Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra STI shifter problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had a shift cable break in the Ultegra STI shifter for the rear gears. I am trying to fit a new cable and it seems like the old nipple might be still hiding in the mechanism. The shifter only indexes about 3 clicks back and forth, not nine, and the index wheel does not seem to be rotating. I can't see the small hole were the nipple is meant to sit. What is the best way to try and check the old nipple is not jamming the mechanism? Do I have to stip down the whole system? Looks a bit complicated in there . Ideas anyone?
Thanks, Ian.
Old 03-08-07, 05:08 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
A very limited strip down can be done, but it is very easy
to go beyond the point of recovery. Shimano deliberately
designed and built these shifters to be non repairable.
Although some people have managed to get them apart,
once this is done reassembly is usually found to be not
feasible unless you have watchmaker skills. It is certainly
possible that the works are jammed by the nipple, but there
really isn't enough room for the nipple to completely come
loose and float around. You might be able to unload the
ratchet by a partial squeeze on one of the shifter levers and
judicious rapping on the shifter while it is on one side or the
other, (horizontal, not vertical) and reseat the nipple.
Old 03-08-07, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had this happen to me where the nipple unseated but I had enough cable to grab to give the mechanism a good yank while shifting. My guess is you have no cable showing? If you squeeze the brake can you see any cable? If so try to route it through the exit hole where you can pull on it with a vise grip. good luck.
Old 03-08-07, 06:27 AM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a toothed gear that should be visible behind where the take-up reel for the cable is located. You may have to pull down on the handle for the brake and shove a rag or something to keep the shifter innards in view.

Using a screwdriver, simultaneously push one of the gear's teeth counterclockwise (looking from the back of the bike) and shift up as if you are trying to get to the highest cog on the RD. Between the shifting and the pushing with the screwdriver, you should be able to get to where the old nipple/anchor is located.
Old 03-08-07, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I managed to fix it! Horray!
I separated the shifter into two parts by removing the lever pin and managed to extract the sensor cable (What the hell is this thing for, apart from making maintenance really hard?)

With the front of the shifter on my bench, a bright light and some watchmaker tools, I managed to force the cog round as NoRacer suggests. This normally is pushed by a return spring, but the jammed nipple meant there was not enough force from this spring. Triggered the inner shift lever and levered the cog. The cable groove turned and delivered the old nipple. Then had to re-assemble. The sensor cable had got detached from a small rubber backing, so put some superglue on it and it seemed to fix the problem. The brake lever pin spring is a pain, but managed to set it up correctly. All back together and new cable fitted. My girlfriend is very happy she is back on the road again. Feeling very pleased with myself!