Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My first road bike! please help choose and advise :)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My first road bike! please help choose and advise :)

Old 02-15-13, 07:26 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first road bike! please help choose and advise :)

hi all, g'day from australia. im fairly new into cycling. ive been cycling with my mountain bike around and really want to start getting serious and buy a road bike to get around town. i've seen these two different bikes:


Giant Defy 3 2013 $999 https://www.bicycleworkshop.com.au/bi.../vic/102117728
SPECIFICATIONS
COLOURS Black/White/Silver
FRAME ALUXX FluidFormed™ Alloy
FORK Advanced Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer
HANDLEBAR Giant Sport oversize alloy
STEM Giant Sport oversize alloy 7 Degree
SEATPOST Giant Sport
SADDLE Giant Defy saddle
PEDALS Alloy w/toe clips
SHIFTERS Shimano Sora STI 18sp
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Sora
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Sora 9sp
BRAKES Shimano Sora Dual Pivot
BRAKE LEVER Shimano Sora STI w/reach adjust
CASSETTE Shimano HG50 - 12x27T 9sp
CHAIN Shimano HG73 9sp
CRANKSET Shimano Sora Compact 34x50T
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano Press Fit
RIMS Giant S-R2 double wall 24H Fr, 28H Rr
HUBS Giant alloy, 9sp cassette
SPOKES 14G Stainless Steel
TYRES Giant SR-4, 700x25c

and

2013 Reid Falco Sport Road Bike $669 https://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycle...l#.UR7eQKXIs7w
WEIGHT: 9.69 kgs
FRAME: 6061 alloy.
FORKS: 700c Carbon Fibre.
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano Tiagra 4600.
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano Tiagra 4600.
SHIFTERS: Shimano Tiagra 4600.
CRANKSET: Shimano Tiagra 4600.
BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano Tiagra 4600.
CHAIN: Shimano Tiagra 4600.
CASSETTE: Shimano Tiagra 4600.
BRAKES: Tektro dual pivot 320.
BRAKE LEVERS: Shimano Tiagra 4600.
HUBS: QUANDO.
RIMS: Alex DA-16 double wall alloy.
SPOKE: 14G stainless black.
TIRES: Kenda 700x23C
PEDALS: VP platform pedals.
STEM: Zoom alloy.
SEAT POST: Zoom alloy.
SEAT: Velo racing.
HANDLEBAR: Zoom alloy


as i've said, im very new to this and only know basic stuff. i think the reid bike has better specs but im wondering why is it cheaper? is giant better? or what bike is best for starting? i dont want to spend too much. 1000$ max
thanks guys!
k4k7uz is offline  
Old 02-15-13, 07:52 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver area (Ken Caryl Valley)
Posts: 1,803

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
My vote goes with the Giant. I know Giant and their bikes ride well. They make good mountain bikes too. You may get a better frame warranty with them too.
Chandne is offline  
Old 02-15-13, 10:08 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
My vote goes with the Giant. I know Giant and their bikes ride well. They make good mountain bikes too. You may get a better frame warranty with them too.
thanks, i know giant has great bikes. but i mean is it really worth it to sacrifice the gears to have their frame for an even higher price?
k4k7uz is offline  
Old 02-15-13, 10:15 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver area (Ken Caryl Valley)
Posts: 1,803

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Not sure if it will be a real sacrifice. I mean, you get a compact crank with a 12-27. I live here in Colorado (trust me, we have mountain climbs) and a compact is just fine, unless you are a tourer or just like to spin up the climbs. I can't see this being a problem in Australia. I am sure the other one is fine. Just go with the one that fits you better. Both have a decent warranty. I'd still go with the Giant.
Chandne is offline  
Old 02-15-13, 10:54 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,279

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The specs look better on the cheaper Reid Falco bike, tiagra vs sora.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 02-16-13, 12:39 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 229
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 Speed tiagra vs 9 speed sora. That is a tough one. See if they can sell you a 10 speed giant for $1000?
Christobevii3 is offline  
Old 02-16-13, 05:52 AM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Christobevii3
10 Speed tiagra vs 9 speed sora. That is a tough one. See if they can sell you a 10 speed giant for $1000?
giant defy 2 has tiagra but it's over my budget (1200). i think i'll go with giant defy3
k4k7uz is offline  
Old 02-16-13, 06:15 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Essex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northeast United States
Posts: 1,147

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I like the looks of the Reid bike. Plus, the price point. I have a Giant with a Aluxx frame. And it's OK on the flats. You can keep up with other roadies if you have the legs. That said - I have a Spec. Tarmac and the difference between the Giant Aluxx and carbon are significant. One is like driving a Subaru Forester. The other is like a Porsche. I also came off of using a MTB to road a few years ago.

