Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old tube as patch material?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 09:13 AM
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, there. I'm a relative mechanical newbie. I'm also a cheapskate who hates to throw things out, so I tend to patch tubes that can be patched instead of just throwing them out if they only have one or two holes.

I'm finding that I go through patches faster than I go through the glue to attach them, so as I go through patch kits, I'm accumulating partial glue tubes, still usable scuffers, and empty plastic boxes that the patches come in. Instead of buying a new patch kit just to get the patches, I'm wondering if I can just cut patches from old unpatchable tubes. Does that work just as well as store-bought patches?
Old 09-03-07, 09:22 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6247 Post(s)
Liked 4,270 Times in 2,392 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBrooking
Hi, there. I'm a relative mechanical newbie. I'm also a cheapskate who hates to throw things out, so I tend to patch tubes that can be patched instead of just throwing them out if they only have one or two holes.

I'm finding that I go through patches faster than I go through the glue to attach them, so as I go through patch kits, I'm accumulating partial glue tubes, still usable scuffers, and empty plastic boxes that the patches come in. Instead of buying a new patch kit just to get the patches, I'm wondering if I can just cut patches from old unpatchable tubes. Does that work just as well as store-bought patches?
You'll probably find that an old tube doesn't work as well as a patch. They tend to be too thick and covered in talc. Adhesion isn't as good either. However there is a solution to buying patch kits. The Third Hand sells Rema patches in boxes of 100 for around $15 and spare glue tubes too. That way you can use those old boxes
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-03-07, 10:22 AM
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You'll probably find that an old tube doesn't work as well as a patch. They tend to be too thick and covered in talc. Adhesion isn't as good either. However there is a solution to buying patch kits. The Third Hand sells Rema patches in boxes of 100 for around $15 and spare glue tubes too. That way you can use those old boxes
Wait a moment; we had a shortish thread about JUST this very problem here, a while ago, and the initiator told us that old tubes worked great for patching.

I think cleaning the tube and the "patching tube" thoroughly to remove traces of grease, is critical. But after that, the tube will stick very well.
Old 09-03-07, 11:29 AM
coffeeeeee

Bikes: all that I ride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you have to sandpaper both the tube and patch to clean the surfaces and you must also apply rubber cement to both to ensure proper adhesion. The Rema patches don't need glue because they are already de-vulcanized.
It works, but it's really only ideal as a shop fix when you have the time to let everything dry properly. I haven't had a problem using old inner tubes as patches... yet.
Old 09-03-07, 11:44 AM
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle
you have to sandpaper both the tube and patch to clean the surfaces.
You know, I found this not to be true: I use a paper tissue with alcohol to clean the surfaces, let it dry (takes a few seconds) and apply the cement - and this seems to be quite enough. Not a single patch has separated afterwards. On the other hand, I had patches not stick perfectly, if I relied on sandpapering only.
Old 09-03-07, 12:03 PM
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
You know, I found this not to be true: I use a paper tissue with alcohol to clean the surfaces, let it dry (takes a few seconds) and apply the cement - and this seems to be quite enough. Not a single patch has separated afterwards. On the other hand, I had patches not stick perfectly, if I relied on sandpapering only.
This has been my experience as well. If you have never tried this type of patch, why not experiment? Scissors will cut up a tube easily.

Whatever the patch, let the cement dry per the instructions.

I tend to install the patched ones after testing with moderate pressure first.
Old 09-03-07, 12:13 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 893 Posts
Try patching the old cut up tube with a patch from itself for practice. All you have to lose is a bit of rubber cement, and you have plenty of that.
You may find one cleaning method works better than another for you.
The main thing in cleaning is you want to remove the old surface layer of oxidized rubber. There shouldn't be any grease on it unless you put it there.
Old 09-03-07, 01:08 PM
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
There shouldn't be any grease on it unless you put it there.
You put grease everywhere your fingers or your skin touch. It's not a lot of grease, but it's plenty to prevent the patch from sticking correctly.
Old 09-03-07, 01:16 PM
Grumbly Goat

Bikes: bicycles with round wheels

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those little foil sealed alcohol wipes are the best thing to carry in a ptach kit.

sand the tube, wipe clean with the alkyhol wipe, apply glue, let cure for a miunte or two, apply patch and pressure.
Old 09-03-07, 01:25 PM
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by Bushman
those little foil sealed alcohol wipes are the best thing to carry in a ptach kit.
Absolutely! Sadly, I can't find any with actual alcohol, here in Finland. They all are with water. I'm thinking of buying a bunch as soon as I visit a country that's not as much of a nanny state as my otherwise beautiful Finland.
Old 09-03-07, 02:20 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBrooking
John, tire tubes have lots of uses when you can't repair them. They make excellent tie-downs when cut up, for instance.

