Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Truvativ Rouleur Carbon crankset

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Truvativ Rouleur Carbon crankset

Old 02-09-10, 12:57 PM
  #1  
voltman
It is fantastic.
Thread Starter
 
voltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The OC
Posts: 7,977

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Truvativ Rouleur Carbon crankset

Does anyone have any experience with the Truvativ Rouleur Carbon crankset?



Thanks.
voltman is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 01:32 PM
  #2  
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport
 
FlashBazbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 4,288

Bikes: OPEN new U.P. Di2

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Yes. To summarize my experience:

1. It doesn't provide great shift performance. It was a noticeable upgrade moving from the Rouleur to (at the time) a Shimano 700-series compact.

2. It's not really a carbon crankset. It is a layer of decorative carbon over a metal crankset. It's not very light. It's not very stiff.

Overall, I would call this crankset mediocre. It gets the job done and is neither awful nor very good. This is Truvativ's economy crankset, primarily for the OEM market.
FlashBazbo is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 01:33 PM
  #3  
knowledgdropper 
Needs the magic spanner
 
knowledgdropper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lovely Long Beach, CA
Posts: 462

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3, Bianchi Cafe Milano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not the latest & greatest, but mine have gotten the job done for the thousand, or so, miles that I've had them. I was told it's the same crank as SRAM S900- could be wrong though. My rings aren't ano'd, though. Worked out nicely for me since it is Quarq compatible, too. Can be had for fairly cheap, too.
knowledgdropper is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 03:56 PM
  #4  
akeelor
Senior Member
 
akeelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by voltman View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Truvativ Rouleur Carbon crankset?



Thanks.
I've got one I pulled off one of my bikes after 500 miles +/-. 175 arm length. For sale. Make an offer.
akeelor is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 04:44 PM
  #5  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
2. It's not really a carbon crankset. It is a layer of decorative carbon over a metal crankset. It's not very light. It's not very stiff.
Are you sure about that? My understanding is that it is the same as the SRAM S900 and I'm pretty sure that the S900 is full carbon. Definitely not light, but plenty stiff. I want to see the power output of all the people claiming that they aren't stiff enough.
umd is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 04:53 PM
  #6  
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport
 
FlashBazbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 4,288

Bikes: OPEN new U.P. Di2

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by umd View Post
Are you sure about that? My understanding is that it is the same as the SRAM S900 and I'm pretty sure that the S900 is full carbon. Definitely not light, but plenty stiff. I want to see the power output of all the people claiming that they aren't stiff enough.
Yes. I don't know if it's the same as the SRAM item, but if you view the crank from the other side, you can see the metal spider.

My experience of flex came in the mountains. On level ground, no problem.
FlashBazbo is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 04:55 PM
  #7  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
Yes. I don't know if it's the same as the SRAM item, but if you view the crank from the other side, you can see the metal spider.
The spider is metal but the arms are carbon.
umd is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 05:15 PM
  #8  
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport
 
FlashBazbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 4,288

Bikes: OPEN new U.P. Di2

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by umd View Post
The spider is metal but the arms are carbon.
No. Check out the Truvativ portion of the SRAM website. Carbon wrapped around forged aluminum.

And it sounds better the way they put it on their website than they appear in person. Keep in mind . . . this is a $150 crankset. Actually not a bad crankset for $150 -- but not what you really expect when you're buying a "carbon" crankset.
FlashBazbo is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 05:20 PM
  #9  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
No. Check out the Truvativ portion of the SRAM website. Carbon wrapped around forged aluminum.

And it sounds better the way they put it on their website than they appear in person. Keep in mind . . . this is a $150 crankset. Actually not a bad crankset for $150 -- but not what you really expect when you're buying a "carbon" crankset.
I've seen it in person, as far as I can tell it is the same as the S900, which I have two of. Nowhere does it say carbon wrapped around forged aluminum, it says carbon arms with a forged alloy spine (meaning the spider).
umd is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 05:35 PM
  #10  
intence
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to agree with UMD. It looks identical to the S900, except the S900 has no markings on it, while this has the Truvativ logo.
intence is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 05:39 PM
  #11  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also rebranded as a Bontrager somethingorother
umd is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 05:47 PM
  #12  
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voltman View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Truvativ Rouleur Carbon crankset?



Thanks.
You need a new bike.
GP is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 06:11 PM
  #13  
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport
 
FlashBazbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 4,288

Bikes: OPEN new U.P. Di2

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by umd View Post
I've seen it in person, as far as I can tell it is the same as the S900, which I have two of. Nowhere does it say carbon wrapped around forged aluminum, it says carbon arms with a forged alloy spine (meaning the spider).
I've not just seen it, I've owned it. Used it. Worked on it. Photographed it. Packaged it. Shipped it when I sold it.

I can't believe you're even arguing this point. Amazing.

