Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

SS "Slumber Party Beast"

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

SS "Slumber Party Beast"

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
SS "Slumber Party Beast"

bike 001.jpg

bike 002.jpg

bike 003.jpg

bike 004.jpg

Single speed, coaster brake abomination. Early 90s Cannondale "Beast of the East" M800 frame; "Slumber Party" 20" kids bike wheels (free, from the dump). Way-high BB on M800 frame makes this at all possible. Had to swap out the axel and respace the hub. Wheel is centered, chainline is not optimal--wheel would need to be dished to get this kosher for realz.

This is just an intermediate stage, proof of concept on the cheap, when considering 20" rims for current commuter drum brake setup. If I didn't have another coaster brake monstrocity, I'd consider keeping this together. If I do go through with it, I'll keep the current 27sp configuration, but thought ya'll might get a kick out of this clown bike. Too lazy to delete shifters and brake levers for this intermediate phase.

Last edited by mconlonx; 10-12-08 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-12-08, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its kinda hot. Maybe its the pink.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Beast of the East designed to run a 26" front wheel and a 24" rear? If so, how does running two wheels of the same size effect handling/geometry.

I once built a similar bike. Not really. A geared kids bike with a 20" rear wheel and a 26" front fork and wheel. It fit nicely in my car, I could ride it 5 miles to work, and it manualed like no other. It kinda rocked.

Keep us posted.

-Rob.
Old 10-13-08, 02:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling is apparently popular at slumber parties.
Old 10-14-08, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by robcycle
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Beast of the East designed to run a 26" front wheel and a 24" rear? If so, how does running two wheels of the same size effect handling/geometry.
24/26? Huh. Never heard that. This is a '92-ish frame, if that makes any difference. I was using drum brakes anyway, on matching 26" rims--bike sure is twitchy, but I thought that was the whole deal with these "built for tight east coast singletrack" bikes. The high BB and tight steering made it great for commuting in traffic. Looking at where the canti mounts end up with the 20" wheels mounted, I can totally see where 24/26 might be how it was intended...
Old 10-14-08, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From your description it makes sense. Twitchy with wheels the same size (HTA too steep?), abnormally high BB (back wheel too big?). In all honesty, I have never seen one with my own eyes. My exposure is through a Dirt Rag Brain Fart. It does appear that they did make some 26/6ers .

Anyway, cool bike. Thanks for sharing it, and be sure to update us as it progresses

-Rob.
Old 10-14-08, 05:25 PM
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like that frame. I used to sweat the beast of the east frame in the ninties - it was created to achieve a high BB but result in crappy handling so it might MIGHT actually work with that. epic project of feminine proportions.