Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

But if we let kids ride their bicycles to school we won't hit our 40% obesity goal.

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

But if we let kids ride their bicycles to school we won't hit our 40% obesity goal.

Old 05-08-12, 04:53 AM
  #1  
Peloton Shelter Dog
Thread Starter
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
But if we let kids ride their bicycles to school we won't hit our 40% obesity goal.

We must remain focused, this bicycling stuff is a distraction.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/advoca...hnny_cant_ride

https://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...lts/54791430/1
__________________
https://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:18 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
The countries pedophiles would love this plan.
jrobe is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:18 AM
  #3  
Schleckaholic
 
K&K_Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carteret Co., NC, USA
Posts: 1,230

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tl:dr
K&K_Dad is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:26 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
MajorMantra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
The countries pedophiles would love this plan.
On average, which shortens a child's life more - paedophiles or being obese?
MajorMantra is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:28 AM
  #5  
z90
Senior Member
 
z90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Path to Fredvana
Posts: 909

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
The countries pedophiles would love this plan.
Fear of kids getting abducted from while riding bikes, or walking to school, or playing in the neighborhood is way out of proportion to the chance of it happening. Juvenile diabetes, obesity, and lack of independence should be much greater cause for concern. The Saratoga Springs kid was riding with his mom, anyway.
z90 is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:32 AM
  #6  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
The obesity epidemic is related to more than exercise. Our portion sizes and reliance on processed corn syrup laden foods has gone off the charts over the last few decades. Our food system is utterly broken.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:36 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Essex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northeast United States
Posts: 1,147

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of school systems don't have mandated PE* anymore and as a result kids opt to do things less physical, but gratifying - like eating crap. In urban schools you'll find a lot of the kids coming to school with Arizona Ice tea etc for breakfast. Then they ditch a balanced school lunch, or bring nothing nutritious to eat other than a bag of chips. Then they head off to some fast food place/local store to binge on crap after they leave school. They complete the cycle by coming home, eating a processed meal in front of the TV, computer or frittering away time on a social network using their cellular device which mommy and daddy have bought them to pacify/occupy them. Naturally, academics, social behaviors like manners suffer in this urban setting. During this cycle - no physical activity.

If we use a different demographic the odds of obesity drop drastically. Riding a bike, walking to school, mandated PE (not just some stupid throwing hoops), doing physical chores and having dinner with the family at one setting (non-take out food) changes the dynamic of getting fat. Kids are taught by their parents to exercise, make healthy choices with regards to food* and enjoy being outside and doing things other than sitting in front of some electronic pacifier. Naturally, academics and social behaviors are average, to above average.

* PE classes have been skeletonized to near nothing because of the fear of litigation, and because test-related standards are what count in public ed.
Essex is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:42 AM
  #8  
Must Go Faster
 
veloboy971's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stopped at the bakery
Posts: 972

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9, BMC Road Racer SL01, Orbea Aletta TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
* PE classes have been skeletonized to near nothing because of the fear of litigation, and because test-related standards are what count in public ed.
Also thanks to budget cuts here in FL too!
veloboy971 is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:47 AM
  #9  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
A lot of school systems don't have mandated PE* anymore and as a result kids opt to do things less physical, but gratifying - like eating crap. In urban schools you'll find a lot of the kids coming to school with Arizona Ice tea etc for breakfast. Then they ditch a balanced school lunch, or bring nothing nutritious to eat other than a bag of chips. Then they head off to some fast food place/local store to binge on crap after they leave school. They complete the cycle by coming home, eating a processed meal in front of the TV, computer or frittering away time on a social network using their cellular device which mommy and daddy have bought them to pacify/occupy them. Naturally, academics, social behaviors like manners suffer in this urban setting. During this cycle - no physical activity.

If we use a different demographic the odds of obesity drop drastically. Riding a bike, walking to school, mandated PE (not just some stupid throwing hoops), doing physical chores and having dinner with the family at one setting (non-take out food) changes the dynamic of getting fat. Kids are taught by their parents to exercise, make healthy choices with regards to food* and enjoy being outside and doing things other than sitting in front of some electronic pacifier. Naturally, academics and social behaviors are average, to above average.

* PE classes have been skeletonized to near nothing because of the fear of litigation, and because test-related standards are what count in public ed.

