Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ever "wig out" After A Ride?

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ever "wig out" After A Ride?

Old 08-22-11, 09:27 AM
  #1  
Vicelord
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Downtown Phoenix
Posts: 1,824

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ever "wig out" After A Ride?

Last night, I did a really long ride (for me) of 50mi... actually my longest ever. Started at 5:30 it was still 108 degrees and it was 101 at the finish. Averaged 18.3 for the ride, so I was cruising (for me.)

I was exhausted to say the least, but when I got in the shower, my body still was going full speed, jittering, heart still extremely high, and overall just felt whacked out of my mind. After a while, I started getting anxious over the fact that my body wouldn't relax, which turned into a re-incarnation of panic attacks I used to have back in the day.

Overall, it wasn't a fun experience being up until 3:30 laying in bed listening to my heart pound away as if I were still on the bike. Crazy. This has happened a few times, though never to this extent. I can usually fall asleep anyhow. I'm starting to think it may be the caffeine goo that I sometimes eat during a ride, but I haven't experienced it enough times to run a control experiment.

Anyone else have trouble settling down after a good ride? Any tricks to settle? I tried drinking a couple of hot Sleepytime teas, with little result.

Even now, I'm still a bit amped up, though partially due to my 3.5 hours of sleep.

Last edited by Vicelord; 08-22-11 at 09:34 AM.
Vicelord is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 09:30 AM
  #2  
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)
 
Juan Foote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 3,439

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sounds like over-exhaustion to me. You already know to check into the caffiene possibility. If this continues you might want to see your GP.
Juan Foote is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 09:39 AM
  #3  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,055

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Despite the "experts" here, I think a doctor visit might be a good idea.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 09:46 AM
  #4  
eippo1 
I like beans
 
eippo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Meffa, MA
Posts: 3,353

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, see a doctor. Panic attacks aren't good. There's also a chance episodes like this could be tachycardia. My wife has it and generally has to be very careful with it.
__________________
You got it buddy: the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

2009 Dean El Diente Superlite
2011 Bianchi Zurigo CX
2005 Specialized Sworks E5 "Calamity"
2007 Fuji Thrill LT1.0
199? Tommasini ? (pending build)
2001 Della Santa
eippo1 is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 09:52 AM
  #5  
Commodus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 4,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Caffeine goo", whatever that is, sounds like a likely cause.

I'd stick with real food on non-competitive, short rides. Not to denigrate your achievement or anything, it's just that some of those supplements are pretty serious stuff and intended for extreme exertions.

Maybe grab a Coke if you want a bit of a pick-up.

First time it's happened?
Commodus is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 09:53 AM
  #6  
Vicelord
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Downtown Phoenix
Posts: 1,824

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
Yes, see a doctor. Panic attacks aren't good. There's also a chance episodes like this could be tachycardia. My wife has it and generally has to be very careful with it.
I was diagnosed with panic disorder a number of years ago.

Explain to me, how are panic attacks not good? They aren't real, it's just your body and mind fighting with each other... fight or flight.

Panic attacks are nothing to worry about, they are just scary.
Vicelord is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 09:55 AM
  #7  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,071
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7974 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 121 Posts
You should see a doctor. Not about the panic attack - that's probably a normal reaction - but to your heart rate staying so elevated when you should be falling asleep from exhaustion from your longest ride yet.

If I was going to wig out, it would be like this:

Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 09:55 AM
  #8  
Vicelord
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Downtown Phoenix
Posts: 1,824

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
"Caffeine goo", whatever that is, sounds like a likely cause.

I'd stick with real food on non-competitive, short rides. Not to denigrate your achievement or anything, it's just that some of those supplements are pretty serious stuff and intended for extreme exertions.

Maybe grab a Coke if you want a bit of a pick-up.

First time it's happened?
second or third time. I can't tell for sure, but I feel like every time has been after I had caffeine. I also had coffee yesterday morning, and my anxiety is always up on days I've had coffee.

Basically, I almost can say without a doubt that it's due to the caffeine, but the panic part of me wants to say no there is something seriously wrong with you!!! (been telling myself that for 5 years and nothing has happened yet, lol.)

