Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

CNN.com International Edition: "Texting driver charged in death"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-05, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Main headline in the sidebar of https://edition.cnn.com
Full link here.
It's good that news is getting around at least. Interestingly, it's not on the main U.S. edition webpage. Crux of the text is this:
HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colorado (AP) -- A teenager who allegedly hit a cyclist while driving and text messaging was charged with a misdemeanor, authorities said.

The 17-year-old was charged with careless driving causing death, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said. The charge carries a maximum sentence of one year in prison.
"Please give to the departed eternal rest - let light perpetual shine upon them."
Old 12-02-05, 03:20 PM

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It was on the afternoon broadcast, around 2 pm today (Friday.) They had images of the scene. Haunting.
Old 12-02-05, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rebroadcast again on Wolf's Situation Room at 4:20 Eastern on CNN Domestic
Old 12-02-05, 03:24 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WE all make mistakes--some bigger than others--but if that happened to say, my wife, I'm not sure I'd wait around for the misdemeanor court date to see 'justice' done.

Any reaction from the driver or family?
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 12-02-05, 03:43 PM
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driver or his family won't be on the news because he's a minor.
Old 12-02-05, 03:50 PM
MTWThFMuter

Bikes: schwinn, raleigh, 'dale, litespeed, bianchi, surly, novara, brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That article is about sydney (RIP): https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/155557-regarding-sydney.html

Last edited by Jeprox; 12-02-05 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-02-05, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Just ridiculous. A life is only worth UP TO a year in jail. Yeah, the kid is young, but at least he gets to live.

Koffee

Old 12-02-05, 04:22 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EricDJ
Driver or his family won't be on the news because he's a minor.
That doesn't stop them from comming forward and making a statement (apology).
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 12-02-05, 05:57 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Just ridiculous. A life is only worth UP TO a year in jail. Yeah, the kid is young, but at least he gets to live.

Koffee
That kid won't see anyting that resembles a jail. Our injustice system has no provisions for pedestrians hit by motor vehicles. We are the equivilant of road kill.
Old 12-02-05, 08:37 PM
Asshat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seeing as the kid was a minor, the punishment he is receiving is the norm. When I was in high school, a girl at my school drove recklessly, and managed to kill three of her friends who were in the car with her when she ran off the road (its a long story, but basically she turned her lights off on an unlit street at night). Three counts of vehicular manslaughter later, all she got was a suspended license and a slap on the wrist.

However, just because the boy only gets a few days in juvy, this doesn't stop the cyclist's family from filing a wrongful death suit in civil court (and I would recommend that this be done).

--Seth
Old 12-02-05, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Cinelli Unica, BP Stealth, K2 Razorback, Steel Bianchi roadie, Bianchi Super GL, Specialized Stumpjumper, and 3 beach cruisers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A whole year locked up sounds like the perfect punishment. He's still young, so a year really means something to him. He won't be texting in the joint, so maybe he'll break tha habit. It was an accident, so it's not like he's going to lead a life of crime from now on and needs to be eliminated from society. I think he just needs a year of his life taken away to think about what he did. I would be surprised if he didn't come out a very cautious person. If he kills or nearly kills anyone else, then he can be burned at the stake for all I care.
Yeah, but he won't ever see jail time.
Old 12-02-05, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by skingry
However, just because the boy only gets a few days in juvy, this doesn't stop the cyclist's family from filing a wrongful death suit in civil court (and I would recommend that this be done).
I wouldn't. And, from what I've gathered about Jim Price's wife and daughter, I don't expect them to. They don't seem like the vindictive-for-the-sake-of-retribution type.
As I've said before in another thread here, I'm pretty confident that said 17-year-old kid isn't going to be texting while driving ever again.
(Of course, this discussion reduces almost entirely to unprovable presuppositions about whether justice is fundamentally (a) restorative, (b) punative, or (c) retraining. And by unprovable, I mean that there is not empirical proof that justice should be one way over the others. Rather, these are belief commitments, deep in themselves, that may rest on deeper commitments to certain ends or means.)

