Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on this used bike??

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on this used bike??

Old 08-02-11, 01:24 PM
  #1  
JamisJeff
Love me a nice Jamis...
Thread Starter
 
JamisJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Meeeeechigan
Posts: 88

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura Race, 2011 Jamis Xenith Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts on this used bike??

I currently have a 2009 Jamis Ventura Race that I looooove to ride, came across this bike:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/2492616061.html

And am wondering if anyone knows anything about the model year 2007 it is?
What about buying used carbon framed bikes?? Any alarms there?

The guy that rode it owns two bike shops and does his own service work, the bike is in Florida and I live in Michigan but he says it's in showroom new condition with 2000 miles on it. Any thoughts would be helpful...thanks in advance
JamisJeff is offline  
Old 08-02-11, 01:36 PM
  #2  
Kupkake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
imo pretty high in price for what your getting component/miles wise.
Also, without being able to ride it, see if it fits*, before putting your money down, its hard to say.

I got my current ride of C.list. But I rode it first before purchasing to make sure it fit. If the owner does own 2 shops, i would like to think that fit would be a slight concern to him also.
Kupkake is offline  
Old 08-02-11, 01:55 PM
  #3  
Coinpurse
Dude, Man...
 
Coinpurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 41

Bikes: Specailized Roubaix, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you LOVE the bike you have, why take a chance? Keep shopping for one closer.
Coinpurse is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 05:44 AM
  #4  
JamisJeff
Love me a nice Jamis...
Thread Starter
 
JamisJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Meeeeechigan
Posts: 88

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura Race, 2011 Jamis Xenith Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I should clear some things up, my current Jamis is a 58 and so is this one...I compared the geometry for both bikes (as they are both 58's) and it is VERY close...so I'm not too worried about fit.
Reason for this bike is it's lighter, better wheels, carbon frame...I could do team tri's or shorter race rides on this bike and then use my current bike to train on; I do agree the $1800.00 is a bit steep for a bike that is pushing 5 model years old, and with 2000 miles on....I had them down to $1650.00 then offered them $1250.00 (had to try it) but they refused. At this point I may just take the money and upgrade my wheelset and cranks on the current bike and just be content with what I have.
JamisJeff is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 06:20 AM
  #5  
MNX1024
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would not pay more than $1100 for that bike. Heck I payed $1100 for my 2010 Xenith Comp brand new.
MNX1024 is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 06:22 AM
  #6  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 24,856

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8891 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 84 Posts
I think that it's steep, too.

I don't know if the Jamis online catalogs will let you go back to that model, but it's worth checking out. At any given time, there are (were?) only two frames used in the Xenith series, both from the same mold, but with different lay-up/carbon types. I think that the Pro was the lesser of the two frames (so it was still their entry-level carbon frame offering), but with the highest-spec accessories available for that frame. With that in mind, I feel like you're paying an awful lot for accessories hanging off of a frame that is probably not as good as their current entry-level offering - at this point, it might be better to look for a deal on a current Comp (I have a 2010) and just switch out the wheels (I think that the new 105 (5700) is pretty good).
WhyFi is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 06:55 AM
  #7  
JamisJeff
Love me a nice Jamis...
Thread Starter
 
JamisJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Meeeeechigan
Posts: 88

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura Race, 2011 Jamis Xenith Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I think that it's steep, too.

I don't know if the Jamis online catalogs will let you go back to that model, but it's worth checking out. At any given time, there are (were?) only two frames used in the Xenith series, both from the same mold, but with different lay-up/carbon types. I think that the Pro was the lesser of the two frames (so it was still their entry-level carbon frame offering), but with the highest-spec accessories available for that frame. With that in mind, I feel like you're paying an awful lot for accessories hanging off of a frame that is probably not as good as their current entry-level offering - at this point, it might be better to look for a deal on a current Comp (I have a 2010) and just switch out the wheels (I think that the new 105 (5700) is pretty good).
I think you're right....I'm not too confident in the price of that older bike, and if they can't come down significantly in price then I'm better off with my current ride and just upgrade the wheels and cranks to something lighter. I can't really justify getting a new bike when mine is really only a year old....would love to find a comp, but probably too far out of my price range.
JamisJeff is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 07:15 AM
  #8  
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado
 
