Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Foxwear winter clothing review

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Giant OCR Touring/Schwinn Moab3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Decided to try foxwear clothing after reading about them at IceBike. I am decidedly "cold" natured and thought this stuff was the ticket to riding this winter. Indiana has (to me) fierce winds and it cuts thru my clothing making me miserable when riding. I called foxwear and Lou (the owner ) answered the phone himself--he said he likes to work one on one with people. I chatted with him about materials and what would be best for me. He asked me for measurements and intended use (biking).
I ordered an Evap jacket in a two tone pattern. Yellow for the front and arms with a butternut color for the back. The front is midweight Windshield and PowderStretch is used for the sides, and under the arms and along the sides. Also ordered Powershield tights in regular weight (black), a pair of rain pants (blue), a powder dry long sleeve T-shirt (blue), 2 pairs of Powderstretch socks (1 blue, 1 black,) and a Powderstretch hat (blue). He said two weeks and that a bill would be included (Who do you know that does that?).
Two weeks later to the day, the mail person dropped off my package. It was pretty small for all the stuff I ordered. Opened the bag and every thing expanded---this stuff compresses well. I tried everything on and it couldnt have been better. It fit exactly right and was really comfy. Like a kid I went outside and rode my bike aound the block a few times. Great fit.
Over the next 2 weeks---the weather got colder and boy did it rain and blow. Perfect testing climate! Temps in the 30's and 40's. I layered everything (powder dry shirt, Evap jacket, J&G rain shell, rain pants and socks). Wind blowing thru the clothes did not happen--I did sweat (I sweat alot) but the clothing pulled it away from my skin so I didnt get the normal chill when I stopped. When it stopped raining, I just used the Evap jacket without the rain shell and the tights instead of the rain pants. I stayed warm and when I started to heat up I could control it with the front zip. The inner layers dried quickly.
I am not affiliated with Fow Wear in any way shape or form. For under $300 I got a complete set of hiking/biking clothing for all kinds of weather. I am most pleased with Lou's work (great stitching and fit) and expect my new clothes to last years. Just thought I would share my experiences.

Heres a link to fox Wear https://www.foxwear.net/

I've spent alot of money on clothing that either left me chilled with sweat /roasted or froze me. I was a bit leery of the "high tech" clothing. Well, I'm a believer now.
Dont get me wrong now---everybody is different and what works for me may not work for others!
All I can say is that Im very pleased with the material that Fox Wear uses and the fit and finish (as in "hand made")is first rate. If you want to chat with Lou, he'll answer any question you have about clothing and materials.
Fox Wear gets "2 thumbs up" from me.

The End!

Forgive the size bar on the pictures--wont happen again! I did indent but its not showing on my preview.
'01 Giant Yukon
I choose the way to go, but the road won't set me free

Last edited by GiantDave; 10-30-06 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 10:41 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of tights from Lou made out of 250weight powerstretch and so far they are exteemely warm and comfortable down to 30F in the light rain with nothing else on for the lower half. I'm working with him right now to have a shirt made for me. My plan is to ride down to 25F with only one layer of clothing on. Silly plan, I know, but it's something I want.
His clothing is great!!
Old 11-13-06, 05:37 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Opera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foxwear

I think Foxwear is terrific stuff. Yesterday I rode over three hours in 40 degree weather with Foxwear tights (over my bib shorts), a t-shirt, and a E-Vap jacket. I was toasty. I just called Lou at Foxwear and ordered another jacket, tights, t-shirts, and a couple of pairs of socks. What a pleasure to deal with Lou!

(not affiliated with Foxwear - just a happy customer)
Old 11-13-06, 09:01 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PseudoCrow
I think Foxwear is terrific stuff. Yesterday I rode over three hours in 40 degree weather with Foxwear tights (over my bib shorts), a t-shirt, and a E-Vap jacket. I was toasty. I just called Lou at Foxwear and ordered another jacket, tights, t-shirts, and a couple of pairs of socks. What a pleasure to deal with Lou!

(not affiliated with Foxwear - just a happy customer)
Foxwear and Lou are a Diamond in the rough. He is truly passionate about what he makes and it shows. I had him make me a pair of powershield tights a couple years ago. I am on my third winter with them and they are the best thing i have for winter cycling.