Shrug. There's a bit too much idealism and blame in your post. Ever try and cook a genuinely healthy meal? It's pretty expensive. Both parents work these days because it's hard to make ends meet. It's also kinda ironic to dump on social networks via a social network. The truth is in many ways modern technologies bring us in closer, more consistent communication with one another. You take a good point, trip, and tumble down the slippery slope.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:47 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Essex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northeast United States
Posts: 1,147

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veloboy971
Also thanks to budget cuts here in FL too!
Thanks. A lot of school funding goes into CORE subject matter instruction. PE, the arts get the short shrift. Little wonder that kids in urban / disadvantaged settings become humongous. You will not find the same phenomenon in locales where parental cultivation is the norm. This means households where parents supervise what kids eat, arrange physical activities and push their kids to excel.
Essex is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:51 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Essex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northeast United States
Posts: 1,147

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Shrug. There's a bit too much idealism and blame in your post. Ever try and cook a genuinely healthy meal? It's pretty expensive. Both parents work these days because it's hard to make ends meet. It's also kinda ironic to dump on social networks via a social network. The truth is in many ways modern technologies bring us in closer, more consistent communication with one another. You take a good point, trip, and tumble down the slippery slope.
Sorry you're wrong. I study the demographics. If I am using strong language it's because obesity is constant issue plaguing certain demographics and it bites. I don't think you spend anytime in the field examining the factors involved. Since you live in NJ - go to Newark, or Trenton and spend time in a public school. Any of em' and see / track they cycle of the average student.

BTW - one huge difference in social and academic success can be tracked to the family sitting down each evening and having a common meal. They do this is France, far more than the US.
Essex is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 05:56 AM
  #12  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
Sorry you're wrong. I study the demographics. If I am using strong language it's because obesity is constant issue plaguing certain demographics and it bites. I don't think you spend anytime in the field examining the factors involved. Since you live in NJ - go to Newark, or Trenton and spend time in a public school. Any of em' and see / track they cycle of the average student.

BTW - one huge difference in social and academic success can be tracked to the family sitting down each evening and having a common meal. They do this is France, far more than the US.
I'm wrong? On what exactly? That parents have less time and money to cook healthy (expensive) meals? Or that social networks have value? When I was a kid middle school and high school kids talked on the phone all night. Kids had their own phone lines because of it. You're blaming parents solely for a food delivery system that's broken, that makes healthy foods unaffordable, and you're telling me I'm wrong. Uh, ok.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 06:08 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
DropDeadFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,429

Bikes: 2013 orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We need some good old fashioned PE and parents need to learn how to cook. I biked to school all the way up until the day some goon decided to steal my bike (I found him riding it almost a year later and beat the tar out of him). I hope to be raising children in Germany where I grew up and I hope they can bike to school. Here it's just not safe and that's our fault.
DropDeadFred is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 06:08 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Essex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northeast United States
Posts: 1,147

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'm wrong? On what exactly? That parents have less time and money to cook healthy (expensive) meals? Or that social networks have value? When I was a kid middle school and high school kids talked on the phone all night. Kids had their own phone lines because of it. You're blaming parents solely for a food delivery system that's broken, that makes healthy foods unaffordable, and you're telling me I'm wrong. Uh, ok.
I'll give you some bits. That said - I made the recommendation of examining the complementary cycle of economics, academics and obesity in targeted high density urban areas. You will not find the same phenomenon in say Princeton, or high real estate neighborhoods in NJ. Additionally, it's these demographics which keep NJ's statewide academic ratings high.

Poverty = harder to get quality protein/food. This means make up the difference with carbohydrates. You will see this in the various poorer areas of the US. Is it harder to cook a meal? Probably, because many of the families in the obese demographics are sometimes one parent households. The phone/internet/television are part and parcel of most homes. Often, they take the role of surrogate pacifier, or parent. Do a quick survey if you take public transportation - how many people do you see frittering away on a mobile device vs. reading a book, newspaper or perhaps just thinking?
Essex is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 06:09 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
DropDeadFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,429

Bikes: 2013 orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'm wrong? On what exactly? That parents have less time and money to cook healthy (expensive) meals? Or that social networks have value? When I was a kid middle school and high school kids talked on the phone all night. Kids had their own phone lines because of it. You're blaming parents solely for a food delivery system that's broken, that makes healthy foods unaffordable, and you're telling me I'm wrong. Uh, ok.
IMO people shouldn't be having kids if they can't afford it monetarily and with quality time. Eugenics people...eugenics
DropDeadFred is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 06:18 AM
  #16  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
I'll give you some bits. That said - I made the recommendation of examining the complementary cycle of economics, academics and obesity in targeted high density urban areas. You will not find the same phenomenon in say Princeton, or high real estate neighborhoods in NJ. Additionally, it's these demographics which keep NJ's statewide academic ratings high.

