Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Batavus Intercycle: how do i fold the stem

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 06:44 AM
Jasper

Bikes: '90 Peugeot Ventoux, Cornelo, '89 Gazelle Field Cruiser MTB, '83 Peugeot PFN10, '96 Gary Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a folding bike and yesterday i found out which brand it is. Mine had a paintjob in the past but yesterday I put my bike in the train and there she stood: an exact the same bike but with original paint.
It's a Batavus Intercycle.

The photo attached is not mine but the closest i could find. I have 2 questions regarding the stem. If I unscrew the handle/bolt thing on the screw nothing happens.. what is it meant for? Turning the bar or something? The second question is related I guess. My bike has a huge white knob on top of the stem/bar. Obviously to adjust the height or make the stem loose or something but that one doesnt work either...

What am i doing wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ACy_MNF0qpc_.jpg (50.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 06-30-06, 02:33 PM
first ATB

Bikes: Custom Electric 36V, Mercian, Klein, Performance, Iron Horse, and many others including home built

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those were very good designs for their day. they did not have enough Knee room for me. i owned a shop call "AAA Bikes" ans was a Batavus dealer in Georgia USA.

Enjoy it!!

Slim
Old 06-30-06, 03:00 PM
first ATB

Bikes: Custom Electric 36V, Mercian, Klein, Performance, Iron Horse, and many others including home built

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS.

I am not sure how yours is made but the "handle blot thing" on the models i saw allowed you to rotate the bar/stem or to slide it out for positioning.

Probably sieze up. Try loosening it and soaking with WD-40 or Brake fluid for severral hours and then giving it a rap with a rubber mallet. Careful not to get the fluids on the tires, paint or rubber!

As a last resort you can apply heat with a propane torch but not enought to bliser or ruin the chrome.

Slim
Old 06-04-07, 10:52 AM
Lekker fietsen!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
batafold parts?

I see you were mentioning being a Batavus dealer in the past - I just got a hold of a similar Batavus Batafold, and it's missing the seatpost and stem qr/clamps. Any idea where one might find these parts? I figure I'll have to ask people in the Netherlands as well. Thanks.
Old 06-04-07, 11:08 AM

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
The photo attached is not mine but the closest i could find. I have 2 questions regarding the stem. If I unscrew the handle/bolt thing on the screw nothing happens.. what is it meant for? Turning the bar or something? The second question is related I guess. My bike has a huge white knob on top of the stem/bar. Obviously to adjust the height or make the stem loose or something but that one doesnt work either...
It's a BataFold! I have one of these in blue that I built up as a 3-speed in 1974 while I was working at a bike shop in Berkeley. The handlebars don't fold, they rotate. To rotate you should first loosen the handle/bolt thing a bit. Then if you loosen the huge white knob you should be able to rotate the stem. As noted earlier in the thread, use some liquid wrench or WD-40 to help break the stem free the first time. The White knob is probably attached to a conventional stem wedge-nut of some type so you would have to loosen it and then whack it with something to knock the wedge-nut down. Then it should turn.

It was never the greatest design for a fast or small fold, but they ride OK. I built mine up from a frameset and never had the original stem so mine has a standard steel stem and drop bars. Does your's have the original steel crankset with a nut you can loosen to turn the pedal around to the inside of the bike?

The frame has horizontal dropouts that would be perfect for making it a fixed-gear bike. Probably has 120mm rear dropout spacing.

it's missing the seatpost and stem qr/clamps. Any idea where one might find these parts?
Good luck finding parts outside of Holland! Are you missing the seatpost or just the seatpost QR? Since it uses a square seatpost they are very difficult to find. The seatpost QR is just a "C" shaped piece of metal and you could make one if needed.

Last edited by Pine Cone; 06-04-07 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-04-07, 11:16 AM
Jasper

Bikes: '90 Peugeot Ventoux, Cornelo, '89 Gazelle Field Cruiser MTB, '83 Peugeot PFN10, '96 Gary Fisher Aquila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nowadays the bike is standing still, collecting dust

The stem broke and i don't know where to get a replacement stem. It seems to me just an ordinary 1" stem but extra long
Old 06-04-07, 12:02 PM

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
What broke on the stem? Any of the more modern folder 25.4mm stemposts would fit. They would give it a more compact fold.
Old 06-04-07, 12:15 PM
Jasper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hollow part where the steer itself runs through, torned open.

I have plenty of stems here which fit but they are all like 5cm high and i need like 30cm
Old 06-10-07, 12:37 AM
Lekker fietsen!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck finding parts outside of Holland! Are you missing the seatpost or just the seatpost QR? Since it uses a square seatpost they are very difficult to find. The seatpost QR is just a "C" shaped piece of metal and you could make one if needed.
I've got the seatpost - all I need is the QR. I would love to make one - can you suggest how I might go about it? Also, I have the headset collar for securing the stem, but no QR handle. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-07, 02:49 AM
Jasper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My QR is missing too. But because they are all over the place here i know how they look. The description above is pretty accurate.

In my case i just used a big bolt to secure it
Old 06-10-07, 11:22 AM
Lekker fietsen!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone post a closeup pic of the seatpost QR? I've been looking all over at pics of this type of bike, but can't quite figure out the mechanism.
Old 06-10-07, 12:59 PM
Jasper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have it either but you can see it pretty good in the picture in the OP.

It's like a "["
Old 06-10-07, 05:37 PM
too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For parts, an inquiry to Accel Group wouldn't hurt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batavus, link at bottom.