FWIW, the caffeine goo was a Zipvit. 160mg of caffeine in the gel.
Vicelord is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:02 AM
  #9  
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)
 
Juan Foote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 3,439

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Different supplements treat people in different ways. Those five hour energy things make me wig like I did a fat line of crank, and then I crash a couple of hours later and feel like total crap.
Juan Foote is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:04 AM
  #10  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,055

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
So skip the caffeine ... you don't need it anyway.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:06 AM
  #11  
eippo1 
I like beans
 
eippo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Meffa, MA
Posts: 3,353

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord View Post
second or third time. I can't tell for sure, but I feel like every time has been after I had caffeine. I also had coffee yesterday morning, and my anxiety is always up on days I've had coffee.

Basically, I almost can say without a doubt that it's due to the caffeine, but the panic part of me wants to say no there is something seriously wrong with you!!! (been telling myself that for 5 years and nothing has happened yet, lol.)

FWIW, the caffeine goo was a Zipvit. 160mg of caffeine in the gel.
I meant mentally with the panic attacks, not medically. Also if caffeine affects you like this, then that's another reason to see a doc. My wife (with the tachycardia) can't drink caffeine because it spikes her heart rate and it stays high for a long time. Docs have told her that that is not a good thing.
__________________
You got it buddy: the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

2009 Dean El Diente Superlite
2011 Bianchi Zurigo CX
2005 Specialized Sworks E5 "Calamity"
2007 Fuji Thrill LT1.0
199? Tommasini ? (pending build)
2001 Della Santa
eippo1 is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:06 AM
  #12  
Vicelord
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Downtown Phoenix
Posts: 1,824

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Different supplements treat people in different ways. Those five hour energy things make me wig like I did a fat line of crank, and then I crash a couple of hours later and feel like total crap.
Well 12 hours later I still haven't crashed.
Vicelord is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:08 AM
  #13  
Commodus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 4,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord View Post
...FWIW, the caffeine goo was a Zipvit. 160mg of caffeine in the gel.
Well that's a lot! That would wig me out too.
Commodus is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:38 AM
  #14  
flaco
Senior Member
 
flaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being 'too tired to sleep' is a pretty common problem after a big effort, even without caffeine. Also, metabolism tends to stay high for quite a while afterward. That's normal. I would just quit the caffeine and see how it goes next time.
flaco is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:40 AM
  #15  
spock
Peripheral Visionary
 
spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Towards the night, a human body tends to slow down in metabolism and blood flow compared to early hours. It would have felt better if you did this in the morning. You have gone out in sizzling heat and rode for about 3 hours I am guessing, and you say you have never done this before. Heat at night can be sometimes be worse than during the day. It's something your body has never experienced and it could be that it got shocked a little. Also, did you hydrate enough? It simply could be a high level of function in the body as a result and not enough fluids. Brain tends to cross wires in that situation and coffee doesn't help.
spock is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:43 AM
  #16  
Vicelord
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Downtown Phoenix
Posts: 1,824

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spock View Post
Towards the night, a human body tends to slow down in metabolism and blood flow compared to early hours. It would have felt better if you did this in the morning. You have gone out in sizzling heat and rode for about 3 hours I am guessing, and you say you have never done this before. Heat at night can be sometimes be worse than during the day. It's something your body has never experienced and it could be that it got shocked a little. Also, did you hydrate enough? It simply could be a high level of function in the body as a result and not enough fluids. Brain tends to cross wires in that situation and coffee doesn't help.
This is my theory. I feel that I hydrated enough. I went through about 5-6 bottles of water, three of them with Nuun electrolyte tabs.

I'll just get through today (without coffee) and see what I feel like when I wake up tomorrow. My next experiment will be to do a longer ride on a day when I have had zero caffeine.
Vicelord is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:47 AM
  #17  
RT
The Weird Beard
 
RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: COS
Posts: 8,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I had to choose between cycling and coffee, I would have to sell my bikes
RT is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:50 AM
  #18  
spock
Peripheral Visionary
 
spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coffee is great in the morn...Later in the day, unless you wanna stay up, very questionable...
spock is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:52 AM
  #19  
Vicelord
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Downtown Phoenix
Posts: 1,824

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RTDub View Post
If I had to choose between cycling and coffee, I would have to sell my bikes
seriously.... this is quite the conundrum.

