Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can someone recommend a child seat that would attach to my road bike?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can someone recommend a child seat that would attach to my road bike?

Old 03-07-14, 09:55 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Monument Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 902

Bikes: Seven Cycles Odonata

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone recommend a child seat that would attach to my road bike?

I ride a Seven Cycles road bike, and I want to take my boy for rides around the park.

I'm looking to see if there is some way to attach a child seat to this frame...

I live in NYC and I can only have one bike. So I am exploring all options before making the decision to sell the bike and replace with a bike with a frame that can accept a rack (or whatever).

Maybe the Dutch have a product? Or if I can combine two products, like a rack that I can mount onto my frame somehow, which then will accommodate a child seat. Or if I could look into swapping out my drop handlebars for something straight, which might allow me to more easily attach a front mounted child seat.

People here don't use trailers because space can sometimes get very tight on these bike paths. Don't worry, I will have my son only on slowish rides in Central Park, where there aren't any cars to worry about. But sometimes there can be big crowds given the constant parades, cancer walks, road races, horse drawn carriages, and tourists. The crowds are mostly confined to the southern end of the park, closest to midtown, and it's a 6 mile loop. But the bottom line is people don't use trailers in there.
Monument Man is offline  
Old 03-07-14, 10:14 PM
  #2  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,766

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,909 Times in 1,149 Posts
How old is the kid? Maybe a Co-Rider would work:

chaadster is offline  
Old 03-07-14, 10:30 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I read your disclaimers, but I would be very concerned about my child's safety. In case of a fall your son would have absolutely no protection for his limbs. Anything could cause a fall: wet leaves, oil on the road, a dog. It wouldn't be worth it to me. YMMV.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 03-07-14, 11:15 PM
  #4  
commu*ist spy
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 4,459
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
this is how my dad used to take me to school back in the day, although I don't remember if I was sitting on the top tube or the back..

spectastic is offline  
Old 03-07-14, 11:26 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Monument Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 902

Bikes: Seven Cycles Odonata

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll check out the Co-rider for sure since it apparently works with drops. Does it attach to the headset? My kid is 1, so I don't think we will be riding side horse style around Central Park

Obviously it is winter here so we are just thinking ahead to the summer.
Monument Man is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 07:14 AM
  #6  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,766

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,909 Times in 1,149 Posts
Originally Posted by Monument Man
I'll check out the Co-rider for sure since it apparently works with drops. Does it attach to the headset? My kid is 1, so I don't think we will be riding side horse style around Central Park

Obviously it is winter here so we are just thinking ahead to the summer.
A 1yr old will need back support. Look,at the iBert SafeTseat and Yepp Mini, both behind-the-bar front mount designs. You may need to mod your bike to make them work-- maybe a higher rise stem-- but that may be an easy swap you can do when you want to do a sporty solo ride. I dunno; I've not used any of these carriers, and just know of them from doing my own research.
chaadster is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 08:05 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,521

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Monument Man
People here don't use trailers because space can sometimes get very tight on these bike paths.
Yeah they do. Or did you mean that you just don't want a trailer?
WhyFi is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 08:57 AM
  #8  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,766

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,909 Times in 1,149 Posts
If trailers are to be considered, another thing that might work is the Chariot Sidecarrier sidecar. It's more compact than a trailer, and quickly goes on and comes off via a discreet bottom bracket mount. It easily folds up to be put away as well.

When my kids were 1, I did modify a torso and head support for them, to prevent flopping and stressing the neck. Worked great.

You know, there is a Recreational & Family forum where these kinds of topics are discussed, so you may find posting over there more productive.



chaadster is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 09:06 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
A trailer or sidecar as recommended by WiFi is a much safer option.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 09:25 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,673

Bikes: N+1=5

Liked 246 Times in 182 Posts
A kid on a bike is a really bad deal. A fall would almost certainly have a high probability of a traumatic brain injury especially in a very young child. Helmets are good for penetrating injuries but they won't do a thing for preventing DAI (i.e. shaken baby injuries). I cringe every time I see someone with a young child on a bike.

