Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Church of Cycling

Old 11-05-13, 05:12 PM
  #1  
shyonelung 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shyonelung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Healdsburg & Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 433

Bikes: 1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Church of Cycling

I'm not nearly the serious rider that many of you are. I got myself a nice bike and I try to put in 3-4 rides a week, minimum distance about 15 miles. I don't ride in inclement weather because I'm a wuss. I crawl up hills and I coast more than I'm supposed to.

Today, I had to bring my car in for repairs -- about 20 miles from my house. There's a very nice, well-marked bike route pretty much from where my car repair guy is all the way back to my town. It's mostly flat, though traffic can be heavy and scary in places -- big wine-country trucks whizzing by at 45-plus and along part of the route, lots of stoplights and turn-ins. But once you get passed all that stuff, there's a really great stretch that gets more and more rural with each mile. It's a fine ride when you're trying to get your legs under you at the beginning of the season. Anyway, I did about 30 miles on Sunday with some friends and it was the first really cold day of the year. The wind was blowing us all over the road. I over-dressed today thinking it would be the same, but of course, it was sunny and 73 degrees with just a slight headwind.

So, I get on the road and start pedaling back and I'm sweating of course because I have jersey on and a base layer and leg warmers (which I was too lazy to strip off). But I get to the cool part around the 12-mile mark. Suddenly, I'm totally zoning out. It's me, the bike, my heart beat, the rhythm of the pedaling and NOTHING else. It was weird and kinda cool and, I have to say, truly beautiful. It was like that for 2-3 minutes -- which is where I realized that I had tears running down my cheeks. Reminded me of something a friend once said to me on a bike ride, that she thinks of it as her church.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to experience this. I cannot wait to get back on the road now. Maybe it's a sign I'm making progress. Or I'm just a lunatic.
shyonelung is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 05:17 PM
  #2  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,274

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 412 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9318 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 167 Posts
Tell it, brother!

Sounds like you were in "the zone."

It's a beautiful thing.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 05:21 PM
  #3  
jimblairo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 947

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carry the message!

http://www.elevengear.com/the-church...le-jersey.html
jimblairo is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 05:23 PM
  #4  
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe
 
Cyclelogikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 646

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling NIRVANA!
Cyclelogikal is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 05:32 PM
  #5  
BillyD
Administrator
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 25,809

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6382 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by shyonelung View Post
I don't ride in inclement weather because I got some sense.
Fixed.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 07:08 PM
  #6  
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,752

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
I love when this happens.
You lay out power with what seems like no effort.
I find it doing solo rides and usually while climbing
Pirk
Pirkaus is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 08:04 PM
  #7  
rousseau
Senior Member
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 2,735
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
All praise to our lord and saviour, Eddy Merckx. You have been redeemed, brother. Just remember to read the scriptures regularly to buttress your faith: http://www.velominati.com.

And always obey the rules: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/.
rousseau is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 08:07 PM
  #8  
THSdrummer
Senior Member
 
THSdrummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 662

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The zone is a beautiful place.

I've found it once. It was in a cross country race in high school (about 4 years ago at this point). I hit the 1 and 1/2 mile mark, saw a teammate who yelled a split and then don't recall a dang thing. I remember finishing confused, because I thought the whole course had been rearranged while I was mid-race. I can also recall going up and down huge hills. I just entered a zone of nothing but running. I haven't found it since, but it was beautiful.
THSdrummer is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 08:09 PM
  #9  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You people are so emo.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 08:42 PM
  #10  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,548
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 53 Posts
You need a real church.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 08:48 PM
  #11  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,589

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6467 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by THSdrummer View Post
The zone is a beautiful place.

I've found it once. It was in a cross country race in high school (about 4 years ago at this point). I hit the 1 and 1/2 mile mark, saw a teammate who yelled a split and then don't recall a dang thing. I remember finishing confused, because I thought the whole course had been rearranged while I was mid-race. I can also recall going up and down huge hills. I just entered a zone of nothing but running. I haven't found it since, but it was beautiful.
Off topic, but does anyone know why only high school runners run "cross county" while ever afterward people run distances. In college, national, international and Olympic track. Never again after high school is "cross country" heard of again. One of two things is strange. Either it's all distance running and just has this wierd name in high school, or high school is the only place people really run cross country, whatever that really means. Why would that be? Does one have to watch out for cow patties? What's the real deal?
rpenmanparker is online now  
Old 11-05-13, 08:49 PM
  #12  
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7
 
Ghost Ryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada/604
Posts: 2,185

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amen!
Ghost Ryder is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 08:59 PM
  #13  
THSdrummer
Senior Member
 
THSdrummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 662

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
Off topic, but does anyone know why only high school runners run "cross county" while ever afterward people run distances. In college, national, international and Olympic track. Never again after high school is "cross country" heard of again. One of two things is strange. Either it's all distance running and just has this wierd name in high school, or high school is the only place people really run cross country, whatever that really means. Why would that be? Does one have to watch out for cow patties? What's the real deal?
I run cross country at the NCAA Division II level. They also have cross country at D1, D3, and NAIA, each with its own respective championship system. They also host USA Cross Country Nationals (for masters and pros and such - recently held at St. Louis, should be there again this year). I believe there is also a World Championships for it as well (held much like cycling WCs over the course of several days, racing various genders and distances). It's just not incorporated at the Olympics - which is probably why few people know about it. As I recall, it WAS an Olympic sport, but was removed sometime in the 50's or 60's...

