Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Terrific 18-speed Brompton Mod.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

A member of folder community in SK just completed his brompton MOD. It's the second best-looking brompton I've seen so far (excluding UFB :] )

He started with secondhand taiwan brompton (Which is sold at around $300), disassembled & re-painted the whole frame, got custom 130mm-spaced rear frame for cassette hubs (ordered from japanese custom shop) and custom FD clamp to build a 18-speed brompton.

Wheelsets are built using 355mm birdy rims and 74mm/130mm AM classic hubs. (Also available from japanese shop) 18" stelvio tires are fitted.

The bike look damn cool with all black outfit.

Custom FD adaptor and double crankset

cassette rear hub and 9-speed cassette

wire chain retainer is used (ala birdy)

paul levers / thumbie/DA shifters

Yes, it does fold.

Last edited by Raxel; 03-11-08 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-11-08, 05:30 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Wow, nice Raxel!
Old 03-11-08, 05:58 AM

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Raxel,

You gotta stop posting all this bike bling, mate.......my jealous heart can only take so much, you know....
Old 03-11-08, 06:19 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
s w e e t . Is it fast then?

What is the 'best' looking one then? (I don't know what UFB is)

Last edited by LittlePixel; 03-11-08 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-11-08, 06:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
That’s a piece of art. Rear derailleur seems to be very low when in low gear. The handle-bar fitting isn’t very clear – seems interesting. And those rims are lovely. Great work!
Old 03-11-08, 07:32 AM

Bikes: 2009 Brompton S6R-X, 2001 RM Birdy Silver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice Brommie (the FD mod is nuts, so is the wire retainer)... I don't know about that saddle though...

Any weight figures for the weight weenie's Raxel?
Old 03-11-08, 07:57 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevegor
Raxel,

You gotta stop posting all this bike bling, mate.......my jealous heart can only take so much, you know....
+1. My sentiments exactly!
Old 03-11-08, 08:10 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Are those BikeFriday bars?
I like the idea of 355 (used on Moultons too I believe) wheels - just that wee bit bigger than standard. I was considering that size for my fixie one (link in my sig if you haven't already seen it) but it was a gamble too far with an already tricky conversion. And I couldn't find rims with the right drilling. But they look mean here - esp with no machined braking surfaces.

Any hints on how much the wider rear triangle cost?
Old 03-11-08, 09:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
s w e e t . Is it fast then?

What is the 'best' looking one then? (I don't know what UFB is)
UFB=Ultimate Folding Bike

https://homepage.mac.com/lenrubin/PhotoAlbum1.html
UFB The Ultimate Folding Bicycle UFB

Raxel, keep posting your mates bikes, really nice
Old 03-11-08, 09:51 AM

Yes the handlebar used is bike friday H-bars.
He also used satori stem (the one used in dahon speed pro TT) to set proper reach of the handlebar.

355 size is Birdy wheel size. (Moultons use 369 sized ones)
Upsizing to 355 has many benefits. You can use light and strong DA16 rims, 355 stelvios are much easiers to get(At least here in SK), and you can use better brakes with shorter reach. However you probably have to remove the fenders due to clearance problem. (like this bike)

Wider rear frame is sold at around $200 in japan. Although you can widen the frame by force as they are steel, that may lead to chain rubbing problems. But it works great with fitting 5, 8, or even 14-speed hubs to brompton.
Old 03-11-08, 10:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a word: Wow!

Is the Merc frame made to the same specs as the Brompton, just a different place?
Old 03-11-08, 10:32 AM
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith
In a word: Wow!

Is the Merc frame made to the same specs as the Brompton, just a different place?
No.

The merc frame is an aluminium one, machine welded. Brompton's is steel (i don't know what spec) and is more or less hand brazed in jigs. The Merc frame may differ in tiny ways from Merc dimensions. I found that I had to spring the Steve Parry front derailier clamp that was made for the Brompton. I felt that my Merc frame may have been about 1.5 mm larger on the down tube where the clamp fitted. Obviously steel frames have a longer fatigue life than aluminium, but having said that, properly dimensioned alu frames will last an exceedingly long time. I doubt I'll ever break my Merc frame.

Brompton made agreements with a far eastern firm called Neobike who they later fell out with over quality and contractual matters when neobikes began to leak into Europe which was never supposed to happen. Neobike sold the drawings and tooling to others. Grace- Gallant now make them in the form sold as Merc here, but as Flamingobike elsewhere. I notice that Flamingobike have now dropped the Brompton lookalike frame and have a strange pressed alluminium girder in more or less Brompton shape, but it could never be confused for a Brompton now, unlike the Merc, which could if people didn't look closely and see what it was made of.

Flamingobike girder frame ->

Earlier Flamingobike Brompton type frame ->

EDIT:

I have changed an error in the original post which implied that Raxel's frame was probably a merc one. It isn't.

Last edited by EvilV; 03-11-08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 10:40 AM
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very Nice!
Old 03-11-08, 10:51 AM

Bikes: Swift folder, single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful. That whole job must have caused a pretty penny. The rear derailleur looks like it might scrape the ground on turns on the small cog.
Old 03-11-08, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by EvilV
No.

