Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Got to demo 2011 Tarmac and Roubaix today

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Got to demo 2011 Tarmac and Roubaix today

Old 08-13-10, 02:02 PM
  #1  
bonz50
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 2,330

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got to demo 2011 Tarmac and Roubaix today

rode an ultegra equipped roubaix and tarmac, only put about 2 miles on each... (on lunch break, didn't have much time to get real thorough)... this was my first ride on a Tarmac, second ride on a Roubaix (previous was a 2010 w/ 105)... rode the Tarmac first, both bikes were 56's based on the Specialized Tech's recommendation (which I thought would be kinda small for someone that is between 6 and 6-1), but they felt pretty good... I think if/when I decide to buy I'm going to try a 58 as well, just for comparisons sake...

test notes:

1. Roubaix in matte black is awfully stealthy lookin
2. Roubaix is by far the smoothest road bike I've ever been on, seating position had me canted forward only slightly more than a typical hard tail mtb. (ok, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one)
3. Tarmac flat out GOES!!!! this bike just feels fast even though I was traveling about the same speed on both, the tarmac feels much more connected to the road
4. wasn't particularly impressed with the new ultegra group, brakes are good, shifting is ok, wanna try one with sram rival on it next
5. the 'zertz' system used on the Roubaix fork, seat post, and seat stays absorbs every little buzz you could possibly think of where the tarmac you feel every little road imperfection there is
6. I can totally see why people love the Roubaix so much, though I kinda preferred the Tarmac...

I came into this demo expecting to prefer the Roubaix and was very shocked that I liked the Tarmac as much, maybe even a Red C Hair more...

one cool little note about the demo (this was a specialized factory demo), they actually had one of Contador's TdF bikes there ... I did get to lay hands on it, I think that thing is actually lighter than air... i bet it didn't top 13 pounds... amazing

please note: these are comments from a guy who hasn't owned a road bike since about 1989 (a 1984 Fuji Touring 3)... during the demo I had to use platforms since I have no shoes/pedals...
bonz50 is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 02:12 PM
  #2  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
umd is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 02:15 PM
  #3  
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 6,039

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm jealous. Do most Specialized dealers do these demo days?
PhotoJoe is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 02:17 PM
  #4  
bonz50
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 2,330

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
only one I've heard of in my area... and I still had to drive quite a ways to get to it... don't tell the boss eh??
bonz50 is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 02:34 PM
  #5  
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 6,039

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't wait to try the Roubaix. I just don't want to waste the LBS' time until I have the money....which may be a while. I wouldn't feel as guilty if it was a demo day!
PhotoJoe is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 03:00 PM
  #6  
transamman1999
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
pics or it didn't happen
transamman1999 is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 03:03 PM
  #7  
Velo Gator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,723

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I cant believe you wrote out red c hair...

Anyway, what didn't you like about the Ultegra? I tried a Tarmac while shopping and agree, it was a fantastic bike.
Velo Gator is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 03:04 PM
  #8  
dstrong 
Senior Member
 
dstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Awesome, Austin, TX
Posts: 4,204

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I just marked November 22 on my calendar...Specialized demo day here in Austin. Thanks.
__________________

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

dstrong is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 03:12 PM
  #9  
mike868y
Senior Member
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,284
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did your chain fall off? How about your shifter cable, did it break? And did the seat post slip?

Just kidding, of course. Glad you liked the bike, I love my tarmac.
mike868y is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 03:46 PM
  #10  
bonz50
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 2,330

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
left my DL at the shop so I had to go back, have to correct some errors, the bike they had there was Cancellera's not contador's, the tarmac was an S-Works equipped with DA... roubaix was as described though...

still excellent bikes, and I'm pretty confident that Tarmac is higher up on my list now for the first time...
bonz50 is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 04:45 PM
  #11  
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All
 
BikeWNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Basking in the Sun.
Posts: 4,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switch the wheels on the two bikes and see then how they feel. The 25c tires on the Roubaix absorb way more road vibration than the zertz do. I ride my Roubaix with 23c tires and put 25c on the Tarmac to smooth it out a bit.
BikeWNC is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 05:09 PM
  #12  
Sourpuss Magee
Senior Member
 
Sourpuss Magee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Middlesex
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zertz...they make me laugh.
Sourpuss Magee is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 09:13 PM
  #13  
oilman_15106
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
13 pounds! No wonder he won, his bike was illegal.
oilman_15106 is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 09:19 PM
  #14  
Blackdays
Boom.
 