What the cycling community would really benefit from here is a change in the overall legal structure's view of driving. It is presumed by most Americans as a right, and I think that it should be a tenuous privilege. Of course, such status would put economic growth in second (or more like seventh) place, and so I don't expect our government to do anything toward change in this direction. It's possible to socially engineer change in this direction apart from the government, but that is not going to be effectively started by a civil suit against a 17-year-old who feels like s*** right now. Got it?
Old 12-03-05, 12:52 AM
What's your Fetish, eh?

Bikes: 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Koffee
yup.. totally agreed. friday morning i heard the news on the radio when i was driving on the freeway.. and that just totally ruined my day. to think that kind of sentencing is given just cus he's young.. that's not acceptable.

RIP sydney.. he help me a lot with my Fetish build.. i'm gonna miss him.
Old 12-03-05, 01:55 AM

Bikes: Too many to count

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A maximum 1 year penalty in jail - what that means in reality is about 20 hours of community service.
Old 12-03-05, 02:32 AM

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thing about the age limit is: people (i.e. your elected representatives) who pass laws (i.e. criminal statutes) make policy decisions about age and standards for criminal liability. In most jurisdictions in the U.S., a negligent homicide (also referred to as involuntary manslaughter) receives a fairly low sentence (e.g. here in New York, it's 1-3 yrs*), and for someone under the age of 18, who's considered 'less blameworthy' because of their age, then that sentence is even lower. You may say, yes, but c'mon, a 17-yr old knows what they're doing, and they're old enough to drive, which is true, but the response to that is the "slippery slope" argument: if you make someone under 18 criminally liable as an adult, then exactly what age should they not be liable.

(*Note that even if this had been an adult, their maximum sentence would not be much higher.)

Tim Cupery put it well in stating that no one wants to age knowing that as a teen-ager, they killed a man because they were reckless with their cell-phones. I would think that this kid is going to have some heavy garbage hanging over their heads for a long time. And a longer prison sojourn would just be that much more likely to actually turn them into a violent criminal (imagine if the kid were to get 5-10 years.)

Here in NYC, the number of cyclists killed in traffic incidents this year (maybe twenty) has increased over last year, and there's been not one arrest. At least the local Colorado police and D/A are willing to state that there was a crime committed.

Now, none of this is to discount the idea that maybe those policymakers should draft statutes that offer more/any protection to cyclists from drivers, and generally create punitive disincentives to careless driving in the vicinity of cyclists. (Or, taken in another light, as someone mentioned above, maybe shift from the idea of the driver's license as right to license as privilege. But as that person posted, that would entail cyclist's advocacy groups out-lobbying deep-pocketed auto manufacturers with state legislators. Tough tough tough. Even if they were to get financial backing from Trek et. al., that'd be a one-sided fight.)

The final option for affording negative incentive is the civil lawsuit, which could or could not discourage similar situations from occurring. But Tim Cupery's probably right: kids just don't pick up on the potential risks until it's too late (part of the reason they're given leniency in these cases), and Jim's family doesn't sound like the type to want to sue; I don't think Jim would, either, even for the nose-picking, runt carpet smoker text-messagers...

Unfortunately, none of this makes the deafening silence from sydney any less saddening for me.

Last edited by peripatetic; 12-03-05 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-03-05, 07:05 AM

@peripatetic: thanks for taking the time to write out a careful message on the sydney in the CNN news thread, and put things even more in perspective. And I agree, it doesn't make sydney's not being around any better. Though most people think/feel that "doing something about it," even if ineffective and actually counterproductive, will feel better. This is often happens in death penalty cases - families want punishment and vengeance to be dealt to the killer, partly because of justice, and partly because they think it will give closure and make them feel better about what had happened. Thing is, it usually doesn't make them feel any better. This situation has been pretty well studied by criminologists, and is somewhat comparable to people in this forum calling for harsh punishment for the 17-year-old kid. I think it's pretty clear that doing so wouldn't help the kid, wouldn't make cyclists safer, and probably wouldn't make any of y'all actually feel better. Justice may sometimes demand vengeance, but it usually doesn't make people feel better even if they expect it to do so. Sometimes it's more disappointing because they expect it to do so.
Old 12-03-05, 08:33 AM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
There is a discussion of the charges, as well as the text of various laws that the driver could have been charged under, in this Advocacy thread. A prosecutor even chimed in to give his take.
Old 12-03-05, 08:55 AM
Scooby Snax

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
If that kid was selling weed at school he'd get a stiffer penalty.