The merc frame is an aluminium one, machine welded. Brompton's is steel (i don't know what spec) and is more or less hand brazed in jigs. The Merc frame may differ in tiny ways from Merc dimensions. I found that I had to spring the Steve Parry front derailier clamp that was made for the Brompton. I felt that my Merc frame may have been about 1.5 mm larger on the down tube where the clamp fitted. Obviously steel frames have a longer fatigue life than aluminium, but having said that, properly dimensioned alu frames will last an exceedingly long time. I doubt I'll ever break my Merc frame.

When Raxel says the bike has a Taiwan Brompton frame, he must mean a merc one I think. Brompton made agreements with a far eastern firm called Neobike who they later fell out with over quality and contractual matters when neobikes began to leak into Europe which was never supposed to happen. Neobike sold the drawings and tooling to others. Grace- Gallant now make them in the form sold as Merc here, but as Flamingobike elsewhere. I notice that Flamingobike have now dropped the Brompton lookalike frame and have a strange pressed steel girder in more or less Brompton shape, but it could never be confused for a Brompton now, unlike the Merc, which could if people didn't look closely and see what it was made of.
No, so-called TW brompton is NOT merc.
It was made in taiwan by Neobike under licence, and sold only to eastern countries.
TW brompton is made of steel, and they are almost the same as old (pre-2000) bromptons.
It uses very cheap components but is 100% compatible with modern brompton parts.
(Even front/rear frame assembly can be swapped)
Compared to modern bromptons made in UK, they are slightly smaller and has slightly larger main tube.

Many people choose TW brompton for modification because they are so cheap.
If you are lucky you can get one less than $100. I used to own one myself for which I paid $250.

Last edited by Raxel; 03-11-08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 12:51 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raxel
Wider rear frame is sold at around $200 in japan. Although you can widen the frame by force as they are steel, that may lead to chain rubbing problems. But it works great with fitting 5, 8, or even 14-speed hubs to brompton.
That isn't bad. Getting a regular rear triangle from Brompton will probably be in the same ballpark.
Old 03-11-08, 12:55 PM
Bicycling Gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was made in taiwan by Neobike under licence, and sold only to eastern countries.
TW brompton is made of steel, and they are almost the same as old (pre-2000) bromptons.
It uses very cheap components but is 100% comparible with modern brompton parts.
Compared to modern bromptons made in UK, they are slightly smaller and has slightly larger main tube.

If you are lucky you can get one less than $100. I used to own one myself for which I paid $250.
Oh - thanks for the information. I have now edited that erroneous comment out of my original post above and left a comment that it has been removed.

I thought that neobike had collapsed. Someone told me that. I believe that the Flamingobike / merc copies came from neobike material from their collaboration with Brompton. Someone told me they sold tooling and production drawings. This could just be a rumor though.

Last edited by EvilV; 03-11-08 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 12:55 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do you have an online source for such a rear triangle?
Old 03-11-08, 12:57 PM

Its wheel size is the same as birdy, which also uses long cage rear derailleur.
So the bike has the same ground clearance as birdy bike.
The owner says there are no clearance problem even in conering.

I don't know about its weight.. but it must be pretty light compared to original one.
(I guess 9~10kg range)
Stock Brompton parts are DAMN heavy.
I almost fainted out when I put my brompton rear wheel on the scale.
Geared rear wheel alone weighed roughly two kilograms....
Compare that to new 406-sized Tyrell AM7 wheelset which weighs only 970g for F&R.
Old 03-11-08, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblehand
Do you have an online source for such a rear triangle?
Here:

https://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b82271374
My memorry was a bit incorrect. It was sold at 29500 yen.
I am not sure the rear frame is still available or not.
Old 03-11-08, 02:19 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'd guess the weight it more nearer 10/10.5kg than nine. My fixie one (also a Flamingo frame) is 8.9kg and that has Titanium EVERYTHING, carbon cranks and no mechs or rear calipers.
I'd definitely be interested in the wheels sometime - though I just built my Velocity aeroheats and have no complaints so far. Don't quite know how I didn't think of the birdy size. Pfft!

Old 03-11-08, 03:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It uses very cheap components but is 100% compatible with modern brompton parts.

Great! I will try to pick one up. I'm not crazy about Brompton's pricing because I have thought if I bought one I'd strip it all off and start over anyway. Hopefully I can get one of these frames so I have bike I can litterally throw in a suitcase without disassembly.
Old 03-11-08, 03:35 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Compare that to new 406-sized Tyrell AM7 wheelset which weighs only 970g for F&R.
Are those Tyrell wheels for sale separately? If so, can you provide a link?

*drool*
Old 03-11-08, 03:52 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
My fixie one (also a Flamingo frame) is 8.9kg and that has Titanium EVERYTHING, carbon cranks and no mechs or rear calipers.

Hey ... why is there a Brompton logo on your bike?
Old 03-11-08, 06:17 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
Hey ... why is there a Brompton logo on your bike?
Because it basically is one - like the one at the top of the page!
Ok so the frame is a clone but the stem, triangle, seatpost, brake-calipers, tighteners, forks, pentaclip are all Bromptons finest...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.