Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

carbon clincher wheelset

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

carbon clincher wheelset

Old 07-29-13, 12:59 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chil2makefun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Berlare, Belgium
Posts: 331

Bikes: Provex (centaur carbon) 2009 - cube litening super hpc race 2013

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
carbon clincher wheelset

I did a quick search and didn't really find what i was looking for. (if there is a thread like this feel free to post a link)
So i'm looking for a carbon clincher wheelset around the €1000 point ($1300)
but i'm having problems choosing. Do i go for an alloy braketrack or not? Because i don't really know how big the heating issue still is today. Weight isn't really a factor.
I was thinking about the zipp 60's but the reynolds assault's might be good too...
Any suggestions or experiences are most welcome.

Grtz
chil2makefun is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 01:10 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's my understanding that carbon wheels will definitely explode after 5000 km. ;-)

Kurt
ktate49 is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 01:22 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
seymour1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 2,792
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
60mm $1450 https://www.boydcycling.com/products/60mm-clincher.html

58MM $1099 https://www.williamscycling.com/Wheel...cher_p_42.html
seymour1910 is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 01:24 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
seymour1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 2,792
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
okay, just saw where you are located....don't know about shipping to there.
seymour1910 is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 01:44 PM
  #5  
gc3
Falls Downalot
 
gc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 3,103

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get in line for the November Rail 52s....they also have a UK distributor....
gc3 is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 01:54 PM
  #6  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
Get in line for the November Rail 52s....they also have a UK distributor....
I was about to bring these up. I have a pair due to arrive Friday.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 02:18 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chil2makefun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Berlare, Belgium
Posts: 331

Bikes: Provex (centaur carbon) 2009 - cube litening super hpc race 2013

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and how's the heat resistance on for example boyd, williams or novmeber?
chil2makefun is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 02:31 PM
  #8  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by chil2makefun
and how's the heat resistance on for example boyd, williams or novmeber?
All reports are that the Rail is great, though I don't have first-hand experience yet. Their statements during development are certainly extremely promising.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 02:34 PM
  #9  
Boyd Cycling owner
 
coachboyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 414
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chil2makefun
and how's the heat resistance on for example boyd, williams or novmeber?
I can't speak for the other two, although I know they have taken steps for heat resistance. On ours it was our primary concern which is why it took about 14 months of development to release the rims.

No carbon clincher is "indestructible" and in all of the wheels we have sold for 2013 models we have had one failure. It was a 2.5 mile 10% average gradient downhill. The rider was just north of 200 pounds and the air temps were right at 90degrees F. Normal descent times for this are around the 3:40 to 4:00 minute range with an average speed of 34-36mph. It's a fairly wide open climb with no real switchbacks.
In this case the rider rode his brakes the entire way down the hill. He ended up averaging 16.7 mph (on a 10% downhill!), with a prolonged section averaging 12mph. After 9 minutes of this the rear wheel finally started to bow outward a little bit, initially he thought the wheel may have just been out of true. The front was perfectly fine still (we inspected it) and he was able to ride home.

I have a feeling even the carbon clinchers that say it's impossible to destroy them with heat would have suffered the same fate. We always want people to be knowledgeable about their equipment and it's proper uses, but I would say our new stuff is right up there with the best.
coachboyd is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 02:34 PM
  #10  
burp
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 184
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
love my HED Jet Express
oespinoza83 is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 02:58 PM
  #11  
gc3
Falls Downalot
 
gc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 3,103

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chil2makefun
and how's the heat resistance on for example boyd, williams or novmeber?
ought to be good enough for all those mountains in Belgium....
gc3 is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 03:09 PM
  #12  
You rode how far???
 
GamecockTaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 579

Bikes: '96 Trek 830; 06 Cervelo Soloist, 06 Scott Scale 70, 2013 Cervelo S2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I was about to bring these up. I have a pair due to arrive Friday.

when did you order yours? Still waiting on word on mine... I am in the "almost in stock" portion of the sale.
GamecockTaco is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 03:18 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chil2makefun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Berlare, Belgium
Posts: 331

Bikes: Provex (centaur carbon) 2009 - cube litening super hpc race 2013

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coachboyd
I can't speak for the other two, although I know they have taken steps for heat resistance. On ours it was our primary concern which is why it took about 14 months of development to release the rims.

