Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Darkening a New Honey Brooks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 09:45 AM
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

Well, not so much darkening as aging, perhaps...

I have a 1950s Brooks Professional on my Chesini Pista and after a mere 3 months of use it's showing signs of not being up to the job; cracks and things like that appearing in what was a very clean saddle.

Seems a shame so I've just ordered a new Professional but they only come in Honey or Black and I'd like darkish brown. Black wouldn't look right (to me) and Honey is too light for the green chrome velato frame.

Anyone know how to darken a Honey-coloured Brooks without ending up with brown stains on the seats of your pants?

This is the bike:

Last edited by Dawes-man; 05-27-11 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 09:55 AM
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The honey color will darken over time naturally, and with the use of proofide.

I suppose you could also try dyeing it a darker brown.
Old 04-05-10, 09:56 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
It will darken by itself.

If you're impatient, I guess I'd try tea. Make a cup of strong black tea (the real thing, not some herbal stuff), paint it on with a soft brush, and let it dry in the sun. Do not ride it until it is thoroughly dry. It will darken immediately, and may continue to darken over the course of a week or so.
Old 04-05-10, 10:00 AM
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Has anybody tried shoe polish? Does it rub off badly? I've been wondering the same thing with a honey newish B17 that came on a CL bike.

Last edited by beech333; 04-05-10 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 10:01 AM
十人十色

Originally Posted by rhm
It will darken by itself.

If you're impatient, I guess I'd try tea. Make a cup of strong black tea (the real thing, not some herbal stuff), paint it on with a soft brush, and let it dry in the sun. Do not ride it until it is thoroughly dry. It will darken immediately, and may continue to darken over the course of a week or so.
Ah, tea! I drink about 5 cups a day of that and always come back from England with a stock of finest Assam. Got loads in the kitchen. Thanks!
Old 04-05-10, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Proof-hide will darken it somewhat, but not a lot. I've found that heating leather up a bit before application tends to increase the darkening effects - although I have not tried this on a saddle, it was on the straps of a saddle bag.

Perhaps there are some other leather treatment products out there that will darken the leather significantly. Brown shoe-polish comes to mind, but I'm not sure what that would do to the seat of your pants.

Your best bet may just be to break in your new saddle on a bike that will see some higher milage, which is a surefire way to darken the leather.
Old 04-05-10, 10:12 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawes-man
Ah, tea! I drink about 5 cups a day of that and always come back from England with a stock of finest Assam. Got loads in the kitchen. Thanks!
That's funny, I'd'a thought they have pretty good tea in Japan!

If you try the tea, I'd like to see before and after photos.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-10, 10:23 AM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
Has anybody tried shoe polish? Does it rub off badly? I've been wondering the same thing with a honey newish B17 that came on a CL bike.
Don't do it if you want your clothes to to remain "skid mark" free.

Personally I don't think much of treating these expensive saddles with anything other than the age-old recipe of Proofhide, sweat and a splash of rain. It's tried and true.
Old 04-05-10, 11:28 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Originally Posted by beech333
Has anybody tried shoe polish? Does it rub off badly?

Don't do it if you want your clothes to to remain "skid mark" free.
That's why bike shorts are black.
Old 04-05-10, 11:32 AM
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
643mL of posterior sweat, stat.
Old 04-05-10, 03:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe Obenauf's will darken it significantly--much more so than proofhide. I myself haven't tried it, but I've seen some before/after photos. Good luck!
Old 04-05-10, 04:19 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That's why bike shorts are black.
1+

or, ride naked.

Actually, I have had good luck with shoe polish on Brooks saddles.

Oh, and I don't think there is anything particularly magical about Proofhide -- it's just wax.

Last edited by RFC; 04-05-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-05-10, 04:20 PM

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Why not just go to a local leather (i was going to say saddle shop, but those might be a little tough to find in Japan) boot store and get some brown dye? I dye my dress shoes and other leather goods all the time. They make a leather dye cleanser also that opens the pores of the leather and cleans any conditioner applied. So clean it, dye it, condition it. And the dye won't soften the leather like an oil will.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 04-05-10, 04:24 PM
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
1+

or, ride naked.
That was my thought for this guy.
Old 04-05-10, 05:10 PM
十人十色

Originally Posted by rhm
That's funny, I'd'a thought they have pretty good tea in Japan!

