Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any body find any DI-2 Bikes with hydraulic disc brakes?

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any body find any DI-2 Bikes with hydraulic disc brakes?

Old 02-04-14, 08:17 AM
  #1  
Jackmen
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rolla, MO
Posts: 171

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any body find any DI-2 Bikes with hydraulic disc brakes?

I have been riding a CF Monocoque framed DI-2 bike for 2 years with deep carbon wheels and I love the set up except the braking. As you are aware carbon rims and braking are just not areal good combination. squeaks, modulation and pulsing, bad in wet conditions, etc.

I feel the solution long term is definitely hydraulic disc brakes. I have them on my 29er and they are awesome. In researching availability, there are not very many available with them in a road frame. With the new shimano R785 brakes with the shimano brifters set up for the hydraulics, they have got great reviews by everybody I have read.

I see them as the ultimate solution as you can run deep light carbon wheels and not worry about the rim brake interface. This will allow you to get very reasonable wheels and not have to worry about them. (welcome relief from over priced zipps at 2800 a set).

What I have found is because shimano really just started shipping them at the first of the year, very few bike manufacturers adopted them. Hopefully some secondary brands will adopt them to give us more selection. All the bikes appear to be very pricey. Here's what I found with both discs and the shimano DI-2, which I now regard as a necessity:

Orbea avant M10D $5699
Bianchi Infinito $8000
Specialized Roubiax SL-4 expert $6800

I don't find much else out there right now and as you can see they are all pricey. Shimano has done their brakes right, but it appears that they are pretty pricey right now. In looking at them for components the brakes and shifters together are selling for about $700, plus I've heard the discs are nearly 100 a peice, so looks like 900 for a fully equipped set up on a bike.

The weight penalty is about 320 grams over regular ultegra, not bad at .75 pounds, not a deal breaker.

I am hoping some second tier bike manufacturer will come out with a CF framed DI-2 bike in comfort geometry for less than $5700.

Discs are definitely the future for road bikes it just may take a while that there is more selection and the price gets more reasonable.

If anybody else has found any other models out there equiped with DI-2 & shimano Hydraulic discs , please give us a post.
Jackmen is offline  
Old 02-04-14, 08:44 AM
  #2  
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 8,754
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I'm not sure you'll see widespread adoption unless the pros start using them. For road racing the benefits of disc brakes on a road bike are limited and you pay an aero and weight penalty.

If you want better braking you could always get a set of alum rims for training and save the carbon wheels for race days.
gregf83 is offline  
Old 02-04-14, 09:29 AM
  #3  
StanSeven
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delaware shore
Posts: 13,084

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackmen View Post
Discs are definitely the future for road bikes it just may take a while that there is more selection and the price gets more reasonable.
Maybe, maybe not. The basic question is if discs are so good, why haven't manufacturers produced and buyers demanded them in big numbers? The answer is there is a lot of negatives - price, weight, aero, maintenance and other problems, and a general opinion is they just aren't needed. While there are benefits with CX and mtn bikes, those don't automatically carry over to road bikes.

Typical high end road bike buyers are concerned with aero benefits (take a look at all the aero frames out there) and weight (several sub 700g frames are available). So the thought of taking a light and aero bike and hurting the aero benefits and adding 0.75 lb isn't appealing.

Plus outside of very steep races, many riders don't see the need to stop better than current caliper brakes. The latest CF wheels do much better with heat.

Last edited by StanSeven; 02-04-14 at 09:44 AM.
StanSeven is offline  
Old 02-04-14, 09:51 AM
  #4  
robbyville
Senior Member
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,036

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Trek has the Boone 9 Disk with full Ultegra DI2 and the Hydraulic brakes (currently I believe the brake offering is only with electronic shifting as it pertains to Shimano's hydraulic offering but I may be wrong). Price is around $5000. Frame is carbon, has the isocoupler similar to the Domane. Geometry is definitely a little racier and to be fair this is a cross bike but could easily have tires swapped and chainrings if desired making it perfectly wonderful for the road.

No Domane disk yet though
robbyville is offline  
Old 02-04-14, 10:04 AM
  #5  
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's a bit early for hydraulic Di-2 disc brakes.

Hydraulic and disc are not new for bikes, but are new for road. Disc brakes are making inroads in cross and endurance bikes, but since they're not UCI approved, a big segment won't use them. I expect it's going to take a few years before these technologies are mature enough for manufacturers to offer a hydraulic, electronic, disc-equipped road groupset.

Also keep in mind that disc brakes have a slight weight penalty, and will almost certainly incur a small aero penalty. That is a bit counterproductive for a high-end aero wheel.

I concur with gregf83 that at this time, a carbon aero rim with an aluminum brake track may be your best option.
Bacciagalupe is offline  
Old 02-19-14, 03:13 PM
  #6  
RoboCheme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Moraga, CA
Posts: 1,701

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackmen View Post
I have been riding a CF Monocoque framed DI-2 bike for 2 years with deep carbon wheels and I love the set up except the braking. As you are aware carbon rims and braking are just not areal good combination. squeaks, modulation and pulsing, bad in wet conditions, etc.

I feel the solution long term is definitely hydraulic disc brakes. I have them on my 29er and they are awesome. In researching availability, there are not very many available with them in a road frame. With the new shimano R785 brakes with the shimano brifters set up for the hydraulics, they have got great reviews by everybody I have read.

