Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Wheels (video)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Wheels (video)

Old 05-12-13, 08:36 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 2,275

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Wheels (video)

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Wheels (video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w24il...ature=youtu.be Does anyone have experience with this wheel set ?
xoxoxoxoLive is offline  
Old 05-13-13, 06:46 AM
  #2  
hmm..
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: RVA
Posts: 305
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a set of them. I'd say the video is pretty accurate, but I wouldn't recommend the wheelset. It's been great for me, but the only shortcoming is that if you break a spoke, you have to get the specific bladed spoke which most shops do not carry, so you'll be waiting on shipping delivery instead of riding.

They've stayed true,I've never had to tension them, and the rear hub has to be removed every 1,000 miles or so and the pawls have to be oiled.
Smiziley is offline  
Old 05-13-13, 07:46 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 2,275

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Smiziley
I've got a set of them. I'd say the video is pretty accurate, but I wouldn't recommend the wheelset. It's been great for me, but the only shortcoming is that if you break a spoke, you have to get the specific bladed spoke which most shops do not carry, so you'll be waiting on shipping delivery instead of riding.

They've stayed true,I've never had to tension them, and the rear hub has to be removed every 1,000 miles or so and the pawls have to be oiled.
Thanks for the heads up on the oiling, had heard the same thing. Wished I had put that in the video, forgot till I read your post.
xoxoxoxoLive is offline  
Old 05-13-13, 08:25 AM
  #4  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,651

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,840 Times in 1,106 Posts
I've got a set of the new '13 Ksyrium Equipe S wheels, fitted with the Mavic Yksion Comp tires, and it's a combo that I'm really enjoying. The wheels seem to be a little faster than my round spoked, radial front/2x cross rear Velocity Aeroheats, but that's just an impression, and I've not done any testing or even back-to-back comparisons to attempt to verify that.

The vid notes a wheel weight of 1580g and a 200lb combined bike/rider weight maximum, but when I look at the Mavic site, I only see the Equipe S listed at 1690g and no weight limit. The front wheel in the vid looks different than the pictured '13 ES front on the Mavic site, so maybe that info is for an older model? https://www.mavic.com/en/product/whee...quipe-S#325781

I've only had mine a few months, though, and only put maybe 300 miles on them. I'm 230lbs, have an FTP of 300w, and ride Michigan's notoriously crumbling roads over hilly terrain, so these wheels have not had the easiest life thus far, however. I don't mention any of this to brag, just to make it clear that I'm not talking from the perspective of a 150lb rec rider from Florida! Yet, despite my oversized mass, they feel stiff and fresh, and are true and quiet (ignoring the freewheel ratcheting, which within my range of wheel experience, is medium loud).

I was worried about durability going with some of the sub 1600g wheel sets, so that was a driving factor in picking up these, and so far, I'm delighted with the buy. Combined with the performance of the Yksion Comp tires, I think these have been a great value.

EDIT: I should add, I don't mean any respect to FL cyclists, just that flat, good condition roads under lighter riders is less stressful on wheels than hillclimbing on rough roads under fat riders like me!

Last edited by chaadster; 05-13-13 at 08:31 AM.
chaadster is offline  
Old 05-13-13, 10:43 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Fox Farm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Posts: 2,754

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I have a set of their slightly older model with the round spokes, non bladed. They were purchased new as a set for $260 in 2006. Never been trued since the day I began to ride them. They are laterally stiff, but not a race or racy feeling wheel. I think that they are in the 1700 or so gram range for the pair. I commute with them and they are fine wheels in my opinion.
Fox Farm is offline  
Old 05-13-13, 11:56 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 2,275

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I've got a set of the new '13 Ksyrium Equipe S wheels, fitted with the Mavic Yksion Comp tires, and it's a combo that I'm really enjoying. The wheels seem to be a little faster than my round spoked, radial front/2x cross rear Velocity Aeroheats, but that's just an impression, and I've not done any testing or even back-to-back comparisons to attempt to verify that.

The vid notes a wheel weight of 1580g and a 200lb combined bike/rider weight maximum, but when I look at the Mavic site, I only see the Equipe S listed at 1690g and no weight limit. The front wheel in the vid looks different than the pictured '13 ES front on the Mavic site, so maybe that info is for an older model? https://www.mavic.com/en/product/whee...quipe-S#325781

I've only had mine a few months, though, and only put maybe 300 miles on them. I'm 230lbs, have an FTP of 300w, and ride Michigan's notoriously crumbling roads over hilly terrain, so these wheels have not had the easiest life thus far, however. I don't mention any of this to brag, just to make it clear that I'm not talking from the perspective of a 150lb rec rider from Florida! Yet, despite my oversized mass, they feel stiff and fresh, and are true and quiet (ignoring the freewheel ratcheting, which within my range of wheel experience, is medium loud).

I was worried about durability going with some of the sub 1600g wheel sets, so that was a driving factor in picking up these, and so far, I'm delighted with the buy. Combined with the performance of the Yksion Comp tires, I think these have been a great value.

