Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

under $500, lightweight 1500g and under, wheelsets.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

under $500, lightweight 1500g and under, wheelsets.

Old 09-26-10, 02:57 PM
  #26  
sammysalsa8
Hills are my Kryptonite.
Thread Starter
 
sammysalsa8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kent, WA (Seattle)
Posts: 25

Bikes: 2010 Dawes Lightning 2300, 2010 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
1) After 5 months, you are not experienced, not at all. I've been riding 3 years and I still consider myself a newb.
2) You are not "semi pro" as a cat 5. You are a total beginner.

"SCCA/Starbucks Cycling is an amateur race team of men and women who compete at local, regional, national and international events."

Now please, go ride your bike and stop worrying about bike parts. $500 wheels are not going to be a huge upgrade over your stock wheels anyway.

1. Isn't a little experience still experience? I'm just not "wise" with the whole concept. I mean I have the same amount of mileage as someone who has ridden an average of 40 miles a week for 2 years. Wouldn't that qualify as a significant amount of experience?

2. Well I was just telling you what he told me. Pardon for my ignorance. I just checked their website and it seems as if they highest category they have is cat-3. I apologize for being wrong.

.. I wish I could ride right now, but currently I'm at work and I won't be able to ride my baby 'til tomorrow
sammysalsa8 is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 03:29 PM
  #27  
BigSean
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the wheels, you''ll be glad ya did. Not sayin they will make ya faster, but the ride will be better. I bought a set of ksyruim Elites for under $500, but they claim 1550gr. That said get the Psimets and I think it will be worth the wait. I didnt have a training wheel at the time(have Zipp 404 tubulars), you do have wheels so get some nice hand built wheels. He should be back from inter bike to email him and see what he can do for ya.

Just an FYI, not really sure what a semi pro bike racer is. Either you are getting paid to ride for a team(pro) or your not(amateur). Cat 5 is beginner, then Cat 4(some stay here there entire racing years) and if yer faster then average you may move up to Cat3. After the Cat3, say Cat 2 then 1 it is a bit more difficult. Being a Cat 1 does not make anyone a pro.
BigSean is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 03:30 PM
  #28  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I just saw the test rider video review of those new Reynolds 46 mm tubulars. $6,000.

The Pcad fancy wheel budget doesn't generally exceed $2,000. I paid more than that for the Zipp 404 clinchers, but they have a Powertap hub.
patentcad is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 03:38 PM
  #29  
achoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sammysalsa8 View Post
I have been cycling for about 5 months now. I have done plenty of rides. I did the double century Seattle to Portland. I climbed Mt.Rainer. I average 150 miles a week, but I recently decreased that because of the season change here in Seattle.

...
Forget the wheels, buy some rain/cold weather gear and ride more.
achoo is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 03:43 PM
  #30  
longbeachgary
Senior Member
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Posts: 3,603

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sammysalsa8 View Post
So I recently got into this cycling thing. You can thank my friend in the Seattle SCCA/Starbuck's team for that. My first bike, a Dawes Lightning 2300, I bought about 5 months ago and have put plenty of miles. Probably 150 miles a week until this month (cold). So I just bought a Specialized Tarmac Elite 2010.

So now I have the Alex R500 and the Mavic CXP22 wheelsets. I have done alot of research, especially from this forum, of wheelsets in my price range and weight. I looked into Soul, Neuvation, Williams, BWW, Psimet, and Flit. The one that seems the most attractive to me are the Soul 2.0 in white! I heard the Psimet is on back order, so I'm not sure if I should still consider those. Well I would like a wheelset that will help me improve my hill climbs.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you all.
Congartulations on your commitment to cycling. If you want new wheels, get new wheels. Will they make you faster? Maybe - but maybe just having the new wheels will make you faster. Only you can decide what "faster" means - in a game of fractions of a second, taking a second (or 2) is a big deal.
longbeachgary is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 05:22 PM
  #31  
sammysalsa8
Hills are my Kryptonite.
Thread Starter
 
sammysalsa8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kent, WA (Seattle)
Posts: 25

Bikes: 2010 Dawes Lightning 2300, 2010 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean View Post
Get the wheels, you''ll be glad ya did. Not sayin they will make ya faster, but the ride will be better. I bought a set of ksyruim Elites for under $500, but they claim 1550gr. That said get the Psimets and I think it will be worth the wait. I didnt have a training wheel at the time(have Zipp 404 tubulars), you do have wheels so get some nice hand built wheels. He should be back from inter bike to email him and see what he can do for ya.

Just an FYI, not really sure what a semi pro bike racer is. Either you are getting paid to ride for a team(pro) or your not(amateur). Cat 5 is beginner, then Cat 4(some stay here there entire racing years) and if yer faster then average you may move up to Cat3. After the Cat3, say Cat 2 then 1 it is a bit more difficult. Being a Cat 1 does not make anyone a pro.
Hey thanks for laying out the categories. I definitely wanna start racing my bike next season. I'm still waiting for psimet to email back.