Also, if panic attacks and inability to sleep became the norm after bike rides, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to deal with that either. I wonder what value a BMC carries on the used market nowadays...
Vicelord is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 10:59 AM
  #20  
jduvall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Basra al Basrah Iraq
Posts: 86

Bikes: Dawes SST Al (2011) Trek 1000 (2003?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lay off the caffeine, take a nice warm shower. The fact that you are still 'wigging out' so long later it slightly concerning but I suspect a doc would just tell you to lay off the caffeine as well. If the problem continues to come up go get checked, no shame in that. Grats on the ride though, but now its time to unwind and relax, try some yoga or maybe read a relaxing book? Those always help me.
jduvall is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 11:08 AM
  #21  
Menel
Senior Member
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 1,151

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno about 'wig out'... but it takes my body quite a while to calm down after some of my runs in this GA heat/humidity. After some of my afternoon 4-5pmish, 6milers, I stop, heart continues to race awhile, and the pulse in my arms are visual and very distinct. Unnerving the first couple of times.
Menel is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 11:11 AM
  #22  
spock
Peripheral Visionary
 
spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jduvall View Post
try some yoga .
Yes... any kind of deep breathing exercise could be very useful in calming you down.
spock is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 11:16 AM
  #23  
Vicelord
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Downtown Phoenix
Posts: 1,824

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
I dunno about 'wig out'... but it takes my body quite a while to calm down after some of my runs in this GA heat/humidity. After some of my afternoon 4-5pmish, 6milers, I stop, heart continues to race awhile, and the pulse in my arms are visual and very distinct. Unnerving the first couple of times.
well times that by about 8, lol.

I was resting my mug of tea on my chest last night and it looked like it was bouncing. The nice thing is during my panic attack I convinced myself I was in atrial fibrulation, but took my pulse and it was nice and steady, rhythmic, just super fast! That actually slowed it down, then I did some breathing exercies, and that helped a bit more, but I was too worked up to truly relax.
Vicelord is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 11:17 AM
  #24  
dspaff088
½ Throttle
 
dspaff088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ellicott City Md
Posts: 378

Bikes: 2006 Tirreno Razza 3.0, 2007 Schwinn DH 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doubt its purely the caffeine, i was a part of a study last year that had me doing time trials on the equivalent of like 6 cups of coffee. you flat crash afterwards, unless you are super sensitive to it. Its prob more from putting your body thru the shock of a new distance ridden. I rode almost 140mi last thursday and the road turned to gray liquid and i "whigged out" lol

just take it easy and listen to your body
dspaff088 is offline  
Old 08-22-11, 11:17 AM
  #25  
jbholcom
Senior Member
 
jbholcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Signal Mountain, TN
Posts: 186

Bikes: 2011 Gaint Defy 1, 1997 GT Rebound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord View Post
Last night, I did a really long ride (for me) of 50mi... actually my longest ever. Started at 5:30 it was still 108 degrees and it was 101 at the finish. Averaged 18.3 for the ride, so I was cruising (for me.)

I was exhausted to say the least, but when I got in the shower, my body still was going full speed, jittering, heart still extremely high, and overall just felt whacked out of my mind. After a while, I started getting anxious over the fact that my body wouldn't relax, which turned into a re-incarnation of panic attacks I used to have back in the day.

Overall, it wasn't a fun experience being up until 3:30 laying in bed listening to my heart pound away as if I were still on the bike. Crazy. This has happened a few times, though never to this extent. I can usually fall asleep anyhow. I'm starting to think it may be the caffeine goo that I sometimes eat during a ride, but I haven't experienced it enough times to run a control experiment.

Anyone else have trouble settling down after a good ride? Any tricks to settle? I tried drinking a couple of hot Sleepytime teas, with little result.

Even now, I'm still a bit amped up, though partially due to my 3.5 hours of sleep.
My story is a little different, however the results were the same.

On an evening club ride a few months ago we did a climb over a mountain which is a category 2. That was my first full mountain climb for me, so I was completely pumped up. Like an idiot I hung on with the "Hammer Heads" for way too long. It was hot, not 108, but still hot for a mountain climb. I finished, but I was completely zapped! I couldn't sleep much that night. My mind was racing and my heart rate was still elevated even the next morning. It took a couple of days to recuperate fully.

My conclusion was that my body was not ready for what I put it through. I wasn't acclimated to the conditions, I wasn't hydrated enough, and my electrolytes were completely out of sync. Sitting in an air conditioned environment all day, then hammering it in the evening heat is not the best for my body but I'm not quitting my day job. I wasn't hydrated enough either. I doesn't matter how much water you drink on the ride if you don't hydrate hours or days before the ride.

My remedy was to cut back on alcohol and carbonated beverages, hydrate myself more before I ride, and take Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes. Since doing this I haven't had another "attack".
jbholcom is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.