EDIT: I should add, I don't mean any respect to FL cyclists, just that flat, good condition roads under lighter riders is less stressful on wheels than hillclimbing on rough roads under fat riders like me!
There the same front wheel just checked again, mine are just in white. I talked with Mavic a few weeks ago, and they said nothing has changed since 2011. Just dropped a color, I think silver and added white. Far as the weight limit I'm 230 also, they really didn't say what the weight limit was. I read it on a link that is no longer is there.. Humm .. and the LBS says there is no problem. And your right there 1690g , mistake on my part. I'm really glad to see the positive reviews, I was worried after reading the weight limit. (That's Gone) LOL
xoxoxoxoLive is offline  
Old 05-14-13, 03:40 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
LarryMelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 638
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Smiziley
the rear hub has to be removed every 1,000 miles or so and the pawls have to be oiled.
There are a couple of YouTube videos that claim to show this procedure. However, the videos are for a higher level of Mavic wheel with a two-piece axle. For the lower-end wheels such as Aksium and Ksyrium Equipe, with a one-piece axle, the instructions in the Mavic Technical Manual say this:

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE NEW MAVIC HUBS : THE EXPANDABLE BEARING SUPPORT AXLE
In 2004, Mavic has applied its high-end FTS-L free wheel body concept to the entire wheel range (except Speedcity) by developing a new axle system called " expandable bearing support axle ".
This new axle has been applied to the Cosmos, Ksyrium Equipe, Crossland, Crossmax Enduro and Crossmax Enduro Disc wheels, on both the front and rear wheels.
Therefore, the hubs on these wheels use the same mounting and removal procedures.
The special feature of these hubs lies in a specific part called the " expandable bearing support ", which ensures the interface between the bearing and axle. When the
axle is tightened, this support " inflates ", and prevents the hub from getting loose.
Consequently, these expandable bearing supports are to be used only ONCE and must be replaced every time the axle is removed, whether the bearings are replaced or not.
LarryMelman is offline  
Old 05-14-13, 04:32 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 2,275

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryMelman
There are a couple of YouTube videos that claim to show this procedure. However, the videos are for a higher level of Mavic wheel with a two-piece axle. For the lower-end wheels such as Aksium and Ksyrium Equipe, with a one-piece axle, the instructions in the Mavic Technical Manual say this:
Thanks for sharing that, I left the owners manual etc. at the shop where purchased. I'm going to stop by there tomorrow. Thanks again ..
xoxoxoxoLive is offline  
Old 05-14-13, 06:21 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
LarryMelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 638
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
The manual that came with my wheels (Ksyrium Equipe 2008 model) only says to clean and grease the skewer, and how to keep the wheels clean. For actual maintenance procedures, you need the manual from www.tech-mavic.com. And, you need to know what year Mavic first introduced your type of wheel. Like I said, for my wheels, the 2004 manual has all the info I need.

And, FWIW, my mechanic says he has never replaced the "expandable bearing supports". But Mavic seems quite clear about the need to do it.
LarryMelman is offline  
Old 05-14-13, 06:26 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
LarryMelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 638
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Here are the videos that show what the freehub body and the pawls look like. But these wheels have a two-piece axle, and do NOT have the "expandable supports". I posted comments about this to both videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWaMPG8HDYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5arUG3iy0Q
LarryMelman is offline  
Old 05-15-13, 02:52 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 2,275

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryMelman
The manual that came with my wheels (Ksyrium Equipe 2008 model) only says to clean and grease the skewer, and how to keep the wheels clean. For actual maintenance procedures, you need the manual from www.tech-mavic.com. And, you need to know what year Mavic first introduced your type of wheel. Like I said, for my wheels, the 2004 manual has all the info I need.

And, FWIW, my mechanic says he has never replaced the "expandable bearing supports". But Mavic seems quite clear about the need to do it.
Thanks for all your info again, mine are 2012's that were still hanging in there shop. I was told the only difference in 2013 was it came with a tire.
xoxoxoxoLive is offline  
Old 05-15-13, 04:26 PM
  #12  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,651

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,840 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by xoxoxoxoLive
Thanks for all your info again, mine are 2012's that were still hanging in there shop. I was told the only difference in 2013 was it came with a tire.
At least one, apparently, cosmetic difference, too: the white '13s have white covers on the outer front hub, whereas the '12s are black. That's what I was referring to earlier when I said the ones in the vid looked like an older model (i.e. not 2013).
chaadster is offline  
Old 05-15-13, 06:04 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xoxoxoxoLive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 2,275

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
At least one, apparently, cosmetic difference, too: the white '13s have white covers on the outer front hub, whereas the '12s are black. That's what I was referring to earlier when I said the ones in the vid looked like an older model (i.e. not 2013).
Oh, okay, I thought mine were 2013 when I purchased them. Found out later that they were 2012, and far as working parts go, they are the same back to 2011. I called Mavic to confirm this. It's my understanding you have to purchase the equipe s clincher, which comes with the tires now.
xoxoxoxoLive is offline  
Old 05-15-13, 06:41 PM
  #14  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,651

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,840 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by xoxoxoxoLive
Oh, okay, I thought mine were 2013 when I purchased them. Found out later that they were 2012, and far as working parts go, they are the same back to 2011. I called Mavic to confirm this. It's my understanding you have to purchase the equipe s clincher, which comes with the tires now.
Yes, that's my understanding, too, and that tire, the Yksion Comp I referred to earlier, is really quite a nice performing tire. It feels comfy and fast, and it's decidedly light, if only a 23mm. I haven't had the occasion to really crank them over in a turn yet, but I won't worry about them when I do, which will probably be this weekend, when my club goes to ride down in Bloomington, IN.
chaadster is offline  
Old 05-15-13, 08:22 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
IcySmooth52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Portland, ME
Posts: 1,620
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding '12 Ksyrium Equipes on my Fuji "Raven" for over a year now. Excellently balanced wheelset! Rides nice and smooth, but it can pick up speed really nice, and I've never doubted taking a turn at a speed where I have to lean more than 45° into it. (I've run Mavic Yksion Grip/PowerLink and Continental Attack/Force combos).

For a wheelset you want to be able to leave on your bike through training AND race-day, Ksyriums are it.
IcySmooth52 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Nosfour
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
8
09-13-14 05:13 PM
Jed19
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
25
08-27-14 07:16 AM
jimmyw
Road Cycling
14
05-26-12 06:23 PM
pgjackson
Road Cycling
20
06-12-11 04:58 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.