Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Old 09-22-10, 07:44 PM
  #76  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,393

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadandmountain View Post
I test rode a 'dale years and years ago. The ridiculous amount of vibration and harshness has to be experienced first hand to be believed.

Cannondale used to cater to a segment of over-weight riders who needed a super stiff frame. However, since the average american is now very overweight, I guess they cater to the average american buyer. Cannondale is an american institution, kinda like Mcdonald's and Krispy Kreme,
Your account describes CAAD bikes from the late 90's. Not now. My 2007 Six13 had the CAAD rear triangle (aluminum) and it felt like a vertically compliant Ti ride. GREAT bike. I've heard similar accounts of the all alu CAAD frames over the past five years.

I owned a CAAD 3 around 1997. Great race bike, but very stiff. Never bothered me that much. But the newer ones are a whole different experience.
patentcad is offline  
Old 09-22-10, 07:53 PM
  #77  
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,327

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357 View Post
Fixie Scattante with funny bars and a Trek Y-foil?

Nice taste in bikes!

Nice fridge decals too!


The sarcasm is thick enough to make me thirsty, but FYI...

2 x Y-foils
1 x BP Stealth
1X Scattante

and The One and only - Caad9

CyciumX is offline  
Old 09-22-10, 08:02 PM
  #78  
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care
 
fauxto nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357 View Post
Goofiest looking saddle and bars EVER.
Not really, it's a carbon Fizik Aliante and some Easton EA70's, pretty standard. It's called camera angle.
fauxto nick is offline  
Old 09-22-10, 08:06 PM
  #79  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your stand also angles your bike nose down.

Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
Why? I don't know too many people with allezs, but I've only heard good things about them.
Unless it's the S-Works Al Allez of yore, there's no comparison. I think the CAAD still had a nose up on those, but I have a soft spot for the red s works allez'.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-22-10, 08:26 PM
  #80  
mike868y
avatar by Sean Powers
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: charm city
Posts: 9,281

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Your stand also angles your bike nose down.



Unless it's the S-Works Al Allez of yore, there's no comparison. I think the CAAD still had a nose up on those, but I have a soft spot for the red s works allez'.
I'm not calling you out, but unless you've ridden the new allez (granted, I have not ridden a caad or an allez, which is why I'd like to hear from someone who has), you seem to be falling under the common bf belief that the caad9/10 is the best aluminum bike ever. It very well may be, but I would like to hear from someone who has ridden the new allez.
mike868y is offline  
Old 09-22-10, 08:43 PM
  #81  
tagaproject6
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,259

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
I'm not calling you out, but unless you've ridden the new allez (granted, I have not ridden a caad or an allez, which is why I'd like to hear from someone who has), you seem to be falling under the common bf belief that the caad9/10 is the best aluminum bike ever. It very well may be, but I would like to hear from someone who has ridden the new allez.
This is true, but you have to understand that it is a cult following...it does not matter if there are others out there, only CAAD matters...not that there's anything wrong with that

I have a 2009 Allez and picked it over a CAAD9 5 or was it a 6...I forget... Anyway, I just found it more comfortable and a better fit. I tried the 2011 Allez with Apex and I found it a bit stiffer than the 09, my LBS let me try it on for a few hours.
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 09-22-10, 08:55 PM
  #82  
2ndGen
CAADdict
Thread Starter
 
2ndGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BF Heaven
Posts: 6,756

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fauxto nick View Post
[Originally Posted by colombo357
Goofiest looking saddle and bars EVER.0 Not really, it's a carbon Fizik Aliante and some Easton EA70's, pretty standard. It's called camera angle.



PWNED.



2ndGen is offline  
Old 09-22-10, 08:57 PM
  #83  
2ndGen
CAADdict
Thread Starter
 
2ndGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BF Heaven
Posts: 6,756

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
I'm not calling you out, but unless you've ridden the new allez (granted, I have not ridden a caad or an allez, which is why I'd like to hear from someone who has), you seem to be falling under the common bf belief that the caad9/10 is the best aluminum bike ever. It very well may be, but I would like to hear from someone who has ridden the new allez.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=653849
2ndGen is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 01:49 AM
  #84  
littlewing6283
Senior Member
 
littlewing6283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
littlewing6283 is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 05:37 AM
  #85  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,637

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
How can a bike be boring?
If you suck as a rider, you can't tell the performance differences, so you buy on looks and color.
roadwarrior is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 05:40 AM
  #86  
roadwarrior
Senior Member
 
roadwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Someplace trying to figure it out
Posts: 10,637

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
Your account describes CAAD bikes from the late 90's. Not now. My 2007 Six13 had the CAAD rear triangle (aluminum) and it felt like a vertically compliant Ti ride. GREAT bike. I've heard similar accounts of the all alu CAAD frames over the past five years.