Check these links out:
https://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/tubes
https://www.pacificpublishingcompany....d=515218&rfi=6
https://www.treehugger.com/files/2005...d_bike_t_1.php
https://keetsa.com/blog/recycle/bike-...-recycled-bag/
https://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2001...tubetips.shtml
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 09-03-07, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This has been discussed before many times.

Let me save you the trouble of learning for yourself. Old tire innertubes do not make good patch material.

Real patches are cheap and they work much better. Patches are tougher and they hold on to the tube better.
Old 09-03-07, 06:23 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6247 Post(s)
Liked 4,270 Times in 2,392 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
Absolutely! Sadly, I can't find any with actual alcohol, here in Finland. They all are with water. I'm thinking of buying a bunch as soon as I visit a country that's not as much of a nanny state as my otherwise beautiful Finland.
Most all isopropyl alcohol, whether in wipes or in the bottle, is cut with water. Seldom do you find it over 75% alcohol. It's a flammability thing. More water means a higher flash point which means safer to handle. But 75% will usually get the job done...for sterilization Heck, 25% will kill most anything. Try methanol or 190 proof ethanol (Everclear here).
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-03-07, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll try it with some plain fingernail polish remover. The kind with no added oils or perfumes.
Old 09-03-07, 06:48 PM
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Nice links Donna.

I've used that last one a few times. Now I save thorn-resistant tubes in sizes to fit frame tubes tightly. They work great as chainstay protectors for full suspension bikes as the thicker section can be run at the top where the chain would tear up standard tubes. A little disassembly, a little soap and you have a clean looking guard with no zip ties.
Old 09-03-07, 07:55 PM
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, all. I might just go with those Rema patches, cyccommute. (Geez, you and DonnaMB are on all the boards I visit!)
Old 09-03-07, 08:31 PM

Bikes: 2007 Norco Katmandu, building a 2006 Norco Bigfoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry if this is a repost, but...

i once read somewhere that patches are only desingned to hold half the pressure, and are just to get you home. say you inflate to 40psi, that means 3 patches and your down to 5psi. ok, thats a little unrealistic, but id just go buy a new nube, and keep a patch kit with you on the trail
Old 09-03-07, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by norco_rider77

i once read somewhere that patches are only desingned to hold half the pressure, and are just to get you home. say you inflate to 40psi, that means 3 patches and your down to 5psi. ok, thats a little unrealistic, but id just go buy a new nube, and keep a patch kit with you on the trail
hmm.... ive never had a problem running a patched tube at 120PSI.
Matter of fact, the rear tube on my roadie currently has 3 patches on it (yesterday was rough) and its held pressure all night last night, and I rode it to and from work today without issue.

there may be a pressure limit with some stick on patches, but I dont use those unless I absolutely need to. (BTW, the little stick on patches that come in the kit at Target work surprisingly well if you are in a bind.)
Old 09-03-07, 09:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cut up inner-tubes make great industrial-strength rubber bands to hold your skiis together.
Old 09-03-07, 10:43 PM

Bikes: 2007 Norco Katmandu, building a 2006 Norco Bigfoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
target is non-existing in Canada, and i just buy new tubes, i dont get many flats, only a couple this summer since i got the wrong tubes (too thin)
Old 09-03-07, 11:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
target is non-existing in Canada, and i just buy new tubes, i dont get many flats, only a couple this summer since i got the wrong tubes (too thin)
Yeah, I used to just buy new tubes when I had a flat maybe once a year... but I had over 20 flats this year so started to patch them each tube (4) have over 5 patches on them and they work great with 90psi. I think I'll give the tube patch a try since I also have an extra glue left from the 20patch kit.
Old 09-04-07, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts

Not true - in my experience, patches that are put on properly last "forever" and hold pressure like the rest of the tube whether that be 50 lbs or 120. I've never noticed any difference, unless I do a poor job putting on the patch. Then, it is not a subtle difference, it just plain doesn't hold air - and when inspected, has an obvious leak.
Old 09-04-07, 03:12 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Another issue with using old tubes is that the rubber does degenerate. I use to use old tubes. But after spending alot of time trying to figure out what was going wrong with my patches I decided it just was not worth the effort. I'd definitely use it in a pinch, but my confidence is not as high as I would like with them. It sucks to be walking .
Old 09-04-07, 04:45 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think most patches are also a bit thinner.
Old 09-04-07, 05:04 PM
Sir Fallalot

Originally Posted by masiman
Another issue with using old tubes is that the rubber does degenerate. I use to use old tubes. But after spending alot of time trying to figure out what was going wrong with my patches I decided it just was not worth the effort. I'd definitely use it in a pinch, but my confidence is not as high as I would like with them. It sucks to be walking .
How or why exactly does rubber degenerate, in your view? Cause, the patch from a tube should last like the tube itself, no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.