Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 11-speed specific tools?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campagnolo 11-speed specific tools?

Old 12-19-11, 08:51 PM
  #1  
ilovecycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campagnolo 11-speed specific tools?

Hi all,

My Record group will be in tomorrow, but I still need to get all the 11-speed tools before I can install it. It looks like my Shimano/SRAM compatible Park BBT-19 bottom bracket tool will also work with the Campy BB cups. Otherwise, I think I still need the following:

- Campy cassette lockring tool

- 11-speed chain whip

- 11-speed chain tool

- Chain rivet peening tool (didn't know I needed this..what the???)

Am I missing anything? I already have a Torx socket set to use with my torque wrenches. Is the 11-speed chain whip necessary? Will my SR-1 chain whip not work?

Thanks in advance!
ilovecycling is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 08:57 PM
  #2  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,132

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
I'm sure a 10 speed whip will work. I would use a quick-link thingy. http://www.kmcchain.us/
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 12-19-11 at 09:03 PM.
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 09:01 PM
  #3  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you already have a chain tool you will just need the peening tool and the lockring tool. a 10spd whip should work fine. i use an 8spd whip with 10spd.
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 09:09 PM
  #4  
ilovecycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found this Lezyne chain tool for 11-speed chains that supposedly installs the rivet and peens it. This definitely seems like the economical way to go. Anyone out there use this tool before? The levers don't look that big, so I'm worried it won't have good leverage and will be a PITA to use.
ilovecycling is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 09:13 PM
  #5  
ilovecycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
if you already have a chain tool you will just need the peening tool and the lockring tool. a 10spd whip should work fine. i use an 8spd whip with 10spd.
I do already have a chain breaking tool (Park Tool CT-3), but Park Tool sells a separate one that is supposed to be used with 11-speed chains.
ilovecycling is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 09:13 PM
  #6  
ilovecycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
I'm sure a 10 speed whip will work. I would use a quick-link thingy. http://www.kmcchain.us/
That's cool. Thanks!
ilovecycling is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 09:17 PM
  #7  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling View Post
I do already have a chain breaking tool (Park Tool CT-3), but Park Tool sells a separate one that is supposed to be used with 11-speed chains.
i havent tried it but i have heard reports of others breaking an 11spd chain with a standard chain tool and then peening it with the park.


if i were you i would consider the campagnolo tool. i know $200 is a lot but ive used the 10spd version and it is the nicest tool ive ever used. use the money you saved ordering the group and splurge.
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 09:20 PM
  #8  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, dont bother with the park cassette tool either. the campy one is much better. mine has removed hundereds of bottom brackets and cassettes and looks almost new. ive also got a park but it has a looser fit and seems to be made of softer metal.

campagnolo:


park:

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 12-19-11 at 09:24 PM.
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 09:33 PM
  #9  
ilovecycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'd be a little nervous to use a 10-spd chain breaker on the 11-speed chain simply because the 10-spd tool I have now already has a pretty poor fit with 10-spd Shimano chains. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up damaging the 11-speed outer plates.

The Campy tool looks super nice, and they are going for $140 on eBay. Does this peen the rivets as well? Only thing is that I can get the Lezyne one for $40 and it performs both functions as well. I'm sure it's built nicely too. It doesn't look as easy to use as the Campy one, but it's also $100 less. The other thing making it very difficult to swallow even $140 is that KMC Missing Link. I am a little apprehensive to use a tool-free master link on the 11-speed chain though. I figure 11-speed chains are already pushing it so I should probably stick with Campagnolo's system since they are the ones that invented it.

As for the Park cassette lockring tool, I agree that they are pretty crappy. The first one I ever bought was for a Shimano/SRAM lockring and it was so poorly made it didn't even fit the splines of an Ultegra lockring. I got it from REI, so I went in and exchanged it. The new one worked perfectly. Talk about poor quality control!

Last edited by ilovecycling; 12-19-11 at 09:38 PM.
ilovecycling is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 09:40 PM
  #10  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the campy tool will open and close the chain:
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...s_UK-03-09.pdf
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 12-19-11, 09:59 PM
  #11  
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming
 
MrTuner1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northeast Mississippi
Posts: 1,263

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling View Post
The Campy tool looks super nice, and they are going for $140 on eBay. Does this peen the rivets as well? Only thing is that I can get the Lezyne one for $40 and it performs both functions as well. I'm sure it's built nicely too. It doesn't look as easy to use as the Campy one, but it's also $100 less.
Yes, it does both. I got the Park system you referenced in the first post. (CT-4.2 and CT-11) Works just fine. Good quality tools without the high Campy cost.