Blackdays's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh -> Cleveland -> San Francisco
Posts: 2,523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
rode an ultegra equipped roubaix and tarmac, only put about 2 miles on each... (on lunch break, didn't have much time to get real thorough)... this was my first ride on a Tarmac, second ride on a Roubaix (previous was a 2010 w/ 105)... rode the Tarmac first, both bikes were 56's based on the Specialized Tech's recommendation (which I thought would be kinda small for someone that is between 6 and 6-1), but they felt pretty good... I think if/when I decide to buy I'm going to try a 58 as well, just for comparisons sake...

test notes:

1. Roubaix in matte black is awfully stealthy lookin
2. Roubaix is by far the smoothest road bike I've ever been on, seating position had me canted forward only slightly more than a typical hard tail mtb. (ok, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one)
3. Tarmac flat out GOES!!!! this bike just feels fast even though I was traveling about the same speed on both, the tarmac feels much more connected to the road
4. wasn't particularly impressed with the new ultegra group, brakes are good, shifting is ok, wanna try one with sram rival on it next
5. the 'zertz' system used on the Roubaix fork, seat post, and seat stays absorbs every little buzz you could possibly think of where the tarmac you feel every little road imperfection there is
6. I can totally see why people love the Roubaix so much, though I kinda preferred the Tarmac...

I came into this demo expecting to prefer the Roubaix and was very shocked that I liked the Tarmac as much, maybe even a Red C Hair more...

one cool little note about the demo (this was a specialized factory demo), they actually had one of Contador's TdF bikes there ... I did get to lay hands on it, I think that thing is actually lighter than air... i bet it didn't top 13 pounds... amazing

please note: these are comments from a guy who hasn't owned a road bike since about 1989 (a 1984 Fuji Touring 3)... during the demo I had to use platforms since I have no shoes/pedals...
Wrong.
Blackdays is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 10:02 PM
  #15  
pigmode
works for truffles
 
pigmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
Switch the wheels on the two bikes and see then how they feel. The 25c tires on the Roubaix absorb way more road vibration than the zertz do. I ride my Roubaix with 23c tires and put 25c on the Tarmac to smooth it out a bit.

Agree, but...

Switching to the Conti 4000S yesterday, after the first 100 yd., ride-wise I couldn't recall the difference between it and the 25mm Conti 4000. 97 mi. later on a 2010 Roubaix Comp, same thing. On the other hand the 23's definitely feel a little more precise on a 40+ mph descent with a string of 30+ mph curves.

No comment on the zertz, as I don't see any practical way to discriminate its effect on a consumer level.
pigmode is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 10:16 PM
  #16  
Crash716
i got nothing.
 
Crash716's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cali Forn NI A (SoCal)
Posts: 5,723

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
13 pounds! No wonder he won, his bike was illegal.
that was i was thinking...but he was having a good time so i let it go.

Tarmacs are great bikes that's for sure!!
__________________
14 days...
Crash716 is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 10:54 PM
  #17  
Epicus07
Velophile
 
Epicus07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,083

Bikes: See Signature.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding my new Guerciotti lately. The columbus SLX is smooth as butter but it still pales in comparison to my Roubaix. mmm just thinking about it makes me want to go polish it
Epicus07 is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 11:47 PM
  #18  
Jay-W
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
Agree, but...

Switching to the Conti 4000S yesterday, after the first 100 yd., ride-wise I couldn't recall the difference between it and the 25mm Conti 4000. 97 mi. later on a 2010 Roubaix Comp, same thing. On the other hand the 23's definitely feel a little more precise on a 40+ mph descent with a string of 30+ mph curves.


No comment on the zertz, as I don't see any practical way to discriminate its effect on a consumer level.
Like the Specialized rep at my LBS says, "it's the final touch not the main point".
Jay-W is offline  
Old 08-16-10, 08:22 AM
  #19  
bonz50
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 2,330

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crash716 View Post
that was i was thinking...but he was having a good time so i let it go.

Tarmacs are great bikes that's for sure!!
thanks, i have no idea about the 'rules' being a n00b and all... suffice it to say it was lighter than any bike I've ever laid hands on...
bonz50 is offline  
Old 08-16-10, 10:41 AM
  #20  
Blackdays
Boom.
 
Blackdays's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh -> Cleveland -> San Francisco
Posts: 2,523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
thanks, i have no idea about the 'rules' being a n00b and all... suffice it to say it was lighter than any bike I've ever laid hands on...
The minimum bike weight is 15lbs.
Blackdays is offline  
Old 08-16-10, 11:18 AM
  #21  
bonz50
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 2,330

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blackdays View Post
The minimum bike weight is 15lbs.
good to know going forward, thx!
bonz50 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mukaeli
Road Cycling
22
01-11-15 10:35 AM
FlashBazbo
Road Cycling
15
08-04-11 06:15 PM
MPress
Road Cycling
10
07-15-11 10:52 PM
sdlesko
Fifty Plus (50+)
59
12-18-10 07:33 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.