Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fsa Slk crank into bb90 Trek Madone

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fsa Slk crank into bb90 Trek Madone

Reply

Old 04-24-13, 07:07 PM
  #1  
dackms2001
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fsa Slk crank into bb90 Trek Madone

Just bought a 53/39 fsa slk carbon crank. The instruction sheet from trek shows I just need the bearings with the shields on them. I have currently ceramic bearings with shields already. Since the fsa slk carbon crank and my current 105 crank are both 24mm all the way through spindles I should be good with installing with no other parts needed?
dackms2001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 07:50 PM
  #2  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,599
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
You should be good but you may need a thin spacer or two to set up the preload properly with wavewasher.
Campag4life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 08:02 PM
  #3  
dackms2001
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are these wave washers pretty available at my local bike shop?
dackms2001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 08:47 PM
  #4  
99Klein 
Senior Member
 
99Klein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 1,089

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
They should be. Pretty common part but you'll may have to get it from the shop guys.
99Klein is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 06:12 AM
  #5  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,599
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dackms2001 View Post
Are these wave washers pretty available at my local bike shop?
As stated, they are pretty available...std. 24mm ID wavewasher...again you may need 1-2mm shim spacers...one or two.
105 cranks don't use wave washers. This is because the left is laterally adjustable unlike the FSA crank which uses a wavewasher to take up the axial play. But...that wavewasher needs to be slightly depressed.
Campag4life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 09:09 PM
  #6  
dackms2001
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think im running into a problem now that ive called fsa. Appears my current crank spindle (105) is 110mm in length. The fsa crank spindle is 120mm. My questions are can I remove the spindle from the crank and have professionally machined to match size or will shims/spacers fix this difference?
dackms2001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 05:51 AM
  #7  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,599
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dackms2001 View Post
I think im running into a problem now that ive called fsa. Appears my current crank spindle (105) is 110mm in length. The fsa crank spindle is 120mm. My questions are can I remove the spindle from the crank and have professionally machined to match size or will shims/spacers fix this difference?
Nooooooooooo...don't machine it there brother.
Spacers. Look for FSA service manual on line PDF to determine proper installation. Call FSA as you mention. They may be able to send you a spacer kit + wavewasher.
Let us know how it goes.
Campag4life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 06:00 AM
  #8  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,215

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Nooooooooooo...don't machine it there brother.
Spacers. Look for FSA service manual on line PDF to determine proper installation. Call FSA as you mention. They may be able to send you a spacer kit + wavewasher.
Let us know how it goes.
Just wondering, is it possible that using the specific FSA bearing/cup set with the FSA crank would obviate the problem automatically without the need for spacers? Doesn't FSA make a BB bearing set model for his BB shell intended to work with the FSA length crank spindle? Or it could be spacers. Spacers would be good too.
rpenmanparker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 06:13 AM
  #9  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,599
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
Just wondering, is it possible that using the specific FSA bearing/cup set with the FSA crank would obviate the problem automatically without the need for spacers? Doesn't FSA make a BB bearing set model for his BB shell intended to work with the FSA length crank spindle? Or it could be spacers. Spacers would be good too.
Trek BB90 is fussy as to what bearing cups it will accept. Best to call FSA if spacing isn't answered in tech manual PDF's posted on line for just about all cranks out there.
Campag4life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 06:26 AM
  #10  
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina
 
Bob Dopolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,112

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Trek BB90 is fussy as to what bearing cups it will accept. Best to call FSA if spacing isn't answered in tech manual PDF's posted on line for just about all cranks out there.
Isn't it just the Shimano PF spec? 90mm shell width with 24mm spindle dia? There are BB's available for that exact set up.
__________________
BDop Cycling Company Ltd.: bdopcycling.com, facebook

BDop DEALERS Site: dealers-bdopcycling.com
Bob Dopolina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 07:50 AM
  #11  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,599
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
Isn't it just the Shimano PF spec? 90mm shell width with 24mm spindle dia? There are BB's available for that exact set up.
Yup...OP needs the right cups for PF30...but whether he obtains FSA speciifc PF30...or the PF30 cups and bearings in his BB90 right now...which should be the same spacing, spacing difference between 105 and SLK crank will still need to be tuned with spacers.
Campag4life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 08:11 AM
  #12  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,215