ColinL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wichita
Posts: 4,903

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't familiar with your bike-- googled. If you haven't changed anything I would leave the Shimano 105 cranks alone for now and you will see a huge upgrade from good wheels. Easton EA70, Mavic Ksyrium Elite, etc. You can get deals on them new and used if you look around.
ColinL is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 07:21 AM
  #9  
JamisJeff
Love me a nice Jamis...
Thread Starter
 
JamisJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Meeeeechigan
Posts: 88

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura Race, 2011 Jamis Xenith Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
Wasn't familiar with your bike-- googled. If you haven't changed anything I would leave the Shimano 105 cranks alone for now and you will see a huge upgrade from good wheels. Easton EA70, Mavic Ksyrium Elite, etc. You can get deals on them new and used if you look around.
I was going to upgrade the cranks to FSA carbon, 170MM which is what my bike has on it now but in alum.....I found a set of the Mavic Elite wheels locally for $400.00 and they are basically brand new.
So I guess I'll start with the wheels and see how that does, I know they will make a difference in the ride for sure and maybe help in the speed dept. I emailed the seller on the 2007 Jamis and told them I wasn't interested in the bike at that price, unless they come down significantly then I'm not going forward with it.
JamisJeff is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 07:24 AM
  #10  
JamisJeff
Love me a nice Jamis...
Thread Starter
 
JamisJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Meeeeechigan
Posts: 88

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura Race, 2011 Jamis Xenith Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man....find me a deal like that!! $1100.00 for a comp...wow.
JamisJeff is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 07:25 AM
  #11  
MNX1024
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, if you can handle a 56, try this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Jamis-Xenit...item2566650591
MNX1024 is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 07:27 AM
  #12  
dayday82
Senior Member
 
dayday82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 703

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0. 2006 Iron Horse Azure Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a bit much. I'd rather do a custom build with a Pedalforce frame.
dayday82 is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 07:43 AM
  #13  
JamisJeff
Love me a nice Jamis...
Thread Starter
 
JamisJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Meeeeechigan
Posts: 88

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura Race, 2011 Jamis Xenith Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
Hey, if you can handle a 56, try this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Jamis-Xenit...item2566650591
Yeah, I saw this bike too...but 56 is too small a frame for me, I'm about 6-2 tall and it's too much of a reach, I was fitted for 58 and that's what I really need to stick too.
If that bike was a 58 then I'd be all over it at that price.
JamisJeff is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 07:59 AM
  #14  
MNX1024
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JamisJeff View Post
Yeah, I saw this bike too...but 56 is too small a frame for me, I'm about 6-2 tall and it's too much of a reach, I was fitted for 58 and that's what I really need to stick too.
If that bike was a 58 then I'd be all over it at that price.
Not to say you have to get that 56cm, but can't you just get a 135mm stem and a 25mm setback post and that would solve your fit issue?
MNX1024 is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 08:07 AM
  #15  
JamisJeff
Love me a nice Jamis...
Thread Starter
 
JamisJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Meeeeechigan
Posts: 88

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura Race, 2011 Jamis Xenith Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
Not to say you have to get that 56cm, but can't you just get a 135mm stem and a 25mm setback post and that would solve your fit issue?

Possibly, but I have never been fit on a 56 bike, and I don't want to take the chance in buying this bike and not liking how I sit on it....I'm playing it safe and going with what I know on riding a 58. I think on a 56 I'd be too hunched over....just not willing to take that risk on a bike I wasn't fitted on.
JamisJeff is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 08:15 AM
  #16  
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado
 
ColinL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wichita
Posts: 4,903

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh, no it wouldn't. The bottom bracket is still in the same place. Stem is used to tune arm length and rider flexibility, not torso length. Torso length is top tube.

So IMHO, neither of these solve the issue of a too-small frame. At 6'2" most likely JamisJeff is already riding the smaller of 2 frame sizes that might fit him. (58 & 60-61)
ColinL is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 09:55 AM
  #17  
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22,456

Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
Uh, no it wouldn't. The bottom bracket is still in the same place. Stem is used to tune arm length and rider flexibility, not torso length. Torso length is top tube.

