Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where did you cycle - Weekend Ride/Exercise/Sports Report - Jan 31/Feb1

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Where did you cycle - Weekend Ride/Exercise/Sports Report - Jan 31/Feb1

Old 01-30-15, 06:39 PM
  #1  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,917

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 226 Posts
Where did you cycle - Weekend Ride/Exercise/Sports Report - Jan 31/Feb1

It's the end of January already ... how has your cycling gone this month? Will you be topping up the miles this last day of January? What's it like where you are? Are you able to get out and ride or are winter sports and indoor cycling the way to go? Tell us about your weekend.
Machka is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 02:32 AM
  #2  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,917

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 226 Posts
Saturday -- drizzly, rainy, a bit of wind and a high of 15C. This is supposed to be summer!!

So we went round to check out exercise equipment ... we're thinking of setting up a home gym. That adventure included a bit of walking.

And then we went to the gym. Rowan ran and walked briskly to 6.5 km and I walked briskly to 5 km.
Machka is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 06:59 PM
  #3  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,917

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 226 Posts
We're hoping to get out for a ride this afternoon ... they were predicting a bit of sunshine, but I don't see it yet.
Machka is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 07:23 PM
  #4  
freedomrider1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N.W.Ohio
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up trying to ride with all the salt and crud on the roads. Started walking last week and kinda enjoying it, at a large park near us. It has walking trails and one is 17 miles....so i have a new goal. I think the first week of March i will do the "Boy scout trail." as it is called.
freedomrider1 is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 09:20 PM
  #5  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,917

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
I gave up trying to ride with all the salt and crud on the roads. Started walking last week and kinda enjoying it, at a large park near us. It has walking trails and one is 17 miles....so i have a new goal. I think the first week of March i will do the "Boy scout trail." as it is called.


The area where I live has a whole bunch of hiking trails and we've started exploring them. I love cycling, of course, but hiking can be fascinating too ... you get to see stuff you'd miss cycling past it.
Machka is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 09:21 PM
  #6  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,917

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
We're hoping to get out for a ride this afternoon ... they were predicting a bit of sunshine, but I don't see it yet.
Meanwhile if the weather doesn't improve, we might end up going to the gym again.
Machka is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 09:38 PM
  #7  
alexaschwanden
Bike rider
 
alexaschwanden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: san jose
Posts: 3,167

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saturday: 39.6 miles
Sunday: 25-33 miles
alexaschwanden is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 10:00 PM
  #8  
2manybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,898

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 85 Posts
2 miles fast walk, in the snow today. Very windy 18 F temp. I need an all day bike ride.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 10:22 PM
  #9  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,917

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
I need an all day bike ride.
So do I!! It has been too long!!
Machka is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 10:25 PM
  #10  
cseaman
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Atropia
Posts: 40

Bikes: 2016 Crux, 2018 Allez Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 64 miles today. That put me at 433 for the month, and year.

Arizona is pretty cool.
cseaman is offline  
Old 01-31-15, 10:29 PM
  #11  
2manybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,898

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
So do I!! It has been too long!!
In other words (*&^%$%^&*^%$#@#$^%$#@$^%&*(&^%$#@#%^%^&*(
2manybikes is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 12:24 AM
  #12  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,100

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 151 Posts
203km brevet yesterday, 240km with the commute out and back. Very lumpy course and very warm. I drank about 6-7 litres, and it all came out in sweat.
We were pretty excited because we had heard the road had finally been sealed (previously there had been about a km of gravel)... unfortunately along with the sealing of the final km they had put fresh seal on a lot of roads in the district.

Apologies for the strange distances, garminconnect is struggling with a bug in the Etrex.
Garmin Connect
znomit is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 01:53 AM
  #13  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,283
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 519 Times in 307 Posts
86 miles. training for Dc in March.

Hard to tell if it's January, or summer. Two bakery stops. Lots of road kill skunks.

Fairfax, Fawn Dr, Novato, Tomales, Bofax loop - A bike ride in Marin County, CA

Mtn bike ride tomorrow (CX for me actually).
woodcraft is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 01:55 AM
  #14  
daihard 
Just a person on bike
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,928

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just did a quick 10-miler in the afternoon. I got lazy and didn't go out until 15:00...
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 07:03 AM
  #15  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,917

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 226 Posts
Sunday -- 20.94 km over on the Eastern Shore. We wanted to find a flat place to ride today because I'm still not up to tackling the hills around where we live, so we decided to drive over to the Eastern Shore area and ride from there.