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Yup...OP needs the right cups for PF30...but whether he obtains FSA speciifc PF30...or the PF30 cups and bearings in his BB90 right now...which should be the same spacing, spacing difference between 105 and SLK crank will still need to be tuned with spacers.
Okay, I just thought if FSA knew they were making a longer spindle, they would incorporate the spacers right into their cups. Goes to show all is not rational.
rpenmanparker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 10:15 AM
  #13  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,599
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
Okay, I just thought if FSA knew they were making a longer spindle, they would incorporate the spacers right into their cups. Goes to show all is not rational.
Don't think so on a couple of levels. Reason is...BB90 in the industry is a bit of an outliar. There is also Cervelo BB86 with their particular spacing. Also FSA wouldn't want to shoot themselves in the foot for so called regular PF30. Also, their long spindle crank is primarily directed to outboard bearing BB's and not the small subset of BB90's out there on high end Treks. Spacers are cheap and easy and add versatility to std. PF30 bushings which can be applied to many different applications. Last issue is...you don't want to move bearings outboard. Bearing are strongest well within the press of push in cups.
Campag4life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 10:39 AM
  #14  
dackms2001
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Don't think so on a couple of levels. Reason is...BB90 in the industry is a bit of an outliar. There is also Cervelo BB86 with their particular spacing. Also FSA wouldn't want to shoot themselves in the foot for so called regular PF30. Also, their long spindle crank is primarily directed to outboard bearing BB's and not the small subset of BB90's out there on high end Treks. Spacers are cheap and easy and add versatility to std. PF30 bushings which can be applied to many different applications. Last issue is...you don't want to move bearings outboard. Bearing are strongest well within the press of push in cups.
I talked to fsa and they suggested shims. However the fsa crank I bought is 2007 model. Fsa changed spindle length in 2009 from 120mm to 110mm to fit bb90 pressfit. Can I shim it enough to cover the .39 inches?
dackms2001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 12:29 PM
  #15  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,599
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dackms2001 View Post
I talked to fsa and they suggested shims. However the fsa crank I bought is 2007 model. Fsa changed spindle length in 2009 from 120mm to 110mm to fit bb90 pressfit. Can I shim it enough to cover the .39 inches?
10mm = .39 inches is indeed quite a bit. But...it maybe workable. What I suggest is you need to factor in chainline. What I would do is try to replicate the chainline of your 105 crank if you found shifting to be good. If so...measure the distance from the small ring wall to the inside of the left crank arm of your 105 crank. Then recreate this distance with spacers on the left non drive side. If this doesn't quite equal 10mm, you may need a shim or two on the drive side. So you will have to figure out if you need spacers on both sides of the spindle to get proper chainline. I would be a bit surprised if all spacers go on either side but I am unfamilar with that spindle length.
An important point is you need proper wavewasher compression. This is approx. 1/2 the free standing height of a wave washer laying on a table top.
Good luck.
Campag4life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 03:51 PM
  #16  
dackms2001
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
10mm = .39 inches is indeed quite a bit. But...it maybe workable. What I suggest is you need to factor in chainline. What I would do is try to replicate the chainline of your 105 crank if you found shifting to be good. If so...measure the distance from the small ring wall to the inside of the left crank arm of your 105 crank. Then recreate this distance with spacers on the left non drive side. If this doesn't quite equal 10mm, you may need a shim or two on the drive side. So you will have to figure out if you need spacers on both sides of the spindle to get proper chainline. I would be a bit surprised if all spacers go on either side but I am unfamilar with that spindle length.
An important point is you need proper wavewasher compression. This is approx. 1/2 the free standing height of a wave washer laying on a table top.
Good luck.
The crazy thing I just got the 07 fsa slk crank and the spindle is Exactly the same as shimano. 110mm length and 24mm dia. Fits like a glove (except a 1mm spacer on drive side for the chain line) talk about lucky. Tech at fsa said wouldnt work.
dackms2001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 04:01 PM
  #17  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,599
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dackms2001 View Post
The crazy thing I just got the 07 fsa slk crank and the spindle is Exactly the same as shimano. 110mm length and 24mm dia. Fits like a glove (except a 1mm spacer on drive side for the chain line) talk about lucky. Tech at fsa said wouldnt work.
Cool.
Campag4life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 08:09 PM
  #18  
dackms2001
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Cool.
Heck yeahyit is! Just a bit curious to why this doesnt match the 2007 spec sheet but matches the 2009 re spec. Going to lbs tomorrow for some adjustments. Its kinda a mutt right now with dura ace front derailleur 105 rear fsa cull carbon crank. Any suggestions to what upgrades next?
dackms2001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 10:11 PM
  #19  
BigJeff
Senior Member
 
BigJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a similar issue using a FSA SLK light crank on a PF86/BB86, the biek had Shimano bb86 cups and while I tried all sorts of different shim/washer configs, I eventually bought the FSA PF86/91/92 BB and it fixed everything.

Sigh.... they made their cranks different just slightly... but they're different.
BigJeff is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service