Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone here packin' while on a ride?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone here packin' while on a ride?

Old 06-23-12, 10:36 PM
  #26  
NZXTInerTia
Member
 
NZXTInerTia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad always carries when on rides. An incident in Utah with himself and some little-man-syndrome 3500 diesel driving guy primarily led to it. If I could I would, obviously knowing the significance of a personal firearm. But.. being 16 limits that, although I do personally have my ways of protection.
NZXTInerTia is offline  
Old 06-23-12, 10:38 PM
  #27  
dirtclod
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nv
Posts: 49

Bikes: Haro beasley, Stumpy26"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Just always remember:

People who carry handguns, are more apt to take on characteristics that may not be natural to them. They will quite often be more proned to act in a particular manner that might tend to invite discord or confrontation, rather than to avoid such a situation. For some reason when armed, they seem to attract more trouble than when unarmed.

To arm yourself habitually while performing a routine task is just asking for trouble in my opinion. If you feel that you must arm yourself, just to perform daily operations, then it might be time to modify your routine.


OTOH, whenever a criminal is shot in the act of commiting a crime involving violence, then the shooting should always be ruled justifiable. That's regardless as to who does the shooting, civilian or the authorities.
This is why there is so much popcorn sold. I carry either the big knife zip tied to the seat tube and easily accessable, or a pistol in a frame pouch. only on Mtn bike rides at night when solo. It's comforting.
dirtclod is offline  
Old 06-23-12, 10:40 PM
  #28  
1FJEF
Senior Member
 
1FJEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Mexico (Central Kalifornia)
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can retreat to safety but choose to use or simply draw & brandish or display your CCW you are in all likelihood FUBAR. Even if you survive the criminal charges against you, you will likely be financially destitute, which leaves you in a poor position for the civil suit which is likely to follow.
The CCW permit gives you the right to carry a particular firearm and then risk having to spend every penny you own defending yourself if you actually have to draw it.
I am the victim of a hideous violent crime & considered getting one, but after speaking with people that have used their weapon, decided against it.
1FJEF is offline  
Old 06-23-12, 10:44 PM
  #29  
Karcas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 89

Bikes: 2012 CAAD10 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FJEF View Post
If you can retreat to safety but choose to use or simply draw & brandish or display your CCW you are in all likelihood FUBAR. Even if you survive the criminal charges against you, you will likely be financially destitute, which leaves you in a poor position for the civil suit which is likely to follow.
The CCW permit gives you the right to carry a particular firearm and then risk having to spend every penny you own defending yourself if you actually have to draw it.
I am the victim of a hideous violent crime & considered getting one, but after speaking with people that have used their weapon, decided against it.
Really sorry to hear that!

Have you thought about ccw for less than lethal weapons? Spray or taser would be good options... just something to give you some sort of advantage should anything like that ever happen to you again.
Karcas is offline  
Old 06-23-12, 10:53 PM
  #30  
Karcas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 89

Bikes: 2012 CAAD10 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FJEF View Post
If you can retreat to safety but choose to use or simply draw & brandish or display your CCW you are in all likelihood FUBAR. Even if you survive the criminal charges against you, you will likely be financially destitute, which leaves you in a poor position for the civil suit which is likely to follow.
The CCW permit gives you the right to carry a particular firearm and then risk having to spend every penny you own defending yourself if you actually have to USE it.
I am the victim of a hideous violent crime & considered getting one, but after speaking with people that have used their weapon, decided against it.
fify

Would also like to touch on what you say about deciding not to carry after talking with others who have endured legal battles due to defending themselves via ccw.

I have heard the same things. It is true.. you may end up in a legal battle that drains every financial means you have. BUT, I overcame that by thinking about my family. I like to think that should a life/death situation ever befall me or my wife or my children, I would defend them without pause. My finances can be fixed, money can be made again... but my family is irreplaceable!
Karcas is offline  
Old 06-23-12, 11:18 PM
  #31  
abstractform20
Senior Member
 
abstractform20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
open carry is more effective. you want a deterrent, not something to ambush with.

plus, while sweaty and swerving to avoid being hit, how quickly can you gain balance and draw the weapon?

go sprint for 25 seconds, swerve onto the shoulder. then unclip, gain balance, and draw.

video please.
abstractform20 is offline  
Old 06-23-12, 11:25 PM
  #32  
pgjackson
Senior Member
 
pgjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 3,846

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a CC permit in NC and never actually felt safer while carying. It always made me feel uncomfortable and weird having a loaded gun on me. If you regularly find yourself in situations were you think you need a gun, you might need to reconsider your travels. Even the smallest gun weighs about 5lbs loaded. Not exactly convenient to carry while wearing spandex. I just can't think of a situation where it is necessary to have a gun on a bike. I firmly believe in excersizing your right to carry a weapon, I just never felt comfortable doing so. Actually it was a major let-down. It sounds really cool, but in reality it's a giant pain in the butt.
pgjackson is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 12:20 AM
  #33  
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread is a perfect illustration of how weird the USA can seem from outside.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 12:36 AM
  #34  
Peiper1
Senior Member
 
Peiper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 191

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The mere fact that this issue is being debated in a cycling forum perfectly demonstrates why the United States is a completely deranged society. No wonder you people are offing each other in record numbers. The funny part is that for all your guns and tough cowboy talk, you haven't been able to win a war in over 50 years. Truly pathetic.
Peiper1 is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 12:41 AM
  #35  
rousseau
Senior Member
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 2,806
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
To arm yourself habitually while performing a routine task is just asking for trouble...
It's a uniquely American form of idiocy.