He custom made them to my size and I could not be happier. And the customer service, well, like you said, you don't get that anymore anywhere like you do with Lou. I got treated better when buying a pair of tights with Lou than i did when i bought my house or any car that i can think of. He's that good.
Old 11-14-06, 07:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sister just got a pair of tights from Lou and now wears them for everything except biking. She says they're warmer and more comfortable than normal heavy pants.
I received a postcard from Lou yesterday. No one has sent me a postcard in many years. That is personalized attention that can't be beat in todays market of mass emails and text messages. Lou's definitely on my Christmas card list!
Portis--your right about the feeling of being treated better than most. From my conversations with him, I get the impression he would rather lose money than upset a customer. His billing system shows a tremendous amount of trust and faith on his part.
'01 Giant Yukon
Old 11-18-06, 01:21 PM
Electro-Forged

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also a happy customer. My Evap Lite jacket it is the best. I told Lou I wanted something that blocked the wind in the front, had regular fleece in the back, and would be comfortable in 20-40 degree weather. He hit the bullseye.

Walter
Old 11-19-06, 07:10 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E Vap jackets are awesome! I can't see myself wearing anything but my wet-weather e-vap light jacket. He made it a bit big for me so that I can layer underneath it and it sheds water like a duck!
The tights I have are awesome too.
Today was freezing rain and snow, in the mid 30's. I had on just the tights, a moisture wicking shirt, and my evap jacket and it was perfect.
This guy knows what he is doing.
Old 12-17-06, 11:44 PM
Mutt Owner

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do Lou's pants/tights perform in heavy rain, has anyone experienced it?
Old 12-18-06, 03:22 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have the rain pants they'd be fine, check out the icebike.com review on them
as far as an evap jacket and my powerstretch tights go, heavy rain was not their intended use. The are water repellant/resistant not waterproof.
Old 12-21-06, 03:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah--you need the rain pants for water-proofness. The tights and Evap are ok for mist and light rain but not for anything heavier. I wear a J&G rain jacket over my Evap and the rain pants over the tights for the wet stuff--easy on and off.
'01 Giant Yukon
Old 12-22-06, 10:08 AM
franklin in

Bikes: specialized sworks road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding around Martinsville or anywhere hilly will challenge your clothing. Hot going up and frozen going down is tough this time of year. Luckily most hills are not very long so its not like you climbing mountains.
Old 12-22-06, 11:42 AM
Boffo Bikin'

Bikes: '04 Litespeed Classic 9sp Dura-ace, '03 Specialized Sequoia(for the gravel trails around DuPage Cty), '75 Fuji Finest (deep navy w/mixed components), '94 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those of you who have the Foxwear socks, do they keep your feet warm enough? I have always had a problem with my feet keeping warm in the 30's and 40's. Even using heavyweight wool, my feet freeze.
Old 12-26-06, 03:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Danddd
For those of you who have the Foxwear socks, do they keep your feet warm enough? I have always had a problem with my feet keeping warm in the 30's and 40's. Even using heavyweight wool, my feet freeze.
Lou sent me a pair of his socks that I can slip over my shoes (I cut holes for the cleats) ---my feet stay warm enough even at 12 degrees (the coldest its been here) The socks are windproof which helps alot. I have a regular pair of Foxwear socks that I put over some thin wool socks and have no problem riding in less that 30 F. I had an awfull time before with cold feet since moving to IN from GA.
'01 Giant Yukon
Old 12-27-06, 08:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My brother in law and nephew just ordered a complete kit--jackets, pants, socks for work in Buffalo NY. They do work for FEMA cleaning up downed trees and limbs. They asked me about Foxwear--I showed them and they called Lou right away and grilled him on the materials. They were quite impressed with Lou's knowledge of materials and clothing. My brother in law couldnt believe it when Lou said 1 week and the bill would be with the clothes.
'01 Giant Yukon
Old 12-28-06, 11:23 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GiantDave
Lou sent me a pair of his socks that I can slip over my shoes (I cut holes for the cleats) ---my feet stay warm enough even at 12 degrees (the coldest its been here) The socks are windproof which helps alot. I have a regular pair of Foxwear socks that I put over some thin wool socks and have no problem riding in less that 30 F. I had an awfull time before with cold feet since moving to IN from GA.
I got a pair of the oversocks too. I plan to wear them over my Lake Winter Boots to extend the comfort range. Temps have been pretty moderate here lately but i did wear them once when it was 18 F and everything was fine. I think they are going to help at least some.
Old 12-28-06, 12:43 PM
Zinophile

Bikes: Spectrum Ti, Spectrum Track and Lemond Propad

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lou is the best. I have been a satisfied customer for 5 years,
Old 04-16-12, 04:01 PM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just found out about Foxwear, and he doesn't even charge extra for bigger sizes~! All he wants are my measurements, and he told me how to get them too. Now all I need is the $$$ to place my order
Old 09-07-12, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fall fog season is here(replacing the summer fog season) here on CA's north coast and it's cold, need some tights. Looks like I've found the right place thanks to the forum!
Old 09-07-12, 10:17 PM

Bikes: giant revel 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Were you out riding on friday? What a downpour.