No carbon clincher is "indestructible" and in all of the wheels we have sold for 2013 models we have had one failure. It was a 2.5 mile 10% average gradient downhill. The rider was just north of 200 pounds and the air temps were right at 90degrees F. Normal descent times for this are around the 3:40 to 4:00 minute range with an average speed of 34-36mph. It's a fairly wide open climb with no real switchbacks.
In this case the rider rode his brakes the entire way down the hill. He ended up averaging 16.7 mph (on a 10% downhill!), with a prolonged section averaging 12mph. After 9 minutes of this the rear wheel finally started to bow outward a little bit, initially he thought the wheel may have just been out of true. The front was perfectly fine still (we inspected it) and he was able to ride home.

I have a feeling even the carbon clinchers that say it's impossible to destroy them with heat would have suffered the same fate. We always want people to be knowledgeable about their equipment and it's proper uses, but I would say our new stuff is right up there with the best.
thanks, this really makes me more comfortable taking the leap. I know there isn't a single wheel out there that's indestructable but you get my point

Originally Posted by gc3
ought to be good enough for all those mountains in Belgium....
Don't think so, most of the hills around here are made of cobles so these will be a job for my sturdy alloys
chil2makefun is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 03:24 PM
  #14  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by GamecockTaco
when did you order yours? Still waiting on word on mine... I am in the "almost in stock" portion of the sale.
Yours should be up soon... I was the second-to-last in the main pre-order, and I got my tracking number early this morning. It's currently sitting at the UPS store.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 03:26 PM
  #15  
You rode how far???
 
GamecockTaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 579

Bikes: '96 Trek 830; 06 Cervelo Soloist, 06 Scott Scale 70, 2013 Cervelo S2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yours should be up soon... I was the second-to-last in the main pre-order, and I got my tracking number early this morning. It's currently sitting at the UPS store.
SWEET! thanks for the update. I'm tired of patiently waiting... ready to ride those suckers!
GamecockTaco is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 03:26 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
KantoBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 749
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/...ncher_wheelset

Myself: I bought a pair of 38mm deep, 21mm wide clinchers from CarbonZone. $450USD.

Last edited by KantoBoy; 07-29-13 at 03:38 PM.
KantoBoy is offline  
Old 07-29-13, 03:51 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chil2makefun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Berlare, Belgium
Posts: 331

Bikes: Provex (centaur carbon) 2009 - cube litening super hpc race 2013

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KantoBoy
https://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/...ncher_wheelset

Myself: I bought a pair of 38mm deep, 21mm wide clinchers from CarbonZone. $450USD.
a friend had some bad experiences with planet X
chil2makefun is offline  
Old 07-30-13, 07:05 PM
  #18  
pmt
Experienced
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,039
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tons of brand-new good ones on eBay for $500 from reputable sellers. I think there's a whole thread on here about that somewhere.
pmt is offline  
Old 07-31-13, 09:02 AM
  #19  
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 31,412

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 829 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by chil2makefun

Don't think so, most of the hills around here are made of cobles so these will be a job for my sturdy alloys
Take a look at what Pro's ride in the Ronde.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Old 07-31-13, 09:08 AM
  #20  
gc3
Falls Downalot
 
gc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 3,103

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yours should be up soon... I was the second-to-last in the main pre-order, and I got my tracking number early this morning. It's currently sitting at the UPS store.
so...where's the review?
gc3 is offline  
Old 07-31-13, 09:49 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,608

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I have basically beaten the snot out of a set of Farsports 50MM carbon clinchers with alloy braking (FSC-50) this year as everyday wheels and they have held up extremely well. The roads around here are absolutely terrible and these are very light wheels (~1.5Kg) for this type. The fact that I weigh only about 145 lbs may have something to do with this, but I'd say carbon wheels can be plenty durable.
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 07-31-13, 10:28 AM
  #22  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
so...where's the review?
Two days out to arrival, being as they were sitting at the UPS store in Laurel, MD, ready for shipment to me. I'll race them in my tri on Sunday. Slow your roll.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-31-13, 11:36 AM
  #23  
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 31,412

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 829 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Slow your roll.
I thought the idea was to speed up your roll.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Old 07-31-13, 11:45 AM
  #24  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I thought the idea was to speed up your roll.
Really? I thought deep carbon wheels were all about fashion.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-31-13, 12:58 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
chil2makefun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Berlare, Belgium
Posts: 331

Bikes: Provex (centaur carbon) 2009 - cube litening super hpc race 2013

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Take a look at what Pro's ride in the Ronde.
i know they do use carbon rims but if they trash a set in one race they don't care and get a new one... i don't

I sent some e-mails and turns out, the rail 52 set is crazy expensive when i order from the uk distributor
chil2makefun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.