Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First road bike; Giant Defy 1 compact or Cube Peloton Pro Compact

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First road bike; Giant Defy 1 compact or Cube Peloton Pro Compact

Old 10-07-14, 04:57 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 95
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
First road bike; Giant Defy 1 compact or Cube Peloton Pro Compact

I've pretty much narrowed the search for my first road bike down to these two...

Giant:
Aluxx SL aluminium frame
105 front and rear mech
105 shifters
Tektro brakes
Giants own PR2 rims, front and rear
Carbon fork
Giant branded finishing kit

Cube:
Alu Superlite 6061 AMF Double Butted, RFR-Geometry, inner cable routed frame
Full tiagra groupset & brakes
Shimano WH-R500 wheels
Easton AE30 seatpost
FSA Orbit Z-t heahset
Carbon fork
Selle Italia X1 Road saddle

Both are the same price.

I like Giant for the 105 front and rear mech and has smooth welds unlike the Cube, but something tells me that the cube is the better bike, really, internal cable routing, shimano brakes (have heard bad things about Tektro), and shimano wheels with a branded finishing kit. Come summer I could upgrade my groupset anyway.

Thoughts?
dja1 is offline  
Old 10-07-14, 05:15 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
koolerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,087

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I'd go for the 105.
koolerb is offline  
Old 10-07-14, 05:25 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 974

Bikes: One with square wheels

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dja1
but something tells me that the cube is the better bike, really, internal cable routing, shimano brakes (have heard bad things about Tektro), and shimano wheels with a branded finishing kit. Come summer I could upgrade my groupset anyway.

Thoughts?

go for the gaint. Internal cable routing does nothing, tektro brakes are will stop you just fine, giant wheels will be just as heavy/bulletproof as the shimano ones.

What is finishing kit? And what have you heard about tektro brakes and gaint's house brand of wheels?

Being new to the sport I doubt you'll be able to notice a difference between anything, but trust strangers on the internet....go with the gaint.
Team Sarcasm is offline  
Old 10-07-14, 07:13 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 245
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Defy 1 (2013) and no complaints. No brake complaints, 105's shifting a crisply at 6K miles as day one (better maybe) and have not touched the hubs once in 6K miles (try that with a cup/cone shimano!) PR2 wheels stayed true as day one (until one failed at 5K miles which is another story.)

I am not familiar at all with Cube. I selected the Giant based on it being the best value at my price point (i.e. the competition almost universally ditched the front 105 for Tiagra and still charged more for the whole package) and to this day believe that Giant is the best value for the money. Plus, I like it when I test rode it.

If you intend to ride it a lot, test drive them both and get the one that you are most comfortable on and that feels right. Do the test drive blind folded so you wont be tempted to look at the internal cables on the Cube and confuse that with ride quality.

Just my $0.02
bgrider is offline  
Old 10-07-14, 07:54 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 95
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bgrider
I have a Defy 1 (2013) and no complaints. No brake complaints, 105's shifting a crisply at 6K miles as day one (better maybe) and have not touched the hubs once in 6K miles (try that with a cup/cone shimano!) PR2 wheels stayed true as day one (until one failed at 5K miles which is another story.)

I am not familiar at all with Cube. I selected the Giant based on it being the best value at my price point (i.e. the competition almost universally ditched the front 105 for Tiagra and still charged more for the whole package) and to this day believe that Giant is the best value for the money. Plus, I like it when I test rode it.

If you intend to ride it a lot, test drive them both and get the one that you are most comfortable on and that feels right. Do the test drive blind folded so you wont be tempted to look at the internal cables on the Cube and confuse that with ride quality.

Just my $0.02
Ah good to hear it right from the horses mouth, how long have you been riding your Defy 1, do you ride it through the winter? I'm in the UK and our winters are wet and windy, which is why the internal cable routing interested me, extra protection.

I think I will go for the Defy. It is a 2014 model.
dja1 is offline  
Old 10-07-14, 08:28 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
koolerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,087

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Cables are easy to replace. Buy the bike with the better components. I installed a Jagwire set this spring for $40. I have a Defy 1 as we'll with close to 4000 miles. The PR2 wheels have never been trued. The rear needs a little tweak now. The only other thing I replaced was the rear cog because I left the chain on too long. It's been a solid bike. I sprayed some Corrosion-X in the frame when I got it.
koolerb is offline  
Old 10-07-14, 09:20 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,400

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Whichever one feels better to ride. The Giant is a better deal component wise, but bike feel makes a big difference.
gsa103 is offline  
Old 10-08-14, 06:24 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Posts: 2,458

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dja1
Ah good to hear it right from the horses mouth, how long have you been riding your Defy 1, do you ride it through the winter? I'm in the UK and our winters are wet and windy, which is why the internal cable routing interested me, extra protection.

I think I will go for the Defy. It is a 2014 model.
With the 2015 Defy being 11 speed, maybe you can get a nice price on the 2014 :-).
Willbird is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 07:24 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 245
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dja1
Ah good to hear it right from the horses mouth, how long have you been riding your Defy 1, do you ride it through the winter? I'm in the UK and our winters are wet and windy, which is why the internal cable routing interested me, extra protection.

I think I will go for the Defy. It is a 2014 model.
I have been riding it since April 2013 and about to go out on it right now.....
bgrider is offline  
Old 10-15-14, 10:29 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 95
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Well, I was about to buy the Defy 1 and had the sale ready to go through until I found out my job it on the line the other day The future is uncertain, as if things are not hard enough already as it is. Ah well, if my job is safe, I'm going for the Giant!

£700... Good price for a 105 groupset I guess.
dja1 is offline  
Old 10-17-14, 02:42 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, QC. Canada
Posts: 191

Bikes: 1995 Giant Yukon, 2012 Giant TCR Comp 1, 2014 Giant Anyroad

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant, the Defy 1 is a fantastic all around bike with great components.
Canadian_giant is offline  
Old 11-05-14, 06:11 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 95
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Ordered a Cube Peloton Race 2014 in a clearance sale. Reduced from £1000 to £670 with a promo code, has a full rather than partial 105 groupset which is an improvement over the giant, and a Mavic Askium wheelset which is rather good according to reviews. Also has internal routing which I like... Clean look, easier to clean?

Cube Peloton Race Road Bike 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles
dja1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
one4smoke
Road Cycling
6
03-01-16 03:57 PM
markhughes80
Road Cycling
12
09-24-14 05:20 PM
lk012345
Road Cycling
3
08-23-14 09:42 PM
UK_Cyclist
Road Cycling
15
09-20-12 03:11 AM
E30
BMX
4
10-17-10 09:24 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.