Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tried the Zipp 404 Carbon Clinchers today

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tried the Zipp 404 Carbon Clinchers today

Old 06-18-11, 05:53 PM
  #1  
dem219
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried the Zipp 404 Carbon Clinchers today

The shop near me had some reps from Zipp today letting people try their wheels. They had a couple Specialized S-work Tarmacs set up you could try, but I rode by on my bike and they offered to swap a pair on for me to take for a ride.

It was a really nice opportunity and the reps were really helpful and nice, so I feel bad saying I was a bit underwhelmed. They were definitely nice wheels, especially compared to my 5 year old Easton Vista SLs. They rolled smoother, the cornering and handling was tighter, and overall everything felt a little bit more effortless. But it really wasn't a huge difference, the overall effect was only marginal. And, I suspect half the difference was psychological; me just wanting them to feel better.

Granted I only got to ride once around the park, about 5 miles...its possible I would notice more of a difference with a longer more strenuous ride. But frankly I expected to be much more wowed by $2700 wheels. The good thing is my upgrade lust is now diminished for awhile.
dem219 is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 06:50 PM
  #2  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,401

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No Zipps for you.
__________________
http://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 06:56 PM
  #3  
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 8,753
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
It's probably at most about a 20 watt difference which is very difficult to 'feel'. You would have been going a little faster but you won't be able to feel it. If you're not racing the only value is the bling factor for when you roll into the coffee shop.
gregf83 is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 07:02 PM
  #4  
Runner 1
Cookies!
 
Runner 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 629

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I ever buy Zipps, 90% of the reason will be looks.

If I'm ever given Zipps though, then I'll be good enough to not care about the looks anyway.
Runner 1 is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 09:02 PM
  #5  
rat fink
Iconoclast
 
rat fink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,183

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I ever buy Zipps, 90% of the reason wont be looks. I don't think they look all that nice. ...But, I would buy them if they felt better. I love the ride of a good deep section CF wheel.
rat fink is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 09:10 PM
  #6  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 30,981

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Runner 1 View Post
If I ever buy Zipps, 90% of the reason will be looks.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"
10 Wheels is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 09:15 PM
  #7  
valygrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 8,546
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ lol
valygrl is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 09:17 PM
  #8  
2ndGen
CAADdict
 
2ndGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BF Heaven
Posts: 6,756

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to get deep plastic wheels.
It's part of the depravity of road cycling.
I am seriously considering the purchase of a $5,000. bicycle.
That's; Five Thousand Dollars. 5. Thousand. 5. Cinco.
And then, I want to add an $800. crankset and a set of $2,500. wheels.

2ndGen is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 09:22 PM
  #9  
Runner 1
Cookies!
 
Runner 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 629

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
I have to get deep plastic wheels.
Aero engineering is sexy.
Runner 1 is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 09:30 PM
  #10  
jsutkeepspining
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
Posts: 4,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's because you tried the clincher! you should have tried the tubular set.
jsutkeepspining is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 09:31 PM
  #11  
2ndGen
CAADdict
 
2ndGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BF Heaven
Posts: 6,756

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner 1 View Post
Aero engineering is sexy.
Affirmative.
2ndGen is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 09:36 PM
  #12  
Chris R.
Team ABC Cycles
 
Chris R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal Qc.
Posts: 600

Bikes: 2010 Colnago CX-1 and '12 S-Works Venge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the handling was better, they rolled smoother and it was easier but you did not notice much of a difference....ok.:innocent
Chris R. is offline  
Old 06-18-11, 10:43 PM
  #13  
ilovecycling
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining View Post
it's because you tried the clincher! you should have tried the tubular set.
this
ilovecycling is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 12:01 AM
  #14  
s4one
Senior Member
 
s4one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ride the firecrest or? I just received my firecrest and will be taking them out for a spin soon.
s4one is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 12:09 AM
  #15  
M_FactorX19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast TN
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining View Post
it's because you tried the clincher! you should have tried the tubular set.
yep!

also how much of your ride was 25mph+? thats when aero wheels shine.
M_FactorX19 is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 03:28 AM
  #16  
blueride2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
I have to get deep plastic wheels.
It's part of the depravity of road cycling.
I am seriously considering the purchase of a $5,000. bicycle.
That's; Five Thousand Dollars. 5. Thousand. 5. Cinco.
And then, I want to add an $800. crankset and a set of $2,500. wheels.

Carbon wheels are worth every penny of their hefty price tag, but noboby pays full retail price for anything these days. Look at ebay for used sets, or better yet, Craigslist for every better deals.