I owned a CAAD 3 around 1997. Great race bike, but very stiff. Never bothered me that much. But the newer ones are a whole different experience.
Exactly. BTW...that CAAD3 frame was the one where Cippolini looked into the camea afer breaking the Giro stage win record and said, "Cannondale makes the best bikes."
roadwarrior is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 05:47 AM
  #87  
fortega00
Rock'N'Rolla
 
fortega00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 26

Bikes: '09 Felt F1SL Team Issue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just received my CAAD10-4 yesterday. What a machine. I have never anticipated a bike so much, let alone an aluminum. It will be built today and will give my first impressions on the ride. I just gave up my 09 F1SL with Dura-Ace for an the most advanced aluminum design yet and sram rival. Some think I'm crazy, but i think this bike is going to be hard to keep in stock this year. Only downside is the wheelset. I'm thinking either Mavic R-Sys premiums or a set of Easton EC90SL's. I'm not into the weight game, but the bike weighs in at 17.5lbs with Keo Classic pedals and the stock hoops. I'll probably throw on some Keo Blades before taking it out. Looks like one hell of a bike, I'll post pics up later. The other anticipated bike is the Look 695.
fortega00 is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 06:07 AM
  #88  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 18,087

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fortega00 View Post
Just received my CAAD10-4 yesterday. What a machine. I have never anticipated a bike so much, let alone an aluminum. It will be built today and will give my first impressions on the ride. I just gave up my 09 F1SL with Dura-Ace for an the most advanced aluminum design yet and sram rival. Some think I'm crazy, but i think this bike is going to be hard to keep in stock this year. Only downside is the wheelset. I'm thinking either Mavic R-Sys premiums or a set of Easton EC90SL's. I'm not into the weight game, but the bike weighs in at 17.5lbs with Keo Classic pedals and the stock hoops. I'll probably throw on some Keo Blades before taking it out. Looks like one hell of a bike, I'll post pics up later. The other anticipated bike is the Look 695.
Dumb question and not being a smart aleck, but how do you know it is a great machine and the weight if it hasn't been built up yet?
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 06:17 AM
  #89  
fortega00
Rock'N'Rolla
 
fortega00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 26

Bikes: '09 Felt F1SL Team Issue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
Dumb question and not being a smart aleck, but how do you know it is a great machine and the weight if it hasn't been built up yet?
Good question. I guess I worded it wrong. The guys put it together for me yesterday so they could weigh it. One of my mechanics loves Dale's so he was dying to see what it weighed. I through pedals on it that were laying around to get a rough idea of the build weight. So technically, its built, just not finished i.e. cables, derailler adjustments, fit position.

How do I know its a machine? There are no visible welds, the fit and finish, and the tube sizing on the bike are stunning to look at. The one question everyone asked yesterday was " That's aluminum?" It does look at first glance like a carbon frame because of the tube shapes. I'm not sure how it rides yet, but it does looks like one of those bikes that just goes when you mash the pedals.

Does that make more sense?
fortega00 is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 06:27 AM
  #90  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 18,087

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fortega00 View Post
Does that make more sense?
Makes perfect sense, like I said I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck or negative. Thanks for the reply, I look forward to reading your ride review for it.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 06:30 AM
  #91  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,037

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fortega00 View Post
Just received my CAAD10-4 yesterday. What a machine. I have never anticipated a bike so much, let alone an aluminum. It will be built today and will give my first impressions on the ride. I just gave up my 09 F1SL with Dura-Ace for an the most advanced aluminum design yet and sram rival. Some think I'm crazy, but i think this bike is going to be hard to keep in stock this year. Only downside is the wheelset. I'm thinking either Mavic R-Sys premiums or a set of Easton EC90SL's. I'm not into the weight game, but the bike weighs in at 17.5lbs with Keo Classic pedals and the stock hoops. I'll probably throw on some Keo Blades before taking it out. Looks like one hell of a bike, I'll post pics up later. The other anticipated bike is the Look 695.
Why ? Risk, price and non-aero seem to make them about the worst choice for wheels.

I'm tempted to take my late 80's 3.0 for a ride. Can't remember what it was like.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-23-10 at 06:34 AM.
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 07:19 AM
  #92  
2ndGen
CAADdict
Thread Starter
 
2ndGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BF Heaven
Posts: 6,756

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Exactly. BTW...that CAAD3 frame was the one where Cippolini looked into the camea afer breaking the Giro stage win record and said, "Cannondale makes the best bikes."