Originally Posted by Karcas
An armed society is a [strike]polite[/strike] paranoid society
Fixed.
rousseau is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 12:52 AM
  #36  
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am
 
rooftest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,613

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My fists are registered as deadly weapons. I refuse to carry more than one tube - where would I put a .45? (I believe if you think you should carry while riding - then you should.)

Last edited by rooftest; 06-24-12 at 12:55 AM.
rooftest is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 12:58 AM
  #37  
009jim
Senior Member
 
009jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,289

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1% is a small number.....and a gross exaggeration. 1% of people who drive are not "looking for a reason to hurt someone".
1% might be an exaggeration but his point is nonetheless accurate - i.e. there is a small, small number of prawns out there who would like to hurt someone, and in those instances it would be preferable to many of us to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 (as one of the brethren once put it).
009jim is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 01:11 AM
  #38  
009jim
Senior Member
 
009jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,289

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An armed society is a polite society
Have to agree. I traveled the roads in USA extensively by car and found drivers extremely courteous compared to Australia. The only explanation that occurred to me was this.
009jim is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 01:28 AM
  #39  
RobertL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Just always remember:

People who carry handguns, are more apt to take on characteristics that may not be natural to them. They will quite often be more proned to act in a particular manner that might tend to invite discord or confrontation, rather than to avoid such a situation. For some reason when armed, they seem to attract more trouble than when unarmed.
Source?


Concealed carry permit holders are among the safest and most law abiding citizen there are. Someone actively “tend(ing) to invite discord or confrontation, rather than to avoid such a situation” will very quickly have their permit revoked.

From:
https://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2010/0...ry-permit.html
2/21/2010
The rate that concealed carry permit holders are now losing their permits for gun related violations
Between, October 1, 1987, and November 30, 2008, Florida issued permits to 1,439,446 people, many of whom have had their permits renewed multiple times. Only 166 had their permits revoked for any type of firearms related violation – about 0.01 percent. I was just looking up the new numbers. Updating those numbers to January 31, 2010, Florida has now issued permits to 1,704,624 people. The number who have had their permits revoked has risen to just 167. In 14 months, just one person with a Florida permit has lost his permit for a fire arms related violation. There are currently 692,621 valid permits. That is a revocation rate of 0.00014 percent.
RobertL is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 02:16 AM
  #40  
SlimRider
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,804

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertL View Post
Source?


Concealed carry permit holders are among the safest and most law abiding citizen there are. Someone actively “tend(ing) to invite discord or confrontation, rather than to avoid such a situation” will very quickly have their permit revoked.

From:
https://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2010/0...ry-permit.html
2/21/2010
The rate that concealed carry permit holders are now losing their permits for gun related violations
Between, October 1, 1987, and November 30, 2008, Florida issued permits to 1,439,446 people, many of whom have had their permits renewed multiple times. Only 166 had their permits revoked for any type of firearms related violation – about 0.01 percent. I was just looking up the new numbers. Updating those numbers to January 31, 2010, Florida has now issued permits to 1,704,624 people. The number who have had their permits revoked has risen to just 167. In 14 months, just one person with a Florida permit has lost his permit for a fire arms related violation. There are currently 692,621 valid permits. That is a revocation rate of 0.00014 percent.

I served in the US Coast Guard for over eight years. I know what it feels like to be armed. I also know what it feels like to be armed with the permission to kill without any legal repercussions. Most people who are armed carry with them a false sense of security which bolsters their confidence level. Often times to the point of less tolerance and more direct confrontation.

Policemen do this sort of thing all the time...

PS.

Many of my old friends are ex-cops and ex-firemen.
SlimRider is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 03:06 AM
  #41  
ianstew
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uncrx2003 View Post
There have been a few incidents around here that make me consider getting a conceal permit. Several instances where drivers purposely intimidate cyclists on the road and it could have a recipe for a disaster. Although, the chance of me ever using it is slim to none. I think I feel safer just having it with me. If you do carry one, how/what do you use to carry it?
get a weapon. train with the weapon. become proficient with it. Take the required courses, as well as the additional self defense courses that are offered. Take a gun safety course (not the ccw course, a separate safety course). study the laws in your state regarding CC, when to use the weapon and when not to. get your ccw permit, and carry responsibly.

