Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

are carbon soled shoes worth the extra cost?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

are carbon soled shoes worth the extra cost?

Old 03-24-12, 08:42 AM
  #1  
Genshu
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 58

Bikes: '78 Ralegih Record Ltd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are carbon soled shoes worth the extra cost?

I bought a pair of carbon road shoes on ebay and love them except that they are a pain to walk in. So now I am looking to get a pair of mountain bike shoes. Do people think that the carbon shoes are worth the extra expense? Thank you for any input.
Genshu is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 09:18 AM
  #2  
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus
 
mmmdonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,245

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you bought the wrong shoe for the job. So in this case the fact that they are carbon soled is irrelevant.

They are worth the extra cost IF they improve something that YOU find lacking in other shoes.
mmmdonuts is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 09:30 AM
  #3  
mvnsnd
Senior Member
 
mvnsnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: WNY
Posts: 2,999

Bikes: Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts View Post
It sounds like you bought the wrong shoe for the job. So in this case the fact that they are carbon soled is irrelevant.

They are worth the extra cost IF they improve something that YOU find lacking in other shoes.
Great advice here.
mvnsnd is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 09:35 AM
  #4  
rangerdavid
Senior Member
 
rangerdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 5,094

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love mine, but I don't walk much in 'em. Dont have mountain shoes so no help on that.
rangerdavid is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 09:48 AM
  #5  
adriano 
*
 
adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 6,876

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no.
__________________

α
adriano is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 10:16 AM
  #6  
todayilearned
Senior Member
 
todayilearned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes they are for peddling. Unfortunately CF is really bad for walking.

Attach 2 carbon bikes to your feet and try to walk. You can't because they're bikes. You're supposed to pedal them.
todayilearned is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 04:33 PM
  #7  
ahsposo 
Rock Hard Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Outside the Box
Posts: 7,136

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5340 Post(s)
Liked 2,543 Times in 1,513 Posts
One walks only when and as far you absolutely have to in road shoes.

And no.
ahsposo is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 05:48 PM
  #8  
hhnngg1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't walk in your bike shoes. WTF.

I have both carbon fiber soled shoes and noncarbon shoes, and I honestly can't tell the difference whatsoever. I guess the carbon is supposed to be lighter for all the weight weenies.
hhnngg1 is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 07:25 PM
  #9  
achoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1 View Post
Don't walk in your bike shoes. WTF.

I have both carbon fiber soled shoes and noncarbon shoes, and I honestly can't tell the difference whatsoever. I guess the carbon is supposed to be lighter for all the weight weenies.
After 3-4 hours, I sure can tell the difference. My feet start hurting when I'm wearing the non-CF shoes.

The CF soles are rigid, the plastic ones aren't.

My CF shoes are Lake CX330s, the non-CF are Sidi Genius 5s.
achoo is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 07:43 PM
  #10  
StanSeven
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delaware shore
Posts: 13,411

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 581 Posts
Originally Posted by Genshu View Post
I bought a pair of carbon road shoes on ebay and love them except that they are a pain to walk in. So now I am looking to get a pair of mountain bike shoes. Do people think that the carbon shoes are worth the extra expense? Thank you for any input.
This forum has a search function which really helps with questions. Here's a recent thread on this subject

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...on+soled+shoes
StanSeven is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 07:55 PM
  #11  
hhnngg1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo View Post
After 3-4 hours, I sure can tell the difference. My feet start hurting when I'm wearing the non-CF shoes.

The CF soles are rigid, the plastic ones aren't.

My CF shoes are Lake CX330s, the non-CF are Sidi Genius 5s.
The more rigid shoes should hurt MORE after 3 hours. THey're meant for max power transfer, not comfort.
hhnngg1 is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 08:05 PM
  #12  
tony2v
Senior Member
 
tony2v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: National City, CA
Posts: 588

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1 View Post
The more rigid shoes should hurt MORE after 3 hours. THey're meant for max power transfer, not comfort.
That why I use my Bonts a-one for the velodrome and crits, but my Giro Factors for my regular road rides.
tony2v is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 01:18 PM
  #13  
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 1,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more rigid shoes should hurt MORE after 3 hours. THey're meant for max power transfer, not comfort.
I think it depends on the type of foot you have. I have a functional flatfoot, and the rigid CF soles are far and away more comfortable than less-rigid shoes, even on longer rides.
tadawdy is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 01:32 PM
  #14  
hhnngg1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm flatfooted as well. I don't notice any difference. Seriously, how much flex do you get in a non-CF shoe? It's like not even a millimeter during the normal pedalstroke. I call massive placebo effect for people who are feeling a big difference.

Weight is a big reason for all the CF shoes. If you're going all out weight weenie on the bike, doesn't make sense to lug heavy shoes onto the bike. (I'm not a weight weenie so I couldn't care less.)
hhnngg1 is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 02:06 PM
  #15  
achoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1 View Post
I'm flatfooted as well. I don't notice any difference. Seriously, how much flex do you get in a non-CF shoe? It's like not even a millimeter during the normal pedalstroke. I call massive placebo effect for people who are feeling a big difference.

Weight is a big reason for all the CF shoes. If you're going all out weight weenie on the bike, doesn't make sense to lug heavy shoes onto the bike. (I'm not a weight weenie so I couldn't care less.)
One wonders how hard you pedal.
achoo is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 03:08 PM
  #16  
dnuzzomueller
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,041

Bikes: something

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find my commuting shoes alot more comfortable then my road shoes......
dnuzzomueller is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Machoman121
Road Cycling
40
10-23-14 10:39 AM
wrr1020
Road Cycling
5
09-01-11 07:32 AM
BlueWilier
Road Cycling
10
05-30-11 11:56 PM
rousseau
Road Cycling
8
01-22-11 04:49 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.