Originally Posted by achoo View Post
Forget the wheels, buy some rain/cold weather gear and ride more.
I am not riding my baby out in the rain! lol

Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
Congartulations on your commitment to cycling. If you want new wheels, get new wheels. Will they make you faster? Maybe - but maybe just having the new wheels will make you faster. Only you can decide what "faster" means - in a game of fractions of a second, taking a second (or 2) is a big deal.
Thanks! I guess I'll figure out on how to improve each mile I get on my bike.
sammysalsa8 is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 05:25 PM
  #32  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Wheels are always worth it. Trust me on this.
patentcad is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 05:39 PM
  #33  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,435

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean View Post
Just an FYI, not really sure what a semi pro bike racer is.
I've actually heard that term thrown around in bike racing, music, etc. to describe someone who is getting paid to do it but not enough to support themselves off of it. Whether it's a proper term or not, I have no idea.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 06:27 PM
  #34  
achoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sammysalsa8 View Post
I am not riding my baby out in the rain! lol
It not like it's the Wicked Witch of the West - it ain't gonna melt.
achoo is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 06:39 PM
  #35  
BigSean
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
I've actually heard that term thrown around in bike racing, music, etc. to describe someone who is getting paid to do it but not enough to support themselves off of it. Whether it's a proper term or not, I have no idea.
Yeah Ive heard it in other sports. Ive always believed it was just a status thing.
BigSean is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 07:43 PM
  #36  
Tunnelrat81
Senior Member
 
Tunnelrat81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sammysalsa8 View Post
1. Isn't a little experience still experience? I'm just not "wise" with the whole concept. I mean I have the same amount of mileage as someone who has ridden an average of 40 miles a week for 2 years. Wouldn't that qualify as a significant amount of experience?

2. Well I was just telling you what he told me. Pardon for my ignorance. I just checked their website and it seems as if they highest category they have is cat-3. I apologize for being wrong.

.. I wish I could ride right now, but currently I'm at work and I won't be able to ride my baby 'til tomorrow
This is true, but I can promise that 95% of the people that you'll be competing against, even in our lowly cat 5 races, rides far more than 40 mi. a week, and more likely at least as much as you do. So the comparison is completely meaningless. There will of course be people showing up at cat 5 races who "train" these short distances and don't really belong there, but this only guarantees that you'll be finishing maybe 48th place out of 50. Either you'll find that you're a super natural at cycling and racing well and placing is easy...or you'll get a huge eye opening, humbling experience through your first few races that will show you just how far you are from being anywhere near "semi-pro." =) Good luck, and I agree that if you have money to burn, sure by new wheels, but if not, you've got a long way to go before your current equipment will be what dictates your placement in group rides or races.

-Jeremy
Tunnelrat81 is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 09:18 PM
  #37  
kudude
slow up hills
 
kudude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,931

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sammysalsa8 View Post
1. Isn't a little experience still experience? I'm just not "wise" with the whole concept. I mean I have the same amount of mileage as someone who has ridden an average of 40 miles a week for 2 years. Wouldn't that qualify as a significant amount of experience?

2. Well I was just telling you what he told me. Pardon for my ignorance. I just checked their website and it seems as if they highest category they have is cat-3. I apologize for being wrong.

.. I wish I could ride right now, but currently I'm at work and I won't be able to ride my baby 'til tomorrow
1. No. Compared to the guy who rides a hybrid around for exercise it does, but if you're talking about racing, it's a different ballgame. Seriously. Almost no one shows up to a bike race until after they've been on fast group rides and have an idea of what they're jumping into. you don't. No offense, but the racing subforum is FILLED with guys like your friend and there are thousands more. It really is the difference between the guy who jogs 3 miles in the morning, and the one who competes (and I don't mean that in the sense of PR) 10k's. WORLD of difference.

Too bad the season is over, or you could get your feet wet and have some motivation for training this fall/winter. (I'm moving to Seattle in Jan, hoping to figure out a way to ride with a new schedule).

2. It's teh internetz. never apologize. or use punctuation or well sentance structure
kudude is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 09:28 PM
  #38  
Georgebowen
Senior Member
 
Georgebowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32h open pro rims with Ultegra or equivilent hubs....... Makes you faster...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ssfceu32..jpg (28.6 KB, 9 views)
Georgebowen is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 09:43 PM
  #39  
kudude
slow up hills
 
kudude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,931

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and they're cheap
https://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...od&productId=4
kudude is offline  
Old 09-26-10, 09:48 PM
  #40  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,745

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 464 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting new stuff. And it can make a difference. Just have realistic expectations about how much difference it will make. As a beginner, the big gains will come from fitness and experience.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 09-27-10, 03:23 AM
  #41  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
I've actually heard that term thrown around in bike racing, music, etc. to describe someone who is getting paid to do it but not enough to support themselves off of it.
That would cover 90% of domestic US 'pro' bike racers.
patentcad is offline  
Old 09-27-10, 06:47 AM
  #42  
NtenseGSRracer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 81

Bikes: 09' Orbea Orca, 06' Specialized Tarmac Comp, 01' Rocky Mountain Element Race, 99' Gary Fisher Mt. Tam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My .02 cents. Buy whatever you want...Besides, the world ends in 2012.
NtenseGSRracer is offline  
Old 09-27-10, 07:24 AM
  #43  
robncircus
Gunner.
 
robncircus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 1,735

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Well to answer your question originally:

I have PSIMET wheels that I train on. They're awesome and reliable. Well worth any wait he may have. I

I also have Williams wheels I race on. They too are great. And with Williams you'll have them by the end of the week.

