View Single Post
Old 10-31-16, 11:26 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by carhillclimb
Late to the thread but a few questions from a single wedgie solo rider and racemuter.

Any way you know to get the XTR di2 front to work with standard road triple chainline of 45mm? My simple attempts failed and it appeared that I would need a zero-thickness derailleur mount, even on my Kona Zone that uses a clamp-on derailleur not a braze-on style.

Any way to run 24-42-50 or 24-42-52? It appeared to me that the cage was not long enough and I would have to do a cage extension. No I have never done a cage extension but I have read about it for cable shifting. I run 26-46 or 30-46 doubles with my road di2 today, and see no particular reason to get a triple with only 20 tooth total front difference. I do custom cassettes to get the close ratio gears where I want them rather than where Shimano thinks they should be, which is how I manage to be satisfied with a 26-46 double. The motivation for a triple is to get taller gears than 46-11 which I can now only pedal to 40mph instead of the 50mph I used to do, and also closer ratio gears in the 15mph range by using a standard 11-23 11 speed with the 42t middle. And still have 1:1 for going up my driveway at 11 PM on the way home from work and I am tired.

And as a completely different question - anybody tried di2 with the 11-40 cassette and 42-46 half-step or 30-46-50 half-step + "granny"? My 30 year old Santana tandem is half-step + granny 6 speed freewheel bar-end shifters and 27 inch wheels ...
Suggest reading through my posts from #79 onward. I created a solution for using the XTR Di2 Triple FD on a narrow chainline setup. Lots of addnl info there as well. During the last couple weeks we have been riding a fair amount steeper stuff in the hills SW of San Jose, CA using 48/36/26 rings and a 11-28 cassette. That has gotten us up many 8-14% slopes, but the going is sometimes a bit too tough for longer sections of >12% (stoker is still recovering from a foot injury and surgery last year). We have a 11-32 on hand, but have not used it yet with this triple ring combo... maybe this coming Saturday as I want to tackle some long climbing from the La Selva/Watsonville side (this week we are camped out a 1/2 mile from Calfee).

In a nutshell, this is working great...

Last edited by twocicle; 10-31-16 at 11:41 AM.