Awesome!
2ndGen is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 07:27 AM
  #93  
aham23
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Posts: 6,951

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all these "i got a CAAD10" post with no pics are dumb. post the pic so we can see it and give it the proper BF Caad love.

the 2010 frameset have the same MSRP as the 2009 @ $849.

what i enjoy most about my CAAD9 is the way the bike responds when i jump on it. instantly i feel the bike surge forward. later.
__________________
aham23 is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 07:29 AM
  #94  
2ndGen
CAADdict
Thread Starter
 
2ndGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BF Heaven
Posts: 6,756

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fortega00 View Post
The one question everyone asked yesterday was " That's aluminum?" It does look at first glance like a carbon frame because of the tube shapes.
That was exactly the first thing I thought when I saw one (same impression
with my Trek 1.5 too...people swore it was a Madone at first sight).

Matter of fact, the CAAD10 tubes remind me a lot of the Trek 1.5's.
2ndGen is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 07:37 AM
  #95  
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 6,039

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post

Matter of fact, the CAAD10 tubes remind me a lot of the Trek 1.5's.
PhotoJoe is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 07:39 AM
  #96  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
Why? I don't know too many people with allezs, but I've only heard good things about them.
I'd buy a spooky before a specialized. Actually, I'm not sure which I'd like more the spooky or a 10. The spooky skeletor was a really sweet riding bike.

Also, I really don't like specialized, so I wouldn't buy one of their bikes.

The new Allez come with a 105 componentry. That doesn't really inspire confidence in a frame for me. If a company is selling a frame with mid line parts, then that says what their intentions of the frame is.

None of them suck, but all I'm saying is that if anyone knows Al, it's Cannondale.

Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
That was exactly the first thing I thought when I saw one (same impression
with my Trek 1.5 too...people swore it was a Madone at first sight).

Matter of fact, the CAAD10 tubes remind me a lot of the Trek 1.5's.
What came first, the chicken or the egg.

In this case, it was definitely the CAADs. i.e. you have that backwards.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 07:41 AM
  #97  
mike868y
avatar by Sean Powers
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: charm city
Posts: 9,281

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I'd buy a spooky before a specialized. Actually, I'm not sure which I'd like more the spooky or a 10. The spooky skeletor was a really sweet riding bike.

Also, I really don't like specialized, so I wouldn't buy one of their bikes.

The new Allez come with a 105 componentry. That doesn't really inspire confidence in a frame for me. If a company is selling a frame with mid line parts, then that says what their intentions of the frame is.

None of them suck, but all I'm saying is that if anyone knows Al, it's Cannondale.
Spookys look so bad ass, they are just pretty pricy (especially now that the prices got raised). I'm just blown away that spec is selling the allez frameset for 550.
mike868y is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 07:50 AM
  #98  
2ndGen
CAADdict
Thread Starter
 
2ndGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BF Heaven
Posts: 6,756

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

What came first, the chicken or the egg.

In this case, it was definitely the CAADs. i.e. you have that backwards.
Ok...show me a CAAD10 tube design in the CAAD series "BEFORE" the 1.5.
Compare the C9's straight classic down/top tubes to the 1.5's and to the C10's tapered tubes.
C10's also have straighter stays like 1.5's and "not" like the C9s.
Even the fork is straighter on the C10 like the 1.5's.
(Speaking as a previous owner of a 1.5, current owner of
a C9 and witness of an actual C10 sighting in person.)




CAAD9


Trek 1.5


CAAD10

Last edited by 2ndGen; 09-23-10 at 11:47 AM.
2ndGen is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 07:51 AM
  #99  
2ndGen
CAADdict
Thread Starter
 
2ndGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BF Heaven
Posts: 6,756

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Exactly. BTW...that CAAD3 frame was the one where Cippolini looked into the camea afer breaking the Giro stage win record and said, "Cannondale makes the best bikes."
This it?

2ndGen is offline  
Old 09-23-10, 10:10 AM
  #100  
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Posts: 4,126
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I'd buy a spooky before a specialized. Actually, I'm not sure which I'd like more the spooky or a 10. The spooky skeletor was a really sweet riding bike.

Also, I really don't like specialized, so I wouldn't buy one of their bikes.

The new Allez come with a 105 componentry. That doesn't really inspire confidence in a frame for me. If a company is selling a frame with mid line parts, then that says what their intentions of the frame is.

None of them suck, but all I'm saying is that if anyone knows Al, it's Cannondale.
What does this even mean? What does this link tell you about Cannondale's intentions for the CAAD9 in 2009? http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...cts/2009/Road/

Like the spec lists have nothing to do with costs of components or manufacturing, or distribution, or etc. C'mon dude, get a grip.
rankin116 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.