Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Once you go Parrafin, You will never go back!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Once you go Parrafin, You will never go back!

Old 02-25-13, 02:16 PM
  #1  
Hbrown
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once you go Parrafin, You will never go back!

Came accross an article in which they compared several brands of chain lube. The comparison was pretty complete and Parrafin wax came out on top in every test. So always looking for any edge that I can get, I jumped headlong into getting everything that I would need to convert to Parrafin. I swore by Pro Lube for so many years I was disapointed to see it come in so low in the tests. I brought a wax warmer, a block of wax, and just for an even greater edge I brought a 2 ounce bottle of teflon resin. Last night I pulled the chains off of two of my bikes, thanks to KMC both chains use a missing link so disassembly was EZ. I cleaned them, then I cleaned them again. I set up the wax warmer broke off a few chunks and put them in it. Sat down watched tv and waited for the wax to melt, I looked at my calf saw the usual chain marks and tried to wipe them off. I then decided to clean my bikes, pulleys,and crank arms, when I finished the wax was all melted and clear. I added about 1 tblspn of teflon and stirred it in. I then placed both chains in the warmer and let them sit in it for about ten minutes. One thing that I did learn is that melted wax will splash much easier than water! So watch out for this!!! I removed the chains one by one , let them cool a little and pulled them through a rag , squeezing only the sides of the chain not the roller parts. I then installed them still warm , and spun my crank about two times and let it sit overnight. This morning I dressed, pumped up the tires looked at the chain, it had a slight haze on it, spun the crank and a small amount of wax flaked off, almost like wax dust. Spinning the crank by hand felt a little different to me, it was more smoother, more solid, just different. I then took my ride. WOW what a difference! I can't really put it to words but my crank felt more fluid, there was almost no noise from the chain , when I hit bumps, or pedaling! I did my usual morning 20, unclipped and was bringing the bike up the stairs, I lifted it up over my head and my white jersey hit the chain, I cursed loudly ,sat the bike down and looked at my jersey. THERE WERE NO CHAIN MARKS! I then looked at the chain, It looked exactly as it did when i left in the morning!!! I touched the chain and looked at my finger (NOTHING)!! No black on my fingers! I took the bike to my bike room an put it in the stand, grabbed a rag and started wiping it down, while still looking at the chain , I decided to wipe down the chain since it is gold. I always wipe it off after a ride. Last , because that is what you do. NO GREASE OR DIRT ON THE RAG!!!!! As if I wasn't sold already on Parrafin I looked at my Garmin and saw that I had dropped two minutes off of my normal time ! I think that the chain contributed to this! My speed at certain points on my corse was also up! I'm sold! It takes way longer to lube a chain with parrafin than just squirting something on a chain from a bottle and wiping it off. Believe me it is worth the extra inconvience! Parrafin!! Sometimes old technology Is better than new!
Hbrown is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 02:24 PM
  #2  
Cactuskid
Ride on!
 
Cactuskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 398

Bikes: 2013 TARMAC Expert, 2011 specialized roubaix SL3, 2012 Raleigh Rush hour FIXIE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swear by White Lightening lube, is just WAX and alcohol to make pliable, works great without all the bother you do
Cactuskid is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 02:44 PM
  #3  
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon
 
Wil Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nausea, New Hamster
Posts: 1,572

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh, but I did!and I did!

(see threads passim!)

- Wil
Wil Davis is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 02:44 PM
  #4  
ericm979
Senior Member
 
ericm979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains
Posts: 6,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
White Lightning did poorly in the test. I used it long ago for MTB and the drivetrain wore very quickly. I use it for pedals now, not chains.

I used wax for a while back in the 80s. It's ok but it's time consuming. Not a problem when one is single and living for cycling but with a family and more responsibilities, garage time is limited.

Waxing is cleaner but even with regular chain oil I don't seem to have a problem getting grease on things.
ericm979 is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 04:22 PM
  #5  
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I was watching the Oscars last night and Jeniffer Aniston and Channing Tatum were talking about getting waxed.
Looigi is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 05:08 PM
  #6  
DaveSSS 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 6,830

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 357 Posts
Wait until you're just a few miles into your ride and chain starts squeaking. A downside to wax is there is no warning, prior to the squeaking.
DaveSSS is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 05:25 PM
  #7  
RoadMike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I definitely went back to using Rock'n'Roll Gold. It's just so much easier, and better for riding in wet conditions.
RoadMike is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 05:32 PM
  #8  
E.S.
just ride
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 485

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that people get greasy chainring prints on themselves from using too much lube and not being careful when handling the bike (carry on the non-drive side...)
E.S. is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 09:57 PM
  #9  
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,575

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
White Lightning did poorly in the test. I used it long ago for MTB and the drivetrain wore very quickly. I use it for pedals now, not chains.