Society has officially gone down the sh1ttube!!

Old 12-03-05, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The story was on the 6pm Friday Nashville news as well.
Old 12-03-05, 09:28 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Having been a passenger in a car which did hit and kill a kid on a bike (no charges, unavoidable accident), this youth will be haunted by it for the rest of his life.

Prision time is justified, but I think a bigger part of his sentence should involve speaking with others about his (in)actions. Preventing another death would seem more appropriate in this case.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 12-03-05, 09:45 AM

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I'm of the opinion that the kid does not deserve to be "put away" per say, rather he should be forced to do a lengthy community service to pay his debt and remind his what he did.

My larger concern is this whole cell phone nonsense in America; how many people must die before we have appropriate laws in place? My understanding is that countries like Japan ban all cell phone use while driving. There are other countries that have similar restrictions and seem to get along okay, so why not here?
Old 12-03-05, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd sue, but I would give the money up to promote bicycling safety. I don't think that's vindictive, and if every time this occured, victims exercised such actions, a message might just be sent. Driving any vehicle carries with it a large responsibility and the average American takes the seriousness of driving way too lightly.
Old 12-03-05, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby Snax
If that kid was selling weed at school he'd get a stiffer penalty.
Society has officially gone down the sh1ttube!!
Yeah, don't you long for the days when society used to punish irresponsible text-messaging use by auto drivers?
My point being, if you're talking about a trend and a decline, you need to make the case that things were better in the past, as well as that things are bad now.

Originally Posted by dobber
Prision time is justified, but I think a bigger part of his sentence should involve speaking with others about his (in)actions. Preventing another death would seem more appropriate in this case.
Exactly. I recommended in the initial "is sydney dead - news of sydney's death" thread that the kid be required to read all of the "we'll miss sydney - we appreciate sydney/bourdeaux/Rusty Cogs/etc." threads on the various forums, so that he can learn something about the guy and how many people appreciated him.
Old 12-03-05, 10:25 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
If the kid has any conscience, he feels pretty bad right now. And that will stay with him forever. It will likely have a profound effect on the rest of his life. If he has no conscience, there's not much anybody can do ..and he may get into deeper trouble someday anyway.

But I do agree that driving is a privilege, not a right. It doesn't seem extreme to me to revoke that privilege "forever" when someone takes a life. It would be the ultimate irony if he were forced to ride a bicycle for the rest of his life.
Old 12-03-05, 11:49 AM
beginner

Bikes: Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Koffee
That's very close to the way I feel about it.

In favor of lenient punishment:
  • The kid didn't mean to do any harm.
  • He's too young to fully understand what he did.

In favor of "harsh" punishment:
  • He killed a human being with a deadly weapon
  • He was operating the deadly weapon carelessly

Clearly, the kid doesn't deserve life in prison. But he does deserve a punishment worthy of his offense. The law says this type of offense is worthy of the loss of up to one year's liberty. That's not a small thing, especially for a 17-year-old. Six months in prison would certainly leave a permanent impression, and send a message to drivers that the kid's actions were Very Wrong.

The law also allows for recovery of damages by the victim, or in this case, the victim's -- sydney's -- heirs.

If the kid had destroyed someone's $50,000 Mercedes because he was too busy texting, how much of the value of the Mercedes would the kid be expected to pay for? All of it. Does anyone dispute that?

He deprived sydney of his life. He deprived sydney's loved ones of sydney. We can't put a true dollar price on the value of a human life -- but insurance companies do such things all the time.

The average 9/11 victim was "worth" about 2 million dollars. How much would an insurance company say sydney was "worth"? How much of that should the kid pay?

All of it.

No amount of money will bring sydney back, but a just penalty -- 6-12 months in jail + the "insurance company value" of sydney's life -- would give a measure of justice to sydney's heirs, would teach the kid the appropriate lesson and would send the appropriate message to all drivers: "if u kill, u pay."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.