Old 01-02-19, 09:40 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Part weights

Originally Posted by berlinonaut
This seems not to be entirely true, following an old website.
I think the TW Brompton is different from Neobike Brompton.. I have seen many of them for years (had one myself) and none had the front luggage mount. Maybe I just haven't seen newer ones.

Would be interesting to know what the weight of the frames is. An Mk4 Brompton main frame weights about 2,1kg, the Brompton fork 560g (steel) or 260g (titanium), the Brompton rear frame 800g (steel) or 480g (titanium). The stem differs depending from the model - an S-stem weights about 880g, an H-stem about 910g, P and M about 810g.
Mine are 1271gr (for main frame) and 461gr for S-stem. I have seen pictures of ti frame that weighs as little as 1100gr, and S-stem as little as 380gr (maybe special ordered ones).
So 1.2~1.5kg saving over stock steel ones.

Regarding the "5kg lighter": A stock Brompton M2Ex (2-speed ti w/o rack, lights and blades) like your build weights around 9,7kg.
Yes, that's a bit of exaggeration, but here the Ni edition is only available as S2L-X configuration. It weighs 10.24kg on scale.
My build will be 4.39kg lighter than that.

S2L-X Ni scaled

But as it is far more expensive than an "ordinary" ti-Brommi a price comparison to your build would rather be with a ordinary model. In this case you would have plenty of money left to upgrade to the same lighter parts that you use on your build (and even more if you'd sell the stock parts).
Here even ordinary titanium Bromptons are quite expensive (almost $2.8K). I guess the Bromptons are cheapest in UK, but titanium ones are still around $2K USD. So titanium clone is still cheaper.
And honestly all the stock Brompton parts are quite crappy and has negligible resale value anyway nowadays (at least here... many people just use the frameset and dump the rest)