As we got ready for our ride, we were serenaded by a live band in the Bellerive village on the other side of the bay. That was a nice way to begin the ride.




Through the village and up a hill ... and we discovered that the council had done a really nice job of paving the road and including a cyclepath.




We stopped at the outlook to have a look and to allow me to catch my breath.




Onward past Bellerive Beach to Howrah Beach, where we topped another small hill and then paused to take in the view and allow me to catch my breath.




From there we cycled all the way around Howrah Beach to the end of the cycle path in Tranmere ... to about where the houses end on the hills in the distance.




Looking back toward Howrah Beach.




On the way back, we got to watch one of the cruise ships depart.






The weather wasn't brilliant, but at least it didn't rain while we were out. We had a high of 14.5C, winds gusting up to 43 km/h, and overcast.
Machka is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 08:33 AM
  #16  
roadiejorge 
stole your bike
 
roadiejorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 6,907

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
it's been a pretty dismal winter riding season (if you can even call it that) given life situations and weather. I've been rebuilding on the trainer though and will start commuting to my new work location once the icy weather is done.
__________________
I like pie
roadiejorge is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 09:14 AM
  #17  
jbchybridrider 
Senior Member
 
jbchybridrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: adelaide, australia
Posts: 2,801
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 129 Posts
Quick 50k city to surf and back again. It was chilly incredibly windy and no sun, where did summer go ?

jbchybridrider is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 09:16 AM
  #18  
Jakedatc
Senior Member
 
Jakedatc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
2 miles fast walk, in the snow today. Very windy 18 F temp. I need an all day bike ride.
go mtn bike to Arts... that will probably take you all day in this freaking snow

was going to snowshoe yesterday but windchills down near 0F gave me second thoughts.. woke up and watched CX worlds today. does that count?
Jakedatc is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 09:42 AM
  #19  
2manybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,898

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc View Post
go mtn bike to Arts... that will probably take you all day in this freaking snow

was going to snowshoe yesterday but windchills down near 0F gave me second thoughts.. woke up and watched CX worlds today. does that count?
......no........

It's over 12" most of the way. I tried once when it was over 6". The pedals hit the snow at 6". Can't ride all the way I got too tired. I could barely make it to the flashing light On Crescent view. Starting near the old brick building that was the train station.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 12:13 PM
  #20  
freedomrider1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N.W.Ohio
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow shoveling today, Yippie.
freedomrider1 is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 04:30 PM
  #21  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,917

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider View Post
Quick 50k city to surf and back again. It was chilly incredibly windy and no sun, where did summer go ?
We've been asking ourselves that question down here for about 3 weeks. However, today (now that I'm back at work) the sun appeared.
Machka is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 05:38 PM
  #22  
italianstallion
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a couple of group rides this weekend.

Saturday was advertised as a B/B+ ride: 60 miles over one of the most hilly areas in Florida, with occasional re-groups after the hilly sections. No MPH was given to indicate what B/B+ meant to these guys but I decided to go anyway. The ride started off innocently enough, 20-25 riders on rolling terrain. As we continued on we started hitting the hills. It was great hitting 35-38mph descending some of these hills, but you had to work for them with some pretty good climbs. The first 30 miles we stuck together for the most part, only had one regroup. When we got to the halfway SAG stop, I noticed that our starting numbers had dwindled by about 5 or so riders. We set out again, and I had a good time drafting on the lead guy doing about 27-30 on a flat section, but eventually my heart rate spiked and I fell back to the middle of the pack. We were starting to get spread out again, so a combination of the leaders slowing up through a neighborhood and my desire not to get dropped got me back towards the faster riders in the group. After we stopped and regrouped at the top of a hill, it was back to more hills, where again the strong riders put an easy half mile between themselves and the rest of the pack. I rode with a pack of three guys, and we worked together making it up the hills. Some hills I'd be the first up, and on some I would be the last up. This continued until we caught the strong guys at the final regoup point. The final 15 miles of the ride a pack of six of us rode into town together. When we got back to the shop there were about three people already back there, then the six of us, and then everyone else I have no idea what happened to them, but they sure weren't in front of us. At the end of the day we had gone 60 miles, climbed 2,360 feet at an average pace of 17.5 mph. I definitely wasn't ready for the intensity, but I had a ton of fun suffering through it with everyone.