A good set of carbon wheels will transform your bike. They're the single most important item if you want to go fast, and who doesn't?
blueride2 is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 03:33 AM
  #17  
AdelaaR
Senior Member
 
AdelaaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vlaamse Ardennen, Belgium
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dem219 View Post
The shop near me had some reps from Zipp today letting people try their wheels. They had a couple Specialized S-work Tarmacs set up you could try, but I rode by on my bike and they offered to swap a pair on for me to take for a ride.

It was a really nice opportunity and the reps were really helpful and nice, so I feel bad saying I was a bit underwhelmed. They were definitely nice wheels, especially compared to my 5 year old Easton Vista SLs. They rolled smoother, the cornering and handling was tighter, and overall everything felt a little bit more effortless. But it really wasn't a huge difference, the overall effect was only marginal. And, I suspect half the difference was psychological; me just wanting them to feel better.

Granted I only got to ride once around the park, about 5 miles...its possible I would notice more of a difference with a longer more strenuous ride. But frankly I expected to be much more wowed by $2700 wheels. The good thing is my upgrade lust is now diminished for awhile.
You failed to mention the only important factor ... your speed.
If you are slow ... those zipps will not do anything.
If you are fast ... let's say above 25mph at least ... those zipps might make you 1% faster depending on other factors.

Whatever the case ... you will not feel anything.
That just the placebo effect messin' with you.
AdelaaR is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 03:37 AM
  #18  
AdelaaR
Senior Member
 
AdelaaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vlaamse Ardennen, Belgium
Posts: 3,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blueride2 View Post
A good set of carbon wheels will transform your bike. They're the single most important item if you want to go fast, and who doesn't?
Thats, sir, is total bullshiet.
If you don't know what you're talking about it is best to not speak.
The wheels are only a very small factor in going fast.
AdelaaR is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 03:55 AM
  #19  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,401

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR View Post
Thats, sir, is total bullshiet.
If you don't know what you're talking about it is best to not speak.
The wheels are only a very small factor in going fast.
They help Hans.
__________________
http://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 04:55 AM
  #20  
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.
 
rbart4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Posts: 4,436

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blueride2 View Post
Carbon wheels are worth every penny of their hefty price tag, but noboby pays full retail price for anything these days. Look at ebay for used sets, or better yet, Craigslist for every better deals.

A good set of carbon wheels will transform your bike. They're the single most important item if you want to go fast, and who doesn't?
Hahaha....That is a good one...

Wheels will help, but it's the engine that makes the biggest difference....

Someone has been buying into the marketing hype
rbart4506 is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 05:03 AM
  #21  
kenji666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On yer left
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are new wheels a NEED or a WANT?
kenji666 is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 05:05 AM
  #22  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,401

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rbart4506 View Post
buy into the marketing hype
If it weren't for this there would be no economy at all.

Aero wheels do remain the single most effective upgrade you can make to a racing bike. Which is why just about every pro and amateur racer uses them. Even still, they do only make a slight difference. But every little bit helps. Anyone who has ridden competitively or raced can tell you that sometimes the difference between hanging on and getting shelled is that last 1%.
__________________
http://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 06:08 AM
  #23  
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 17,413

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you don't like them or can't tell how they would help you, count yourself lucky and just enjoy the money you saved...
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 08:46 AM
  #24  
dem219
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
If you don't like them or can't tell how they would help you, count yourself lucky and just enjoy the money you saved...
Yep, that is exactly what I will do. I did like them, just not nearly enough to justify the cost. For those that ask, I was riding anywhere btw 18 - 27 mph. I did notice more of a difference at the higher speed, just less than I expected.
dem219 is offline  
Old 06-19-11, 08:51 AM
  #25  
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic
 
DrPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 17,413

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dem219 View Post
Yep, that is exactly what I will do. I did like them, just not nearly enough to justify the cost. For those that ask, I was riding anywhere btw 18 - 27 mph. I did notice more of a difference at the higher speed, just less than I expected.
Realistic expectations are key. I think too many people think "wow, these are expensive. I won't even have to pedal" and end up disappointed. There's no limit to what you can spend on bike gear, and the fact remains that once you reach a certain point the price goes up exponentially while performance gains are small. If you're expecting something super amazing from something like a pair of wheels you're going to be disappointed.

I've got a pair of 808 carbon clinchers on the way and will most likely only use them on race days. After all, if there's no clock to race against there's no spectacular benefit from using them day to day.
__________________
"Unless he was racing there was no way he could match my speed."
DrPete is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.