Originally Posted by ilovecycling View Post
The other thing making it very difficult to swallow even $140 is that KMC Missing Link. I am a little apprehensive to use a tool-free master link on the 11-speed chain though. I figure 11-speed chains are already pushing it so I should probably stick with Campagnolo's system since they are the ones that invented it.
Same for me.

Regarding using a 10 speed chain whip, I use mine on the Campy 11 speed. Mine must be "cross-chained" for it to work, though. In other words, the whip sits across a couple of sprockets rather than holding only one sprocket.

I got this and this for the ultra torque system. Got mine from Outside Outfitters (I think).
MrTuner1970 is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 06:37 AM
  #12  
Brew1 
Senior Member
 
Brew1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 204

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may need the bottom bracket allen tool to tighten the interior bolt too...
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...750.111.0.html

Also you may need to modify a long tourque #25 extension to secure the rear derailleur. I ground down the shank on a grinder so it would slide completely into the hole.
Brew1 is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 10:05 AM
  #13  
AndyK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern N.J.
Posts: 1,967

Bikes: '03 De Rosa Planet, '77 Cinelli Supercorsa, '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As mentioned above, you should get one of these extended Torx 25 wrenches to help install and adjust the brifters!

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...rx+Wrench.aspx
AndyK is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 10:36 AM
  #14  
kimconyc
Señor Member
 
kimconyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,729

Bikes: 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2007 Bianchi HoC 928 SL | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling View Post
Hi all,

My Record group will be in tomorrow, but I still need to get all the 11-speed tools before I can install it. It looks like my Shimano/SRAM compatible Park BBT-19 bottom bracket tool will also work with the Campy BB cups. Otherwise, I think I still need the following:

- Campy cassette lockring tool

- 11-speed chain whip

- 11-speed chain tool

- Chain rivet peening tool (didn't know I needed this..what the???)

Am I missing anything? I already have a Torx socket set to use with my torque wrenches. Is the 11-speed chain whip necessary? Will my SR-1 chain whip not work?

Thanks in advance!
You don't need an 11 speed chain whip.

You will need a 10mm crank bolt tool for the crank bolt or a wrench that can read the 10 bolt for the cranks.

I use a Park CT-4 chain tool (10 speed tool) and a KMC 11 speed quick link for the chains. The KMC 11-speed quick links are theoretically not removable like the 10 speed counterparts but I remove it fine with some needle-nose pliers when I travel. Also, with the CT-4 and quick link route, you will not need a peening tool.
kimconyc is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 02:46 PM
  #15  
ilovecycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc View Post
You don't need an 11 speed chain whip.

You will need a 10mm crank bolt tool for the crank bolt or a wrench that can read the 10 bolt for the cranks.

I use a Park CT-4 chain tool (10 speed tool) and a KMC 11 speed quick link for the chains. The KMC 11-speed quick links are theoretically not removable like the 10 speed counterparts but I remove it fine with some needle-nose pliers when I travel. Also, with the CT-4 and quick link route, you will not need a peening tool.
What do you use the CT-4 for if you use the KMC quick link?
ilovecycling is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 02:52 PM
  #16  
Brew1 
Senior Member
 
Brew1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 204

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling View Post
What do you use the CT-4 for if you use the KMC quick link?
You'll still need to size the chain properly and remove a few links so the CT-4 would be used for that...
Brew1 is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 02:52 PM
  #17  
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 8,782
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc View Post
I use a Park CT-4 chain tool (10 speed tool) and a KMC 11 speed quick link for the chains. The KMC 11-speed quick links are theoretically not removable like the 10 speed counterparts but I remove it fine with some needle-nose pliers when I travel. Also, with the CT-4 and quick link route, you will not need a peening tool.
Are you saying KMC is now following the same nonsense SRAM started with it's 10s master links?
Shimagnolo is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 03:09 PM
  #18  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,132

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
Are you saying KMC is now following the same nonsense SRAM started with it's 10s master links?
What's wrong with quick links (master link ... whatever they're called) ? My KMC 10 speed one seems fine. Been around a while actually.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 03:29 PM
  #19  
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 8,782
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
What's wrong with quick links (master link ... whatever they're called) ? My KMC 10 speed one seems fine. Been around a while actually.
Read the post to which I responded.
He is saying the KMC 11s link is "non-reusable" like the 10s SRAM Powerlock.