I help host a local cross country race for the public (it's actually this weekend). I have also raced several off season (mid-summer) cross country races open to the public. Yes, they are much more rare compared with road races, but I think most people want to run fast if they're going to run. Grass is not typically fast. Not to mention, finding a training venue for a cross country race isn't always that easy. A few cross country courses in the area are maintained year-round, but are not as easy to get to as stepping out your front door and just running. Plus finding a suitable course to hold a race on is difficult. Golf courses typically provide the best venues, but they often times try to avoid us (which is understandable in certain situations). Otherwise, there are not a lot of grass venues with a perimeter at least 2 miles or so in mid-city or suburban to host an event. The event we host is a little over 2 miles, and is maxing out the area we have. A 5k would require an additional loop (although I'm all for offering this option). An 8k or 10k might get to be a bit much at this particular venue.

Short answer: Opportunities to race cross country are present after high school, just not every weekend.
THSdrummer is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 09:02 PM
  #14  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's just a bike.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 09:07 PM
  #15  
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Posts: 12,275

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
You need a real church.
Meh.
__________________
Telemachus has, indeed, sneezed.
halfspeed is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 09:10 PM
  #16  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,589

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6467 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by THSdrummer View Post
I run cross country at the NCAA Division II level. They also have cross country at D1, D3, and NAIA, each with its own respective championship system. They also host USA Cross Country Nationals (for masters and pros and such - recently held at St. Louis, should be there again this year). I believe there is also a World Championships for it as well (held much like cycling WCs over the course of several days, racing various genders and distances). It's just not incorporated at the Olympics - which is probably why few people know about it. As I recall, it WAS an Olympic sport, but was removed sometime in the 50's or 60's...

I help host a local cross country race for the public (it's actually this weekend). I have also raced several off season (mid-summer) cross country races open to the public. Yes, they are much more rare compared with road races, but I think most people want to run fast if they're going to run. Grass is not typically fast. Not to mention, finding a training venue for a cross country race isn't always that easy. A few cross country courses in the area are maintained year-round, but are not as easy to get to as stepping out your front door and just running. Plus finding a suitable course to hold a race on is difficult. Golf courses typically provide the best venues, but they often times try to avoid us (which is understandable in certain situations). Otherwise, there are not a lot of grass venues with a perimeter at least 2 miles or so in mid-city or suburban to host an event. The event we host is a little over 2 miles, and is maxing out the area we have. A 5k would require an additional loop (although I'm all for offering this option). An 8k or 10k might get to be a bit much at this particular venue.

Short answer: Opportunities to race cross country are present after high school, just not every weekend.
Thanks. In my experience high school cross country was just another name for city street-bound distance running. It at lest good to know it has some real embodiment some places.
rpenmanparker is online now  
Old 11-05-13, 09:46 PM
  #17  
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Posts: 6,163

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
You need a real church.
1. I agree with shoota.People are more than two dimensional creatures. If you've lived life absent of your spiritual side... you're missing too much.

2. Finding "the zone" while bicycling is awesome. Being in the zone can a regular part of your cycling experience... it is for me. I do have to work for it. Every ride I take... starts with me on my bicycle. But after a [more than] few minutes and [more than] a few miles... as I warm up we become like one. The bicycle responds to my thoughts. And for a while... most days... this retired, arthritic, old man fly's along the same as I did as a kid.
Dave Cutter is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 11:07 PM
  #18  
rousseau
Senior Member
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 2,735
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
You need a real church.
Cycling is a "real" church. Those other kind that litter the landscape in North America are thankfully going the way of the dodo. The notion that not going to those old-fashioned kinds of churches means you're ignoring your spiritual side is totally cuckoo.
rousseau is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 11:23 PM
  #19  
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,446

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shyonelung View Post
Or I'm just a lunatic.
You said it not me my son.

Also, stop with the religious talk, I'm the Pope in this Think Tank.
__________________
http://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 11:26 PM
  #20  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This blasphemy will not go unpunished. I am avoiding thunderstorms for a month.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 11:28 PM
  #21  
shyonelung 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shyonelung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Healdsburg & Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 433

Bikes: 1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually have a very spiritual life. I don't believe much in religion though. The thing that felt best about today was the feeling for a few minutes of just being present in the moment as they say. Been going through a difficult situation personally and even set out today in a sour mood. It was a pleasant and welcome surprise to find a moment of pure joy in just being outside on my bike on a beautiful fall day. I love riding and often find it brings a grin to my face but sometimes even the things you love can feel like work. All day I've felt amazing and happy - all because I took a bike ride today. Pretty damn cool.


By the way, I'm a girl. Just for clarity.
shyonelung is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 11:31 PM
  #22  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know how you feel. This is why I prefer riding solo. The "moment " gets ruined when someone starts yelling.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 11:31 PM
  #23  
shyonelung 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shyonelung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Healdsburg & Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 433

Bikes: 1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Cycling is a "real" church. Those other kind that litter the landscape in North America are thankfully going the way of the dodo. The notion that not going to those old-fashioned kinds of churches means you're ignoring your spiritual side is totally cuckoo.
Yep. My father, who is 87, likes to say that he doesn't believe in God or the Internets. One of the many reasons I love him.
shyonelung is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 11:37 PM
  #24  
f4rrest 
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 7,986

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed View Post
Meh.
+1
f4rrest is offline  
Old 11-05-13, 11:39 PM
  #25  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet this thing gets flushed down the pan to P&R
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.