At the end of the day - I hope you are able to take test drives of the bikes to see which one is your preferred steed.
Essex is offline  
Old 02-16-13, 09:17 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
seymour1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 2,792
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
This is simple, $330 saved and you get better components...no brainer imho...Giant lovers will go for the Giant and yes they are great bikes but seriously...with the $330 saved you can get some nice extras man. You said your budget is 1k, the Giant maxes out the budget, what if you want extras. What about pedals, shoes, helmet, clothes? $330 will buy some of that.
seymour1910 is offline  
Old 02-16-13, 08:08 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
This is simple, $330 saved and you get better components...no brainer imho...Giant lovers will go for the Giant and yes they are great bikes but seriously...with the $330 saved you can get some nice extras man. You said your budget is 1k, the Giant maxes out the budget, what if you want extras. What about pedals, shoes, helmet, clothes? $330 will buy some of that.
this is exactly what ive been thinking. should i choose components over frame?
k4k7uz is offline  
Old 02-16-13, 08:28 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
catonec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buffalo New York
Posts: 2,470
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
This is simple, $330 saved and you get better components...no brainer imho...Giant lovers will go for the Giant and yes they are great bikes but seriously...with the $330 saved you can get some nice extras man. You said your budget is 1k, the Giant maxes out the budget, what if you want extras. What about pedals, shoes, helmet, clothes? $330 will buy some of that.
+1

I'd also get the reid
__________________
2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
2000 litespeed Unicoi Ti, XTR,XT, Campy crank, time atac, carbon forks
catonec is offline  
Old 02-16-13, 10:27 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
seymour1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 2,792
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by k4k7uz
this is exactly what ive been thinking. should i choose components over frame?
I don't think it's a huge step down in frame. You will not lose anything but a big name on your down tube honestly. The big companies like Cannindale, Trek, Specialized, Giant all make great bikes but those are not the only bikes that will give great service. Get the other bike and use the savings. You know your way around a MTB but once you get this bike you can ask here for advice on nice pedals, shoes, and other items.
seymour1910 is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 06:05 AM
  #13  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
I don't think it's a huge step down in frame. You will not lose anything but a big name on your down tube honestly. The big companies like Cannindale, Trek, Specialized, Giant all make great bikes but those are not the only bikes that will give great service. Get the other bike and use the savings. You know your way around a MTB but once you get this bike you can ask here for advice on nice pedals, shoes, and other items.
okay newb question. how do you know a frame is good or bad?
k4k7uz is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 07:00 AM
  #14  
we be rollin'
 
hybridbkrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,951
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by k4k7uz
okay newb question. how do you know a frame is good or bad?
My only guess would be the weight, but I'm not a specialist in road bikes.

I just wanted to add that there might be a possibility that some of those parts on the cheaper bike might be the type you see on department store bicycles. That might explain the big difference in price. I might be tempted to go with the Giant and then replacing the groupset when you have more money. Or, it's an idea, maybe not ideal. Maybe ideal would be to have specific choices for everything you want on a bike then building a bike part by part. lol
hybridbkrdr is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 08:43 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 150
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spend the extra $100 and get the next step up on that Reid. 105 brifters and derailluers are worth it. You can even go another $100 to get their top end version that is all 105, and still be $120 less than the Giant. I think the Falco Advanced or Elite are a no brainer over that Giant.
cashmonee is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 08:57 AM
  #16  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
My only guess would be the weight, but I'm not a specialist in road bikes.

I just wanted to add that there might be a possibility that some of those parts on the cheaper bike might be the type you see on department store bicycles. That might explain the big difference in price. I might be tempted to go with the Giant and then replacing the groupset when you have more money. Or, it's an idea, maybe not ideal. Maybe ideal would be to have specific choices for everything you want on a bike then building a bike part by part. lol
and what do you mean by "some of those parts" is it parts that are not in the component list? i dont get it sorry :/
k4k7uz is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 08:57 AM
  #17  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cashmonee
Spend the extra $100 and get the next step up on that Reid. 105 brifters and derailluers are worth it. You can even go another $100 to get their top end version that is all 105, and still be $120 less than the Giant. I think the Falco Advanced or Elite are a no brainer over that Giant.
yeah i might do that. but is 105 that much better than tiagra? will i notice the difference? as im pretty new to road bikes
k4k7uz is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 09:39 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,279

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by k4k7uz
yeah i might do that. but is 105 that much better than tiagra? will i notice the difference? as im pretty new to road bikes
Probably not.