What we did was get a burley trailer - the one that folds up. You can put a car seat in it, it is very comfortable for the child and it can double as as stroller. Many, many miles on that thing with a happy kid inside.

j.
JohnJ80 is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 09:35 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
rebel1916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,141
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
There are some extremely alarmist viewpoints being expressed on this page. Both of my kids have been in Co-Pilots since they were 1. Which is the legal age in NY. They have both been on rail trails and easy mountain bike trails. They love it. They have also been skiing at age 2-3, sledding on hills with the big kids, riding their bikes and scooters in the street and allowed to climb boulders. Good times.
rebel1916 is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 09:40 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
There are some extremely alarmist viewpoints being expressed on this page. Both of my kids have been in Co-Pilots since they were 1. Which is the legal age in NY. They have both been on rail trails and easy mountain bike trails. They love it. They have also been skiing at age 2-3, sledding on hills with the big kids, riding their bikes and scooters in the street and allowed to climb boulders. Good times.
Yes there are. And for good reason. Your anecdote regarding the good results you have had do not in any way lower the risk of carrying an infant with no ability to protect itself on a bicycle. Consider yourself very lucky.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 09:56 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
rebel1916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,141
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Yes there are. And for good reason. Your anecdote regarding the good results you have had do not in any way lower the risk of carrying an infant with no ability to protect itself on a bicycle. Consider yourself very lucky.
I am raising adventurous, self confident kids. Last summer (aged 2-4) I started letting them play in the yard without direct supervision. People wonder why kids do nothing but play video games, it's because adults treat them as though they are fragile. They're not. They're tough. Use caution and your best judgement, don't be to proud to turn around if conditions are not to your liking, and have fun.

PS, here is the little one being towed behind a quad. Heavens to Betsy the sky is falling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
quad.jpg (84.8 KB, 51 views)
rebel1916 is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 10:20 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
I am raising adventurous, self confident kids. Last summer (aged 2-4) I started letting them play in the yard without direct supervision. People wonder why kids do nothing but play video games, it's because adults treat them as though they are fragile. They're not. They're tough. Use caution and your best judgement, don't be to proud to turn around if conditions are not to your liking, and have fun.

PS, here is the little one being towed behind a quad. Heavens to Betsy the sky is falling.
Different folks have different tolerance for different forms of risk. I factor in my own klutziness on the bike when I consider whether kids should be carried along with me. If I have fallen when riding alone on the bike, the odds are pretty high it could happen when carrying a child. I don't put that in the same category as letting kids visit friends on their own in the neighborhood, either by walking or cycling when they are 7 or 8 years old. Or just playing outside unsupervised. I highly support that. Your kids, your philosophy regarding acceptance of risk. But that doesn't mean the risk isn't there. It is the tolerance for it we are debating.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 12:45 PM
  #15  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,766

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,909 Times in 1,149 Posts
I reject your whole premise that a kid on a bike is a bad deal. It's so not a deal at all that no one even tracks those injuries. It happens incredibly rarely.
chaadster is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 01:36 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I reject your whole premise that a kid on a bike is a bad deal. It's so not a deal at all that no one even tracks those injuries. It happens incredibly rarely.
Well I have to say I am happy about that. But decisions are seldom made based on risk alone, but rather risk vs. benefit. Considering the greater safety and comparable enjoyment of using a trailer, why wouldn't that be the more sensible choice?
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 01:55 PM
  #17  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,766

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,909 Times in 1,149 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Well I have to say I am happy about that. But decisions are seldom made based on risk alone, but rather risk vs. benefit. Considering the greater safety and comparable enjoyment of using a trailer, why wouldn't that be the more sensible choice?
Sure, I don't disagree that a trailer removes the "fall from height" risk inherent to on-bike seats, but the question of whether trailers are better than on-bike seats is a different discussion from your earlier argument that on-bike seats are exceedingly dangerous. That latter point is just not true.

Lots and lots of people ride kids with on-bike seats, and the occurrence of injury is exceedingly low. Given an equivalent choice between an on-bike seat and trailer, I would take the trailer...in fact, I did, but not only because it eliminates the "fall from height" risk, but for other reasons of convenience and versatility as well. If I lived in a dense urban setting and had space at a premium, I'd probably have chosen differently.
chaadster is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 02:02 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jersey
Posts: 153

Bikes: Workswell WCB-R-066 Ultegra 6800, LOOK 675 Light Ultegra Di2

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. Same here. I even had my kids on a motorcycle sitting on the gas tank between my legs for short rides around town when they were a year old.
Can't live life in fear of falling and getting hurt.


