Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Skinsuits/speedsuits size questions (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/885870-skinsuits-speedsuits-size-questions.html)

island rider 04-24-13 10:03 AM

Skinsuits/speedsuits size questions
 
Anyone here own/use a skinsuit or a speed suit? (Yes I know they are two different things and have different uses.) I'm considering one (or both) but will have to order since nobody around here stocks them. My issue is that I am a Large to an XL in bibs and a Medium in race fit jerseys. Does anyone have recommendations for something that might actually fit? I'm thinking I might be screwed.

Lew. 04-24-13 10:09 AM

I think it's recommended to go for a medium in your case, would you be able to try it for size first?
And, what is the difference between skin and speed suits?

island rider 04-24-13 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by Lew. (Post 15547455)
I think it's recommended to go for a medium in your case, would you be able to try it for size first?
And, what is the difference between skin and speed suits?

The problem with trying is that nobody stocks them. I would need to order more than I need and pay for shipping back. No way a medium would work. My thighs would not fit through the leg-holes.

Skinsuits are the TT uniform. No pockets, etc. Speeduits will have pockets and be designed for road races etc.

Lew. 04-24-13 11:01 AM

Ah, I have a similar problem, but rather than my legs it's my chest that is really, really too tight in skinsuits etc.
I know in skinsuits, people recommend to go with your torso (atleast I've seen others say to do so).
It sounds like you've already made your mind up with the large, if you don't want a medium.

THSdrummer 04-24-13 11:03 AM

I wear medium race-cut jerseys and large/XL bibs, so I'm interested to know as well.

Does Competitive Cyclist charge for shipping back to them? I thought they did not. They'd be great to order from since they have an unconditional return policy. It is also free shipping on orders over $50 as well.

caloso 04-24-13 11:18 AM

I know that they are all different, as are all of our bodies, so take it for what it's worth.

My team kit is Hincapie. I wear a large jersey and medium bibs. When I decided to get a skin suit I ordered a medium, mostly because I was worried the legs would be too long. I chose wrong. I can barely get the thing over my shoulders.

grolby 04-24-13 11:40 AM

"Speed suit" isn't actually a category of cycling garment. It's the term Castelli uses for a skin suit. If you check their website or catalog, you'll find that their standard TT skin suits are all called "speed suits." What you are thinking of when you say speed suit is specifically Castelli's San Remo Speed Suit, which is a pair of bibs sewn into a jersey to create a one-piece garment kind of like a skin suit, but with pockets and a full-zip front. If there are other products out there like this, I'm not aware of them, but it would be interesting to know.

ANYWAY. I actually do have a San Remo Speed Suit. Love it. I also have a normal skin suit from Giordana. I don't have sizing challenges (I'm S across the board) so I can't be specifically helpful, but I would suggest going with the larger of your sizes, but would even more strongly suggest trying one on first. Larger on the bottom is probably the better situation to have, for what that's worth.

island rider 04-24-13 12:05 PM


Originally Posted by Lew. (Post 15547702)
It sounds like you've already made your mind up with the large, if you don't want a medium.

Only because I've had issues with circulation being cut off with size large and XL stuff, let alone mediums. Big thighs.


Originally Posted by THSdrummer (Post 15547715)
I wear medium race-cut jerseys and large/XL bibs, so I'm interested to know as well.

I'll keep you posted. Competitive cyclist has been my source for things like this before, I will order a bunch of stuff and send back what doesn't fit. I can't remember if I pay for shipping back, but I think so. My jerseys are tight as hell in the chest (but not constricting), the sleeves bunch up in the depression between my biceps and shoulders generally but all in all I like the mediums because that's the only way I can avoid having fabric flapping around my stomach (or having the pockets sag). I have some large bibs that come real close to being constricting from my hips down.


Originally Posted by caloso (Post 15547783)
My team kit is Hincapie. I wear a large jersey and medium bibs. When I decided to get a skin suit I ordered a medium, mostly because I was worried the legs would be too long. I chose wrong. I can barely get the thing over my shoulders.

You probably have a longer torso than I do. My issues are more circumference.


Originally Posted by grolby (Post 15547871)
"Speed suit" isn't actually a category of cycling garment. It's the term Castelli uses for a skin suit. If you check their website or catalog, you'll find that their standard TT skin suits are all called "speed suits." What you are thinking of when you say speed suit is specifically Castelli's San Remo Speed Suit, which is a pair of bibs sewn into a jersey to create a one-piece garment kind of like a skin suit, but with pockets and a full-zip front. If there are other products out there like this, I'm not aware of them, but it would be interesting to know.

ANYWAY. I actually do have a San Remo Speed Suit. Love it. I also have a normal skin suit from Giordana. I don't have sizing challenges (I'm S across the board) so I can't be specifically helpful, but I would suggest going with the larger of your sizes, but would even more strongly suggest trying one on first. Larger on the bottom is probably the better situation to have, for what that's worth.

You're exactly right. That's what I was looking at. I thought the cross and tri style suits were called speed suits and had pockets too, but I have no idea where I got that information.

I may order the san remo from CC to see what it's all about. As for the skinuits, I'm hoping that hincappie, as it seems to be cut more on the larger side, while still not being billowy, might work.

David Broon 04-24-13 12:08 PM

I'd say got with a large, and get friendly with a tailor?

island rider 04-24-13 12:25 PM


Originally Posted by David Broon (Post 15547998)
I'd say got with a large, and get friendly with a tailor?

Have you tried that? I can only imagine walking into a tailor and asking them to modify flatlock stiching on a lycra cycling skinsuit designed to minimize drag. I have a hard enough time getting them to properly take in pants and jackets. 42-46 chest and 31-33 waist and thighs and glutes that can't fit into anything but relaxed fit jeans...

David Broon 04-24-13 05:13 PM


Originally Posted by island rider (Post 15548058)
Have you tried that? I can only imagine walking into a tailor and asking them to modify flatlock stiching on a lycra cycling skinsuit designed to minimize drag. I have a hard enough time getting them to properly take in pants and jackets. 42-46 chest and 31-33 waist and thighs and glutes that can't fit into anything but relaxed fit jeans...

A member of my club owns a rather large cycling clothing manufacturer, so I managed to get it done that way.

island rider 04-24-13 07:20 PM


Originally Posted by David Broon (Post 15549185)
A member of my club owns a rather large cycling clothing manufacturer, so I managed to get it done that way.

So, you gonna get me a hook-up?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.