I used wax for a while back in the 80s. It's ok but it's time consuming. Not a problem when one is single and living for cycling but with a family and more responsibilities, garage time is limited.

Waxing is cleaner but even with regular chain oil I don't seem to have a problem getting grease on things.
Exactly right. YOu don't need oil on the outside of the chain, just inside where the rollers are. I use Chain-L and I have to lube about once every 1000 miles. With regular lubes (and waxes) it was about every 100 miles if picky and 200 miles if I let it go. I don't get any more grease or dirt mess now than I did then and I don't have to foil with waxes.

The other benefit I noticed with the Chain-L is that my chains are lasting longer too.

J.
JohnJ80 is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 10:30 PM
  #10  
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity
 
bikerjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,449

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm kind of interested in this as well. I read the same or similar review as the OP and paraffin was #1. My beloved RNR gold was a bit down the list (don't recall exactly off hand). So for those who have tried paraffin and given up, what specifically did you experience that would call into question the review?
bikerjp is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 10:37 PM
  #11  
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 9,054
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked 4,269 Times in 2,160 Posts
I did the paraffin thing in the '80's. Back then you could buy the tins of paraffin from places like Nashbar & Performance. After all the mess of heating the tin in a pan of water, and dipping the chain, then putting it back on the bike, it was good for one ride, then would start squeaking again.

Jobst Brandt on paraffin: "Paraffin (canning wax), although clean, works poorly because it is not mobile and cannot replenish the bearing surfaces once it has been displaced. This becomes apparent with any water that gets on the chain. It immediately squeaks."

Ref: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html
Shimagnolo is online now  
Old 02-25-13, 11:01 PM
  #12  
Hbrown
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that a lot of people are put off by the time it takes to use Parrafin, but after set up and a few use's the time will come down. I plan on rewaxing at least once every 3 weeks, but no longer than 4 weeks between cleanings. By letting it soak in the warmer and watching the air bubbles come out of the chain, insures that the wax is penetrating throughout the chain. My first impressions were great! I think my ride in the morning will completely seal the deal. Now I am wondering if I remove my cassette and chainrings soak them in parrfin wipe them off and polsh them out, then reasemble them, will they also shed dirt and grime?
Hbrown is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 11:08 PM
  #13  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
White Lightning did poorly in the test. I used it long ago for MTB and the drivetrain wore very quickly.

Can you quantify poorly? Last, bottom half, 10%???

ive always used white lighting but I live in a fairly dry area and apply it very regularly. It seems to work for me, but I'm open to change. Not having to apply it as often would be nice.
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 11:18 PM
  #14  
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity
 
bikerjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,449

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
I did the paraffin thing in the '80's. Back then you could buy the tins of paraffin from places like Nashbar & Performance. After all the mess of heating the tin in a pan of water, and dipping the chain, then putting it back on the bike, it was good for one ride, then would start squeaking again.

Jobst Brandt on paraffin: "Paraffin (canning wax), although clean, works poorly because it is not mobile and cannot replenish the bearing surfaces once it has been displaced. This becomes apparent with any water that gets on the chain. It immediately squeaks."

Ref: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html
A counter point comes from the velonews site discussing the findings.

"If I lived somewhere wet, and had to re-wax every few days, I’d give up on it. But out here I get a solid 1.5-2 weeks out of an application. That’s not so bad." - Velo tech editor Caley Fretz.

Not sure how many rides that would be but sounds like more than one. I guess I'll just have to try for myself and see but I agree the prep sounds like a pain.
bikerjp is offline  
Old 02-25-13, 11:35 PM
  #15  
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 10,474

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Holy block of text Batman! TL;DR!
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 02-26-13, 12:31 AM
  #16  
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,201
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 176 Posts
Paragraphs are your friend.
Stop touching the chain to your body.
When you ride farther than 20 you'll discover the problems with wax.
gregf83 is offline  
Old 02-26-13, 01:02 AM
  #17  
danvuquoc
Senior Member
 
danvuquoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain View, California
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Can you quantify poorly? Last, bottom half, 10%???

ive always used white lighting but I live in a fairly dry area and apply it very regularly. It seems to work for me, but I'm open to change. Not having to apply it as often would be nice.
Depends, they tested both White Lightning Epic Ride and White Lightning Wet Ride, neither of which are wax lubes. Epic ride scored dead last, and Wet Ride scored pretty well. Rock n Roll gold lube (my personal favorite) was within a hair of parrafin wax at second place.
danvuquoc is offline  
Old 02-26-13, 02:06 AM
  #18  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
white lightning is aweful.