Edited to add:
It looks like a normal KMC link: http://www.kmcchain.us/kmcproduct.as...id=34&ssid=572
I don't see any added "locking steps" in the slot like the SRAM Powerlock.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 12-20-11 at 03:32 PM.
Shimagnolo is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 04:26 PM
  #20  
ilovecycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brew1 View Post
You'll still need to size the chain properly and remove a few links so the CT-4 would be used for that...
Duh. Wasn't thinking when I asked the question...

I just picked up the Record group from the post office. It's still boxed up and in my car. Can't wait to get home and fondle the new toys! Thank god for smart phones. I can even get my BF fix from the Walmart checkout line.
ilovecycling is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 04:29 PM
  #21  
kimconyc
Señor Member
 
kimconyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,729

Bikes: 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2007 Bianchi HoC 928 SL | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
Read the post to which I responded.
He is saying the KMC 11s link is "non-reusable" like the 10s SRAM Powerlock.

Edited to add:
It looks like a normal KMC link: http://www.kmcchain.us/kmcproduct.as...id=34&ssid=572
I don't see any added "locking steps" in the slot like the SRAM Powerlock.
The 11 speed KMC link is not supposed to be removable. Neither is the SRAM Powerlock, in theory.

A $2 pair of needle-nose pliers allows this "problem" to be remedied, in both cases.
kimconyc is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 05:20 PM
  #22  
ilovecycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just opened up all the boxes. Absolutely beautiful stuff! One problem though- the crankset arrived damaged. The crankset box had a bunch of holes poked through that were clearly made by the teeth of another crankset's chainrings. All the other component boxes had no external damage so it definitely didn't happen during shipping. Must have happened in their warehouse by another crankset. Really sucks...I'm hoping the return shipping is pre-paid or reimbursed since the product arrived damaged. Anyone have return experience with shinybikes.com in the UK?

ilovecycling is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 05:35 PM
  #23  
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 8,782
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc View Post
The 11 speed KMC link is not supposed to be removable. Neither is the SRAM Powerlock, in theory.

A $2 pair of needle-nose pliers allows this "problem" to be remedied, in both cases.
The Park MLP-1 is what I use.
It also makes it easier to remove any Superlink-style link.
Shimagnolo is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 05:47 PM
  #24  
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming
 
MrTuner1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northeast Mississippi
Posts: 1,263

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aw, man! Sorry to see that pic!

Originally Posted by ilovecycling View Post
I just opened up all the boxes. Absolutely beautiful stuff! One problem though- the crankset arrived damaged. The crankset box had a bunch of holes poked through that were clearly made by the teeth of another crankset's chainrings. All the other component boxes had no external damage so it definitely didn't happen during shipping. Must have happened in their warehouse by another crankset. Really sucks...I'm hoping the return shipping is pre-paid or reimbursed since the product arrived damaged. Anyone have return experience with shinybikes.com in the UK?

MrTuner1970 is offline  
Old 12-20-11, 06:09 PM
  #25  
ilovecycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 2,190

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell me about it...

I guess this is why they say buying from overseas has its risks. I just read their return policy and it says they only cover return shipping on defective/damaged products for UK buyers. I sent them a message explaining that it was clearly damaged before it got shipped, and also that it was my first purchase from them so I'm hoping they do me right. I also plan on calling them tomorrow while at work. What sucks is that it didn't even happen during shipping. I could sort of understand that, but I know for a fact it was damaged before it even left their warehouse. Dunno why they would assume there was no damage when the box looked the way it did. You'd think they would at least open the box and check for damage. They would have seen it right away too since the damaged crank arm is the first thing you see when you open the box. I guess if they opened the box they wouldn't be selling me a "new" crankset, but that would have been better than sending me a damaged one. Oh well. I'll see what happens tomorrow.
ilovecycling is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.