Today (Sunday) was a larger and more relaxed group ride. 18-21mph pace for about 45 miles with about 500 total feet of climbing...so pretty flat. After all the work my legs did yesterday, today was like swinging a single baseball bat after swinging two all day yesterday. It actually got me in a bit of trouble when I was pulling the group: I was pulling at 22-24 mph and I felt like I had more in the tank. Most of the guys up front were able to keep up, but those towards the back were struggling to keep pace through the turns and had to work to get back with the group. Lesson learned, I have to watch my speed when pulling. I finished off the ride with an additional 26 miles on my own for a nice even 71 miles, and a total of 131 for the weekend.
italianstallion is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 05:44 PM
  #23  
kbarch
Senior Member
 
kbarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Second longest ride of the year, but only 26 miles today in the city. Temps were in the 30s, roads mostly dry and not too salty. I'd been feeling lazy and sluggish all week, not getting any exercise at all, and thought I'd do poorly, but I had a good time, kept cadence up for the most part, and even got a little Strava trophy for Cat Hill (one of the little segments in the park, so although it's not difficult, it is very popular - 6/650 for the year), so I was pleased with that.
kbarch is offline  
Old 02-01-15, 05:49 PM
  #24  
kbarch
Senior Member
 
kbarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by italianstallion View Post
No MPH was given to indicate what B/B+ meant to these guys but I decided to go anyway.
Sounds like the B was not on account of lack of speed, but on account of lack of discipline. The A groups in the big club here seem to be all about discipline.
kbarch is offline  
Old 02-02-15, 04:50 AM
  #25  
Machka 
In Real Life
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,917

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by italianstallion View Post
I did a couple of group rides this weekend.

Saturday was advertised as a B/B+ ride: 60 miles over one of the most hilly areas in Florida, with occasional re-groups after the hilly sections. No MPH was given to indicate what B/B+ meant to these guys but I decided to go anyway. The ride started off innocently enough, 20-25 riders on rolling terrain. As we continued on we started hitting the hills. It was great hitting 35-38mph descending some of these hills, but you had to work for them with some pretty good climbs. The first 30 miles we stuck together for the most part, only had one regroup. When we got to the halfway SAG stop, I noticed that our starting numbers had dwindled by about 5 or so riders. We set out again, and I had a good time drafting on the lead guy doing about 27-30 on a flat section, but eventually my heart rate spiked and I fell back to the middle of the pack. We were starting to get spread out again, so a combination of the leaders slowing up through a neighborhood and my desire not to get dropped got me back towards the faster riders in the group. After we stopped and regrouped at the top of a hill, it was back to more hills, where again the strong riders put an easy half mile between themselves and the rest of the pack. I rode with a pack of three guys, and we worked together making it up the hills. Some hills I'd be the first up, and on some I would be the last up. This continued until we caught the strong guys at the final regoup point. The final 15 miles of the ride a pack of six of us rode into town together. When we got back to the shop there were about three people already back there, then the six of us, and then everyone else I have no idea what happened to them, but they sure weren't in front of us. At the end of the day we had gone 60 miles, climbed 2,360 feet at an average pace of 17.5 mph. I definitely wasn't ready for the intensity, but I had a ton of fun suffering through it with everyone.

Today (Sunday) was a larger and more relaxed group ride. 18-21mph pace for about 45 miles with about 500 total feet of climbing...so pretty flat. After all the work my legs did yesterday, today was like swinging a single baseball bat after swinging two all day yesterday. It actually got me in a bit of trouble when I was pulling the group: I was pulling at 22-24 mph and I felt like I had more in the tank. Most of the guys up front were able to keep up, but those towards the back were struggling to keep pace through the turns and had to work to get back with the group. Lesson learned, I have to watch my speed when pulling. I finished off the ride with an additional 26 miles on my own for a nice even 71 miles, and a total of 131 for the weekend.
Sounds like you had a couple good rides there!!
Machka is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.