Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

flat to drop bar conversion cost?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

flat to drop bar conversion cost?

Old 08-20-12, 12:53 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reseda, Ca
Posts: 110

Bikes: 2009 Felt F85

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
flat to drop bar conversion cost?

how much would it cost to convert a flat bar bike to have drop bars? I thought I found a perfect deal when I saw someone selling a 2007 felt z80 in my size for $400. They said they payed an extra $200 for the bike when they first got it for a "special gearing system". I had no idea what this meant. But then I just got pictures of the bike, and they for some reason converted it to flat bars.
dynikus is offline  
Old 08-20-12, 12:58 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 65

Bikes: Giant TCX

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynikus
how much would it cost to convert a flat bar bike to have drop bars? I thought I found a perfect deal when I saw someone selling a 2007 felt z80 in my size for $400. They said they payed an extra $200 for the bike when they first got it for a "special gearing system". I had no idea what this meant. But then I just got pictures of the bike, and they for some reason converted it to flat bars.
If they paid to convert it after they bought it, shouldn't they still have the original parts, yielding a cost of $0?
dimachka is offline  
Old 08-20-12, 01:00 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reseda, Ca
Posts: 110

Bikes: 2009 Felt F85

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dimachka
If they paid to convert it after they bought it, shouldn't they still have the original parts, yielding a cost of $0?
I'm not sure if they converted after they bought it, or if they asked the shop they got it from to do it for them. I'm assuming the flat bar conversion was the "special gearing system" that was mentioned. I'll ask if they still have the parts to convert it back though.

Last edited by dynikus; 08-20-12 at 01:09 PM.
dynikus is offline  
Old 08-20-12, 01:05 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 65

Bikes: Giant TCX

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynikus
I'm not sure if they converted after they bought it, or if they asked the shop they got it from to do it for them. I'm assuming the flat bar conversion was the "special gearing system" that was mentioned. I'll ask if they still have the parts to convert it back though.
Even if the shop did it for them, I would think the shop would give the buyer the original parts as well, unless it was some kind of special trade in deal. Either way, I think it makes sense to ask. The person might not even be thinking about those parts laying in the garage...
dimachka is offline  
Old 08-20-12, 01:06 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,608

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,617 Times in 2,364 Posts
since you know you want drop bars, don't buy straight thinking to convert. just buy a bike with drops from the get-go. most conversions are by people who changeb their riding style or have buyers remorse.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 08-20-12, 01:13 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reseda, Ca
Posts: 110

Bikes: 2009 Felt F85

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
since you know you want drop bars, don't buy straight thinking to convert. just buy a bike with drops from the get-go. most conversions are by people who changeb their riding style or have buyers remorse.
well I had no plans on buying straight. But since the z80 is stock with drops, I thought if it wasn't too much to just convert it back, it would be a good deal. If they still have the stuff to convert it, then I think it would still be good, just require a little work.

But lets just say they don't still have the parts as a worst case scenario. About how much would it be to convert? I would try to go as stock as possible with the bike, so tiagra levers and shifters and aluminum bars. I'd assume they still have the same stem. What else is different with straight vs drop that I would need to remedy?
dynikus is offline  
Old 08-20-12, 01:24 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,510
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,865 Posts
Well, you're going to need new bars (call that at least $50). Then you're going to need "brifters" (I'd say call that another $150 or so, but that's probably on the cheap side). New tape ($15). New cables ($30). Potentially a new front derailleur ($30). Roughly, you're looking at $275 if you're able to do all the work yourself and that's probably a low estimate.
__________________
Bikes: 1996 Eddy Merckx Titanium EX, 1989/90 Colnago Super(issimo?) Piu(?), 1990 Concorde Aquila(hit by car while riding), others in build queue "when I get the time"





himespau is offline  
Old 08-20-12, 01:51 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reseda, Ca
Posts: 110

Bikes: 2009 Felt F85

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wait, why would I need a new front derailleur?
and yeah I just looked at tiagra shifter sets.. new they're $300. So if he doesn't have the parts, guess I'm not getting the bike.
dynikus is offline  
Old 08-20-12, 02:01 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,550

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Ergo shifters are not cheap. They probably sold them during the conversion to cover the cost.
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 08-20-12, 02:01 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,510
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by dynikus
wait, why would I need a new front derailleur?
.
The new front derailleur is up in the air. The thing is mountain bike FD's have different amounts of cable pull/travel than road FD's. So if they used shifters compatible with road FDs, the FD on the bike will be fine. If they put on a mtb shifter, they also put on a mtb FD and you'll have to switch that back.
__________________
Bikes: 1996 Eddy Merckx Titanium EX, 1989/90 Colnago Super(issimo?) Piu(?), 1990 Concorde Aquila(hit by car while riding), others in build queue "when I get the time"





himespau is offline  
Old 08-20-12, 02:04 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reseda, Ca
Posts: 110

Bikes: 2009 Felt F85

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
The new front derailleur is up in the air. The thing is mountain bike FD's have different amounts of cable pull/travel than road FD's. So if they used shifters compatible with road FDs, the FD on the bike will be fine. If they put on a mtb shifter, they also put on a mtb FD and you'll have to switch that back.
ohh, alright. that's good to know, thanks for the info.
dynikus is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
metropical
Bicycle Mechanics
17
08-14-18 07:30 AM
CadenceCrazy
General Cycling Discussion
7
02-03-17 11:45 AM
a3inverter
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
3
09-28-14 03:59 AM
gibsonj45
Road Cycling
19
08-01-14 03:39 PM
word_nerd
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
16
08-31-11 08:36 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.