Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Moustache / All-Rounder bars with brifters

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Moustache / All-Rounder bars with brifters

Old 10-10-12, 12:43 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 140

Bikes: Milwaukee Orange One, Specialized Tarmac, Trek X02

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moustache / All-Rounder bars with brifters

I have a Gunnar CrossHairs frame that is just a little too big for me to use for cyclocross, but is perfect to use for a commuter/city bike setup with moustache / all-rounder bars. In an effort to reuse parts I have, I would like to setup this commuter using the sram rival levers I have.

The bars Im considering are:
NITTO Jitensha
NITTO RM-016 Moustache Handlebar (Im a little concerned that the reach may be to long.)
VeloOrange Postino
VeloOrange Proteour
I may have to ship the grip for these bars to work.

Does anyone out there have experience with such a setup? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.
RLHawk is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 01:32 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
cwk132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 180

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my opinion, drop bars are pretty damn good all-rounder bars, they even are designed to work perfectly with brifters. Get some shallow drops and set it up so you're actually comfortable using them, and you have 3 hand positions of varying reach and drop.
cwk132 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 03:06 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 140

Bikes: Milwaukee Orange One, Specialized Tarmac, Trek X02

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cwk132
Get some shallow drops and set it up so you're actually comfortable using them, and you have 3 hand positions of varying reach and drop.
The frame is to big. Only way I could get comfortable on the frame with a drop bar is with a 70 mm stem, or possibly shorter. Instead of doing that, I'm would like to try a bar that sweeps back. Ideal solution would be a different frame, but I have not been able to sell this one, so I'm trying to get things to work with what I have on hand.
RLHawk is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 05:46 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
cwk132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 180

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another option would maybe be indexed bar-end shifters (time trial shifters), and some brakes set up wherever is most comfortable with whatever bar you choose. Would probably be cheaper than brifters, and would give you a little more flexibility as to how you set it up. I would probably do that before trying to get brifters to work on a set of mustache bars.




^^^ Like that for the shifters, then just throw the brakes wherever is most comfortable for ya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P6120066.JPG (23.7 KB, 77 views)
cwk132 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 05:49 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
abstractform20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,884
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
road trigger shifters

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/produc...speed-shifters
abstractform20 is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 05:52 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Fiery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,361
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RLHawk
The frame is to big. Only way I could get comfortable on the frame with a drop bar is with a 70 mm stem, or possibly shorter. Instead of doing that, I'm would like to try a bar that sweeps back. Ideal solution would be a different frame, but I have not been able to sell this one, so I'm trying to get things to work with what I have on hand.
Nothing wrong with a short stem - I have a beater bike with a 60 mm stem and drop bars, no problems whatsoever.

Also keep in mind that going to a bar that sweeps back has the same net effect as a shorter stem as far as handling goes. It's all about where your hands are, not where the stem ends.
Fiery is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 06:50 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 140

Bikes: Milwaukee Orange One, Specialized Tarmac, Trek X02

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cwk132
Another option would maybe be indexed bar-end shifters (time trial shifters), and some brakes set up wherever is most comfortable with whatever bar you choose. Would probably be cheaper than brifters, and would give you a little more flexibility as to how you set it up. I would probably do that before trying to get brifters to work on a set of mustache bars.




^^^ Like that for the shifters, then just throw the brakes wherever is most comfortable for ya.
The attached pic is very much what I'm thinking. Bar-end shifters probably would be a better fit for this application, BUT... I already have a brifters. Instead of buying bar-end shifters and break levers, I want to try to use what I have.
RLHawk is offline  
Old 10-10-12, 07:19 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 140

Bikes: Milwaukee Orange One, Specialized Tarmac, Trek X02

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
Nothing wrong with a short stem - I have a beater bike with a 60 mm stem and drop bars, no problems whatsoever.

Also keep in mind that going to a bar that sweeps back has the same net effect as a shorter stem as far as handling goes. It's all about where your hands are, not where the stem ends.
Really? (no sarcasm intended)

So a 'city bike' like this example from mapcyles https://www.flickr.com/photos/mapcycl...n/photostream/ is compromising the handling by using a swept back bar?

Maybe it's really just aesthetics, but in my mind a bike setup like mapcycles above would be more comfortable and better handling than a same bike with shorter stem and drop bars. To me it looks like both setups would place hands in similar position, assuming most time is spent on the tops of a drop bar. A further swept back bar, like a true mustache bar, or northroad bar, would allow hands to come back more.

Im also looking at Bridgestone XO-1's for inspiration: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8911974...57594510405255
RLHawk is offline  
Old 10-12-12, 04:17 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
rebel1916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,141
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by cwk132
In my opinion, drop bars are pretty damn good all-rounder bars, they even are designed to work perfectly with brifters. Get some shallow drops and set it up so you're actually comfortable using them, and you have 3 hand positions of varying reach and drop.
This makes a lot more sense than the OPs plan.
rebel1916 is offline  
Old 10-12-12, 04:34 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would not want to use drop bars off road - flared "dirt drop" style notwithstanding.
Violet is offline  
Old 10-12-12, 09:08 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 3,811
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YMMV, but I think the effect of stem length on handling is way exaggerated. I commute on an old Bridgestone MB that was my main mountain bike from about 1985-88, then has done a lot of different jobs since then, including a century just to see if I could do it. It's had stems from 60cm to 150cm, and the adjustment to the allegedly different handling takes literally zero time. it's barely noticeable.
Velo Dog is offline  
Old 10-13-12, 08:30 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: western Massachusetts (greater Springfield area)
Posts: 700

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Likes: 0
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
YMMV, but I think the effect of stem length on handling is way exaggerated.
I could not agree more. Even riding with hands off the bars, in which case stem length is obviously not an issue, touring frames are stable and racing frames are twitchy. I have even seen someone on a hybrid with the quill stem turned backwards, and she had no trouble with it.
MikeWMass is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
royalflash
Road Cycling
96
03-29-17 09:03 AM
milofilo
Touring
15
06-27-16 05:42 PM
e0richt
Commuting
19
03-03-14 10:06 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.