice a month I will clean the cassette and the chainrings completely. Also when replacing the chain.
umd is offline  
Old 12-26-09, 07:07 PM
  #7  
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 27,487

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6287 Post(s)
Liked 4,329 Times in 2,425 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
If you're prone to take the chain off for cleaning you can put some R&R Gold in a baggie, drop the chain in and swish around. Amazing how much gunk comes off. I would wipe the chain down and give a light lube followed by a wipe after re-installation.
Use solvents liberally and lubricant sparingly.

There are much better...and far cheaper... ways to clean a chain. A pint of mineral spirits (aka paint thinnner) will rip oils off in seconds. It dries quickly, is cheap and relatively nontoxic. Simply remove the chain (that's why master links were invented), drop it into an old Gatorade bottle, swish around for 30 seconds or so, fish the chain out, let it dry and put it back on the bike. Now lube per the lubricant manufacturer's instructions.

If you use a dry lube, you only have to do the cleaning once.
__________________
Stuart Black
Plan Epsilon Around Lake Michigan in the era of Covid
Old School…When It Wasn’t Ancient bikepacking
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!



cyccommute is online now  
Old 12-26-09, 08:21 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by rcummings1
Rock n Roll Website:

Application Instructions

Shake well and apply a stream of lube to the chain at the cassette. Do not drip the lube on like you would oil-this is not oil!

Get the chain really wet, this stuff cleans and lubes all in one. Freewheel the chain backwards for about 5 seconds-no less.

Wipe off all the excess lube (all of it, wipe the chain as clean as it will get). That's it go ride ...
They only tell you to do that so they can sell you a bottle a week.
Yan is offline  
Old 12-26-09, 08:33 PM
  #9  
No longer just a beginner
Thread Starter
 
diverguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Auburndale, FL
Posts: 444

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like mineral spirits, a brush, and a rag will take care of the grime in the cassette and the front rings, wipe down the chain, and then follow the Rock N Roll Gold instructions that were kindly posted above. Sounds easy enough. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.
diverguy is offline  
Old 12-26-09, 08:38 PM
  #10  
It's ALL base...
 
DScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Wow, if I had to do that every time I would quit riding. I lube my chain with R&R gold every few days in the manner according to their directions (posted below). Maybe twice a month I will clean the cassette and the chainrings completely. Also when replacing the chain.
Yes. I just don't undertand this obsession with having a spotless drivechain. I get from 3-4000 miles on a chain, about 6-7000 miles on a cassette, and am just about ready to replace the chainrings after 15,000 miles. I think it actually helps to avoid over-cleaning that I have a Campy drivetrain, with no easily removed quick-link. Just do the clean-n-lube thing, and move on with life.


Originally Posted by rcummings1
Rock n Roll Website:

Application Instructions

Shake well and apply a stream of lube to the chain at the cassette. Do not drip the lube on like you would oil-this is not oil!

Get the chain really wet, this stuff cleans and lubes all in one. Freewheel the chain backwards for about 5 seconds-no less.

Wipe off all the excess lube (all of it, wipe the chain as clean as it will get). That's it go ride ...
Exactly. Takes all of 45 seconds. I do mine about every other ride.



Originally Posted by Yan
They only tell you to do that so they can sell you a bottle a week.
No.

I ride 3-4 times a week, and go through a bottle in 3-4 months. Works for me.
DScott is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Arcanum
Electric Bikes
5
02-05-16 10:39 AM
lineinthewater
Bicycle Mechanics
66
02-21-13 09:24 PM
beginnerbiker1
Road Cycling
7
11-06-11 08:03 PM
Univega
Road Cycling
23
05-06-11 09:42 AM
davida
Road Cycling
27
02-27-11 12:35 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.