Now stop making excuses and ride your bike in the rain. Just be sure to wipe it down with a towel real quick when you get home. And good luck racing. I think you'll be humbled.
robncircus is offline  
Old 09-27-10, 09:37 AM
  #44  
sammysalsa8
Hills are my Kryptonite.
Thread Starter
 
sammysalsa8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kent, WA (Seattle)
Posts: 25

Bikes: 2010 Dawes Lightning 2300, 2010 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81 View Post
This is true, but I can promise that 95% of the people that you'll be competing against, even in our lowly cat 5 races, rides far more than 40 mi. a week, and more likely at least as much as you do. So the comparison is completely meaningless. There will of course be people showing up at cat 5 races who "train" these short distances and don't really belong there, but this only guarantees that you'll be finishing maybe 48th place out of 50. Either you'll find that you're a super natural at cycling and racing well and placing is easy...or you'll get a huge eye opening, humbling experience through your first few races that will show you just how far you are from being anywhere near "semi-pro." =) Good luck, and I agree that if you have money to burn, sure by new wheels, but if not, you've got a long way to go before your current equipment will be what dictates your placement in group rides or races.

-Jeremy
Oh I have a feeling I'm gonna get dropped on my first couple races. Probably even more than a couple times. I'll probably just blame it on a flat tire.

Originally Posted by NtenseGSRracer View Post
My .02 cents. Buy whatever you want...Besides, the world ends in 2012.
b1tC#, you're the reason why I told them "semi-pro"!

Originally Posted by kudude View Post
1. No. Compared to the guy who rides a hybrid around for exercise it does, but if you're talking about racing, it's a different ballgame. Seriously. Almost no one shows up to a bike race until after they've been on fast group rides and have an idea of what they're jumping into. you don't. No offense, but the racing subforum is FILLED with guys like your friend and there are thousands more. It really is the difference between the guy who jogs 3 miles in the morning, and the one who competes (and I don't mean that in the sense of PR) 10k's. WORLD of difference.

Too bad the season is over, or you could get your feet wet and have some motivation for training this fall/winter. (I'm moving to Seattle in Jan, hoping to figure out a way to ride with a new schedule).

2. It's teh internetz. never apologize. or use punctuation or well sentance structure
1. Well I do ride with my cat-5 friend, but that's probably not saying much. Well, all in all, I just have to ride and train more.

2. Lol

Seattle huh? Coming in for the winter! Cyclocross time!

Last edited by sammysalsa8; 09-27-10 at 09:38 AM. Reason: bad word
sammysalsa8 is offline  
Old 09-27-10, 12:02 PM
  #45  
jr59
Senior Member
 
jr59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the 904, Jax fl
Posts: 2,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
That would cover 90% of domestic US 'pro' bike racers.
I read this before,

When most say pro baseball, they think of MLB, not the minor leagues.
When most say pro basketball, they think of NBA, not USBL, NBDL or any others.

When most on here say pro here on BF, they think of the international pro teams.



UK; that is a very good term for the US domestic "pro" racers.
jr59 is offline  
Old 09-27-10, 12:03 PM
  #46  
jr59
Senior Member
 
jr59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the 904, Jax fl
Posts: 2,310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
I've actually heard that term thrown around in bike racing, music, etc. to describe someone who is getting paid to do it but not enough to support themselves off of it. Whether it's a proper term or not, I have no idea.
This is a very good idea!
jr59 is offline  
Old 09-27-10, 06:27 PM
  #47  
RoboIsGod
Senior Member
 
RoboIsGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 775

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Okay, how about the Soul S 2.0's (1330g at $400) vs. the Williams System 19's (1440 at $500).

Go!
RoboIsGod is offline  
Old 09-27-10, 07:26 PM
  #48  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,435

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
That would cover 90% of domestic US 'pro' bike racers.
I actually thought that as I posted it, but didn't want to say anything.


Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
This is a very good idea!
Eh, it's just resume padding. When I was in college, we trumpet players used to use that term to market ourselves to potential private students. Most of us had maybe one running engagement plus Christmas and Easter gigs.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is offline  
Old 09-27-10, 09:44 PM
  #49  
Unagidon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 1,331

Bikes: 19 Look 765 Gravel RS, 16 Cervelo C3, 15 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Surly Crosscheck, 05 Serotta Fierte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do Soul's compare to other wheels of similar price? ROLs? Neuvations? Easton EA90's on sale?
Unagidon is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ShadowGray
Road Cycling
99
07-04-16 02:16 PM
nemeseri
Road Cycling
23
04-23-14 06:51 AM
afd88
Road Cycling
26
07-24-12 02:20 PM
Bioluminescence
Road Cycling
23
09-15-11 01:17 PM
jamboree
Road Cycling
27
01-04-10 09:10 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.