Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fuji Opus III

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fuji Opus III

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 07:11 PM

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Fuji Opus III

This is a little 1984 Fuji Opus III I bought off my local CL earlier in the year. It's a 54 cm frame - too small for me but just right for my son. It's a double 7 speed w/ mostly Suntour Superbe. The original seat and pump are present. Dig that Hatta Swan headset. A new one costs as much as I paid for the bike!

It had Ambrosio clinchers but one was cracked so it's getting NOS era-correct Arayas. Rear wheel is finished - my first build. Wasn't so hard.

This bike was bought new at Frank's Cycle Barn - note the decal below shifters. I am the 3rd owner. I could tell from 100 feet away that I would buy it without haggle. Having arrived short in cash, I told the seller that I would go to the bank for the needed $20 difference. He was so afraid of losing the sale he said he'd take what I had. My kind of deal.

It has been completely disassembled, inspected, cleaned/polished/lubricated and rebuilt. With my son's help it now sets as you see it. Just excellent.

The bar tape is hand dyed w/cotton raw stock courtesy of Scott Ryder, Fuji enthusiast. It is brilliant. He got half the tape for the big brother to this one.

Details and serial number were posted at the time of purchase but I'll repeat for T-Mar's data base if wished.

Also, Robatsu, when it's fully built (shortly), I'll send you the full story for your splendid website.

More bikes/pics to come.

Cheers.

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Opus III.jpg (94.4 KB, 83 views)
Opus III f.jpg (87.3 KB, 73 views)
Opus III front.jpg (85.1 KB, 74 views)
Opus III seat lug.jpg (79.1 KB, 67 views)
Opus III 9658 decal.jpg (54.0 KB, 56 views)
Opus III shifters.jpg (84.1 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by afilado; 07-02-12 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 07:22 PM

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
that's a great bike for an incredible deal. hope your son loves the new ride...
Old 09-15-08, 07:34 PM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
That's beautiful. I never find deals like that...just rusted out hulks.
Old 09-15-08, 07:47 PM
Great State of Varmint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I agree - nice find! That looks like it's new - did you fall through a time-warp? Tell your kid he's a lucky camper.
Old 09-15-08, 08:14 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I always like to see bikes in that condition fall into the hands of someone who appreciates what they've found. That's great. Enjoy riding with your son.
Old 09-16-08, 01:42 PM

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Hey Banzai, are you in fact a jet jockey, a for-real pilot? How about a few details if you don't mind.

As a kid, I had great ambitions to become a pilot but knew I never could because of poor eyesight. Next to flying, motorcycles and bikes are pretty good substitutes for that thrill of speedy independence.
Old 09-17-08, 08:28 PM

Bikes: Cinelli, Legnano, Schwinn Paramount, Ron Cooper, Holland, Lighthouse, Miyata 1000, Centurion Pro-Tour, Volkscycle Mark XX.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nice Fuji Opus

Nice Fuji Opus. I have the same bike. You can see the photos on the Fuji Otaku website. Can you let me know the serial number on yours? Mine is C303.

Stevie B
Old 09-17-08, 09:04 PM

Stevie, the serial number is E 414. Full details, posted soon after I acquired it are in another "Fuji Opus III" thread in late December 2007, posted by forum member, mfavero. If you have trouble finding it and want more info let me know.

BTW, I've seen your bike. Sweet. Now, if I only had one my size to ride........

Originally Posted by Stevie B
Nice Fuji Opus. I have the same bike. You can see the photos on the Fuji Otaku website. Can you let me know the serial number on yours? Mine is C303.

Stevie B
Old 09-18-08, 07:44 AM
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by afilado
Stevie, the serial number is E 414. Full details, posted soon after I acquired it are in another "Fuji Opus III" thread in late December 2007, posted by forum member, mfavero. If you have trouble finding it and want more info let me know.

BTW, I've seen your bike. Sweet. Now, if I only had one my size to ride........
Like this?

Old 09-18-08, 11:44 AM

Talk about moving on up..........wait, wait a minute........that bar tape looks dusty. I guess I'll just have to keep looking. ;~)

Originally Posted by Scottryder
Like this?