Now, I'm no expert on a SRAM S900, but why is the SRAM 35% higher in price than the Rouleur Carbon? Is it the SRAM label?
FlashBazbo is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 06:13 PM
  #14  
Rocket-Sauce 
Port
 
Rocket-Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 7,887

Bikes: 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 212 Posts
While it is a bit vague, I think the product description does mean that it has carbon arms and alloy spider. Their exact wording is "Carbon arms with forged alloy spine"
https://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/road/rouleur/carbon.php

Looks very similar but not quite identical to the 2010 Sram S900
https://www.sram.com/node/103/brand/sram-road/src/cat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hero-larger_3.jpg (99.3 KB, 12 views)
Rocket-Sauce is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 06:24 PM
  #15  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
I've not just seen it, I've owned it. Used it. Worked on it. Photographed it. Packaged it. Shipped it when I sold it.

I can't believe you're even arguing this point. Amazing.

Now, I'm no expert on a SRAM S900, but why is the SRAM 35% higher in price than the Rouleur Carbon? Is it the SRAM label?
I haven't owned one but I have held one. I can't discern any difference between the two. Don't discount the markup of labels and rebranding. But regardless, what are you seeing that it's carbon wrapped aluminum?
umd is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 06:26 PM
  #16  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce View Post
Looks very similar but not quite identical to the 2010 Sram S900
https://www.sram.com/node/103/brand/sram-road/src/cat
They changed the graphics and the shape slightly for 2010 it seems. Here is the older one, with a Quarq on it...

umd is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 06:36 PM
  #17  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is the back of my crank arm (actually it's kuf's)

umd is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 06:37 PM
  #18  
mike868y
Senior Member
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,284
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd View Post
I haven't owned one but I have held one. I can't discern any difference between the two. Don't discount the markup of labels and rebranding. But regardless, what are you seeing that it's carbon wrapped aluminum?
I think they are assuming that "spline" means the inner part of the arm, which IIRC is incorrect, it refers to the part which goes through the BB.
mike868y is offline  
Old 02-09-10, 11:52 PM
  #19  
mkbruch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spearfish, SD
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voltman View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Truvativ Rouleur Carbon crankset?
The 2009 SRAM S900, Bontrager Race X Lite and Truvativ Rouleur Carbon cranksets are all the same, just branded differently. We have broken those arms on our fatigue tester while testing CinQos so we've seen what they look like inside. The cranks are structural carbon with an aluminum spine and foam core.

FYI, the 2010 model of the SRAM S900 (S975) cranks are hollow carbon and about 50 grams lighter than the 2009 model.

Mieke
Quarq Technology
mkbruch is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 12:03 AM
  #20  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There we go... an answer from someone who knows

Thanks Mieke.

How has winter been for you up in Spearfish?
umd is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 12:15 AM
  #21  
mzeffex 
Senior Member
 
mzeffex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,458

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mkbruch View Post
The 2009 SRAM S900, Bontrager Race X Lite and Truvativ Rouleur Carbon cranksets are all the same, just branded differently. We have broken those arms on our fatigue tester while testing CinQos so we've seen what they look like inside. The cranks are structural carbon with an aluminum spine and foam core.

FYI, the 2010 model of the SRAM S900 (S975) cranks are hollow carbon and about 50 grams lighter than the 2009 model.

Mieke
Quarq Technology
I don't get it. I am aware I am incompetent. Is the crank arm aluminum in the middle?
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Are they talking about spectators feeding the cyclists? You know, like don't feed the bears?
mzeffex is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 12:23 AM
  #22  
voltman
It is fantastic.
Thread Starter
 
voltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The OC
Posts: 7,977

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You need a new bike.
I wouldn't know what size to get.
voltman is offline  
Old 02-10-10, 12:26 AM
  #23  
voltman
It is fantastic.
Thread Starter
 
voltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The OC
Posts: 7,977

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkbruch View Post
The 2009 SRAM S900, Bontrager Race X Lite and Truvativ Rouleur Carbon cranksets are all the same, just branded differently. We have broken those arms on our fatigue tester while testing CinQos so we've seen what they look like inside. The cranks are structural carbon with an aluminum spine and foam core.

FYI, the 2010 model of the SRAM S900 (S975) cranks are hollow carbon and about 50 grams lighter than the 2009 model.

Mieke
Quarq Technology
How did they do?
voltman is offline  
Old 02-11-10, 12:03 AM
  #24  
mkbruch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spearfish, SD
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex View Post
I don't get it. I am aware I am incompetent. Is the crank arm aluminum in the middle?
Yes, the crank arm is aluminum in the middle. However, it is just an aluminum spine and not an aluminum crank with a thin carbon wrap. A big part of the crank's structure comes from the carbon that is wrapped/pressed/bonded (don't know the correct terminology) around the aluminum and foam core.

Mieke
Quarq Technology
mkbruch is offline  
Old 02-11-10, 12:04 AM
  #25  
mzeffex 
Senior Member
 
mzeffex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,458

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Ah okay, cool.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Are they talking about spectators feeding the cyclists? You know, like don't feed the bears?
mzeffex is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.