No one else's opinion here matters. If you are concerned for your safety, and you wish to carry, do it. But know that whenever you strap on your weapon, you may have to use it. And understand that what that weapon does, can't ever be undone. As corny as it sounds, with great power comes an even greater responsibility. That weapon should remained holstered until you are ready to take another human life to save your own. That is a heavy burden that you have to be ready to shoulder whenever that weapon is carried.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are minutes away. You are responsible for your safety and the safety of your loved ones.
ianstew is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 03:09 AM
  #42  
WHOOOSSHHH...
Senior Member
 
WHOOOSSHHH...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RVA
Posts: 6,404
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own guns, however I can't think of a instance where I would need to return fire while riding my bicycle, or where I would have to dismount, draw out a weapon and clad in bike kit, open fire. I'm a former LEO so spare me the scenarios....unless...
WHOOOSSHHH... is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 03:15 AM
  #43  
telebianchi
Senior Member
 
telebianchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,310

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I'm packin' enough weight around my belly as it is. Don't need to add any more grams.
telebianchi is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 03:22 AM
  #44  
telebianchi
Senior Member
 
telebianchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,310

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20 View Post
plus, while sweaty and swerving to avoid being hit, how quickly can you gain balance and draw the weapon?

go sprint for 25 seconds, swerve onto the shoulder. then unclip, gain balance, and draw.

video please.
I think you've just come up with the summer version of the Biathlon. It's too later for London but I'm going to start training for Rio 2016.
telebianchi is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 03:29 AM
  #45  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,043

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
This thread is a perfect illustration of how weird the USA can seem from outside.
+1

Laughably weird.
Machka is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 03:49 AM
  #46  
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 41 Posts
If you look the part wear a marines or some other type of military or law enforcement jersey. You are far less likely to be harassed.

https://www.sunandski.com/Primal_Wear...800710_0009003
mihlbach is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 04:50 AM
  #47  
brian416
Roadie
 
brian416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Just always remember:

People who carry handguns, are more apt to take on characteristics that may not be natural to them. They will quite often be more proned to act in a particular manner that might tend to invite discord or confrontation, rather than to avoid such a situation. For some reason when armed, they seem to attract more trouble than when unarmed.


To arm yourself habitually while performing a routine task is just asking for trouble in my opinion. If you feel that you must arm yourself, just to perform daily operations, then it might be time to modify your routine.


OTOH, whenever a criminal is shot in the act of commiting a crime involving violence, then the shooting should always be ruled justifiable. That's regardless as to who does the shooting, civilian or the authorities.
This is incorrect, I have a concealed pistol license and I know alot of people who have them and carry as well. The types of people that carry will go out of their way to avoid confrontation. You do not ever want to have to be in a situation where you might have to shoot someone, but it's better to have a gun and not need it, than need it and not have it.
brian416 is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 05:10 AM
  #48  
big chainring 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 7,004
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 381 Times in 196 Posts
I have solved this cultural equation. Those that carry guns will cancel each other out. For the the rest of us its up to Darwin.

Last edited by big chainring; 06-24-12 at 05:16 AM.
big chainring is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 05:48 AM
  #49  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,633

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Here we go again.
fixed
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 06-24-12, 05:57 AM
  #50  
hhnngg1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
get a weapon. train with the weapon. become proficient with it. Take the required courses, as well as the additional self defense courses that are offered. Take a gun safety course (not the ccw course, a separate safety course). study the laws in your state regarding CC, when to use the weapon and when not to. get your ccw permit, and carry responsibly.

No one else's opinion here matters. If you are concerned for your safety, and you wish to carry, do it. But know that whenever you strap on your weapon, you may have to use it. And understand that what that weapon does, can't ever be undone. As corny as it sounds, with great power comes an even greater responsibility. That weapon should remained holstered until you are ready to take another human life to save your own. That is a heavy burden that you have to be ready to shoulder whenever that weapon is carried.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are minutes away. You are responsible for your safety and the safety of your loved ones.
I still can't believe citizens actually think like this. It explains a lot of what is wrong in our country, honestly.

There is (probably) a reasonable role for guns in our society. Like living in ALaska where the threat of bears is very real on outdoor hikes, similar ranger patrols, and police work.

But I find the notion that in our modern day society, that you need to be able to wield a firearm to feel safe, is just encouraging horrible misuse of it. Yes there's a statement in the Constitution that we have the right to bear arms, but it can be very convincingly argued that that clause was written in a very different time, with very different encroachments on freedom and other things.

I find especially appalling the number of people clamoring for the right to bear automatic weapons as civilians. There is absolutely zero reason for a civilian to carry an automatic weapon. None.

With regards to the OP, what would you do? SHow off your gun so you can reverse-intimidate the driver? SHOOT at him if he doesn't back down?
hhnngg1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.