Poverty = harder to get quality protein/food. This means make up the difference with carbohydrates. You will see this in the various poorer areas of the US. Is it harder to cook a meal? Probably, because many of the families in the obese demographics are sometimes one parent households. The phone/internet/television are part and parcel of most homes. Often, they take the role of surrogate pacifier, or parent. Do a quick survey if you take public transportation - how many people do you see frittering away on a mobile device vs. reading a book, newspaper or perhaps just thinking?
But here's my issue....you're not saying anything different than I have. I've just said the problem is more multi-faceted than your initial post indicated. There's a corporate and governmental impetus to maintain and even grow the status quo.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 06:36 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Essex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northeast United States
Posts: 1,147

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
But here's my issue....you're not saying anything different than I have. I've just said the problem is more multi-faceted than your initial post indicated. There's a corporate and governmental impetus to maintain and even grow the status quo.

I agree with corporate and governmental impetus. The part we may disagree about is my "idealistic" perspective. It's honed over years of anecdotal research. Some may have even quantified it. That said - for most people it is common sense to eat well and healthy, but developing the mechanisms in a constrained household isn't an easy task. That takes hard work, and some foresight.

In some ways the phenomenon of obesity is reflective of a culture that values instant gratification over hard work (like physical activity/cooking a balanced meal/reflection/true research) to one that is basically passive, uninventive and rapidly becoming devoid of real human contact.

Cheers,

Essex
Essex is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 06:42 AM
  #18  
Crusty Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,160

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6522 Post(s)
Liked 5,174 Times in 3,019 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
IMO people shouldn't be having kids if they can't afford it monetarily and with quality time. Eugenics people...eugenics
Gosh. I think you're on to something here. Imagine a world with no ugly, stupid, poor people! Imagine a world full of beautiful, intelligent rich people! Wow! Let's just make sure they are good Christian, Aryan and conservative, too!
__________________
ahsposo is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 06:57 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Spoonrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,033
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 98 Posts
Healthy food is expensive? Compared to what?



I think the proper phrasing should be; investing in one's health through proper diet is not attractive to most people. Thus they budget much less than they should with the inevitable results.
Spoonrobot is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 07:07 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife does most of the grocery shopping, but I'm pretty sure we can feed our family of 4 healthy meals alot cheaper than eating out or buying a bunch of processed foods. In the correct portions I'm would imagine putting a protein, carb and healthy fat on your plate and sitting together to eat it is much cheaper than driving to some restaurant and dropping 20+ dollars on *****. These are just my opinions though.
roadrider63 is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 07:15 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
DropDeadFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,429

Bikes: 2013 orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
Gosh. I think you're on to something here. Imagine a world with no ugly, stupid, poor people! Imagine a world full of beautiful, intelligent rich people! Wow! Let's just make sure they are good Christian, Aryan and conservative, too!
woah woah woah...I didn't say anything about making more mindless drones that believe in fairytale stories from the middle east...calm down there soldier.

I do think poor people have no business having children...
DropDeadFred is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 07:26 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
echotraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Someday education will outphase regulation. IMO society always reaches a limit were people react... Hopefully our planet can withstand our experience till we change transportation and alimentary behaviors. This last 2 are basic foundation blocks of culture, thus difficult to break. In not making sense here...
echotraveler is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 07:28 AM
  #23  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,972
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
The countries pedophiles would love this plan.
heysus murphy buddy, just a wee bit theatrical there.
djb is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 07:33 AM
  #24  
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Healthy food is expensive? Compared to what?



I think the proper phrasing should be; investing in one's health through proper diet is not attractive to most people. Thus they budget much less than they should with the inevitable results.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...-healthy-food/

Healthy eating really does cost more.

That’s what University of Washington researchers found when they compared the prices of 370 foods sold at supermarkets in the Seattle area. Calorie for calorie, junk foods not only cost less than fruits and vegetables, but junk food prices also are less likely to rise as a result of inflation. The findings, reported in the current issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, may help explain why the highest rates of obesity are seen among people in lower-income groups.

<snip>


https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/op...pagewanted=all

THE “fact” that junk food is cheaper than real food has become a reflexive part of how we explain why so many Americans are overweight, particularly those with lower incomes. I frequently read confident statements like, “when a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of broccoli ...” or “it’s more affordable to feed a family of four at McDonald’s than to cook a healthy meal for them at home.”

<snip>


https://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...rocessed-foods

<snip>

Current policies ensure that ultra-processed foods stay cheap, and it’s no accident that the relative cost of fruits and vegetables has gone up by 40 percent since the 1980s, while the relative price of sodas and fast food has declined.

Read more: https://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...#ixzz1uHiod43J



https://www.foodpolitics.com/2011/08/...-healthy-food/

The Commerce department tracks the indexed price of foods. Its data show that the indexed price of fresh produce increased by 40% ince 1980 whereas the price of sodas and processed foods has declined by 10-30%.

<snip>


https://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.c...e-vs-the-cost/
gsteinb is offline  
Old 05-08-12, 07:39 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
DropDeadFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,429

Bikes: 2013 orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its not expensive to grow your own produce....but work is involved...and boy people don't like work....
DropDeadFred is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.