I second the earlier question about the frames. I have no knowledge of the Reid frame, and I don't think it's a given that the frame is in any way inferior to the Giant. Unless someone does come forward with something about that, were I you the Reid is a much better choice.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 04:20 PM
  #19  
we be rollin'
 
hybridbkrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,951
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by k4k7uz
and what do you mean by "some of those parts" is it parts that are not in the component list? i dont get it sorry :/
VP pedals, Alex rims, Quando hubs, Tektro brakes...
hybridbkrdr is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 07:17 PM
  #20  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
VP pedals, Alex rims, Quando hubs, Tektro brakes...
are those bad?
k4k7uz is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 07:54 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
catonec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buffalo New York
Posts: 2,470
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cashmonee
.... You can even go another $100 to get their top end version that is all 105, and still be $120 less than the Giant......
+1

I didnt look at this option but its worth it in my eyes. You'll be way less tempted to "upgrade" piece by piece in the future if you get better components now. Your bike may even hold some extra value if you decide this hobby isnt for you.

Aluminum bike frames are either 6000 series or 7000. 6061 makes for a great ride, light and stiff.

Giants aluxx is a 6000 tubing practically the same as the reid.

Who really cares about what pedals come with a bike. Almost all roadies ride clipless or atleast have a preferred style platform/strap combo.
__________________
2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
2000 litespeed Unicoi Ti, XTR,XT, Campy crank, time atac, carbon forks
catonec is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 08:16 PM
  #22  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
+1

I didnt look at this option but its worth it in my eyes. You'll be way less tempted to "upgrade" piece by piece in the future if you get better components now. Your bike may even hold some extra value if you decide this hobby isnt for you.

Aluminum bike frames are either 6000 series or 7000. 6061 makes for a great ride, light and stiff.

Giants aluxx is a 6000 tubing practically the same as the reid.

Who really cares about what pedals come with a bike. Almost all roadies ride clipless or atleast have a preferred style platform/strap combo.
yeah and the brakes seems alright, but i heard the alex rims and quando hubs are pretty ****ty?
k4k7uz is offline  
Old 02-17-13, 08:21 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
catonec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buffalo New York
Posts: 2,470
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We'll theres your first upgrade when the bug bites you. Ride them until theres an issue, Im sure they're just fine for now, Brand new and all.
__________________
2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
2000 litespeed Unicoi Ti, XTR,XT, Campy crank, time atac, carbon forks
catonec is offline  
Old 02-18-13, 12:31 AM
  #24  
we be rollin'
 
hybridbkrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,951
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
We'll theres your first upgrade when the bug bites you. Ride them until theres an issue, Im sure they're just fine for now, Brand new and all.
Yeah, it's a tough call to decide which one you want to upgrade later. You can be happy with either one or even less than that. I've been satisfied with $130 bicycles but thought more expensive bikes were more enjoyable. I've thought of the idea of building a cheap bike then putting on Tiagra or Deore on it or even buying a $350 or $400 bike and putting on Deore LX shifters and derailleurs (105 would be equivalent in road bikes). You can find new old stock real cheap sometimes.
hybridbkrdr is offline  
Old 02-18-13, 01:47 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
catonec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buffalo New York
Posts: 2,470
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
.... I've thought of the idea of building a cheap bike then putting on Tiagra or Deore on it or even buying a $350 or $400 bike and putting on Deore LX shifters and derailleurs (105 would be equivalent in road bikes). You can find new old stock real cheap sometimes.
Ebay is awesome for that. My current roadie is $5k+ to buy whole. I have just over 2 into it. I bought the fame new off ebay (1k) and slightly used components also ebay'd. Im riding full campy record/chorus 9 speed. The only brand new bits are my handlebars/tape/hoods, chain and cassette, tires, & cages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
small kestrel.jpg (48.6 KB, 12 views)
__________________
2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
2000 litespeed Unicoi Ti, XTR,XT, Campy crank, time atac, carbon forks
catonec is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.