I see them as the ultimate solution as you can run deep light carbon wheels and not worry about the rim brake interface. This will allow you to get very reasonable wheels and not have to worry about them. (welcome relief from over priced zipps at 2800 a set).

What I have found is because shimano really just started shipping them at the first of the year, very few bike manufacturers adopted them. Hopefully some secondary brands will adopt them to give us more selection. All the bikes appear to be very pricey. Here's what I found with both discs and the shimano DI-2, which I now regard as a necessity:

Orbea avant M10D $5699
Bianchi Infinito $8000
Specialized Roubiax SL-4 expert $6800

I don't find much else out there right now and as you can see they are all pricey. Shimano has done their brakes right, but it appears that they are pretty pricey right now. In looking at them for components the brakes and shifters together are selling for about $700, plus I've heard the discs are nearly 100 a peice, so looks like 900 for a fully equipped set up on a bike.

The weight penalty is about 320 grams over regular ultegra, not bad at .75 pounds, not a deal breaker.

I am hoping some second tier bike manufacturer will come out with a CF framed DI-2 bike in comfort geometry for less than $5700.

Discs are definitely the future for road bikes it just may take a while that there is more selection and the price gets more reasonable.

If anybody else has found any other models out there equiped with DI-2 & shimano Hydraulic discs , please give us a post.
There is also the BMC Granfondo GF01 Disc. $8000 for UDi2
RoboCheme is offline  
Old 02-19-14, 03:24 PM
  #7  
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 30,329

Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
I'm not sure you'll see widespread adoption unless the pros start using them. For road racing the benefits of disc brakes on a road bike are limited and you pay an aero and weight penalty.
I agree that pro use will be pivotal, and this rests in the hands of the UCI. They're currently not approved for use in road races. And despite the fact that 99.99% of people riding, and even most people racing, are not subject to UCI rules, what the pro's do will guide the market.

Ironically, if we get disc brakes on road bikes, it will in part be due to the UCI minimum weight limit in that you can build a disc brake bike below the weight limit, so there is effective no weight penalty for pro's.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Old 02-19-14, 03:26 PM
  #8  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 13,178

Bikes: Cervelo S1

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like Di2 hydro brifters that would let me run Magura RT6 TTs on my roadie.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 02-19-14, 03:28 PM
  #9  
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 30,329

Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As an anecdote, I'm not seeing a big advantage to disc brakes. We just put a rear disc on the tandem because it was required to descend Haleakala (for heat management issues).

I much prefer the Dura Ace caliper we were running for stopping power, modulation, ease of setup, and noise. Only advantage of the disc is heat management, which isn't an issue on a single racing bike.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Old 02-19-14, 03:30 PM
  #10  
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 30,329

Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackmen View Post
I have been riding a CF Monocoque framed DI-2 bike for 2 years with deep carbon wheels and I love the set up except the braking. As you are aware carbon rims and braking are just not areal good combination. squeaks, modulation and pulsing, bad in wet conditions, etc.

.

What wheel/ brake combination are you using? I really haven't found any of those issues with Zipp 404 firecrest rims, sram red calipers, and swisstop yellow pads, including racing in the Rocky Mountains in the rain.
__________________
You could fall off a cliff and die.
You could get lost and die.
You could hit a tree and die.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Old 02-19-14, 04:43 PM
  #11  
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Posts: 6,682

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was on the willier website the other day and, IIRC, they had a "disc ready" bike, that came with caliper brakes. i'm guessing it was DI2 ready too. might want to take a look.
hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 02-19-14, 05:09 PM
  #12  
thermalattorney
Bike Nerd
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 238

Bikes: '04 Cannondale Track, Custom Steel Disc Road Di2, Rock Lobster CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak for completes, but Felt's carbon disc CX series (including their $2200 F1X frameset) are compatible with Di2 & hydraulic discs. Compared to a road frame the BB is 1cm higher and it has a longer wheelbase, but you can make that work.
thermalattorney is offline  
Old 02-19-14, 06:18 PM
  #13  
Jackmen
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rolla, MO
Posts: 171

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
What wheel/ brake combination are you using? I really haven't found any of those issues with Zipp 404 firecrest rims, sram red calipers, and swisstop yellow pads, including racing in the Rocky Mountains in the rain.
I am running 2012 Ultega brakes with Black Prince pads. The wheels i am using are farsports 23 wide X 50 deep carbon clinchers with high temperature brake track. I assume the problems are in the wheels, but I just can't seem to come to the point of buying $2800 Zipps.

That was the cost of my entire Monocoque bike Full shimano ultegra groupos with DI-2.
Jackmen is offline  
Old 02-19-14, 08:52 PM
  #14  
rdtompki
Senior Member
 
rdtompki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollister, CA
Posts: 3,957

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not consider the TRP HY/RD calipers - better modulation than BB7s and cable actuated.
rdtompki is offline  
Old 02-19-14, 09:07 PM
  #15  
IthaDan 
Senior Member
 
IthaDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 4,915

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The bike in the second 'road bike party' trials video was di2 with hydros.
__________________

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
IthaDan is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
WPeabody
Advocacy & Safety
32
06-06-12 10:59 AM
bentbuilder
Classic & Vintage
5
07-18-10 08:16 PM
ticomadlib
General Cycling Discussion
0
07-29-08 07:25 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.