If you try the tea, I'd like to see before and after photos.

Good luck!
They do but it's green. Funnily enough, though, as I was waking up just now I was wondering what green tea would do to honey. Something I like about the old saddle on the bike now is its very slightly green tinge.

I'll post the pics and thanks!
Old 04-05-10, 05:19 PM
十人十色

Originally Posted by RFC
1+

or, ride naked.

Actually, I have had good luck with shoe polish on Brooks saddles.

Oh, and I don't think there is anything particularly magical about Proofhide -- it's just wax.
And cod oil, which is supposed to be the best thing for leather and is why it smells as it does. That with riding naked might give mixed signals.
Old 04-05-10, 07:20 PM

Bikes: to many to list nor will i

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't use cod or any other oil on a saddle because you will ruin it. Saddles are not ball gloves, they work like a hammock, and if you use oil you will over soften the seat and it will sag...sure you can retension it but it will continue to stretch. Has anyone read the warranty info from Brooks? If not you can access their web site and read it there, but it tells you not to use anything but Proofide or your warranty is voided...makes you wonder why huh?

Shoe polish will rub off onto your shorts and may make it look like you had an "accident" while riding! But it should be good for a few laughs.
Old 04-05-10, 08:32 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah absolutely do not use oil. I used baby oil on my fujita belt and now I can't ride in anything but black shorts. Not sure if it wilk ever stop bleeding dye and oil.
Old 04-05-10, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Besides avoiding too much oil you should also avoid hot heat like an oven or a hair dryer. It will change the way the leather fibers connect with each other and make the leather harder, less flexible and shorter lived. Apply neutral shoe wax, obernauf's or Proofhide on a sunny day and it will sink in enough. It will still take years and thousands of miles for the honey to turn brown. But it will be worth it.
Old 04-06-10, 12:14 AM
十人十色

Originally Posted by Valerie Wilson
Don't use cod or any other oil on a saddle because you will ruin it.

Has anyone read the warranty info from Brooks? If not you can access their web site and read it there, but it tells you not to use anything but Proofide or your warranty is voided...makes you wonder why huh?

My point was that as well as containing wax, Proofide contains cod oil, hence the smell of fish. It also contains vegetable oil and cintronella oil. Cod oil is a basic leather tanning and care product and has been used for hundreds of years. Brooks aren't new kids on the block.

Proofide is the only product I would use on a saddle and as Brooks advise, only very sparingly.

Back to the colour of my saddle. I'm all set to try the tea. Might try green tea first. OTOH, I haven't got the saddle yet and I might decide I like the colour. I doubt it but...
Old 04-06-10, 06:18 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Proofide it a couple of times and then just ride it. If you sweat on it and you will that will in conjunction with your body oils will darken the saddle in no time. Let it age naturally its the best way to make it look, well natural.
Old 04-06-10, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used some saddle oil on a tanned Brooks, made it dark brown. No "sagging" yet. If Proofide is the only thing you should use then try to carefully heat it a bit until almost oily, then apply and leave to dry maybe??
Old 04-06-10, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this on Flickr, which shows the affect of Obenauf's on a Brooks honey-colored Swift: https://www.flickr.com/photos/seditio...7613493709402/

The Obenauf's might be able to resuscitate your 1950's Brooks Professional, as well. Search BF for Obenauf's for opinions on how it treats Brooks saddles. Good luck.
Old 04-06-10, 05:21 PM
十人十色

Originally Posted by SlowRoller
Found this on Flickr, which shows the affect of Obenauf's on a Brooks honey-colored Swift: https://www.flickr.com/photos/seditio...7613493709402/

The Obenauf's might be able to resuscitate your 1950's Brooks Professional, as well. Search BF for Obenauf's for opinions on how it treats Brooks saddles. Good luck.
That's far darker than I'm thinking of, but thanks. As for resuscitating the Pro, I think it's inevitable that 198 lbs on a a piece of leather more than 50 years old is bound to stress it and that seems a pity. It should probably be on someone's show bike or used by someone half my weight.
Old 04-06-10, 07:20 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Neutral Kiwi will darken it and riding will do the rest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.