Originally Posted by rebel1916
There are some extremely alarmist viewpoints being expressed on this page. Both of my kids have been in Co-Pilots since they were 1. Which is the legal age in NY. They have both been on rail trails and easy mountain bike trails. They love it. They have also been skiing at age 2-3, sledding on hills with the big kids, riding their bikes and scooters in the street and allowed to climb boulders. Good times.
vasuvius is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 02:05 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Sure, I don't disagree that a trailer removes the "fall from height" risk inherent to on-bike seats, but the question of whether trailers are better than on-bike seats is a different discussion from your earlier argument that on-bike seats are exceedingly dangerous. That latter point is just not true.

Lots and lots of people ride kids with on-bike seats, and the occurrence of injury is exceedingly low. Given an equivalent choice between an on-bike seat and trailer, I would take the trailer...in fact, I did, but not only because it eliminates the "fall from height" risk, but for other reasons of convenience and versatility as well. If I lived in a dense urban setting and had space at a premium, I'd probably have chosen differently.
Fair enough. I really just wanted to make the point that I fall about once every couple of years. I would hate to have one of my grandaughters mounted on a Co-Pilot with me when that happens. I'm sure you and others make decisions one way or another of this kind that are right for you and your families. That's the best we can do.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 04:46 PM
  #20  
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 12,766

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,909 Times in 1,149 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Fair enough. I really just wanted to make the point that I fall about once every couple of years. I would hate to have one of my grandaughters mounted on a Co-Pilot with me when that happens. I'm sure you and others make decisions one way or another of this kind that are right for you and your families. That's the best we can do.
I totally understand and agree!
chaadster is offline  
Old 03-08-14, 05:29 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
rebel1916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,141
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by vasuvius
Yep. Same here. I even had my kids on a motorcycle sitting on the gas tank between my legs for short rides around town when they were a year old.
Can't live life in fear of falling and getting hurt.
Ha, I don't do that, because I worry about CPS! I do let em drive on my dead end street though.
rebel1916 is offline  
Old 03-17-14, 10:03 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Monument Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 902

Bikes: Seven Cycles Odonata

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of alarmist viewpoints here! Wow.

A couple things: 1) using a trailer on the streets of NYC is horribly dangerous since pedestrian and auto traffic is so thick. People don't see them and trailers cause crashes. 2) I have said I live in Manhattan with a kid which means I live in a 900 sq ft apt with no extra storage. A trailer wouldn't fit even if I wanted one. 3) there is absolutely zero percent chance I will purchase a trailer.

I think I'm going to get a Yepp Mini with the adapter. I'm not exactly sure how it will work with my drop bars but I could easily make some adjustments to the bike to make sure it works.
Monument Man is offline  
Old 03-17-14, 10:42 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,700
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Monument Man
Lots of alarmist viewpoints here! Wow.

A couple things: 1) using a trailer on the streets of NYC is horribly dangerous since pedestrian and auto traffic is so thick. People don't see them and trailers cause crashes. 2) I have said I live in Manhattan with a kid which means I live in a 900 sq ft apt with no extra storage. A trailer wouldn't fit even if I wanted one. 3) there is absolutely zero percent chance I will purchase a trailer.

I think I'm going to get a Yepp Mini with the adapter. I'm not exactly sure how it will work with my drop bars but I could easily make some adjustments to the bike to make sure it works.
A trailer and a bike are bigger than just a bike. If people don't see a bike with a trailer, they're even more likely to not see just a bike.

Creating specious anti-trailer arguments out of whole cloth while at the same time characterizing as "alarmist" anyone who points out an infant perched on top of a bicycle is not as safe as an infant in a trailer kinda marks you as literally irrational.
achoo is offline  
Old 03-17-14, 10:58 AM
  #24  
Rides Majestic
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Westfield, MA
Posts: 1,339

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The Ibert seat is the one I would use with a kid under 2. It has plenty of support for them. The downside is that it seems to work best with a quill stem. Also, if you stop you can't straddle the top tube because the seat is in the way. You may want to lower your seat so you can put your feet down when riding with it. When they get a little older and can support themselves better, a rear rack mount seat is fine. The Bell Cocoon seat has a rack that doesn't require frame eyelets. I have one that a friend gave me and it's fine, but would probably have gone with the Topeak because my frame has eyelets and you get a nice rear rack when you are done with the seat. My next step will probably be a tow behind bike (copilot?).
likebike23 is offline  
Old 03-17-14, 12:35 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
antimonysarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 654

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
You could also call Seven and see about getting rack mounts added.
antimonysarah is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.