homebrew is the best lube i've used. 3 to 1 engine spirits to engine oil
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  
Old 02-26-13, 02:09 AM
  #19  
abstractform20
Senior Member
 
abstractform20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hbrown View Post
Came accross an article in which they compared several brands of chain lube. The comparison was pretty complete and Parrafin wax came out on top in every test. So always looking for any edge that I can get, I jumped headlong into getting everything that I would need to convert to Parrafin. I swore by Pro Lube for so many years I was disapointed to see it come in so low in the tests. I brought a wax warmer, a block of wax, and just for an even greater edge I brought a 2 ounce bottle of teflon resin. Last night I pulled the chains off of two of my bikes, thanks to KMC both chains use a missing link so disassembly was EZ. I cleaned them, then I cleaned them again. I set up the wax warmer broke off a few chunks and put them in it. Sat down watched tv and waited for the wax to melt, I looked at my calf saw the usual chain marks and tried to wipe them off. I then decided to clean my bikes, pulleys,and crank arms, when I finished the wax was all melted and clear. I added about 1 tblspn of teflon and stirred it in. I then placed both chains in the warmer and let them sit in it for about ten minutes. One thing that I did learn is that melted wax will splash much easier than water! So watch out for this!!! I removed the chains one by one , let them cool a little and pulled them through a rag , squeezing only the sides of the chain not the roller parts. I then installed them still warm , and spun my crank about two times and let it sit overnight. This morning I dressed, pumped up the tires looked at the chain, it had a slight haze on it, spun the crank and a small amount of wax flaked off, almost like wax dust. Spinning the crank by hand felt a little different to me, it was more smoother, more solid, just different. I then took my ride. WOW what a difference! I can't really put it to words but my crank felt more fluid, there was almost no noise from the chain , when I hit bumps, or pedaling! I did my usual morning 20, unclipped and was bringing the bike up the stairs, I lifted it up over my head and my white jersey hit the chain, I cursed loudly ,sat the bike down and looked at my jersey. THERE WERE NO CHAIN MARKS! I then looked at the chain, It looked exactly as it did when i left in the morning!!! I touched the chain and looked at my finger (NOTHING)!! No black on my fingers! I took the bike to my bike room an put it in the stand, grabbed a rag and started wiping it down, while still looking at the chain , I decided to wipe down the chain since it is gold. I always wipe it off after a ride. Last , because that is what you do. NO GREASE OR DIRT ON THE RAG!!!!! As if I wasn't sold already on Parrafin I looked at my Garmin and saw that I had dropped two minutes off of my normal time ! I think that the chain contributed to this! My speed at certain points on my corse was also up! I'm sold! It takes way longer to lube a chain with parrafin than just squirting something on a chain from a bottle and wiping it off. Believe me it is worth the extra inconvience! Parrafin!! Sometimes old technology Is better than new!
dude, did you get really high before writing this?
abstractform20 is offline  
Old 02-26-13, 02:10 AM
  #20  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20 View Post
dude, did you get really high before writing this?
working with paraffin requires ventilation.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  
Old 02-26-13, 04:16 AM
  #21  
surgeonstone
Senior Member
 
surgeonstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South Bend IN
Posts: 11,218

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
The time I start doing all that for a bike chain will coincide with the second coming. I'll bet they did not even try wd40. The bias continues. The prejudice complete.
surgeonstone is offline  
Old 02-26-13, 04:56 AM
  #22  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
You're making me wax nostalgic.
__________________
https://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 02-26-13, 05:09 AM
  #23  
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,268

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Have been there and came back.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 02-26-13, 05:59 AM
  #24  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,714

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9609 Post(s)
Liked 3,156 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Have been there and came back.
Same here. Tried it a few times and found that I ride way too much to be soaking chains in wax every few days.
__________________
“Drip coffee is for people who hate themselves and know their lives have no purpose or meaning.” - Wednesday Addams







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 02-26-13, 07:23 AM
  #25  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danvuquoc View Post
Depends, they tested both White Lightning Epic Ride and White Lightning Wet Ride, neither of which are wax lubes. Epic ride scored dead last, and Wet Ride scored pretty well. Rock n Roll gold lube (my personal favorite) was within a hair of parrafin wax at second place.
Based off what criteria though? Application lenght, friction, chain wear?

odd they didn't test clean ride. Despite the "white lightning sucks" comments, I dont recall the last squeaking chain i had while using it. My guess is some people are applying it before rides, not after. Applying it after gives it time to set up. Once it does, it seems to react just like paraffin wax (the test winner)

regardless, I may try chain-l or rock n roll gold for comparison. White lightning isn't the best lube for long, wet rides.
thirdgenbird is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.