So IMHO, neither of these solve the issue of a too-small frame. At 6'2" most likely JamisJeff is already riding the smaller of 2 frame sizes that might fit him. (58 & 60-61)
Half the pros in the grand tours would disagree with you. Not that the OP should do this, but a longer stem and a setback post (and more spacers if you want the bars at the same height) can let you size down to a point.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 10:00 AM
  #18  
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado
 
ColinL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wichita
Posts: 4,903

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pros ride with really crazy, aggressive ergonomics. I am not a pro, and I assume the OP isn't either.
ColinL is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 10:07 AM
  #19  
joe_5700
CAT4
 
joe_5700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 1,681

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JamisJeff View Post
I guess I should clear some things up, my current Jamis is a 58 and so is this one...I compared the geometry for both bikes (as they are both 58's) and it is VERY close...so I'm not too worried about fit.
Reason for this bike is it's lighter, better wheels, carbon frame...I could do team tri's or shorter race rides on this bike and then use my current bike to train on; I do agree the $1800.00 is a bit steep for a bike that is pushing 5 model years old, and with 2000 miles on....I had them down to $1650.00 then offered them $1250.00 (had to try it) but they refused. At this point I may just take the money and upgrade my wheelset and cranks on the current bike and just be content with what I have.
Your Ventura Race is plenty good for Duathlons/Tris or even at least Cat 4/5 racing. My other bikes are only seconds better in 5 mile tests that I have conducted over my Jamis. It's the engine Jeff...
joe_5700 is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 11:24 AM
  #20  
JamisJeff
Love me a nice Jamis...
Thread Starter
 
JamisJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Meeeeechigan
Posts: 88

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura Race, 2011 Jamis Xenith Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_5700 View Post
Your Ventura Race is plenty good for Duathlons/Tris or even at least Cat 4/5 racing. My other bikes are only seconds better in 5 mile tests that I have conducted over my Jamis. It's the engine Jeff...

My thoughts exactly joe...my bike with a few mods will be all I need for a few years, I love my bike and it's perfect for the distances I ride. Most of my riding is done as fitness / rec, but I want to get into more team tri's eventually....thanks everyone for your input, I think I know which way to head on this. In a few years when / if I outgrow this bike I'll move on to a nicer one.
JamisJeff is offline  
Old 08-03-11, 09:33 PM
  #21  
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 22,456

Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
The pros ride with really crazy, aggressive ergonomics. I am not a pro, and I assume the OP isn't either.
Not as crazy as you might think. The main difference (which is the reason pros size down) is that they have their handlebars much lower. Other than that, they might have their saddles a bit further forward, but they otherwise fit in similar ways. Just because the OP isn't a pro doesn't mean he wouldn't like a fit similar to theirs (I do. You can be flexible but still slow ). But as I said before, the OP probably doesn't want this since he already stated that his 58 is comfortable.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline  
Old 08-04-11, 05:32 AM
  #22  
JamisJeff
Love me a nice Jamis...
Thread Starter
 
JamisJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Meeeeechigan
Posts: 88

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura Race, 2011 Jamis Xenith Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
Not as crazy as you might think. The main difference (which is the reason pros size down) is that they have their handlebars much lower. Other than that, they might have their saddles a bit further forward, but they otherwise fit in similar ways. Just because the OP isn't a pro doesn't mean he wouldn't like a fit similar to theirs (I do. You can be flexible but still slow ). But as I said before, the OP probably doesn't want this since he already stated that his 58 is comfortable.
Yup, my 58 is right where I like it for now...I'm not a super agressive rider in terms that I get low on the bars, I do push myself...but I prefer a more upright position instead of getting over the bars on a 56.
JamisJeff is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
misha misha
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
11
03-07-09 07:57 PM
genericbikedude
Bicycle Mechanics
10
05-13-05 05:34 PM
Timo
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
6
08-09-03 11:33 AM
BikeTyke
Mountain Biking
4
02-21-03 01:38 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.